• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goodbye already to my White PS5

Hate or love it?

• YES

Votes: 101 49.8%
  • NO

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • wtf you idiot

Votes: 69 34.0%

• Total voters

Bo_Hazem

Banned
and hello this this black beauty.

the white stood out too much for me. went with super gloss to match the trim in the middle. might go matte in a few weeks depending on how i feel.

20201118-153307-2.jpg

20201118-153256.jpg

20201118-153231.jpg

20201118-153249.jpg

Looks nice, but your poll doesn't make sense so chose the 3rd one.

I wanna see it painted
Painted black
Black as night
Black as coal
I wanna see the sun
Blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted
Painted black, yeah

Cit. The Rolling Stones

RPSleon

Please polish it properly though. Get rid of that orange peel. Id like it if it was more professionally done.

Fitzchiv

I don't think I'll ever understand people who do this to consoles, but each to their own I guess. I still have nightmares of the wanky 360 faceplates you used to be able to pick up, including the dodgy knock-off ones in the Poundshop. England flag facia anyone? What about a Fanchester United one?

BlackTron

Everyone in here saying it would look better in matte..
bnyBGKM.jpg

looks like dogshit.

Damn. I thought it would look much better. Still better than the white but it didn't solve the look of this system as I thought it would.

The PS5 is trying to look too fancy. The base PS4 made a solid, industrial impression. This looks delicate and flaky in comparison. The panels are coming off it like a husk. It's too try-hard to be techy in a kind of eye-rolling artsy way. Blah.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Looks good. I'd put a decent layer of ceramic coating to prevent from any possible scratches when wiping it clean.

RScrewed

Honestly it looks a whole lot better. Really nice job, I love custom shit like this.

If you had trolled and said these were straight from Sony teasing an all black console I willing to bet you'd get more positive reactions.

What was the job like? Sand, primer, paint?

VanEs

Looks a lot better than the default white. Fingerprint magnet but whatever. Place it, and never touch it again :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Business

Hate to say it but not a fan. Maybe matte would have been better but yeah, I think I see why they went with white.

RScrewed

Hate to say it but not a fan. Maybe matte would have been better but yeah, I think I see why they went with white.

I don't know why people keep saying this, do you guys honestly like matte more? Does it really look better in your minds eye, a matte black PS5? This isn't a car. The very first time I saw it I wanted to see it in gloss black. Take the PS3, the slim matte looked worse than the gloss original IMO (formfactor not withstanding).

Also the PS2 slim with the half gloss top looked a lot better. The Wii/WiiU in gloss black looked a lot better. The 360 Slim in gloss looked a lot better.

Also how often are you all groping your consoles to be worrying about fingerprints? Somehow glossy phones gave gloss black a bad name with the phrase "fingerprint magnet"...it's a piece of set it and forget it hardware. Get a microfiber towel and you're good to go. The bezels of my tvs are gloss and they don't suddenly aquire fingerprints out of no where.

Last edited:

Business

I don't know why people keep saying this, do you guys honestly like matte more? Does it really look better in your minds eye, a matte black PS5? This isn't a car. The very first time I saw it I wanted to see it in gloss black. Take the PS3, the slim matte looked worse than the gloss original IMO (formfactor not withstanding).

Also the PS2 slim with the half gloss top looked a lot better. The Wii/WiiU in gloss black looked a lot better. The 360 Slim in gloss looked a lot better.

Also how often are you all groping your consoles to be worrying about fingerprints? Somehow glossy phones gave gloss black a bad name with the phrase "fingerprint magnet"...it's a piece of set it and forget it hardware. Get a microfiber towel and you're good to go. The bezels of my tvs are gloss and they don't suddenly aquire fingerprints out of no where.

I don't see why I'd go out of my way to post I like matte more if I didn't...

Not everything always looks better glossy or matte, different things different times. At the time the Wii or the DS Lite released glossy looked sick, it was Apple like, like a MacBook. Now MacBooks are not glossy, the Switch is not either and I'm glad it isn't.

Last edited:

RScrewed

What if it gets damaged tomorrow and no warranty? Did you think it over?

The plates were made detachable by Sony themselves. There's likely custom plates on the way direct from them. You do not need to break a "VOID WARRANTY" safety sticker to accomplish this.

This is like suggesting customizing the Xbox 360 faceplate or drawing on it with markers would void your warranty.

Lokaum D+

Just print something like this in a nice matte vynil and wrap ur ps5

wp4866526.jpg

or u can aways buy some nice pearlecent/matte/glossy/carbon fiber vynyl and wrap it like the video

Last edited:

RScrewed

I don't see why I'd go out of my way to post I like matte more if I didn't...

Not everything always looks better glossy or matte, different things different times. At the time the Wii or the DS Lite released glossy looked sick, it was Apple like, like a MacBook. Now MacBooks are not glossy, the Switch is not either and I'm glad it isn't.

It sounds like you just like whatever style is currently "in".

This is all subjective anyway, if you truly do think PS5s shape would lend itself to looking better in matte I'm sure there will be plates customized to achieve that.

I see the lines and curves of the PS5 more like that of a curvy car instead of an angular one - where gloss really brings out the edges of the geometry.

To each his/her own.

mr.dilya

Banned
This. If you painted over the original you're pretty dumb OP.

Buying a new console to do that right off the bat and lose warranty is plain stupid and behind my comprehension, specially in a first gen of a new console, which has a higher probability of having problems. I had problems with first gen PS3 and PS4, if you think I'm just saying this for saying.

You should have bought separated plates already black or painted those, not the original ones.

Man shut the fuck up.

Business

It sounds like you just like whatever style is currently "in".

This is all subjective anyway, if you truly do think PS5s shape would lend itself to looking better in matte I'm sure there will be plates customized to achieve that.

I see the lines and curves of the PS5 more like that of a curvy car instead of an angular one - where gloss really brings out the edges of the geometry.

To each his/her own.

I think that's a massive oversimplification again.

Good job with the paint my man, but the gloss is terrible because of fingerprints and all. I saw you said something about being just an experiment and that you have a paint booth at work, so I hope you can find a better color or finisher for it.

RScrewed

I think that's a massive oversimplification again.

Yes, the part you bolded is, and that is why all of my posts have some supporting sentences on my opinion, which is usually the first sentence of my post. Ironically, you oversimplified my post by trying to call me out in oversimplifying yours.

To recap, I rather like piano black on electronics, cars, appliances especially when they are curvy. There is a line created where the curve changes direction creating an edge, like the animation of Venom, that I think looks sick.

Matte, IMO, is reserved to looking good on things with hard angles, kind of like how matte is more striking on an Aventador over a Murcielago.

Your post seemed to suggest you liked gloss depending on whether or not it was in fashion, if I was supposed to glean something else from your post then perhaps you can clue me in.

Last edited:

Butch_0451

I'm seriously hoping their design team are already working on a design overhaul for the slim. What an ugly bitch of a console.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
My wife wants to paint ours.

I'm a bit squeamish since.. then what happens if it breaks and I need to exchange it? lol

gypsygib

I don't know how to answer this poll...either I respond to a tautology or call the guy an idiot but I'm in no mood to be another asshole on the internet today. So, I guess no response ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom