• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

brentech

Trying to use my Zonda R in GT allstars. Can gold first few events easily, but keep massively failing on the last event and not placing first in the others. My rage level is rising, but I will beat this shit.

UFRA

It's Saturday night, how about we take a break from the grinds of GT5 and do some racing online? :p

Anyone up for it?

thundr51

WHY PD?? WHY??? I just wanted to get some pics of a nice Exige or a nice Elise Sport or something but NOOOO.

Sorry, just had to vent ..

Toxa

my racap of the Super GT party

191614SuzukaCircuit11.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24985237&postcount=210

UFRA

Any other takers on racing online yet tonight? Only have a total of 3 of us right now. Would like at least 5 to have a decent bunch of GAF to at least fend off the crazy randoms lol.

If just 2 more people are down for it I'll start up a room and post the number.

brentech

brentech said:
Trying to use my Zonda R in GT allstars. Can gold first few events easily, but keep massively failing on the last event and not placing first in the others. My rage level is rising, but I will beat this shit.
FML. 2nd Place overall again in the championship. Keep slipping up somewhere. Might try a different car, but I think I'm at 1000miles on my Zonda now. Kind of used to that shit, lol.

anddo0

anddo0 said:
Historic racing car cup at Cote D Azur B-spec is such cheap bullshit. The AI is so f'n terrible here with all the crashes.

I have the Toyota 7 and can't even finish without some random bullshit from the AI. HELP?

Finally won it! In 5th place, seventh lap at the end the tunnel, the dumb ass AI gets into a massive pile up.:lol GT5 has some pretty punishing AI, but the shit I've seen tonight takes the cake. :/

UFRA

Ok, well it looks like maybe it's too late at night to get a good group going.

Perhaps tomorrow we can have another GAF race event. :p

I'm gonna take a break for now.

dwebo

KennyLinder said:
New tweet:

Apparently the Performance Points system and Quick Tune is coming to GT5, like in Prologue (and a basic version in GT PSP). Maybe in Mondays update? Who knows!

Anyway, great news, just need some more events now to use the feature!
Late quote, but I will be sad if they retroactively add PP restrictions to the career events.

Dunno why, but I don't like turning on skid recovery force, because unlike TC, there's no penalty for turning it on and the overall driving feels like you're driving a toy car. It feels like activating a cheat-code lol.

Melfice7

Decarb said:
Dunno why, but I don't like turning on skid recovery force, because unlike TC, there's no penalty for turning it on and the overall driving feels like you're driving a toy car. It feels like activating a cheat-code lol.

skid recovery is basically the 'standard physics' that prologue had

Dead Man

dwebo said:
Late quote, but I will be sad if they retroactively add PP restrictions to the career events.
Yeah, that will limit even further the options to race for XP or Cr. Not a good way to go. I think they should alocate XP by how hard the race was as well as how long, even if it is an amateur race. If you win a hard race at the amateur level, it should still be worth decent XP, instead of making it so it's only worth grinding the highest level events over and over.

Grayman

did some super gt tonight, screwed up on the last lap of fuji. I have noticed that the NSX cars usually are the AI winner, maybe the GTR was a bad choice.

Dead Man said:
Yeah, that will limit even further the options to race for XP or Cr. Not a good way to go. I think they should alocate XP by how hard the race was as well as how long, even if it is an amateur race. If you win a hard race at the amateur level, it should still be worth decent XP, instead of making it so it's only worth grinding the highest level events over and over.
GT4 was like that, xp did nothing but gt4 was like that.

Dead Man

Grayman said:
did some super gt tonight, screwed up on the last lap of fuji. I have noticed that the NSX cars usually are the AI winner, maybe the GTR was a bad choice.

GT4 was like that, xp did nothing but gt4 was like that.
Yeah, it was a little inconsistent some times, but on the whole I liked the A Spec point system better than the current XP system.

Melfice7 said:
skid recovery is basically the 'standard physics' that prologue had
Oh I thought skid recovery only kicked in when your car is about to spin off, like some sort of safety net that'll catch you if you mess up. Otherwise rest of time it just plays like normal GT5, no?

Melfice7

Decarb said:
Oh I thought skid recovery only kicked in when your car is about to spin off, like some sort of safety net that'll catch you if you mess up. Otherwise rest of time it just plays like normal GT5, no?

Well yes but it makes every fuck up so ridiculously easy to fix it's not even funny, standard physics were like that, you could do whatever you wanted and you'd be always fine

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I just worked out i'll need about 4.6m xp to get to level 35 b-spec..and that's from about halfway through lv32.

So roughly two more Suzuka 1000km (11hrs), then switching to Tsukuba 9hr - about 6(!) of those run as overnighters. So probably clear it just before the new year as i'll be off to the folks for Christmas.

Grayman

Failed on Fuji again. Every lap a car was challenging me for first place at the hairpin and I was passing it on the sweeping corner. On the last lap the ai took the second corner so slow that I could not avoid hitting the back on exit. The game decided it was one of the collisions that kicks my back end out and makes me do a 180 into traffic. Comparatively Suzuka in the rain was painlessly easy.

mrklaw said:
So I just worked out i'll need about 4.6m xp to get to level 35 b-spec.. Thats roughly two more Suzuka 1000km (11hrs), then switching to Tsukuba 9hr - about 6(!) of those run as overnighters. So probably clear it just before the new year as i'll be off to the folks for Christmas.
damn even progress quest is less fucked up than that and it doesn't kill hardware.

cilonen

So, um, how afraid of B-spec killing my launch 60 Gb (now modded to 250Gb) PS3 should I be? It's managed to get me to lvl 23. Should I just grind out using shorter races rather than the endurance ones (even though that'll take approximate 18,000,000 man hours longer)?

Edit: really don't want to kill this PS3 as it has hardware backwards compatability.

dwebo

cilonen said:
So, um, how afraid of B-spec killing my launch 60 Gb (now modded to 250Gb) PS3 should I be? It's managed to get me to lvl 23. Should I just grind out using shorter races rather than the endurance ones (even though that'll take approximate 18,000,000 man hours longer)?

Edit: really don't want to kill this PS3 as it has hardware backwards compatability.
Be afraid. Be very afraid. :lol

Joking aside, if you wouldn't play any other game for 7-9hrs straight for fear of breaking your console, then you probably should put aside the thought of b-spec past 30 or so. You could do 2-4hr races to get to 30 easily enough, though, if opening up X1 is all you care about. Otherwise, wait for PD to patch in a minimal graphics mode or b-spec anywhere. (I'll of course laugh when b-spec anywhere still ends up requiring the ps3 to run a fully simulated race)

cilonen

dwebo said:
Be afraid. Be very afraid. :lol

Joking aside, if you wouldn't play any other game for 7-9hrs straight for fear of breaking your console, then you probably should put aside the thought of b-spec past 30 or so. You could do 2-4hr races to get to 30 easily enough, though, if opening up X1 is all you care about. Otherwise, wait for PD to patch in a minimal graphics mode or b-spec anywhere. (I'll of course laugh when b-spec anywhere still ends up requiring the ps3 to run a fully simulated race)

Cheers, I've put in large sessions of Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas before, well, NV doesn't really count as you have to restart the PS3 every hour or so anyway. I leave it on overnight for updates and backups every now and then.. Hmm, I'll be cautious and wait and see what GT anywhere is like.

the_log_ride said:
finishing up the rally special events (not the loeb ones)

The snow sections are especially easy. CPU can't drive for shit

What rally car are you using? The intermediate Rally events were very easy with the C4 WRC I won. Is it still good to go in stock form for the Advanced, or would it need upgrades?

Goldrusher

KennyLinder said:
What rally car are you using? The intermediate Rally events were very easy with the C4 WRC I won. Is it still good to go in stock form for the Advanced, or would it need upgrades?
I used the Martini Lancia for the Advanced events. You can win one in the Trofeo Gallardo.

Mush

KennyLinder said:
I won the Advanced events with the C4 WRC. No upgrades at all.

Grayman

cilonen said:

heavily played for a week. within 3 b spec races my console died. wish i turned it off instead. if you are tired of playing do not put on b spec. PS3 is the only hardware i have had die on me in its useful life. i am pretty choked.

cilonen

Grayman said:
heavily played for a week. within 3 b spec races my console died. wish i turned it off instead. if you are tired of playing do not put on b spec. PS3 is the only hardware i have had die on me in its useful life. i am pretty choked.

Sorry to hear that man, thanks for the warning though; been through 3 360's so I know what it feels like. I think I'm going to take it easy.

KennyLinder said:
No idea, but from memory in Prologue it meant they could limit bhp/weight/ etc etc easily for races, kinda like how Forza works. It would stop people using F40s in Sunday Cup :)
That I like, if it is like GT2. :D

Grayman said:
Damn. And GT5 saves are non-transferable, aren't they?

Only just got to play the game properly - the Top Gear challenges can go to hell. Other than that it's heaven.

Dead Man

Just becuase I can't think of a group on GAF that has a higher appreciation for the 'ring.

http://jalopnik.com/5684589/save-the-nurburgring

Germany's Nürburgring is the world's automotive playground. A public park for gearheads. Sadly, it's been handed over to privateers who've put the entire 'Ring at risk. Michael Frison of 20832.com explains why we need to save the Nürburgring! — Ed.

You might be surprised by reading this headline and I'm aware the subject has not gained much awareness abroad, but there's currently a serious threat to the Nürburgring.

Since it's opening in 1927, the Nurburgring has been under complete public ownership and administration, but in May of this year the complete Nurburgring race track and park was rented out to two privateers (Kai Richter, Jörg Lindner). They have no motorsports background whatsoever, but are the driving forces behind the makeover, which includes the addition of a theme park with a new roller coaster that doesn't work, more hotel capacity than the area needs, a 3,000-seat event arena, and a shopping mall. Everything appears to be far too big and remains empty most of the time.

Save The Nürburgring!They promised private financing, but this soon turned out to be a fake. The Minister of Finance had to resign as a consequence. Despite lack of funding completion of the project continued.

The heavy burden now sitting on Nordschleife's shoulder is the debt of approximately 400 Million Euros, which seems completely unnecessary considering complete race tracks have been constructed for a fraction of this amount.

The issue is complex and has kept fans of the 'Ring busy, but I want to share with you what just happend last week: Nürburgring officials always claim a total of two million visitors per year, but in true Wikileaks style we got ahold of an older internal document (PDF) telling a different story. Promoters always engage in number polishing, but this is of different quality. It appears there's double bookkeeping for real vs. published visitors for all events held at the Ring. Have a look at the graph summarizing the figures:
SKD7I.jpg

Who would dare to claim two million spectators while only 370,000 actually turned up? The Nürburgring did and they based the business plan of the new leisure park on these numbers.

You don't believe me? Ask Sabine next time you meet her. Several investigations have already been triggered by the Department of Public Prosecution, a governmental board of inquiry and the competition department of the European Commission.

And anyone who criticizes the current direction of the 'Ring is answered with force. Wilhelm Hahne — the oldest of the racing Hahne brothers (his brother Armin finished 6th last weekend at the track) — had his house searched in June of last year and as recent as last week received again a warning letter from the Nürburgring lawyers for speaking the truth.

Save The Nürburgring!It really hurts to get sucked into politics and to witness how they treat the heritage we all love. The worst that could happen is enthusiasts be forced to pay the price of a privateer's blunder in the form of higher prices or worse. Threats to the track include reduced maintenance of the track to reduce costs, less motorsports, and restrictions on small clubs running events in the area. Enthusiasts could also be required to book at the new hotels to race at the track.

Please spread the word if you care about Nordschleife and its heritage. Follow ringumbau.de (the documentary community site accompanying the development) and question the information shared by officials.

Michael Frison founded the 20832.com Nurburgring site 10 years ago (ever seen the red-and-white-N logo when at the 'Ring?). He's also the person behind the renn.tv movies (you have probably seen Hans Stuck / BMW M3 GTR / Nordschleife Onboard), and donated the engine/idea of the Gixxerkart. He wears a Che Geuvara T-Shirt when he drives the 'Ring.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My launch JPn PS3 has been fine so far, and it's been on for 2-3 days sometimes. I figure power-cycling it and multiple heat cycles are worse than just letting it stay at a stable temperature. Plus overnight the room is cooler which probably helps.

At the end of the day it's a crap shoot. You might wrap your PS3 in metaphorical cotton wool and it'll still fall over.

cilonen

New favourite car: the masterful Peugeot 908 HDi FAP. Smoother than butter, more torque than a small planet. It's absolutely blowing the Dream Car Championship opponents out of the water.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
330 Horsepower Corvette Grand Sport (C4) '96 in a sports car 400-700HP racers that aren't me, doable? Or should I cry and see if the used car lot has something better?

Also the little Mazda Cosmo that could... couldn't. Beginner Classic Car's is pretty high in HP for some of these things that are stock. The Cosmo is like 119 HP Stock but the racers that have it are 150HP or so. WTF. :|

anddo0

Since 1000 Ticket only counts A-spec wins and miles driven... Is there a way to check A-spec stats only?

I have well over 250 wins but most of those are from B-spec.

-viper-

Banned
What is the best car for GT All Stars B Spec?
My BSpec driver is SOO slow. I made a huge mistake in giving him a cool personality.

I'm also annoyed because I did so many races with him to boost him to level 17.

My 'good' B Spec driver is level 7. I guess I might as well change him now :\

Top Bottom