• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

-viper-

Banned
Psychotext said:
Try this link: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/gran-turismo-5/81077-race-series-what-car-use.html

I believe I used the Minolta.

On a different note, I want to punch whoever in PD came up with the XP values for bspec. In the last day of solid bspec play I've made just shy of one level.

I'll be right back, I think I can hear my PS3 weeping...
same here man. The XP grind is fucking ridiculous

(Level) Required XP for
(01) 500
(02) 640
(03) 819
(04) 1048
(05) 1341
(06) 1716
(07) 2196
(08) 2811
(09) 3598
(10) 4605
(11) 5894
(12) 7544
(13) 9656
(14) 12,360
(15) 15,821
(16) 20,251
(17) 25,921
(18) 33,179
(19) 42,469
(20) 54,360
(21) 69,581
(22) 89,064
(23) 114,002
(24) 145,923
(25) 186,781
(26) 239,080
(27) 306,022
(28) 391,708
(29) 501,386
(30) 641,774
(31) 821,471
(32) 1,051,483
(33) 1,345,898
(34) 1,722,749
(35) 2,205,119
(36) 2,822,552
(37) 3,612,867
(38) 4,624,470
(39) 5,919,322
(40) 7,576,732

FUCK.

Also, why are the prize cars in this game so shit? :(

They were fucking awesome in GT3 and GT4. The money is also measly. This game feels pretty empty to me. It is so good to drive, but the structure is terrible. Grinding is not fun - it's torture. :(

By my calculations you'll need to run Le Mans 24 hours 11 times to go from 35 to 40 in bspec.

That's over a week (pushing two weeks) of having the PS3 on 24 hours a day... You bunch of fucking clowns.

-viper-

Banned
I'm going to stop the grind once I get my X1 @ B-Spec 35. No point to even try acquiring the trophies for the game. It's going to kill my PS3.

dwebo

Psychotext said:
By my calculations you'll need to run Le Mans 24 hours 7 times with a side order of one Tsukuba 9 hours race to go from 35 to 40 in bspec.

That's a week and a bit of having the PS3 on 24 hours a day... You bunch of fucking clowns.
It's even worse than that:

xp for 35->40
2822552 + 3612867 + 4624470 + 5919322 + 7576732 = 24555943

xp for 24hr Le Mans

24555943 / 2241184 = 10.9566832

11 fucking days! :lol

edit: damn your edit

Fucking Toyota 7 Race Car '70!...

That car is so far ahead of all the others in the Historic Racing Car Cup that it shouldn't even be there.

I got my tiny underpowered Countach, I manage to get 1st place but eventually he catches up and stays so close to me and makes me go off track. ARGH!

Hopefully it will be in tomorrows update where XP is boosted. Based on a recent Tweet by Kaz, it sounds like we are getting some sort of XP boost. "Something something Xmas present that isn't a car, but is good for people without much time"

offshore

-viper- said:
Also, why are the prize cars in this game so shit? :(
I don't think they're that bad. I won the Celica Rally Car for one of the rally events, and it's come in so handy. I've used it for everything. Great to drive as well.

Well, the AI and AI scaling seems to get worse as the game goes on. I enter the European Champoinship with a 458 Italia thinking I'll be in for a bit of a challenge....and what cars am I racing against? Golf's, Volvo's and SL Coupe's. I mean what the fuck?

A Level 22 event and I'm racing against those cars? It's fucking unbelievably stupid. AI and scaling has gone so far backwards in GT5 it's mindboggling. And it's basic stuff. The game should be deducing "well, if he's in an Italia, we'd better give him a challenge"

Ugh.

offshore said:
I enter the European Champoinship with a 458 Italia thinking I'll be in for a bit of a challenge....and what cars am I racing against? Golf's, Volvo's and SL Coupe's. I mean what the fuck?

I think this event would be awesome IF and only if the events had limitations. As a few of us have said previously, there is little to no point in owning an Impreza or Evo in this game, and the same can be said for Euro cars like the BMW 1 Series etc. If that race event had a limitation you'd use something like that and it would be ace. Instead everyone uses a Ferrari because they have bought one already.

Instead of 1 event for Euro cars there should be an entire EU section (like there is a Beginner, Professional section) with loads of different events in it. It would be so easy for them to do it too, they have everything they need!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
-viper- said:
I'm going to stop the grind once I get my X1 @ B-Spec 35. No point to even try acquiring the trophies for the game. It's going to kill my PS3.
Same. Of course, you don't need to be in a hurry. After level 35, i'll wait for GT anywhere to show it's face, then do maybe one 24hr race a week.

Got the 'arch rivals' trophy simply by playing arcade mode split screen. If you don't have two people, doesn't matter, just select an impreza sti '10 and evo X and leave one player sitting there.

brentech

I know everyone would love more events and everything (as do I), but I just spent a cool hour running similar powered/spec'd cars in practice mode on Trial Mountain seeing what kind of times than ran against each other.
I love the driving in this game so much. I really get sucked into the game and just get into a 'zone' at times.

Absolutely love it, but I can understand the desire for some improvements to the progression and overall gameyness.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man, they have the HKS Racing Controller at my local Gamestop...I'm really debating whether or not I should go for it...hmmm...

offshore

KennyLinder said:
I think this event would be awesome IF and only if the events had limitations.
Absolutely, but like most events, the game also needs better AI selection, whatever the car of choice is. The game should look and go, "they're in Car X, so let's select cars with similar performance to give them a challenge". I mean with a thousand cars, how hard could that be?

Otherwise it's the just same old problem. If your car's too slow, you have to stick a huge turbo on it. Once you've installed said turbo, you win easily. If the game had better AI scaling, the game wouldn't have this problem. It's baffling as to why it's going on.

Along with the stupid AI, it's really ruining my enjoyment of GT Mode as so many races are just chores. Why should it be up to me to try to find a race that gives me close racing? It should be up to the goddamn game.

KennyLinder said:
Instead of 1 event for Euro cars there should be an entire EU section (like there is a Beginner, Professional section) with loads of different events in it. It would be so easy for them to do it too, they have everything they need!

Yeah, GT4 had this and I'm surprised that they did not continue it in order to beef up the SP mode. GT4 was deeeeeeep lol.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
offshore said:
Absolutely, but like most events, the game also needs better AI selection, whatever the car of choice is. The game should look and go, "they're in Car X, so let's select cars with similar performance to give them a challenge". I mean with a thousand cars, how hard could that be?
That's actually how it works when you do an A-Spec race on a custom track. There's always one or two cars in that selection that give you a run for your money, but are still beatable.

If that race actually gave me money/XP, I'd do nothing but custom track runs forever. So much fun.

Yoritomo

Can your B-Spec driver take over for you during an A-Spec endurance race? I haven't bothered starting an endurance race to find out.:lol

dalin80

Banned
GT5's a-spec mode is pretty dire, the classes are mismatched and have odd requirements and later events give pathetic rewards.

My wish list-

Many more race series
Higher financial reward
Much smother level progression
Re-winnable prize cars
Someone to finish coding the endurance races.

Then maybe I will start playing the game again, havent touched it for a week because of the grind.

X-Frame

h3ro said:
The "game" part of this game sucks. Complete trash.

x2. It's total shit. Incomplete, ass-backwards, and tedious.

The only thing that can save this game is a strong MP presence, which isn't off to a good start. The actual driving in the game is great but everything else blows.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
X-Frame said:

The only thing that can save this game is a strong MP presence, which isn't off to a good start. The actual driving in the game is great but everything else blows.
I'd say:

A/B Spec Mode: not that good at all.
Special Events/Licenses: Absolutely fantastic.

expy

Banned
X-Frame said:

We now know why it isn't called "The REAL driving game"

-viper-

Banned
chubigans said:
I'd say:

A/B Spec Mode: not that good at all.
Special Events/Licenses: Absolutely fantastic.
Licenses are pretty boring if you ask me :p

1000M BRAKING TEST
BRAKE BEFORE ENTERING CORNER
OVERTAKE A CAR

etc.

I've only done A and B so far though. Done most of iC but can't really be bothered.

edit: They're helpful, but, I feel there are too many licenses.

Branson

Wait, i thought a b spec driver could take over for you in enduros. So you have to race an entire 24hrs? Why did they take that out?

Angst

Ok, here we go with the whining again... :-/

So instead of repeating the things everyone (including me) is annoyed with I'm just going to say that online events - Super GT with GAF and car restricted races with friends are a fucking blast!

Me and my buddy racing towards the chicanes on Monza:
2x9zYl.jpg

offshore

chubigans said:
That's actually how it works when you do an A-Spec race on a custom track. There's always one or two cars in that selection that give you a run for your money, but are still beatable.

If that race actually gave me money/XP, I'd do nothing but custom track runs forever. So much fun.
I just made a new course on CM and started a race in my Italia, and all other eleven opponents were a GT by Citroen :lol

Though to be fair it was a bit of a challenge...

dalin80

Banned
Branson said:
Wait, i thought a b spec driver could take over for you in enduros. So you have to race an entire 24hrs? Why did they take that out?

The endurance races scream if being thrown in at the last minute, in fact the A-spec mode has the feel of being untested.

Branson

Angst said:
Ok, here we go with the whining again... :-/

So instead of repeating the things everyone (including me) is annoyed with I'm just going to say that online events - Super GT with GAF and car restricted races with friends are a fucking blast!

Me and my buddy racing towards the chicanes on Monza:
QUOTE]How do you take pics of an online race

I was racing with 2 other friends online and noticed a strange thing: we all purchased the Ferrari 458 Italia, and they all come with 562 HP, but mine has only 546 HP. Why?

We didn't change anything in the car (except for the color).

Angst

Branson said:
How do you take pics of an online race? Last time I looked you couldn't watch replays from online, unless I missed an option somewhere.
It's sort of hidden. After the race you go to the race lounge and press the little item that says "Results", which shows you the results from the last race. At that screen there's a Save Replay option. I found this yesterday and watching online replays are pretty nice. Although for some reason you can only watch it in the "TV" camera.

Black_Mamba said:
I was racing with 2 other friends online and noticed a strange thing: we all purchased the Ferrari 458 Italia, and they all come with 562 HP, but mine has only 546 HP. Why?

We didn't change anything in the car (except for the color).
They most likely did an oil change first thing which raises the BHP by about that amount.

Branson

Angst said:
It's sort of hidden. After the race you go to the race lounge and press the little item that says "Results", which shows you the results from the last race. At that screen there's a Save Replay option. I found this yesterday and watching online replays are pretty nice. Although for some reason you can only watch it in the "TV" camera.

They most likely did an oil change first thing which raises the BHP by about that amount.
Sweet thanks.

avaya

-viper- said:
same here man. The XP grind is fucking ridiculous

(Level) Required XP for
(01) 500
(02) 640
(03) 819
(04) 1048
(05) 1341
(06) 1716
(07) 2196
(08) 2811
(09) 3598
(10) 4605
(11) 5894
(12) 7544
(13) 9656
(14) 12,360
(15) 15,821
(16) 20,251
(17) 25,921
(18) 33,179
(19) 42,469
(20) 54,360
(21) 69,581
(22) 89,064
(23) 114,002
(24) 145,923
(25) 186,781
(26) 239,080
(27) 306,022
(28) 391,708
(29) 501,386
(30) 641,774
(31) 821,471
(32) 1,051,483
(33) 1,345,898
(34) 1,722,749
(35) 2,205,119
(36) 2,822,552
(37) 3,612,867
(38) 4,624,470
(39) 5,919,322
(40) 7,576,732

Holy shit.

Who are the dipshits who thought this was a good idea or a completely separate B-spec mode was a good idea?

Bleh I am stuck (of some sort). So close but still so far. I need to grind Polyphony Cup for 6 more times (out of 10) to get to level 21 (in b-spec) to open up Like The Wind to win Toyota 7 to win Historic Car Cup in A and B-Spec. Still no sight of F1 car either, soon I will have enough money to buy the Ferrari F1 anyway...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
offshore said:

Otherwise it's the just same old problem. If your car's too slow, you have to stick a huge turbo on it. Once you've installed said turbo, you win easily. If the game had better AI scaling, the game wouldn't have this problem. It's baffling as to why it's going on.

Along with the stupid AI, it's really ruining my enjoyment of GT Mode as so many races are just chores. Why should it be up to me to try to find a race that gives me close racing? It should be up to the goddamn game.
Agreed. And then use the different tiers to reduce the gap in performance between you and the AI, and increase the AI skill level.

Right now they have cars with almost arbitrary BHP figures, bearing no relation to stock figures. So even with the same cars they could easily tweak BHP up/down based on your car

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PetriP-TNT said:
Bleh I am stuck (of some sort). So close but still so far. I need to grind Polyphony Cup for 6 more times (out of 10) to get to level 21 (in b-spec) to open up Like The Wind to win Toyota 7 to win Historic Car Cup in A and B-Spec. Still no sight of F1 car either, soon I will have enough money to buy the Ferrari F1 anyway...
Formula GT is the only car allowed in the formula GT races. And you can't use either Ferrari F1 car for any a-spec or b-spec races...

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished endurance race #5 - 172 laps around Suzuka Circuit. Took me 5hr 16min (this time I paused and took a 2hr break during the race). I only got 324,000 credits and a standard car prize, but it gave tons of exp :D

Can you get the X1 by reaching lv 35 in a-spec mode or is it only b-spec?

mrklaw said:
And you can't use either Ferrari F1 car for any a-spec or b-spec races...
Why is this? *looks at his 12 million credit paper weight*

avaya

celcius said:
Why is this? *looks at his 12 million credit paper weight*

Becuase the game was designed by a masochist.

It's a travesty, you bother to get those F1 cars for the game and then you can't use them for shit :lol

turnbuckle

Ughh...the Nascar event on Expert pisses me off. I easily won the first 3 races in the tournament, but finished 7th in the fourth, and last in the final and ended up getting a silver trophy. It took me about 20 tries to finish first in the last track, and I didn't realize you don't get a reward for having a gold trophy in each of them...but rather have to get a gold trophy through the tournament. The AI is hell bent on slamming me and spinning me out if I take the lead, so the only strategy that's worked for me is hanging out in last place until the final lap and then drafting my way to the front.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
avaya said:
Holy shit.

Who are the dipshits who thought this was a good idea or a completely separate B-spec mode was a good idea?

It's not that bad until you hit level 13 without doing licenses, then you start to hit the wall.

In fact, it's easier to level up in B-Spec just doing races for money than it is A-spec. B-Spec gives a set amount of EXP per race. Once you gold a A-Spec race, doing it again gives you a lot less, I feel. (Or maybe it's a placebo effect of doing easier/passed over level races).

I'm stuck at level 13 in A-Spec while nearly level 15 in B-Spec. The issue I have with A-Spec right now is that I need a class 300 or so HP 1960 Muscle Car that's able to do the classic Muscle Car beginner and Pro level races. :|

Also SMH @ Kaz putting a Mini '98 in as the A-Spec Mini '00-07 race reward. YES, BECAUSE I REALLY WANT ANOTHER MINI.

UFRA

Black_Mamba said:
They didn't change oil or anything... And it sucks cause the car is actually faster during races.

Are you sure? Because that HP difference looks very much like the common boost you get from an oil change.

Also, maybe they drove their car a lot in single player? Once an engine starts to break-in, it gains more HP.

My Corvette ZR1 RM maxed out at 877HP including oil change. Once I put a few hundred miles on it, I now have 905HP from it. :D

h3ro

mrklaw said:
Formula GT is the only car allowed in the formula GT races. And you can't use either Ferrari F1 car for any a-spec or b-spec races...

That makes perfect sense.

I'm getting bitter and not enjoying the driving because I know I have to deal with this nonsense. I'm gonna stop playing A/Bspec for a while. I'll be there for the SuperGT trackdays, guys.

Time to start up on the pile of stuff I brought from Amazon. First up, Prince of Persia. :lol

UFRA

KennyLinder said:
Hopefully it will be in tomorrows update where XP is boosted. Based on a recent Tweet by Kaz, it sounds like we are getting some sort of XP boost. "Something something Xmas present that isn't a car, but is good for people without much time"

Wait, so the surprise Christmas update we get is coming tomorrow?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
UFRA said:
Are you sure? Because that HP difference looks very much like the common boost you get from an oil change.

Also, maybe they drove their car a lot in single player? Once an engine starts to break-in, it gains more HP.

My Corvette ZR1 RM maxed out at 877HP including oil change. Once I put a few hundred miles on it, I now have 905HP from it. :D

WAT.

Real cars don't work that way, last I checked. They lose HP over years/driving.

UFRA said:

Really? That explains it. Actually, we have the same car, but it's like this: Mine has 546 HP, one friend's has 557 HP and the other 562 HP. And it's exactly the gameplay proportion we had so far (I don't play too often, but my friend does).

Thanks for the clarification. The game is more realistic than I could imagine. :)

Top Bottom