• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

dalin80

Banned
TheSeks said:
WAT.

Real cars don't work that way, last I checked. They lose HP over years/driving.

Run a new engine carefully with the right oil and fuel and you will get more power from it as it runs in, this can take thousands of miles on a road going engine, after that though its all downhill.

UFRA

TheSeks said:
WAT.

Real cars don't work that way, last I checked. They lose HP over years/driving.

That's true over years and what-not. However, properly breaking in an engine that's brand new can actually give you a power boost.

It's still not realistic in GT5's standpoint though, because driving a car hard from mile 0 - as in a racing manner - is not exactly the proper way to break-in an engine. Yet, regardless of how you drive it you gain the HP in GT5.

So they have the concept right, but the method of executing it is wrong.

Nafai1123

Banned
I don't understand how anyone is needing to grind before they hit level 20. I did not need to repeat a single A-spec race (besides not getting the gold) until now (currently 21, trying to get to 22).

-viper-

Banned
I'm level 20 at the moment in A Spec. I have no fucking idea how to get to level 21. None of the races are giving me anywhere near enough XP. I need 38,000 XP and at best I'm getting 4,000 by racing 7 minutes on the nurburgring. :\

h3ro said:
That makes perfect sense.

I'm getting bitter and not enjoying the driving because I know I have to deal with this nonsense. I'm gonna stop playing A/Bspec for a while. I'll be there for the SuperGT trackdays, guys.

Time to start up on the pile of stuff I brought from Amazon. First up, Prince of Persia. :lol

I´m grinding up to level 30 on both specs, then the plan is to beat the x1 challenge, stop grinding and enjoy the game for a bit.

I´m glad i´m not the only one hating the progression on this game.

-viper- said:
I'm level 20 at the moment in A Spec. I have no fucking idea how to get to level 21. None of the races are giving me anywhere near enough XP. I need 38,000 XP and at best I'm getting 4,000 by racing 7 minutes on the nurburgring. :\

Play something else while u wait for the patch with XP boost and online XP.

-viper- said:
Do the special events. Or maybe even play the licenses, there's plenty of XP to get around. 24 -> 25 was the first time I got stuck for a short period (1 race)

edit: lvl 21 b-spec WOOT

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
UFRA said:
That's true over years and what-not. However, properly breaking in an engine that's brand new can actually give you a power boost.

It's still not realistic in GT5's standpoint though, because driving a car hard from mile 0 - as in a racing manner - is not exactly the proper way to break-in an engine. Yet, regardless of how you drive it you gain the HP in GT5.

Interesting. Learn something new everyday.

I think I need to get to level 15 before I can borrow your Miata, meanwhile. I forgot I'm a lowly level 13 and having to grind to 15/19 for the last Top Gear challenge. You happen to have a suped up Classic Muscle Car I can use to not troll the used car lot for one? :lol

avaya

Haven't had much time with it so far, but I've gotten to the stage where I'm actually actively saving attempting S-license for a bit to try and add something different in between the tedious grinding to come. It's ridiculous.

UFRA

TheSeks said:
Interesting. Learn something new everyday.

I think I need to get to level 15 before I can borrow your Miata, meanwhile. I forgot I'm a lowly level 13 and having to grind to 15/19 for the last Top Gear challenge. You happen to have a suped up Classic Muscle Car I can use to not troll the used car lot for one? :lol

Hmm, good question. I borrowed a 'Cuda Six Pack from a friend for that event. I have 156 cars now though, so I'm bound to have something worth using at this point.

I'll get my game started up and let you know shortly.

avaya

ssolitare said:
So you guys are getting mad at the grind because you are rushing to get the X1 or trophies?

No because I never hated the grind in previous GT games.

The issue is how extreme they've made it now, mandatory b-spec and the fact they give you absolutely shit prize cars.

-viper-

Banned
ssolitare said:
So you guys are getting mad at the grind because you are rushing to get the X1 or trophies?
I'm trying to complete the Extreme events but the Level requirement is stopping me from starting the Like The Wind event! And what ayaya said.

avaya said:
No because I never hated the grind in previous GT games.

The issue is how extreme they've made it now, mandatory b-spec and the fact they give you absolutely shit prize cars.

Yeah I really do hate the prize car situation.

Angst

-viper- said:
I'm trying to complete the Extreme events but the Level requirement is stopping me from starting the Like The Wind event! And what ayaya said.
Have you done all the challenges that are available to you? Those deliver quite a lot of XP and should get the event unlocked. I didn't have to grind until I wanted to open up Endurance.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Angst said:
Have you done all the challenges that are available to you? Those deliver quite a lot of XP and should get the event unlocked. I didn't have to grind until I wanted to open up Endurance.

After a certain level, no they don't. IIRC someone posted in OT1 (or this OT) that the license tests EXP is DISMAL after level 10 or something like that. And that you should do those early if you want the EXP to be good.

mandatory b-spec and the fact they give you absolutely shit prize cars.

That Japanese business truck for both the A/B-Spec Truck races where you need an "F1 car" to win... WTF and SMH Kaz. :lol

About to hit Level 24 doing the level 20 Rally events. No grinding done yet at all! Combination of not spending too much money buying of upgrading cars and doing the Special Events whenever possible.

UFRA said:

This is true, however I remember reading an article by a new BMW M3 (E46) owner in a BMW magazine in the UK saying the opposite is also true.

He bought his brand new, and hammered the shit out of it from day one. After 100 very hard miles he would change the oil and filter, and then continue to hammer to 1000 miles and change the oil/filter once more. He then worked by the cars normal servicing. He claimed giving the car a hard time from 0 miles actually benefited the M3 because it sat the seals and pistons in more efficiently. Probably not much in it though..

UFRA

ssolitare said:
Yeah I really do hate the prize car situation.

I think the most comical one for me so far was the Turbo series in B-Spec.

The description of the event makes it sound like you'll be racing some mega powerful cars.

So I won the event, and was very excited for a cool turbocharged car.

I was quite amused when I was awarded a
Honda CITY Turbo '83
. :lol

What a joke.

offshore

I'm desperate to get all Gold on the NASCAR school so I'd don't have to spend 500,000k on a NASCAR, but goddamit those last three challenges are kicking my ass.

Even after meticulously studying videos on YouTube of people getting gold I still can't get anywhere close :lol

UFRA

KennyLinder said:
This is true, however I remember reading an article by a new BMW M3 (E46) owner in a BMW magazine in the UK saying the opposite is also true.

He bought his brand new, and hammered the shit out of it from day one. After 100 very hard miles he would change the oil and filter, and then continue to hammer to 1000 miles and change the oil/filter once more. He then worked by the cars normal servicing. He claimed giving the car a hard time from 0 miles actually benefited the M3 because it sat the seals and pistons in more efficiently. Probably not much in it though..

I can see how maybe that would be the case for high performance cars like an M3. Those engine are built to take a beating, so who knows. I wouldn't try it with a Honda Civic though. lol

Bad news, Seks. I don't have a Classic Muscle car worth a damn for that event. :/ Probably since I borrowed one from a friend for that event, I didn't bother to do anything to the cars I own now.

But there is something waiting in your garage. :p

offshore said:
I'm desperate to get all Gold on the NASCAR school so I'd don't have to spend 500,000k on a NASCAR, but goddamit those last three challenges are kicking my ass.

Even after meticulously studying videos on YouTube of people getting gold I still can't get anywhere close :lol

Enable the RA functions on your controller, then when the race starts, quickly turn off ASM. This makes those challenges super easy.

UFRA

offshore said:

If you have the RA Function menu mapped to your buttons, disable ASM at the start of the race.

If not, then go into driving options pre-race and disable ABS. It will automatically disable ASM, which is what slows you down.

Just be careful on the brakes then. :p

Edit: beaten :p

oblo

I just love buying, upgrading and trying out cars I don't really need...

397_autodromo_nazionale_monza.jpg

f73_autodromo_nazionale_monza.jpg

cb6_high_speed_ring.jpg

Grinding = driving, right? And isn't driving what this game is all about? I quite enjoy it actually.

0a5_image2.png

UFRA

oblo said:
Grinding = driving, right? And isn't driving what this game is all about? I quite enjoy it actually.

Yeah, up to the mid 20's the game progresses pretty nicely.

Once you get beyond that, it makes driving not fun anymore. I don't care how fun driving is, I don't want to do the same race 87 times...

*goes off to grind for money from the American Series*

oblo

Progression is slowing down, true, just not bored with it yet... Some kind of random event generator based on the car you use would be a great way to make this the game of forever for me...

turnbuckle

offshore said:

I'm pretty awful at this game still, but those challenges ended up being stupid easy once I turned off ABS. You should be able to gold them in no time :D

Metalmurphy said:
Play something else while u wait for the patch with XP boost and online XP.

Is this, and the "bspec anywhere" actually in the works or is it just wishful thinking? BSpec is almost depressing how long it takes to finish a race, and I've been avoiding online play altogether because I'm still in the mode where I want to play for progression more than to just play for fun. The progression is the fun part for me atm, and anything that slows that down ends up feeling like a drag.

Bspec was tolerable when I really could just sit the controller down and do something productive, but now that I'm in the 20s level races I'm finding I actually have to do some micro-managing. It's almost torturous and had kept me from even bothering to want to turn the game on for a few days this past week.

oblo said:
Progression is slowing down, true, just not bored with it yet... Some kind of random event generator based on the car you use would be a great way to make this the game of forever for me...

Yeah, that'd make things a lot more interesting. I don't necessarily care about leveling "faster" (though it'd be nice if experience requirements could come down a little bit, or the bonuses bumped up a bit) but having a garage full of cars that I don't use because they're inefficient or simply unable to win the available events while using the same 8-10 cars to do the same events over and over can get a bit tiring.

DuckRacer

chubigans said:
I'd say:

A/B Spec Mode: not that good at all.
Special Events/Licenses: Absolutely fantastic.
A-spec: shit
B-spec: :lol
Licenses: :lol :lol

Honestly even some of the special events are terrible. All the Top Gear challenges for example – the VW Bus one is excruciatingly boring, the Lotus one is terrible, and the Kubelwagen one would be cool except the AI t-bones both myself and other cars without even braking or trying evasive maneuvers. Nascar is poorly designed – why do I have to level up to level 21 to move beyond mindnumbing overtaking and driving line challenges? (I'm assuming the "advanced" portion incorporates actual races, I haven't unlocked them yet because screw completing all the licenses just for the mere possibility to move from lvl20 -> 21.)

Karting is soooo good though, I hope PD expands on that with DLC.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
oblo said:

0a5_image2.png
Yeah, I don't get the complaints about grinding. I mean, if I wanted to reach level 30 today, sure, I'd have to do a hell of a lot of grinding and would probably get immensely frustrated. But I love just racing a few times a day and checking out some awesome cars.

offshore

DuckRacer said:
(I'm assuming the "advanced" portion incorporates actual races, I haven't unlocked them yet because screw completing all the licenses just for the mere possibility to move from lvl20 -> 21.)
Who wants to break it to him? :p

Well, two of them are two laps left challenges, and the other is exiting from pit into the field for the last two laps.

So, I suppose you could call them races of sorts.

Angst

chubigans said:
Yeah, I don't get the complaints about grinding. I mean, if I wanted to reach level 30 today, sure, I'd have to do a hell of a lot of grinding and would probably get immensely frustrated. But I love just racing a few times a day and checking out some awesome cars.
Yes, that's the way to do it to avoid getting frustrated. I don't care about the X1 and the Formula GT. I've reached level 26 and basically everything is unlocked. Now I race online and do time trials to find out what car to use in our next online event and get those lap times down as far as I can. Now and again I do an A-Spec event where i can use a car that's closely matched to the AIs car and don't really care about the money/XP anymore.

If all you think about is getting to level 40 and the platinum trophy the grind will be unbearable.

Grayman

Gloomfire said:
Question: How many hours of play do the in game days correlate to? Or is there even a calculation?
a day is each time a track is loaded or race is ran. Skipping licenses tests with the arrows is a day but i am not sure if repeating one 5 times is 5 days.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Gloomfire said:
Question: How many hours of play do the in game days correlate to? Or is there even a calculation?
I wish it correlated to time-spent somehow. Mine says over 1200 in game days :lol

Also, does anyone know if getting to lv 35 in a-spec mode unlocks anything? I'm pretty close in a-spec but probably won't bother with b-spec anymore...

*phew* Managed to gold the Historic Racing Car Cup with the Countach! That was intensive, and awesome :D Racing at it's finest. Had to be a dick not letting the Toyota 7 Race Car pass in the last 2 laps but that thing was too fast for this race so whatever...

Gloomfire said:
Which Countach? I have a 7xx HP Charger with Racing Mods that can't come close to winning the first race :(.

Lamborghini Countach LP400 '74 Fully modded. You can't race mod it though.

It's HARD, but doable, if you have a Toyota 7 in front of you in the grid, you either over take it on the first corner, or you might as well restart. If you managed to get to first you can gain a few seconds on corners, specially the last 2 if you do it right, then just do the rest of the lap perfect and don't let them pass.

chubigans said:
That's fine up to a certain point (actually, probably level 30 or so)... and then you start having to repeat events, which SUUUUUUUUCKS.

Top Bottom