• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

What's also strange is I have some DLs queue up (Games with Gold) and it is constantly downloading and then stopping and restarting. Is that related to GTA Online?
Yes, downloading something is using the Internet, the same time GTA Online is using the Internet.

NyMartin

Banned
I think people are giving Rockstar too much credit and the benefit of the doubt, when I believe they really weren't prepared for this. This feels to me almost as bad as SimCity's launch, where less than 5% of customers can actually play the multiplayer game. If they knew it would be this bad they should've delayed it.

Rockstar should have had a beta

Garland7G

jesus christ you people think you're so entitled to this thing working from minute one. doesnt every damn major online game have issues on launch?

considering rockstar sent out a press release explicitily stating there will be issues, and considering there was issues with the single player aspect tied into rockstar's servers, this whole thing should come as no surprise to anybody.

"i paid my $60 damnit, this should work from the second i want it to."

Patience. Get some.

So if you pay, you're not entitled to a product that works? If this was a free beta then okay your statement has some merit, but since we all paid...

U2NUMB

What's also strange is I have some DLs queue up (Games with Gold) and it is constantly downloading and then stopping and restarting. Is that related to GTA Online?

Certainly sounds like it.. that is the xbox detecting weather its connected to an online type game or not.

And for those defending this... online issues aside. If this is changing or removing things in the single player.. anything at all then I would assume even you would say that is not acceptable.

I think my girl turned out pretty hot.

4F0gR.jpg

TideTime

I think people are giving Rockstar too much credit and the benefit of the doubt, when I believe they really weren't prepared for this. This feels to me almost as bad as SimCity's launch, where less than 5% of customers can actually play the multiplayer game. If they knew it would be this bad they should've delayed it.

They had a beta.

bob page

We will see. Online has only been out for 5 hours while SimCity's issues persisted for weeks.

At least I can still play GTA's single player for now.

eival

wow so it says "downloading" each time i try to do a mission, and it goes away after a second, earlier when i was first in it would take a few seconds, i can only assume that since the f'n servers arent working it cant even download single player missions in a Solo/private session and so it just "fails" cause theres nothing to load.

Tawpgun

Make sure it's not just you with free aim. If you have free aim but everyone else has lock on then rip.

I still think the best solution is to make it lock on against npc's and free aim for other players.

Man, character creation is a huge disappointment for me.

Not even really a point to having it when it's so bare bones. I mean you seem to have such little control over what your character actually looks like. The heritage thing really only seems to be useful for determining your race. Aside from that it's essentially just scrolling through presets.

They really should have expanded it into something worth calling a character creator.

Not trying to just mindlessly bash it but, damn, I really feel like Rockstar could have done better.

Heimbeck

Banned

Not even really a point to having it when it's so bare bones. I mean you seem to have such little control over what your character actually looks like. The heritage thing really only seems to be useful for determining your race. Aside from that it's essentially just scrolling through presets.

They really should have expanded it into something worth calling a character creator.

Not trying to just mindlessly bash it but, damn, I really feel like Rockstar could have done better.

One aspect I think that Saints Row beats GTA hands down.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
And for those defending this... online issues aside. If this is changing or removing things in the single player.. anything at all then I would assume even you would say that is not acceptable.

I agree on the whole. I guess that is part of the dangers involved with integrating both SP and MP so closely.

Just gonna take some getting used to for me.

Hip fire and strafing are your friends :)

SimCity launch, Diablo 3 launch, Final Fantasy 14 launch...why are people surprised GTA Online is having problems?

Yeah, at least with this launch you can still play the main game as its intended. Sim City, Diablo 3, etc., you couldn't even play the game.

The desire and expectation for online gaming has always exceeded the ability for developers to provide a stable experience out of the gate... always. Things are much better now.

eival

i also love how i have to fenagle the 3-4 various ways to actually access the Online section since 2-3 of them just have "okay its broken load up single player again"

actually going into the "Online Tab" in single player appears to be the only one that will let you keep tapping B to retry and eventually get in...but obviously the actual Mission servers are screwed up so unless you just wanna rob stores, theres nothing else to be done.

Gaz_RB

Make sure it's not just you with free aim. If you have free aim but everyone else has lock on then rip.

I still think the best solution is to make it lock on against npc's and free aim for other players.

If other people have lock on that's stupid because I can't even change mine

One aspect I think that Saints Row beats GTA hands down.

Which is why I used the SR character creator for a few hours and just skipped the game.

I'm glad if it's locked on free aim. The locks were good for east co-op but if they want rewards to be tied to heists and missions then I'd rather people have to earn it a bit more. Especially if you are fighting other players.

pringles

The fact problems can be expected doesn't really excuse that they've seemingly built the game to not even have basic functionality when there are server issues. Solo session should fucking be functional.

Imo the real character creation is clothes/hair/glasses/car. Not like people actually will see your face when playing.

eival

and these 30 second unskippable cutscenes for each character each time singleplayer has to load which normally only had to be seen maybe once per play session are really great to see about 20 times in the last few hours going back and forth trying to access and losing access Online...whats the point of having the MP character on the wheel if its not going to just seamlessly switch over like it does the original 3 guys in SP?

especially when going to MP thru the character wheel doesnt allow you to keep hitting the X button to retry, so its not even worth presenting it as a faster/easier way, id rather pause and go to "Online" and have the refresh option if need be....this is really building an emersive experience

but im sure the closed LAN testing they did presented none of these issues....they clearly didnt purchase any new servers after the iFruit app and Social Club disaster these last 2 weeks...

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I swear a Bureau mission disappeared off my map when failing to connect to online.

After you (late game stuff)
get the architects blueprints with franklin for the agency break in. There was a B on the map right? Along with another Solomon mission I did.

Can anyone who's actually got into the game give some impressions? What's it like underneath all of the errors and disconnections and freezes?

I think it's ridiculous to say "it was delayed so it wouldn't affect the review scores", especially when barely anyone has actually had significant hands on time with the mode at initial launch - let alone 3 months down the line.

At this stage, it's far too early to judge the actual quality of the online content - server issues do not equal an inherently bad game.

Besides, the single player deserved all the praise it got and then more.

I just got into a solo session for the first time, but my character had like a default bald white guy appearance. Made no sense and restarted.

Forced free aim for online? HA! GANGSTA SHIT

SimCity launch, Diablo 3 launch, Final Fantasy 14 launch...why are people surprised GTA Online is having problems?
I was expecting some issues, but not to this level. I personally haven't been hit with the singleplayer save corruption, but that's pretty inexcusable. Furthermore, Rockstar has had data on how many people are playing their game for the past two weeks. I don't believe any of your examples had that luxury, unless you count FFXIV's early access period.

Nemic77

and these 30 second unskippable cutscenes for each character each time singleplayer has to load which normally only had to be seen maybe once per play session are really great to see about 20 times in the last few hours going back and forth.

thats really building an emersive experience

Hardly 30 seconds....

Well, remember that Rockstar are continuously mentioning how the game will be adapted and added to in line with player demands, etc.

This is obviously more to them than a simple multiplayer mode for 5, and more of an emergent product that will evolve over time.

Gaz_RB

The fact problems can be expected doesn't really excuse that they've seemingly built the game to not even have basic functionality when there are server issues. Solo session should fucking be functional.

Imo the real character creation is clothes/hair/glasses/car. Not like people actually will see your face when playing.

Actually during death matches and stuff there are a lot of facial close ups haha

Jb

and these 30 second unskippable cutscenes for each character each time singleplayer has to load which normally only had to be seen maybe once per play session are really great to see about 20 times in the last few hours going back and forth.

thats really building an emersive experience

And by 30s you mean 5.

Top Bottom