• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time - Vita Compatible! |OT|

cj_iwakura

Broke it wide open with Impede, but boy was that a very specific 'do this or lose' fight.

I'm close enough to endgame that I think I can share some Growlanser obsessee thoughts:

-The combat is (traditional) Growlanser at its finest. Some very repetitive random encounters and missions, but the good ones are DANG good. I love the skill system especially.
-The story... eh. Blasphemy to most, but I honestly liked II and III's more. You're the focus of those stories. You feel like just a bystander in 90% of Wayfarer's events. The political intrigue is great. Angels... not so much. They feel tacked on. This could've easily done without them.

I preferred the intimacy of Wein and even Slayn's stories. II and III were focused on their journeys, no question.

That said, it's still a great game, and Atlus did a fine job localizing it.

daoster

Anybody got tips on Mission 25?

(I believe it's the final battle before Chapter 4, where the chests are disappearing, and I need to hit a switch before the timer runs out)

cj_iwakura

Anybody got tips on Mission 25?

(I believe it's the final battle before Chapter 4, where the chests are disappearing, and I need to hit a switch before the timer runs out)

Kill the magic users(shadow beasts) first, have everyone cast until they're all dead.

Then have Cley rush up the middle with everyone supporting him to kill the knights. Frayne's fire should be enough to kill the skeletons lining the map. The treasure is a nice bonus, but none of it is especially amazing.

daoster

Kill the magic users(shadow beasts) first, have everyone cast until they're all dead.

Then have Cley rush up the middle with everyone supporting him to kill the knights. Frayne's fire should be enough to kill the skeletons lining the map. The treasure is a nice bonus, but none of it is especially amazing.

Thanks, I was having trouble with the battle cause I was trying to get the items, but if they're not amazing, then the battle was 100 times easier!

A little off topic, but you think there'll ever be a re-release for Growlanser V and VI on the PSP/Vita? I enjoyed Growlanser V, even if it was a little ugly, but I heard that VI was basically a continuation of V's story, and I hate only getting half of the story.

(Of course, even if there will be a PSP/Vita re-release of V and VI, it'll be another tough call to see if it'll even come here!)

A little off topic, but you think there'll ever be a re-release for Growlanser V and VI on the PSP/Vita? I enjoyed Growlanser V, even if it was a little ugly, but I heard that VI was basically a continuation of V's story, and I hate only getting half of the story.

I doubt it. GL5 & GL6 had both poor reviews and poor sales. No surprise that GL1 & GL4 were the ones that got remakes, since they had the best sales out of the series.

cj_iwakura

Does anyone know if(spell cannon mission spoilers)

You can save Christopher's brother from Vestal? Looks that way.

(Of course, even if there will be a PSP/Vita re-release of V and VI, it'll be another tough call to see if it'll even come here!)

i certainly hope so. chances are slim, and somehow i doubt we'll get lucky with a localization effort from atlus next time. but who knows.

Does anyone know if(spell cannon mission spoilers)

You can save Christopher's brother from Vestal? Looks that way.

yes, you can.
he won't die

Koroviev

I'm having a difficult time choosing a familiar. They're all so adorable :(

Also, is pressing 'O' the only way to skip spell animations?

Edit: I am weak...creating one save for D -MD and another for D-PT...might need one more for D-RM...

cj_iwakura

I think I somehow missed getting a character ending. Isn't there some really stupid obscure item you need? Nothing happened with anyone on the final(?) furlough.

Shouta

You may not have fulfilled the requirements to get anyone's endings. The main cast shouldn't need any items though some of the sub cast might.

Last boss is pretty easy with a long-range focused strategy. I don't know about a magic or melee orientated group though.

i think you need to max friendship and solve a characters sidequest to be eligible for their ending. i remember doing that for pamela, hien and magus. many characters weren't available for my ending.

cj_iwakura

was there no option to hang out with somebody on the final day? i could choose from 5 people or so.

Found out what I did wrong, thanks to RPGFan.

TiamatNM said:
when you choose the location (must be your town) and go to sleep it will have an event at night in your room where your fairy will say something like "can you think of anyone you'd like to spend your last moments with?" and you will be able to walk out of your room and knock on the door of the character you want to get the ending with. if it says they are sleeping you have not fullfilled the requirements for that character's ending. if they answer the door that means you can get their ending

And sadly, my tactics are short range and support based. Remus and Tricia supporting Cley and Fiona.

I focused on the hands, and the counter one-shoted Cley. GAME OVA

cj_iwakura

Went back to get Erika's ending, so I'm planning to break the final battle this time.

Any party/strategy thoughts? I swapped out Trisha for Meline, keeping Remus/Cley/Fiona.

Funny, I like Meline's look more, but I vastly prefer Trisha's personality.

cj_iwakura

Finally finished. Second form was a joke now that I went in ready.

Surprisingly good ending, more than I expected anyway.

What little VA the game had was damn good. Shame this couldn't have had a full VA budget.

So overall, compared to II & III:

Gameplay:
Growlanser at its finest, no question. Challenging, varied, rewarding.

Story:
****-
It started out great, then flounded a lot near the end.
Would've been better off focusing on angels or the political intrigue, not trying to balance them. Both had great elements weighed down by the other.
(The small backstory on the angel civilization could've carried a whole game.)

I still prefer II & III, but don't get me wrong, IV is still great.

Music:
**---
(Very bland, only a couple tracks stood out)

Presentation:
****-
Great CGs and art design, love some of the characters(the Royal Guards, the twins, Vester); makes up for the bad ones(Eliza, Trisha, etc.).

Really wish I'd unlocked more CGs, they all looked sharp.

Localization:
Can't complain at all, the writing was great, and Cley's 'jerk' dialogue is AMAZING.
(Wow, that's a lot of translators and editors.)

I hope this isn't the last we see of Growlanser, but if so, it went out with a bang.

It also had my favorite final boss fight yet. Appropriate and looked really imposing, too.
It had a great sprite.

And now, I'm gonna watch the post-game OAV, and maybe actually make sense of it!
(It's been fansubbed on youtube for years, but I don't know if we're allowed to share it or not.)

B.K.

UDON is releasing a Growlanser art book!

TOyiw.jpg

GROWLANSER: ART WORKS

The Growlanser series of tactical role-playing games is a favourite of hardcore JRPG players with its gorgeous, intricate character designs, and dramatic storytelling.

UDON Entertainment's Growlanser Art Works features the artwork of Satoshi Urushihara in a spectacular, 176 page release. Includes game covers, character designs, merchandising artwork, rare promotional pieces, creator commentary, and an exclusive interview with Satoshi Urushihara and the development team behind the Growlanser series.

Featuring materials from Growlanser 1 through 6, for titles appearing on the PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and PSP.

Coming in February 2013, at the printers now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
... well, that's unexpected! An English Language artbook of Urushihara works, eh? ... Don't think I could pass this one up!

Such a straight-on image for that covershot... Eh, guess it works out well enough.

Shouta

I have the JP version of that artbook. It's nice. It's mostly a collection of the official character designs, covers, and some of the preorder bonuses/promo materials. The interviews in the back and some of the commentary is very nice though.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Cool, was planning on ordering the JP version. Will wait for the English release now.

I have the JP version of that artbook. It's nice. It's mostly a collection of the official character designs, covers, and some of the preorder bonuses/promo materials. The interviews in the back and some of the commentary is very nice though.

very nice. i was planning to get it anyway at some point. hopefully the print quality will be the same.

Taruranto

So, i think i'll start this soon.

I heard the game has different endings/routes. Are the endings the kind that a bad answer prevents you from playing half of the game or simply a difference in the final cs?

cj_iwakura

So, i think i'll start this soon.

I heard the game has different endings/routes. Are the endings the kind that a bad answer prevents you from playing half of the game or simply a difference in the final cs?

One is a totally alternate route, one has a slightly longer final battle. That's the difference. There's three in all.

Tizoc

The game's on sale for $15, but I'd like to see a Let's Play or gameplay vids of it that showcase the combat system.

Top Bottom