• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time - Vita Compatible! |OT|

Can anyone tell me more about this type of art? This look really like 1990s anime, games. I remember lots of you-know-which-type-of-games had the exact same art e.g. Knight of Xentar. Was it just the way things were drawn in the 90s and Growlanser takes from that?

his roots are in the 80's, maybe that's why? but i think his art was always distinctive. the first game i've seen with his art was Langrisser.

Staplefrog

Neo Member
I have just met with the princess of Marquelley and now I'm trying to leave the city, but Frayne keeps telling me that I should find the girl we met by the fruit stand. I did that and the girl had nothing important to say, but I still can't leave. I tried returning to an earlier save and replaying the previous battle and I tried walking around the town and talking to everyone again, but nothing will make a difference in this. Has anyone else had such a problem?
Other than this, I love the game and I wish I had not ignored Generations when I still had a PS2.

Vaco6121

I have just met with the princess of Marquelley and now I'm trying to leave the city, but Frayne keeps telling me that I should find the girl we met by the fruit stand. I did that and the girl had nothing important to say, but I still can't leave. I tried returning to an earlier save and replaying the previous battle and I tried walking around the town and talking to everyone again, but nothing will make a difference in this. Has anyone else had such a problem?
Other than this, I love the game and I wish I had not ignored Generations when I still had a PS2.

You need to give the girl the fruit that you get from the fruit vendor.

B.K.

The game just crashed my Vita. I was at the second anime cutscene and near the end of it, the game hung and the Vita shutdown. Does the game have a lot of issues running on Vita?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The game just crashed my Vita. I was at the second anime cutscene and near the end of it, the game hung and the Vita shutdown. Does the game have a lot of issues running on Vita?
I'm six hours in and haven't had a single problem with the game and I've been playing it exclusively on my Vita.

Staplefrog

Neo Member
I've also been playing on Vita and the only problem so far has been one freeze during an unimportant battle. I save often, so it did no harm.

kicked his ass
i mean ludwig. his healing was annoying, but i got him in the end. i had hien with me, this unlocked his storyline, which was a nice surprise. fun battle.

and i have still not met leona outside of events, lol.

Volcynika

Any general tips someone can offer as I go through the game? I just don't want to get stuck at a point if I missed something.

cj_iwakura

Rest up often, battles happen so dang fast.

Also, keep a back-up save, there's been more than one report of the game randomly freezing.

Terra_Ex

Ok so
after retaking the castle for princess Alicia my familiar was killed. Is it possible to save her/prevent this? I got both red & blue resonators, was I supposed to do something else with them? Loving the game so far aside from this minor tragedy. And in the worst case scenario that I don't have a prior save, is there any way to get the original back?

Also, should I have the skill "dash" by this point, I recall it being a pretty early skill to acquire in previous entries yet my characters are still lacking it.

Ok so
after retaking the castle for princess Alicia my familiar was killed. Is it possible to save her/prevent this? I got both red & blue resonators, was I supposed to do something else with them? Loving the game so far aside from this minor tragedy. And in the worst case scenario that I don't have a prior save, is there any way to get the original back?

Also, should I have the skill "dash" by this point, I recall it being a pretty early skill to acquire in previous entries yet my characters are still lacking it.
You have to show the resonators to Calnos at your home to get them to work. It's too late now to use them now though. IIRC there is a way to revive your original familiar later.

I didn't have dash yet at that point either, I don't think it's available then unless it's something you can steal.

Terra_Ex

You have to show the resonators to Calnos at your home to get them to work. It's too late now to use them now though. IIRC there is a way to revive your original familiar later.

I didn't have dash yet at that point either, I don't think it's available then unless it's something you can steal.

Damn, he was probably hiding behind some scenery or something for me to miss him, I'm usually pretty meticulous when it comes to talking to NPCs. I'll probably just carry on as-is then, I expect to play this through a few more times anyway. Thanks for the info.

LuuKyK

Oh my God.

I am in the first ruins (I stopped playing for a while so I am not sure if its the first or second, oh well) and the game is already driving me crazy! Ugh! I know I suck at playing it but why did the developers chose to have such a stupid save point placement. I mean. I was entering the room to save the game on the forth floor of the ruins, than out of nowhere 4 monsters appeared and my leader got stuck in between them, and obviously died. Then there was a robot guard that demolished the other two guys. And them I had to the ALL the dungeon AGAIN? wtf I rage quit it instantly. The game is great, but things like this REALLY bother me. I will give it a time, and comeback more calm I guess. /rant

x_x

B.K.

The battle to
escape from the prison where the Ruin Children are being held is a hard fight. I've tried four or five times so far and keep losing.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The battle to
escape from the prison where the Ruin Children are being held is a hard fight. I've tried four or five times so far and keep losing.
What are you doing? It took me two tries before I got it right but continued to
have both Remus and Crevanille focus on taking out the guard holding Frayne, and I then had her and Crevanille take out the other guards holding the prisoners captive while Remus focused on taking out the guards on the right.
I'm sure there are better tactics, but it worked for me. What level are your characters?

B.K.

What are you doing? It took me two tries before I got it right but continued to
have both Remus and Crevanille focus on taking out the guard holding Frayne, and I then had her and Crevanille take out the other guards holding the prisoners captive while Remus focused on taking out the guards on the right.
I'm sure there are better tactics, but it worked for me. What level are your characters?

I've tried that, but I just can't win. I'm level 13, I think. Next time, I'm just going to
kill the guard with Frayne and leave the rest. That's the only strategy I haven't tried yet.

my strategy:
frayne was rescued by remus quickly, then proceed to free the other prisoners with remus. i think the prisoner next to frayne will help with healing. i sent crev to the right at the beginning to take care of the guards approaching. took me two tries. don't get discouraged. not every fight can be the same for everyone. and don't worry about the chest, it can be opened after the battle.

Kerrinck

About those Growth up stones, are they cumulative? Say if I put two strength ones on the same character, will he get +6 instead of +3 when leveling up?

Having trouble with the mission where you have to save/protect
magnus and pamela the second time, the death wing captain keeps hitting magnus for heavy damage and then the mages in the back are annoying
any tips?

Having trouble with the mission where you have to save/protect
magnus and pamela the second time, the death wing captain keeps hitting magnus for heavy damage and then the mages in the back are annoying
any tips?

Make sure your party is fully buffed (cycle up especially) before starting the fight and cast protect on
Magnus and Pamela
as soon as possible. I had a bit of trouble with this too, but I just managed to keep them alive. I had Crev and Leona dash up there and use berserk, and had Frayne and Eliza stay back and alternate between healing and taking out enemies with magic. There is one enemy type immune to magic, but the others went down with one holy 3 each. The mages can be taken out with a synchronized AOE spell, or you could just cast magic shell on
Magnus
and make them irrelevant.

Make sure your party is fully buffed (cycle up especially) before starting the fight and cast protect on
Magnus and Pamela
as soon as possible. I had a bit of trouble with this too, but I just managed to keep them alive. I had Crev and Leona dash up there and use berserk, and had Frayne and Eliza stay back and alternate between healing and taking out enemies with magic. There is one enemy type immune to magic, but the others went down with one holy 3 each. The mages can be taken out with a synchronized AOE spell, or you could just cast magic shell on
Magnus
and make them irrelevant.

thanks this helped, Holy 1 did the job though.

The spell damage arena competition in this is bugged. After doing the battle, going anywhere in the arena triggers an unendable battle with the announcer still inside. It's repeatable and I can't find anyway to get around it and find see the results of the competition.

B.K.

How do I get through the ruins east of
Fandelcia? I set the five crystals, but the bridge they make is a dead end.

Edit: Finally got it. That was a bit annoying.

How do I get through the ruins east of
Fandelcia? I set the five crystals, but the bridge they make is a dead end.

It doesn't look like you can cross but you actually can. At the part where the two corners meet, just try walking slowly and carefully. Pressing square helps.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Can anyone tell me more about this type of art? This look really like 1990s anime, games. I remember lots of you-know-which-type-of-games had the exact same art e.g. Knight of Xentar. Was it just the way things were drawn in the 90s and Growlanser takes from that?

Kinda looks like the 90's Anime, which I like.

Pro-tip: Don't search for the artist's work in Google at all.

Shouta

Oh, on the artwork thing. Urushihara is a very famous artist and has been around since the 80s. He became much more prominent in the 90s though. Apparently, he worked as a key animator on the original Transformers to boot.

I was finally able to pick this up today and so far it's pretty good. So is it necessary to do well in the first mock spell battle? Cause we pretty much got smoked.

I was finally able to pick this up today and so far it's pretty good. So is it necessary to do well in the first mock spell battle? Cause we pretty much got smoked.

Not really, if you win you get a half decent item.

To win

pull the lever that separates the commander on one side and the two seniors on the other. Hack away at the other students, keeping an eye on the commander. When he's getting close to one of the seniors, just have both characters charge up spells. After he hits one of them once, the senior will have very little health left. Blast that senior with spells until he dies, then rinse and repeat for the other, this will ensure you come out on top points wise. I think you should also be fine if you only kill one senior but mop up all the students before the commander comes & cleans your clock. You can't beat the commander unless you're in NG+.

Top Bottom