• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time - Vita Compatible! |OT|

Jucksalbe

Banned
I was wandering if anyone had this problem. These is an enemy at the edge of the map but only half of it visible on the screen. As I appraoched the enemy I end up in a loop where battle is initiated, I enter all my commands but go out of battle mode then renter battle mode and repeat. I cannot get of this cycle so I lose all progress.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Thanks

Yeah, happened to me once, too. Had to reload my save.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
hmm, just choose whoever you like most?

another question: is there a visual clue when you max. friendship?

I thought I read somewhere that their art has a blush or something during max friendship.

Damn it I really need to get down and playing this... Dragon's Dogma has stolen so much of my soul.

I thought I read somewhere that their art has a blush or something during max friendship.

Damn it I really need to get down and playing this... Dragon's Dogma has stolen so much of my soul.

i got Frayne to perma-smile in her portrait. Hien is almost dark red in familiar rank. there might be more portrait variations.

DD is the perfect place for your soul, you can't go wrong.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
You get a perma smile for all characters. Girls can get a blush if you pick one of them towards the end of the game. Have no clue on male characters.

cj_iwakura

So far my personal theory holds true:

anyone named Christopher in a game is always awesome.

Love the political intrigue, so few games revel in it.

Silvernale is as great as expected, too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kinda annoyed with one of the missions between 19-21.

I think there are too many casters/healers in the Aida Bridge mission and areas before that. It seems like I can't progress at all.

I think there are too many casters/healers in the Aida Bridge mission and areas before that. It seems like I can't progress at all.
I had trouble with that too until I realized that spamming low level sleep spells is pretty useful.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I had trouble with that too until I realized that spamming low level sleep spells is pretty useful.

Just wondering, what level are you at that time?

Wait, so this game has zero voices? Any official reasoning? I know atlus probably didn't have the budget for the dub for this niche release... I know SoA requires english dub minimum for ps3 games, does that apply for psp as well?

Might just have to dig out my old psp and play the undub :/

Vamphuntr

If you aren't quick enough to kill spellcasters, simply equip a dispel gem on everyone. They block spells 75% of the time. You will have to heal with items, though.

better check shops for spellstones regularly, or the maps later on will kick your butt.
i got destroyed by the first angel. this fight is bad without high MR or a good spellstone setup. was fun though.

going behind that rock to continue the storyline was not so fun.

ULTROS!

For some reason, the missions after 19 keep getting harder, I'm currently having trouble somewhere between 23-26
I'm at the area where I have to protect the 3 flags, but I keep getting pincered. Any tips? I was thinking of getting fast casting but how do I do that?

Vamphuntr

For some reason, the missions after 19 keep getting harder, I'm currently having trouble somewhere between 23-26
I'm at the area where I have to protect the 3 flags, but I keep getting pincered. Any tips? I was thinking of getting fast casting but how do I do that?

I don't remember having trouble with this one. At that point my Remus was one shoting every soldiers. Are you using Thievery a lot? You can get really good gems early on with it by stealing from bosses. I had gems that increased my STR at level up around that part. Make sure he has Atk Range UP and Quick Attack. Equip him a gem that increases damage a lot but has a recoil then spam fierce strike. Before you talk to Alphonse cast Lvl 3 Attack Up and Protect on everyone and Cycle up.

Quick cast is a skill you can learn from a gem but you probably don't have it at that point. There is also a knack that let you lay down crystal traps on the floor. You could try using that too to block a lane. If you have the time bomb and circle strike knack, have your tank rush to where the enemies are and use time bomb. Guard until it blows up and finish them with circle strike.

If all else fails, concentrate your attack on the enemy leader. If you defeat him he will retreat with his troops.

i got trolled by my familiar, i can't believe it
yo, trockmere is very near by, so let's set up a gate and rest. 2 screens later i have to protect a character that dies in two hits, thanks. there was no save point in between, that's why i lost progress for 2.5 large/boss battles.

23 hours in... 'Load failed. The data is corrupted.'
Fuck you, my last save is at 2 hours in. Too bad, I was enjoying this game too.

get a save from somebody else?

If anyone has one saved at/before mission 19 then I guess let me know. Not sure if that would do it though, without all my stuff it would feel weird to keep playing.

Apparently there are ways to fix corrupted saves but the process looks too involved for me to attempt right now.

ULTROS!

I don't remember having trouble with this one. At that point my Remus was one shoting every soldiers. Are you using Thievery a lot? You can get really good gems early on with it by stealing from bosses. I had gems that increased my STR at level up around that part. Make sure he has Atk Range UP and Quick Attack. Equip him a gem that increases damage a lot but has a recoil then spam fierce strike. Before you talk to Alphonse cast Lvl 3 Attack Up and Protect on everyone and Cycle up.

Quick cast is a skill you can learn from a gem but you probably don't have it at that point. There is also a knack that let you lay down crystal traps on the floor. You could try using that too to block a lane. If you have the time bomb and circle strike knack, have your tank rush to where the enemies are and use time bomb. Guard until it blows up and finish them with circle strike.

If all else fails, concentrate your attack on the enemy leader. If you defeat him he will retreat with his troops.

Thanks. Improving on Remus helped a lot, the mission after that I rushed meaning I didn't get the treasures at all.

Now I'm having trouble with
killing the angel
. Guess I have to level up like crazy, eh? I'm level 36 btw.

Thanks. Improving on Remus helped a lot, the mission after that I rushed meaning I didn't get the treasures at all.

killing the angel

use dash knacks and magic res. spellstones/knacks. i think your spellstone setup does much more than pure grinding in this game.

Vamphuntr

killing the angel

Which fight? The first or the second one? The challenge of the first one is to get rid of the spellcasters first. If you aren't quick enough again, equip dispel gems on everyone then remove them after the magic users are gone. Simply dash to the boss after all. Mov UP and the dash knack help a lot.

If it's the second one, the key is to cast your buff up spells on the last screen of the ruins and to bring 3 physical attackers with you. Equip your 3 melee characters with the Armor Killer gem and you should trash it before it flees.

cj_iwakura

Boy the prison escape mission was intense. Took four tries of alternating strategies to clear it.

Clear, not Complete. :( Killed everyone, too!
Pure Growsian joy once I pulled it off.

How are people getting mission numbers?

can dialog choices in story affect friendship level too? remus and
val
went up to deep red instantly, and i don't know how i pulled that off.

Ugh some of these missions are downright annoying, stuck on 17. Can anyone help?

The one where your in the
ruin and trying to get through the long hallway with trap floors and bryntir is at the end

ULTROS!

Ugh some of these missions are downright annoying, stuck on 17. Can anyone help?

The one where your in the
ruin and trying to get through the long hallway with trap floors and bryntir is at the end

What I did was I solely kept casting spells, killing off the healers and casters, then the soldiers, then
bryntir
. I just use Secret Vulenaries when my life goes half.

You can combine spells at that point, use Wind Edge and anything else to make an AoE spell which clears out groups of Casters in two turns max. I bumrushed the remaining enemies with MC (or whoever your melee tank is) after that.

Only problem with spell spamming I've found is that your fucked once MP is gone, which is every story mission practically. Are there items to replenish MP? There doesn't seem to be any pre mission 20-ish as far as I could find.

Also fixed my corrupted save, thank god.

is
magus
always smiling at level up? if so, he is the only one thus far.

he is also a bad ass. it's so satisfying to plow through challenging maps through stylish swordplay. i think i love this game.
until i'm forced to retry several times and go through the same story dialog and travel distances.

Terra_Ex

Can someone refresh my memory, which is the best result for missions - cleared or complete? I know Passed is the worst after I experienced a sound thrashing at the Marquely docks. Also does it affect the plot in any significant way ala Growlanser 2?

Vamphuntr

can dialog choices in story affect friendship level too? remus and
val
went up to deep red instantly, and i don't know how i pulled that off.

Yes, your choices affect affinity level. Especially the ones you take during furloughs. Pink is the ultimate level and required to get their endings.

is
magus
always smiling at level up? if so, he is the only one thus far.

he is also a bad ass. it's so satisfying to plow through challenging maps through stylish swordplay. i think i love this game.
until i'm forced to retry several times and go through the same story dialog and travel distances.

Not really. When they like you (good affinity level) their portrait changes on the status screen. Some will smile while others will blush.

Can someone refresh my memory, which is the best result for missions - cleared or complete? I know Passed is the worst after I experienced a sound thrashing at the Marquely docks. Also does it affect the plot in any significant way ala Growlanser 2?

Complete is the best one to get. To get a Complete you usually have to pull of all the objectives to get "Cleared" but also have a lot of time left on the bonus counter. Complete gives a huge exp bonus. There is no *big* bonus for having "complete" everywhere here AFAIK. The alternate path is available only on NG+.

Passed means you failed one of the side objectives. An enemy escaped or a friendly but non important NPC dying will lead to this.

ULTROS!

So yeah, I dunno but I think I really suck at SRPGs thus kinda struggling, but I really want to finish this. Anyway, I'm at mission 29. Any recommended Spell Stones for my party? the 6th level is fully unlocked and there are some level 7 stones.

where can i find leona when she isn't in my party? i can't seem to find her anywhere. need her for a quest. also when can i continue
magus' sidequest where he wants to use hien as bait? is it unmissable once i initiate the quest?

Yes, your choices affect affinity level. Especially the ones you take during furloughs. Pink is the ultimate level and required to get their endings.

ah, that's what i wanted to know, thx.

Vamphuntr

where can i find leona when she isn't in my party? i can't seem to find her anywhere. need her for a quest. also when can i continue
magus' sidequest where he wants to use hien as bait? is it unmissable once i initiate the quest?

ah, that's what i wanted to know, thx.

She's in her room for her first event. Otherwise she's in front of the mansion all the time? As for
Magnus
, you need to talk to him about the plan, have Hien agree then talk to him again. It will eventually trigger a story battle later in the game.

So yeah, I dunno but I think I really suck at SRPGs thus kinda struggling, but I really want to finish this. Anyway, I'm at mission 29. Any recommended Spell Stones for my party? the 6th level is fully unlocked and there are some level 7 stones.

What's Mission # 29? I wasn't really counting them so could you tell me what it was about?

She's in her room for her first event. Otherwise she's in front of the mansion all the time? As for
Magnus
, you need to talk to him about the plan, have Hien agree then talk to him again. It will eventually trigger a story battle later in the game.

i don't want to spend time with her in furlough mode, i want
to get info about the gift for the white-haired girl.. what was her name again? i just want to see leona.

magus: already did all of the above. if the rest is unmissable i'm at ease.

Vamphuntr

i don't want to spend time with her in furlough mode, i want
to get info about the gift for the white-haired girl.. what was her name again? i just want to see leona.

magus: already did all of the above. if the rest is unmissable i'm at ease.

You mean the crystal thing you gift to
Sydney
? Be careful because the same item is required to trade for another key item required for another character ending. You'll have to think beforehand. All the character are usually available in the mansion or in town. Leona won't appear outside until you resolve her first furlough event though. If you never went on furlough with her it might explain why she isn't spawning around the mansion or town when she's not in your party.

ULTROS!

What's Mission # 29? I wasn't really counting them so could you tell me what it was about?

it's the 3-joint mission battles against Muntzer. The first 2 you have reach the northern point withouth dying, then you get to Muntzer.

Vamphuntr

it's the 3-joint mission battles against Muntzer. The first 2 you have reach the northern point withouth dying, then you get to Muntzer.

Oh I see. What's your problem with the fight exactly and what team are you using? The key is to not waste your magics and knacks before the last fight and
to buff and heal Alphonse during the battle against Muntzer
. Don't get near
Muntzer
yourself because you'll get all banged up, let the other guy defeat him. If you are using spellcasters, make sure they can either cast invisble or hold their grounds as reinforcement will spawn near them if you don't move them during that fight.

Basically for the first screen you don't fight much, keep going up using dash and cover your characters as they exit the screen by using your tank fighters to defeat the ever spawning guys until all the rest of your members have reached the other side.

For the second one you won't have a choice and will have to defeat everyone in the middle as you can't simply run past them. If you have circle strike and time bomb knacks, use them here to clear a path. It doesn't matter storywise if you beat up
Vallery
or not but since he uses ranged attacks and block your path you might as well get rid off him. Once again there will be infinite reinforcement coming from the top of the screen but also reinforcement from allied soldiers coming from the bottom. When the path is mostly clear have your best fighter dash to the end and act as a guard to kill the reinforcements until everyone has reached the goal. Just don't burn more than half of your MP and don't touch your items stock much.

As for the last one well you should let
Alphonse defeat Muntzer
and concentrate on the rest of the enemies. Just make sure to buff him/heal him as it's game over if he dies. Remus can probably kill the mages here in 1 hit with fierce strike with a good gem combo. Just make sure to plan for the enemy reinforcement at the bottom of the screen or your mages will get whacked.

At this point you should be able to use really good gems combinations. Do you have the one that increases the damage you do but take a 20% recoil? If you also equip a the Vampire EX (sp?) gem you can nullify the 20% kickback as it drain 20% hp of the damage you do. Do you have the Lvl 6 double strike gem too (the one that let you attack twice with each attack you do)? Aside from that make sure all the characters that can learn Dash from gems have the skills, same for quick attack.

ULTROS!

Oh I see. What's your problem with the fight exactly and what team are you using? The key is to not waste your magics and knacks before the last fight and
to buff and heal Alphonse during the battle against Muntzer
. Don't get near
Muntzer
yourself because you'll get all banged up, let the other guy defeat him. If you are using spellcasters, make sure they can either cast invisble or hold their grounds as reinforcement will spawn near them if you don't move them during that fight.

Basically for the first screen you don't fight much, keep going up using dash and cover your characters as they exit the screen by using your tank fighters to defeat the ever spawning guys until all the rest of your members have reached the other side.

For the second one you won't have a choice and will have to defeat everyone in the middle as you can't simply run past them. If you have circle strike and time bomb knacks, use them here to clear a path. It doesn't matter storywise if you beat up
Vallery
or not but since he uses ranged attacks and block your path you might as well get rid off him. Once again there will be infinite reinforcement coming from the top of the screen but also reinforcement from allied soldiers coming from the bottom. When the path is mostly clear have your best fighter dash to the end and act as a guard to kill the reinforcements until everyone has reached the goal. Just don't burn more than half of your MP and don't touch your items stock much.

As for the last one well you should let
Alphonse defeat Muntzer
and concentrate on the rest of the enemies. Just make sure to buff him/heal him as it's game over if he dies. Remus can probably kill the mages here in 1 hit with fierce strike with a good gem combo. Just make sure to plan for the enemy reinforcement at the bottom of the screen or your mages will get whacked.

At this point you should be able to use really good gems combinations. Do you have the one that increases the damage you do but take a 20% recoil? If you also equip a the Vampire EX (sp?) gem you can nullify the 20% kickback as it drain 20% hp of the damage you do. Do you have the Lvl 6 double strike gem too (the one that let you attack twice with each attack you do)? Aside from that make sure all the characters that can learn Dash from gems have the skills, same for quick attack.

Thanks. Will be getting those gems. My problem was with the
2nd run where Vallery is
, I keep on dying. :p

My party consists of Crevanille, Frayne, Remus, and Hien.

kuroshiki

OH SNAP.

Until lv 35 I didn't know you can skip the spell sequence by pressing O.

OMG. OMG. OMG.

Also, guys, for those who want to open armor shop in your town... here is the tip.

Press X, instead of O when someone asks you to mash the button. Atlus fucked up this bad.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Speaking of which, is there a newgame+ mechanic in this game? Because if there is, then I won't bother on getting too obsessive in finding and completing everything in my 1st go.

Vamphuntr

Thanks. Will be getting those gems. My problem was with the
2nd run where Vallery is
, I keep on dying. :p

My party consists of Crevanille, Frayne, Remus, and Hien.

Basically try to equip some of the following :

Lvl 6 Weapon Damage Up + 3 (increase weapon damage by 30%)
Lvl 6 Double Strike (attack twices with each attack)
Lvl 7 Thorned Power (double physical damage you do but takes a 20% recoil)
Lvl 7 Vampire EX (drains 20% HP of the damages you deal)
*If you don't have the last two, there are level 4 version of the same gems with a different name that are less effective but probably less rare.*
Lvl 7 ATW Reduction +3 (also let you learn quick attack skill)

I'm not sure if all are available to buy as I was using the thievery knack with the gem that boost your luck equipped all the time.

The key to most fights in the game is to have a good gem combo and good passive skills. Levels aren't that important compared to gems so try to modify your combination when you seem to get owned easily.

As you get more gems the key is to get these skills on physical attackers if you want an easier time through the game :

HP UP, MOV UP, Quick Attack, Critical Rate UP, Shadow Dodge, HP drain, HP Regenerate, Range UP (for ranged characters)

Knacks to get :

**DASH(best knack in the game)***Fierce Strike, Pierce Strike, Circle Strike, Thievery, Dodge Up (for bosses) and Impede

kuroshiki

Basically try to equip some of the following :

Lvl 6 Weapon Damage Up + 3 (increase weapon damage by 30%)
Lvl 6 Double Strike (attack twices with each attack)
Lvl 7 Thorned Power (double physical damage you do but takes a 20% recoil)
Lvl 7 Vampire EX (drains 20% HP of the damages you deal)
*If you don't have the last two, there are level 4 version of the same gems with a different name that are less effective but probably less rare.*
Lvl 7 ATW Reduction +3 (also let you learn quick attack skill)

I'm not sure if all are available to buy as I was using the thievery knack with the gem that boost your luck equipped all the time.

The key to most fights in the game is to have a good gem combo and good passive skills. Levels aren't that important compared to gems so try to modify your combination when you seem to get owned easily.

As you get more gems the key is to get these skills on physical attackers if you want an easier time through the game :

HP UP, MOV UP, Quick Attack, Critical Rate UP, Shadow Dodge, HP drain, HP Regenerate, Range UP (for ranged characters)

Knacks to get :

**DASH(best knack in the game)***Fierce Strike, Pierce Strike, Circle Strike, Thievery, Dodge Up (for bosses) and Impede

Until now I never used ANY of strike knack at all. Dash is used all the time though.

Vamphuntr

Until now I never used ANY of strike knack at all. Dash is used all the time though.

You really should. Basically fierce strike is more or less a critical hit version of a normal attack and it works with the double strike gems :) (the following attacks are normal strike though and not knacks but still). Circle strike attack everyone in a circle radius around you characters and pierce strike does the same but on a straight vertical line. They are good for crowd control.

Later on, I would use these with the Dash and the gems I listed to clear most enemies on the map before my spell casters could even cast a good coop spell.

You mean the crystal thing you gift to
Sydney
? Be careful because the same item is required to trade for another key item required for another character ending. You'll have to think beforehand. All the character are usually available in the mansion or in town. Leona won't appear outside until you resolve her first furlough event though. If you never went on furlough with her it might explain why she isn't spawning around the mansion or town when she's not in your party.

that's scary. guess i'll have to keep it then, if i ever get it. i have already seen her events (leo) twice, she is red in friendship. maybe if i'm at max she will finally show up, lol.

Top Bottom