• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Build Fighters Try |OT| Once Again, Please Set Your GP Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Finale

I think the ending was supposed to be dumb fun but it ended up as being far more 'dumb' than 'fun'. The writing and logic was so bad as to be non-existent. Like, really bad.

Consider that, in the ending to the first series, they basically had a giant mecha battle but at least they gave us a reason for all these Gunpla to get involved in the action. It might have not been a particularly clever reason, but at least it made sense. They didn't have the decency to give any explanation for what the heck happened this episode.

Because this was such a mess, I'm just going to do my thoughts as a list:

- Apparently, in an artistic Gunpla contest if you disagree with the judges you can just fight? That, on it's own, is stupid. This isn't a battlers contest. And then everyone joins in as well making the whole fight pointless anyway. Dumb.

- As always, Minato has a way, WAY, better Gunpla than Yuuma but still loses. Everything about the Super Fumina was awesome and the staff clearly knew it too because it had lots of fun moves.

- Apparently Yuuma can now shoot Sekai's firebird thing? So, we've gone from it being this really badass super move during the summer training to a move that apparently everyone can pull off? This makes Sekai a little less special.

- Also, apparently Ramba Ral can hold his own against Meijin Kawaguch III? Reaaaaaallly?

- Apparently if Sekai goes on a trip for a few days with some help he's suddenly a really great builder? And he's supposed to be a 'beginner'? Remember how in the first season it took Sei an extremely long time and lots of hard work to build anything good and he was already a veteran Gunpla builder. For everyone in the show to be great builders and fighters is just a little eh.

- All the character and character relationship stuff is as half baked and underwhelming as ever.

Blader

Finale was a lot of fun and even legitimately funny at times, liked it just as much as last year's big fanservice episode.

Overall the season was a step down from GBF but I still enjoyed it more than not. Looking forward to season 3 or the OVAs or whatever comes next.

So the Gundam Build series are sequels to G Gundam. The Earth must've attempted to replicate the battles of G Gundam in a more safe manner. Yep, totally how it is... sarcasm. I loved seeing him. lol

Shouta

Those Gunpla contest winner designs making it into the show was really nice and they animated them properly to boot. Now I wish mine could have won and been put into the show, lol.

I really like the Lightning Zeta, it looks really nice and it has the firebird to use instead of a waverider crash, which is pretty sweet. Kamiki Burning...not sure. It seems a little weird but I'd need to check it out more closely. I think it's the "Kami" kanji shoulders that are throwing me off. No upgrade for Fumina is disappointing but she had the most powerful of the suits so I don't think she really needed the upgrade.

I knew it was coming when the Miyazato guys looked and responded to it. That Minato, so evil. Granted, the build work was amazing but Meijin was right, lol. Gotta get her permission at the very least. That leading into the second half of the episode was silly though.

Anyway, the episode itself was fun. Some good gags in there like all of the Sazaki siblings and the Fumina reactions that have been a staple for this season. Just a lot of fun without any serious was nice. Meijin vs Ral would have been awesome and teasing Lady Meijin and the girls was. =( Domon actually being Sekai and Junya's master was lol too

I want Suga's Leopard.

Tecl0n

-So they could do better fights, they just didn't give a damn. Zaku v Kampfer is the best fight in all the damn season.

-it was fun, but goddamn the middleschooldrama.

-gunplaisfun,gunplaisfun,gunplaisfun WE GET IT.F

-DOMON/10.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Finale
- As always, Minato has a way, WAY, better Gunpla than Yuuma but still loses. Everything about the Super Fumina was awesome and the staff clearly knew it too because it had lots of fun moves.

They disqualified him and rightly so. You can't make a weirdly sexualized gunpla of a real person without asking permission, and you especially can't enter it into a public competition.

Come on

Blader

Fumina's protests during the Super Fumina poses were great though

I can't believe they went full Domon with the master reveal. I was sure they were going to make him be Reiji, somehow. But actually Domon?! I hope that becomes an actual plot point and not just a one-off appearance as a nod for G Gundam's 20th (now 21st) anniversary.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Finale is a good summary of what is good about the show and what is trash.
Looks like we'll be getting Try S2 though :/

NEO0MJ

I won't lie, I had a lot of fun with some parts of this episode.

- Also, apparently Ramba Ral can hold his own against Meijin Kawaguch III? Reaaaaaallly?

It was established in the first series that he holds back a lot when facing most opponents. Yuuki is one of the few opponents he can really let loose with.

Besides this part

nMWx23T.jpg
dSptFyR.jpg
cIrQjTd.jpg

I died laughing at this part.

Finale
- Apparently, in an artistic Gunpla contest if you disagree with the judges you can just fight? That, on it's own, is stupid. This isn't a battlers contest. And then everyone joins in as well making the whole fight pointless anyway. Dumb.
They said to fight just to fight. The results weren't going to the change the judges' decisions. You fight to make your own decision.

- Apparently Yuuma can now shoot Sekai's firebird thing? So, we've gone from it being this really badass super move during the summer training to a move that apparently everyone can pull off? This makes Sekai a little less special.
This is how discovery and inventions work. When one person figures it out, everyone else can learn from it.

Like has been said since the first show?
- Apparently if Sekai goes on a trip for a few days with some help he's suddenly a really great builder? And he's supposed to be a 'beginner'? Remember how in the first season it took Sei an extremely long time and lots of hard work to build anything good and he was already a veteran Gunpla builder. For everyone in the show to be great builders and fighters is just a little eh.
It's been 7 years since the first show. Technology changes. Youtube is 9 years old. "remember how hard it was 9 years ago when someone wanted to show a video to the world? How are kids doing it so easily now?"

Jex

They disqualified him and rightly so. You can't make a weirdly sexualized gunpla of a real person without asking permission, and you especially can't enter it into a public competition.

Come on

I'm not sure if this is a serious comment. I mean, if anything, Super Fumina was less sexualised than regular Fumina, she was actually wearing more clothing. The only people exploiting Fumina were the creators of this series!

Truly, Super Fumina was a loving tribute to Fumina herself. She should be honoured.

Divvy

I'm not sure if this is a serious comment. I mean, if anything, Super Fumina was less sexualised than regular Fumina, she was actually wearing my clothing. The only people exploiting Fumina where the creators of this series!

I

see

Blader

Ral and Maoh's master showed at the end of last season that they're clearly the most dominant build fighters. I was more surprised that Yuuki held his own against Ral rather than the other way around.

Ral is definitely Meijins level. Probably above but Meijin probably closed the gap over seven years.
Remember the shit Ral and Mao's Master pulled in the S1 finale?

They were pulling SRW super moves while everyone else was playing with nerf guns

Jex

Not to get too off the beaten path but:
They said to fight just to fight. The results weren't going to the change the judges' decisions. You fight to make your own decision.
I wouldn't disagree that you can read the scene in that manner, if you chose. However, neither of the Meijins were particular clear about what the fight would actually resolve because there wasn't much thought put into the writing of that scenario (of the episode as a whole).

Worse, we didn't even get to see them have a full fight to decide whose Gunpla was superior, so they didn't even resolve that particular conflict on any level.
This is how discovery and inventions work. When one person figures it out, everyone else can learn from it.
Whether or not you see that particular super move as being an 'invention' depends on your understanding of Gunpla mechanics, but it doesn't stop it from being bad writing. The whole point of Sekai's character is that his unusual background leads him to create a new style of Gunpla combat and it's because of this that he can pull of his own brand of Gunpla moves.

Now that every old character can pull it off the move is cheapened and Sekai's unique status as a martial-arts fighter is weakened.. How hard is it to give characters their own unique moves?
It's been 7 years since the first show. Technology changes. Youtube is 9 years old. "remember how hard it was 9 years ago when someone wanted to show a video to the world? How are kids doing it so easily now?"
I don't know how that argument could be supported because I don't see any indication that the techniques and tools used to create Gunpla have changed. From the (brief) scenes of building we see in this show it basically looks the same as ever.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh yeah we did see Mao's master at the end right... or is it Mao who aged rapidly due to being broken-hearted?

Blader

Apparently if Sekai goes on a trip for a few days with some help he's suddenly a really great builder? And he's supposed to be a 'beginner'? Remember how in the first season it took Sei an extremely long time and lots of hard work to build anything good and he was already a veteran Gunpla builder. For everyone in the show to be great builders and fighters is just a little eh.

It took Sei a lot of work because he built the Gunpla himself. Sekai wasn't doing it on his own, he had an expert building it with him. That doesn't make him a great builder, it makes a decent builder with great help.

Jex

Oh yeah we did see Mao's master at the end right... or is it Mao who aged rapidly due to being broken-hearted?

Pretty sure that was Mao's master.
The Blue Giant is like a god amongst all Build Fighters. This was established in season 1.

I love the Blue Giant as much as the next man, but it's been years since the original series. and I would kind of expected Meijin, as the most dominant builder/fighter in the world, to put on a better performance. He's won the World Tournament three times!

Still, I can concede the point based off of previous combat experience.

Hey, I guess that shows one shouldn't compose a post immediately after exercising.
hmmmm

Oh you mean Fumina should feel honored that someone made that. I thought you were referring to the Super Fumina as a 'she' and that the model should be given a honor.

Well, it should be given an honour considering that it wasn't as dull as a shinier Zeta.

I love the Blue Giant as much as the next man, but it's been years since the original series. and I would kind of expected Meijin, as the most dominant builder/fighter in the world, to put on a better performance. He's won the World Tournament three times!

Still, I can concede the point based off of previous combat experience.

When it comes to shipping, Ral's power level goes up x100000.

So pics of the new suits showed up on the official site (which are definitely the new kits coming later from the silhouetted teaser):

Kamiki Burning Gundam

Lightning Zeta

Lady Red Warrior Amazing

Dom R35

Super Fumina

And arguably one of the best named Gundams ever, Gundam Leopard da Vinci.

Super Fumina will probably be an Armor Girls Project kit.

It goes up so much that make his butt itchy, amirite?

tv1389000693187.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This was the greatest finale in the history of television.

Try Fighters continues to outwit and outdo the first season in terms of appropriating all the weird aspects of Gunpla/Plamo culture, and Super Fumina is the apex of that. So far gone into blatant Gunpla advertising, it's amazing. I love how little fucks this show gives.

So pics of the new suits showed up on the official site (which are definitely the new kits coming later from the silhouetted teaser):

Lady Red Warrior Amazing, Dom R35 and Da Vinci look great. Kind of wish there was one of that Char Gyan.

Also if they don't make Super Fumina kits they are stupid.

It's a shame that this goofy ass episode was the best this season. It's even more a shame that a 15 second fight between two suits from last season was the best fight this season.

The Artistic Gunpla Grand Prix winner continued his trend of making aggressively bland gunpla. Kamiki Burning was okay, but barely different, I had to look twice to actually notice the differences outside of the sword. This was the only time all season that they actually came close to capturing the spirit of the first season.

I'm glad it's finally over.

Blader

I liked that Sekai included a sword with his new Gunpla, makes for a small but nice follow-up on the Burning Finger Sword he suddenly conjured last ep.

Damnit, Lady is already infected by Everything is Amazing Red syndrome from the Meijin.

Both Meijins are enormous dorks. I cringe everytime they stand back to back and point at something so unnecessarily emphatically. :lol

RangerBAD

Does this mean there are two Domons?

Just a Domon cosplayer that amounts to one little cameo. No third season with current cast. I'm calling it. Around 9 months passed by the time the end montage happened they would have already passed the world tournament. They're just in another U19 national tournament at the end.

Lets hope next season we move on back to charicters we care about. Minato sakai can stay as he is clearly the best build fighter out of the new try charicters and should have been the MC. Tryon 3 is the hero suit this series deserved. And if he had gotten permission super fumina should have won the meijin cup. As unlike a zeta with a edgier backpack, it shows us gunpla truely has no limit!.

Divvy

New season should just be about Fumina. She's the only interesting one of the three and the only I'll be sad to see go.

sonicmj1

This episode was a little too silly for me (the grand melee at the end was nonsense with the whole floor turning into a battle arena or something), but I like the spirit behind it. It was nice to see some of the early characters come back, and there were a few good visual gags, particularly surrounding the introduction of the Super Fumina. In the silliness, there was at least some sense of the joy of play that was weirdly lacking in a lot of the series. Unfortunately, it's too little too late for me, as once again they have to whip up a bunch of nonsense to justify getting the band together instead of having it build naturally from earlier events.

Try was definitely a letdown compared to what came before it, particularly in the writing department. The cast was worse across the board, and because of the rush to introduce people and keep things more grounded, the tone felt oddly serious through much of the series, particularly surrounding the main characters. Even the battles suffered from a somewhat misguided team focus and a more limited budget.

I don't hate the show, but it'd take a real wave of positive energy to get me on board for another season.

I think I would've liked it even more if it was sillier. I agree there was waaaaay too much over serious stuff (The Junya stuff and Gyanko dying after losing a Gunpla battle are the two examples that stick out in my mind)

Deadly

They tease Sei the entire season and we didn't get a payoff even in the final episode? Such bullshit.
Yeah but I guess he had a somewhat cameo last episode. Would have been so good if the Build Strike Cosmos appeared during that FFA and then that's when he makes an appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom