• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Build Fighters Try |OT| Once Again, Please Set Your GP Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

GBF Try 24

On a purely technical level, completely devoid of everything we know about the characters and their abilities, the fight scenes in this episode (bar the spirit animals stuff) actually delivered. They were significantly better than the rest of the fights in the series and there was even some moments where the teams worked together. Success!

On the other hand, there were many missteps:

- Assimilation has always been a stupid plot device but I hoped it would pay off here to some end. Nope.

- All the injury stuff never even amounted to anything meaning that it existed purely as a dramatic device. Yuck.

- Shia jobbed to a ridiculous amount, being left as little more than a healer.

- There's no way I can buy Yuuma's ridiculous, faux-badass attitude. He continues to be the worst character in the show.

- Fumina's wining beam is apparently insanely powerful except that it never kills anyone.

- Red hair vs Blonde fight was pretty decent, I suppose for a standard mecha duel. But as soon as it turned into bullshit, lights zipping around I rolled my eyes. You can only get away with that stuff if you genuinely care about the characters and their fighting for some real stakes.

- Speaking of stakes, I felt like absolutely nothing was on the line here. Either team could have won or lost and it really doesn't matter because everyone will be going to Worlds anyway. All the focus on Worlds, and who will be fighting there, basically reinforces how no-one cares about this shitty under-19 tournaments.

- Speaking of characters, I still can't bring myself to care for any of them and I can't see that changing next season.

- Oh, and if next season just features our shitty Team Try heroes beating up beloved characters from the last season I will be pissed. For all the crappiness of this season it didn't actively shit all over great characters like Sei and the Meijin.

Jarmel

Banned
GBF Try 24
- Oh, and if next season just features our shitty Team Try heroes beating up beloved characters from the last season I will be pissed. For all the crappiness of this season it didn't actively shit all over great characters like Sei and the Meijin.

You know that's coming.

Jarmel

Banned
Seriously.

Speedlines are only boring when they're drawn very boringly (or not drawn at all!). The speedlines in this ep were some dynamic looking shit.

I'll wait for verification from people much better at identifying animators but I wouldn't be surprised if Murasaki or Abe did them.

Just saw the ep.

It was alright .. the fight was actually entertaining to watch.

the episode would have been better without fumina tears giving her that deus ex machina puch to act just at the right moment , lol.

Oh and i'm so happy that adou wrist didn't pay off . at worst he will be there in season 3 as a commentary , at best he will find a SUPER IMPrESSIVE DOCTOR and heal in time.

Shia repair hability was perfectly nerfed , too bad she should have been much more agressive in the fight , but with adou and wilfried i guess they thought it would be too much.

I won't say no to a full match between the 2 supporters gunpla , just to see the winning gunpla lose.

Overall a good episode , even if thiswas clearly bellow most of the fights in season 1 . at least this ep pacing was well done.

just watched the episode, and I'm not gonna lie, I liked it. I do wish it was longer since this was actually a legit battle, which contrasts with how shitty all the other battles leading up to it were. I gotta say the interchange polycaps were pretty ingenious like the super glue sei used in season 1, and a way better outcome then them combining and doing dumb shit. Do wonder if when sekai does his power up stuff, how do fumino's and yuuma's pieces handle the stress of all them particles.

If they do have a 3rd season, i'm calling sekai and fumino will battle, and yuuma will backup like sei was to reiji.

Vecks

Thought it was an okay episode, better than the last few at least. Enjoyed the battle, but it was rather typical shounen stuff. Was hoping for a few surprises, but it played out just the way you'd expect.

Hero

Overall I liked it for the battles and the animation quality.

However I think it's bullshit Sei keeps getting these fucking random mid-battle power ups. Flame sword out of no where, awesome.

Shia got jobbed so hard.

Winning coming back online for one last blow was dumb.

Animals fighting each other not fun.

Meh.

Blader

just watched the episode, and I'm not gonna lie, I liked it. I do wish it was longer since this was actually a legit battle, which contrasts with how shitty all the other battles leading up to it were. I gotta say the interchange polycaps were pretty ingenious like the super glue sei used in season 1, and a way better outcome then them combining and doing dumb shit. Do wonder if when sekai does his power up stuff, how do fumino's and yuuma's pieces handle the stress of all them particles.

If they do have a 3rd season, i'm calling sekai and fumino will battle, and yuuma will backup like sei was to reiji.

Fumina will definitely fight with Lady Meijin.

Hero

The thing I'm mad about is that Try Fighters didn't deserve shit.

Like what exactly did they do to improve that made such a drastic jump in their abilities?

Adou 1v3'd them and in a matter of weeks they closed the gap?

Wubby

This entire show should've been saved for next season.

It wasn't as good as the first season but I liked it well enough. I'd rather give Try a second watch than the mess that is Reconguista. Plus we got some pretty awesome kits from this season. Mega Shiki, EZ-SR, Gyagya, Denial, Tryion, Transient, Amazing Warrior... The show sells kits very well from what I see when I go to the shops here in Japan.

Speaking of kits! I like the Denial in all black (well dark grey). Photo from Naoki.

Baalzebup

Lol at calm before the storm. Yes, bombardment from outside the colony should have been an obvious solution, since both sides wield some really big guns. "Do as you like" ... "Coordinate w/ me" pick one already, stupid. 6-way crossfire miraculously colliding in the exact same spot?

Huh... Lance Bits. That Transient has some tricks alright. Yuuma fights okay, but "badass" just doesn't suit the guy, no matter how hard they try. Stupid flame-sword is stupid. They could have at least made it look cool, that was just silly. Winning beam sure is big. Like, capital laser grade big. No Yuuma, still not badass. Good job though. Newtype time. Yes, 1v1 is where it's at. Time-limit pfffttt.

Dat bash-kit... Too much Dragonball. Oh, hi, S3. Please be more like S1, okay.

What about the guy who actually rekt Yuuma so hard he quit gunpla? They've referenced that it wasn't really Adou (since the dude can't even remember doing it, plus looks different). Wasn't it meant to be Junya, or does the timeline not line up correctly?

Ken

What about the guy who actually rekt Yuuma so hard he quit gunpla? They've referenced that it wasn't really Adou (since the dude can't even remember doing it, plus looks different). Wasn't it meant to be Junya, or does the timeline not line up correctly?

I think it's supposed to be Adou since Adou was known to break his opponent's gunpla. Also both suits used Fang bits and had the darkness/cloak theme going on. It's a super weak connection and pointless subplot that's as bad as the "that's my rival!" motivations for Shia and gunpla freak Ky Kiske.

CorvoSol

It wasn't as good as the first season but I liked it well enough. I'd rather give Try a second watch than the mess that is Reconguista. Plus we got some pretty awesome kits from this season. Mega Shiki, EZ-SR, Gyagya, Denial, Tryion, Transient, Amazing Warrior... The show sells kits very well from what I see when I go to the shops here in Japan.

Speaking of kits! I like the Denial in all black (well dark grey). Photo from Naoki.

I liked most of the new suits, but I dunno. At least I knew going into Reconguista that it wasn't going to make sense. I had hopes for this show.

I think it's supposed to be Adou since Adou was known to break his opponent's gunpla. Also both suits used Fang bits and had the darkness/cloak theme going on. It's a super weak connection and pointless subplot that's as bad as the "that's my rival!" motivations for Shia and gunpla freak Ky Kiske.

One more reason Sakai was the true final boss of the series.

Jarmel

Banned

I actually expect it to be someone in the World Tournament.

ultron87

The section where Yuuma and Hoshino 2v2 Shia and Agou shows all the potential this series had going for it but didn't often utilize. You get each side using teamwork and utilizing their unique gunpla and it is rad. The colossal animation budget helped, of course.

I thought it was definitely adou and he's pulling a M. Bison "it was Tuesday"

oh son of a b I was planning to edit these posts in and ending up triple posting, sorry

NeonZ

It's officially Adou. He was credited as such. With a new season basically confirmed though, I can easily see that changing. Their attitude and appearance was just too different. And Adou not remembering him is odd considering how the guy seemed to know Yuuma well.

Ken

I thought the rival was the AGE MA guy when he showed up cause of the disheveled hair and condescending speech but then he got outed as a joke character pretty quickly lol.

The interchangeable polycaps are stupid because high grades are just like that out of the box for the most part, it's not some super crazy thing that takes all night to customize. That's why Sei and Meijin did it like it was no big deal at the end of s1

Effect

I wish I could have enjoyed this episode. I don't think I've been this uninterested and overall disappointed in a final battle episode of a Gundam show since the end of Seed Destiny. I didn't watch AGE so that's not a factor here. I was loving every bit of Build Fighters ending though and by comparison this was a waste.

This actually does help me remember why I started watching less and less anime over the years. Endings were constantly falling apart for me until I simply stopped giving shows chances and watching them. I just stuck with rewatching older shows I knew wouldn't leave me ultimately disappointed in the end.

NeonZ

The interchangeable polycaps are stupid because high grades are just like that out of the box for the most part, it's not some super crazy thing that takes all night to customize. That's why Sei and Meijin did it like it was no big deal at the end of s1

In-Universe, both the Winning Gundam and the Build Burning are scratch builds though, not just tweaked official models, so there could be some compatibility issues there.

Blader

It was Adou, he just forgot because he didn't care.

Maybe s3 will be like SEED Destiny where it transitions from Sekai to Sei as the lead. Sei- the new Kira...

Even I'm laughing at this idea but worried it could be another SEED Destiny

In-Universe, both the Winning Gundam and the Build Burning are scratch builds though, not just tweaked official models, so there could be some compatibility issues there.
Both were built off base units, unless Sei and Fumina have like a plastic forge and their own molds or something then they didn't just will the parts into existence. They're very customized, but they started off of something.

Maybe s3 will be like SEED Destiny where it transitions from Sekai to Sei as the lead. Sei- the new Kira...

Even I'm laughing at this idea but worried it could be another SEED Destiny
That would be fantastic in this case.

Ken

SDs don't use HG polycaps do they? I haven't made one in forever but I don't remember them having the same polycaps. So we have HG polycaps, SD polycaps, and custom polycaps for Try Burning because Sei Iori.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10217259n/40/1

SD polycaps^

I also refuse to believe anything Sei makes is an HG; those things look closer to RG kits.

Don't you mean PunchMUP?

reiji_7745.png

Star Build Strike and Build Burning, Build Knuckles and Jigen Zukis only. :S

Anyway, I've made some progress with the LBP3 project here: https://youtu.be/c0AWviKMiM4

16967593942_f44dd80a12_o.gif

Gonna add more units of course, but all the playables will be Meijin related. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom