• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Booties

Banned

Fuchsdh

Like in 4 when you fly along the Didacts ship for the first and last time, whilst dodging moving parts that look as if it's been ripped straight from a ratchet and clank level. Did you dislike that?

Nope. We've gotten spaceflight in Halo before, and it's pretty damn simple to understand since it functions like any aerial vehicle. It's not a sudden change to the sandbox.

I have the same complaint as this hypothetical jump sequence with the QT events in the game. They weren't really that onersome, though I can see why it would annoy people, but they only pop up in two places right after each other. You could cut them out and the game would have not been compromised, so why bother?

No Zealot, not you too!

We will all succumb to the cynicism eventually.

Or, you know, you could do something constructive with your time.

Karl2177

Hi guys.

I think the intent with the HaloGAF thread lock was clear, but this is the Halo 4 thread. So long as everything remains on topic (that would be Halo 4) and civil, that's fine. If everyone piles in here and turns it into the HaloGAF thread with another name, complete with the same problems, it'll meet the same fate.

I should note so far, so good on that front. :)

lol

xf70wVW.png
A person who makes Simpsons reference is someone after my own heart. Especially when they're apt! APT!

Care to explain? Things have been alright in this thread for quite a while now. Less fighting, bitching, random comments about nothing, and whatever disputes arise they're not dragged out like in past threads.. the list goes on.

I'd say there's been an improvement in this thread since both the lock and certain people not shitting up the joint every chance they get.

H2A with cgi cut scenes?

I preffer real time cinematics to CGI, it also saves resources to do more stuff in game rather than giving you the ilusion of watching a movie instead of a game because you will never do that stuff in the real game.

Thats one of the things I loved in Halo and main of the reason I replayed Reach campaign so much

Chettlar

Banned
I preffer real time cinematics to CGI, it also saves resources to do more stuff in game rather than giving you the ilusion of watching a movie

Thats one fo the things I loved in Halo and main of the reason I replayed Reach campaign

Yeah, same.

Can't wait till we get graphics that look like this in game though, so you CG cut scenes aren't as much of an issue any more:

640px-Halo_4_Spartan_vs_Brute.png

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hehe.

Serious answer? :). It keeps bothering me, for some reason.

Also, did the Mantle's Approach give the Phantoms/Liches shields during the same cutscene, similar to an Engineer? Or do Phantoms have special shields they only use when traversing through slipspace?

Covenant stuff is largely protected by shields, meaning less emphasis on the material construction. In fact most Covenant stuff gets turned into tin can debris by conventional human weaponry. The knife is likely titanium or some other hard metal. It might be stated in the bible actually, I will go look.

High School GED? WOW

You should look at the subsequent qualifications required. It would be dumb to ignore a talented designer who had shipped awesome games but didn't hold a BA.

Chettlar

Banned
Covenant stuff is largely protected by shields, meaning less emphasis on the material construction. In fact most Covenant stuff gets turned into tin can debris by conventional human weaponry. The knife is likely titanium or some other hard metal. It might be stated in the bible actually, I will go look.

You know, it'd be pretty cool, if just for the fun of it you posted a random page out of the bible. Would it be too much to ask for that? Like just a quick picture of a full page out of it.

You should look at the subsequent qualifications required. It would be dumb to ignore a talented designer who had shipped awesome games but didn't hold a BA.

Can I customize my knife in Halo 5?

I want to assassinate Yourexwife with a green turquoise knife.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You know, it'd be pretty cool, if just for the fun of it you posted a random page out of the bible. Would it be too much to ask for that? Like just a quick picture of a full page out of it.

Well it's almost all digital now. But maybe I will. As soon as we're done with these other things.

Mistel

Banned
I preffer real time cinematics to CGI, it also saves resources to do more stuff in game rather than giving you the ilusion of watching a movie instead of a game because you will never do that stuff in the real game.
It would be very jarring to go from realtime to CGI you would loose some of the fluidity I think which makes the experience enjoyable.
Nooo just a trailer or terminals
That would be the best use of it.

Chettlar

Banned
Well it's almost all digital now. But maybe I will. As soon as we're done with these other things.

Awesome! Didn't know you'd made so much progress (but then again I haven't been keeping up with it super well).

Tell me, in the bible, do you guys mention somethings that might have been canceled or whatever? Like, don't need to be specific, just wondering if certain things that were originally planned for the games but got cut might make it. At least some of the more significant ones, like the forerunner tank or this

Can I customize my knife in Halo 5?

I want to assassinate Yourexwife with a green turquoise knife.

You have some of the best ideas ever.

Woorloog

Banned

Interesting. I assume Covenant does use a lot of stronger materials too though, like the Hunter shields. Or the Plasma Rifle casings, considering the Elites use them as clubs quite often.
Presumably many of the Covie materials are also relatively lightweight, you want to make spacecraft as light as possible (even with, especially with anti-gravity tech, even with abundance of energy).

Booties

Banned

SHUT UP! I'm used to the biotech/biomed industry which is usually something like M.S. + 9 years and PhD +11 for a $45,000/year job. I live in a sad world. It should be more like that job posting actually.

That must be an insane type of person to find though. How do you get your foot in the door with a high school diploma/GED and release 2-3 AAA titles?

Chettlar

Banned
Interesting. I assume Covenant does use a lot of stronger materials too though, like the Hunter shields. Or the Plasma Rifle casings, considering the Elites use them as clubs quite often.
Presumably many of the Covie materials are also relatively lightweight, you want to make spacecraft as light as possible (even with, especially with anti-gravity tech, even with abundance of energy).

This is all really cool, but you could kind get a taste for it looking at things like the ghosts as far back as Halo 2 (easier to see in 3). The material that they use gets literally ripped apart. If it's metal, it's not the same kind we use.

Frankie, what kind of material do they use on the Ghosts that makes them tear up like that?

Woorloog

Banned
This is all really cool, but you could kind get a taste for it looking at things like the ghosts as far back as Halo 2 (easier to see in 3). The material that they use gets literally ripped apart. If it's metal, it's not the same kind we use.

Frankie, what kind of material do they use on the Ghosts that makes them tear up like that?

I figure it is some kind plastic/metallic/ceramic composite. Perhaps relatively thin layer of each, or some kind of alloy. The latter is likely, because Halo books indicate spectrometer results didn't tell much.

Chettlar

Banned
I figure it is some kind plastic/metallic/ceramic composite. Perhaps relatively thin layer of each, or some kind of alloy. The latter is likely, because Halo books indicate spectrometer results didn't tell much.

It's possibly layered as well. In fact, you can tell it is. Underneath the shiny smooth exterior, you have this kind of honeycomb black stuff. Some sort of skeleton I would think.

EDIT: ok, not honeycomb, but you see what I mean.

Woorloog

Banned
It's possibly layered as well. In fact, you can tell it is. Underneath the shiny smooth exterior, you have this kind of honeycomb black stuff. Some sort of skeleton I would think.

EDIT: ok, not honeycomb, but you see what I mean.

Yeah, i get what you mean.

Also, what i said about spectrometers might not matter, it was about the Covie starships, and their shields might foil the scan.

Chettlar

Banned
Yeah, i get what you mean.

Also, what i said about spectrometers might not matter, it was about the Covie starships, and their shields might foil the scan.

That actually makes a lot of sense. That way the shields are doing more than just shielding against projectiles. They also help to prevent stealing of the tech.

SHUT UP! I'm used to the biotech/biomed industry which is usually something like M.S. + 9 years and PhD +11 for a $45,000/year job. I live in a sad world. It should be more like that job posting actually.

That must be an insane type of person to find though. How do you get your foot in the door with a high school diploma/GED and release 2-3 AAA titles?

It's been a while since I've been into serious game development, but I think you could intern after high school after pumping out a few small games, get hired as a tester and work your way up, start college but drop out to work on big personal projects instead resulting in a super portfolio, etc... Game development as an industry places a huge stock in actual things accomplished because historically the formal academic programs have been nonexistent to "tighten up the graphics on Level 3"

Woorloog

Banned
That actually makes a lot of sense. That way the shields are doing more than just shielding against projectiles. They also help to prevent stealing of the tech.

But it can't shield from everything, because otherwise you get what is basically double-blind cloaking device.

daedalius

I'm imagining the Halo bible to be a massive intranet wiki, maybe even a single computer with several backup harddisks in a giant sealed off vault.

I'm probably making it sound cooler than it actually is.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm imagining the Halo bible to be a massive intranet wiki, maybe even a single computer with several backup harddisks in a giant sealed off vault.

I'm probably making it sound cooler than it actually is.

A few scraps of paper, filled with illegible notes that everyone is free to interpret as they wish.

(My own notes tend to be like that)

Chettlar

Banned
But it can't shield from everything, because otherwise you get what is basically double-blind cloaking device.

Well yeah, but if it could shield from everything ever...there would be no game. Still, as long as the shield is messing up signals and making it difficult to figure out what's going on, then the important job is done.

Self taught, make something cool, show your capability.
Knowing someone might help.
http://i.imgur.com/plogKn4.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Day made.

So, Frankie, are the Halo 4 Jackals a sub-species and do the avian looking Jackals still exist? I vastly prefer the old look for the Jackals, but it would be cool to see the new Jackals take a heavy variant alongside our old creepy vulture friends.

ENCFhFu.jpg

Seeing the full ensemble of the Kig-Yar family would be interesting.

Top Bottom