• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Woorloog

Banned
Halo PC had a first-person flamethrower with wonkier physics, and there would be instances of "invisible flames" depending on what settings your particles were at. As a result, people would end up walking into their little patches of fire a lot more than you'd expect.

Well, it was added by Gearbox for the MP mode. IIRC the flamethrower Bungie was making would have been a tad different looking to boot (but not sure. Perhaps the PC flamer was based of Bungie code an all that). Lag made the weapon... interesting to use...
Besides, most weapons work perfectly well against the Flood in first person, don't think that was a justification for the flamer to be 3rd person weapon.
And the damn flamethrower was so damn weak (the damage over time effect was relatively weak though it did stack, and direct damage wasn't much better than, say, dual Plasma Rifles) in Halo 3. Firing it slowed your aiming speed too.
EDIT actually, all the support weapons are rather weak for their drawbacks, in Halo 3 at least. They didn't, with the exception of the Missile Launcher, get much use in Halo 3 MP as far as i recall. Not that they have to be something you use in every match.

Woorloog

Banned
Do you really have to call it a flamer?

Much shorter to write than "flamethrower". Don't really care if it is correct or not. EDIT wait, it has meanings i'm not aware of? EDIT okay i'll fix it.

EDIT not sure why but i've always had an impression that "flamer" is a short form for "flamethrower". I think this stems from an old Finnish game (no Finnish text though) where the flamerthrower was called "flamer".

"Flamer" I can stomach in moderation, but using the shorthand five or six times in a row makes it sound a little too on-the-nose. I'd be down for calling it a "flammenwerfer."

He can hardly call it a Fancygun or a Fabulauncher.

stinky pls. It's the VMN4 Domfablirent Subjector.

Missile pod > flamethrower

I remember guarding Valhalla's bases during One Sided Assault with it, it was so damm good to use on the narrow corridors bellow the base floor.

Woorloog

Banned
I concur. Less effect on perf too.

Ah, i recall matches on Construction. Whenever someone picked up the flamethrower and used it, the game started lagging even if everyone had good connections... Not to mention framerate plummeting easily if there was a lot of action otherwise too.

TheOddOne

Now this is awesome:

halo_fan_1500.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Still, there was that spider story from PAX last year. With heckfu and the sleeping bag.

Oh shit! I forgot. That was at Claude's place which is apparently close to where Frank lives. That area must be infested with spiders.

My place...spider and insect free.

edit: That piece above is incredible.

FyreWulff

Ah, i recall matches on Construction. Whenever someone picked up the flamethrower and used it, the game started lagging even if everyone had good connections... Not to mention framerate plummeting easily if there was a lot of action otherwise too.

And then they made flames not so performance killing in Reach.

And cut flame grenades and the flamethrower. :lol

I FOUND IT.

It was a monster. Now it is in the sewer. I should have taken a picture. But I was scared it would escape again. It was fast. And I was scared it would run up my leg and eat my junk.

This is a picture of a smaller one from last year. Same kind. Hobo Spider. Genus: Arachnia NopeusNopeus.

3xq7ax1.jpg
The chronicles of Frankie and the giant spider "megadeath" reaches it's stunning and heart pounding conclusion. One will walk away, one will perish. But will they ever be the same man/spider again?

Fire based weapons in Halo are pretty cool but I'm not overly concerned about them, although:
Incendiary grenade > Pulse grenade.
Was always fun in campaign and even ODST firefight to try and guess where a brute stalker was, and then lob a incendiary at him watch his shields flare and die.

Nebula

I'm at work tomorrow so not much chance of seeing me on at all. Friday might be possible but only for a few hours as I have work on Saturday.

Nice to know heavies is back though.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I FOUND IT.

It was a monster. Now it is in the sewer. I should have taken a picture. But I was scared it would escape again. It was fast. And I was scared it would run up my leg and eat my junk.

This is a picture of a smaller one from last year. Same kind. Hobo Spider. Genus: Arachnia NopeusNopeus.

Bring that into the office.

I don't think I've seen a single spider since I've moved here.

There was a daddy long legs a couple weeks ago in the bathroom but we won't be seeing him any time soon.

I FOUND IT.

3xq7ax1.jpg
Oh crap. Burn it Burn it wit fyre!!

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
Maybe its the perpective but is slightly different in the arms interconnected with the gloves in one big piece of armor unlike the official Halo 4 where looks like it have like 6 armor pieces for the gloves and another piece for the arm

I think it's just the angle. I originally thought it looked a ton like the OG Mark VI. It honestly gives me Spartan 1337 vibes. :)

Missile pod > flamethrower

I remember guarding Valhalla's bases during One Sided Assault with it, it was so damm good to use on the narrow corridors bellow the base floor

I once was betrayed for the missile pod on Valhalla, true story.

That spider is horror incarnate. Looks like the pic was taken in a disused Romanian warehouse too.

Once he turned back, I just knew what he was going to do.

Pretty crappy Bulletin today. Only good thing in it was the possibility of there being Dominion Heavies.

Yep it was inevitable, a much better ending.

I didn't think the bulletin was crappy, pretty great content for me.

1. Spartan laser airsoft gun shooting 2200bps, wow, video at waypoint

lazer2-2062e9e9a45741de9f29d531bf21e2b6.jpg

2. Online tourney from Beyond Ent with 128 entrants

menu-logo-cdc9b6710e474602975e17325bb4f8dc.png

3. A screenshot with some feels

halo4-screenshot_wraith10-6426655907f94bf59b8c254153a47da4.jpg

4. A community vote for gametypes again.

What's crappy? That's damn solid content for a game released late 2012.

Welfare

Yep it was inevitable, a much better ending.

I didn't think the bulletin was crappy, pretty great content for me.

1. Spartan laser airsoft gun shooting 2200bps, wow, video at waypoint

2. Online tourney from Beyond Ent with 128 entrants

3. A screenshot with some feels

4. A community vote for gametypes again.

What's crappy? That's damn solid content for a game released late 2012.
1 and 3 don't really appeal to me. Sure 1 is very cool, but doesn't do much for me. 2 was just an interview with the person who won the tourney. And I hate the Community Choice Polls. Either add them all in a later update or don't do it.

I look forward to these Bulletins in the hopes that 343 will actually have a good and worth-while update for Halo 4's Matchmaking. An explanation why Heavies can't be in BTB because of "6v6", they won't give another playlist a shot in a permanent slot, and the Community Choice Polls really irritate me. But that's just me.

Top Bottom