• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Gah, I don't think they did a good enough job either Reagan's BR, but your posts can be a bit uncomfortably venomous to read.
Give me Halo 3 with Reach's netcode, a hitscan BR, and a touch of anti-aliasing, and I'd probably fail college
Oh, that's interesting, you prefer Reach's netcode to 4's?

Anyway, I agree, that would be blissful in my book.

Sorry, Halo 3 is good where as the first two were amazing. Also, keep in mind that when I say things are bad I'm saying that relative to Halo 1 and Halo 2 which I consider to be nearly perfect. H1 and H2 also happen to be my favorite games across all genres. Compared to other games out there even Reach and H4 are great games, where as they are bad when only compared to other Halo titles.

Also, computron, I know of there was a set of alternate .xbe's for retail Halo 1 that enabled debug menus that leaked a while ago but this is the first I have heard of a beta build.

Fuchsdh

I'm sure this is the reason 343 cut those features. However, my buddies and I actually did use them!
You're probably right. I see the argument for removal of some of that stuff (the weapon icon) and even the callouts but I do think the X offered a lot of utility even to more casual players and less communicative players like myself.

(I think simplifying the motion tracker would also be nice--at least turn the vehicles back into large dots?)

Louis Wu

Maybe it's general advice. I mean, there are guys out there with guns trying to kill you. Everyone should be careful.
I found this out (to my dismay) yesterday when I was running around Shatter. My eye was caught by the funky green lava flow off to one side, and I went to get a closer look.

Some jerk shot me in the back. :(

Fuchsdh

Let's not criticize the lack of a compass, 343 might actually try to fix that instead of, you know, things we care about.
The compass was mostly useful in the campaign, especially when Noble Team would call out approaching dropships. Callouts are much more useful in confined maps spaces.

malfcn

I happen to like the Boltshot.

66OR0.png

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like an explanation for the lack of Red X's.
You know, I agree. I'm not the type that usually cares about explanations from 343. Like, I don't care about why they did something as much as I care about how it ultimately impacts the game. But the lack of Red Xs is just so baffling, I'd really like to hear where they were coming from.

Maybe it's general advice. I mean, there are guys out there with guns trying to kill you. Everyone should be careful.
That guy should make tutorial videos.

I honestly experimented with all the weapons and I find the Boltshot really boring to use now. I have Firepower on three loadouts so I can have BR/AR, Light Rifle/Suppressor and Carbine/Storm Rifle. I figure I don't switch to my secondary (minus Plasma Pistol in BTB) until enemies are in close range anyway, so I might as well have automatics that destroy in close quarters. Plus, it's incentive: I actually have to earn my kills by landing the first few shots with a precision weapon first so they can actually get killed in time my the automatic, rather than just a free kill with the Boltshot.

Overdoziz

Banned
Question for the Cartographers: Did 343 say anything about what the performance of Forge maps in splitscreen has to be like? From what I've heard it's much harder to get a smooth framerate for splitscreen in Forge than in was in Reach. Add up to that the framerate issues on the developer maps in splitscreen and it really makes me wonder what 343's policy is on this.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Question for the Cartographers: Did 343 say anything about what the performance of Forge maps in splitscreen has to be like? From what I've heard it's much harder to get a smooth framerate for splitscreen in Forge than in was in Reach. Add up to that the framerate issues on the developer maps in splitscreen and it really makes me wonder what 343's policy is on this.

I think one of them said awhile back that 1P was all the maps needed to support.

CyReN

We have a blood oath.

metzger203

I'm in the middle of building a new computer; does anybody here still play Halo 1 or 2 for PC? I always thought the PC-exclusive maps were awesome - Death Island, Gephyrophobia, Timberland, Ice Fields... never got to play District or Uplift, but I really wanted to. Especially District, since it appears to be what Turf should have been, and I always thought that building from the first area of Outskirts would make a great base for CTF or assault.

Also, I picked up ODST since it was the only Halo game I didn't own. Been playing through the campaign and I have to say the New Mombasa environment is a lot of fun to explore. I wish they would make this area in front of the ONI building towards the end of Kzingo Boulevard into a multiplayer map. As far as I can tell, it's perfectly symmetrical. Looks like it would be a lot of fun for CTF and possibly KotH.

EDIT: Just found out it's actually a firefight map called Rally Point. Still, I'd like to see how it plays in competitive multiplayer.

This here is why I don't think adding another voting option is a good idea. It just makes it that more likely people will stick to the map/gametype of the month.

That's easily rectified by adding a "cooldown" though. You could either make it not show up for one game if it's not selected, or selecting it however many times (let's say 3) consecutively would not make it show up for 5 games.

Ideas for Halo 5 maps:

Prideland
BTB map set on the Brute homeworld which is ruled by magma and magnetism; takes place in a savanna plagued by electrical storms, aurorae, etc. Choppers would be present. Basically Standoff meets Sandtrap.

Temporium
Mid-sized map set in a Forerunner clock tower that requires significant map knowledge/control to win; features a ton of moving parts and platforms, all of which can be predicted due to visible hardlight gears or clocks on the walls. Colossus, Construct and Chiron had a very vertically-oriented baby.

That's easily rectified by adding a "cooldown" though. You could either make it not show up for one game if it's not selected, or selecting it however many times (let's say 3) consecutively would not make it show up for 5 games.
Not sure how easy that really is when you have a shifting set of players in each match. one or two players may have just played a certain map while others haven't in a while. It can get complicated.

Fuchsdh

I'm in the middle of building a new computer; does anybody here still play Halo 1 or 2 for PC? I always thought the PC-exclusive maps were awesome - Death Island, Gephyrophobia, Timberland, Ice Fields... never got to play District or Uplift, but I really wanted to. Especially District, since it appears to be what Turf should have been, and I always thought that building from the first area of Outskirts would make a great base for CTF or assault.

Also, I picked up ODST since it was the only Halo game I didn't own. Been playing through the campaign and I have to say the New Mombasa environment is a lot of fun to explore. I wish they would make this area in front of the ONI building towards the end of Kzingo Boulevard into a multiplayer map. As far as I can tell, it's perfectly symmetrical. Looks like it would be a lot of fun for CTF and possibly KotH.
Well it was a Firefight map...

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I just noticed that on Halo Nation... haven't actually gotten around to playing ODST firefight yet, I want to beat the campaign first.
Combination of smaller sandbox, Carbine as a power weapon and map design makes ODST Firefight awesome, especially if you have a good connection for online play (beware that a desync is a game-ender.)

wwm0nkey

That new Disney game has a better map editor than Halo 4 :C

(I will continue to bitch about this until Halo 5)

EDIT: God dammit....

- Can customize gameplay
- Logic Editor: create video games
- Games based on Donkey Kong, Ivan “Ironman” Stewart’s Super Off-Road shown
- Can edit the camera for your games: side-scrolling, top-down view, etc.
- 4-player, drop-in/drop-out multiplayer
- Goat-like character Mike is riding on in the screenshot is called Archie the Scare Pig
- In Toy Box, can make buildings, road, terrain types, sky colors, and more
- One designer recreated Mario Kart’s Bowser’s Castle

Top Bottom