• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Yes. Halo 3 was a watered down Halo 2. Halo 1 and 2 were different but both were amazing games. A lot of people like Halo 3 because it was their first halo title or their first Halo title online. People who experienced H1 and H2 on lan and online know that Halo 3 just wasn't that great.

People are bitching about this post. But this happens to be one of your best.

Good shit man. Completely agree.

Halo CE was just a watered-down Marathon, smh guys. They even took out dual-wielding. You know the gameplay's gonna be a bubbling cauldron of shit if they're removing features before the franchise even learns how to walk. Pathways Into Darkness had the superior gunplay, yet this thread is going to be plagued by filthy casuals gobbling up shit soup like it's fucking laced with unicorn meat. "bububu Halo looks cooler!" Get some dual fusion pistols and on my fucking level, you plebeians.

Why you are guys posting screen caps of weapon kills and deaths? That's only for a single gametype, there is no way to look at your weapon kills and deaths across all gametypes, as amazing as that sounds.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halo CE was just a watered-down Marathon, smh guys. They even took out dual-wielding. You know the gameplay's gonna be a bubbling cauldron of shit if they're removing features before the franchise even learns how to walk. Pathways Into Darkness had the superior gunplay, yet this thread is going to be plagued by filthy casuals gobbling up shit soup like it's fucking laced with unicorn meat. "bububu Halo looks cooler!" Get some dual fusion pistols and on my fucking level, you plebeians.
YEAHHHH *bro fist*

Fuchsdh

Mysterious pipes should've been used to awaken the Ancient Evil.

If you define "well-refined" as weaker weapons across the board, nerfed strafe, floater jump, wacky aim acceleration that made aiming a chore, generally less smooth movement and navigation of maps, worse maps, no hitscan weapons with lots of bullet spread, stronger melee, weaker gametype/map combos in MM, and weaker gametypes in general (assault sucks in Halo 3, 3 Plots removed) then yes, Halo 3 is a well-refined version of Halo 2.

metzger203

Anniversary Slayer makes me feel like a god.

Agreed. I enjoy the anniversary maps a lot. The visuals are fantastic. When I heard Headlong and Timberland were coming back I was all like
sam-neill-as-dr-alan-grant-in-jurassic-park-100x100.jpg

...but when they removed anniversary BTB I was all like
s-475claire4.jpg

I still prefer the first Team Classic playlist - the one with forge remakes of Lockout, Beaver Creek, Midship, and Warlock. The custom settings really made it feel like classic Halo. Being able to toss the flag up to a teammate on top of one of the Beaver Creek bases brought me back to the good 'ol Halo 2 days. That was Reach at its most fun for me.

Why you are guys posting screen caps of weapon kills and deaths? That's only for a single gametype, there is no way to look at your weapon kills and deaths across all gametypes, as amazing as that sounds.

Why would you ever want to look at those kind of statistics? That's crazy talk.

I've never noticed any difference in aiming between any of the Halo games. I must be crazy.

Different people notice it at different levels. Tashi also claims that he barely notices the difference in aiming between the different games.

Even when we played Reach the other day, it took me a few games to get used to the aiming, and I think that aiming in Reach and H4 is probably the closest feeling of any of the Halo games.

Why would you ever want to look at those kind of statistics? That's crazy talk.

How dare I want to view basic stat information!

Halo 3 was better than Halo 2.

No, maps in H2 are better.

You have to look at each aspect of the game.

Halo 3 felt like I was playing in molasses. Game was slow, framerate was shit. Ughh. Netcode stunk, BR was garbage randysauce, maps were the worst. Snowbound SHIELD DOORS.

Host booting. Circle boosting, achievement boosting, rank whore, deranker accounts.

Terrible playlist management.

AR starts on AVALANCHE.

Always forgetting when you need to push to talk and when yyou dont, and then it changed halfway through the game I believe.

Regen respawn time...what were they thinking.

Chain-nade explosions stunk compared to sticky launching in H2.

When you looked someones gamercard up it had like your icon in their colors or something like that. That was never fixed. Annoyed the shit outta me.

I could go on but you get the point. Halo 3 was unrefined as much as any other Halo game was and is.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
B FOR CROUCH IS A SHITTY IDEA

You playing default?

Overdoziz said:
Question for the Cartographers: Did 343 say anything about what the performance of Forge maps in splitscreen has to be like? From what I've heard it's much harder to get a smooth framerate for splitscreen in Forge than in was in Reach. Add up to that the framerate issues on the developer maps in splitscreen and it really makes me wonder what 343's policy is on this.

Max local players is 1. Don't worry about split screen

BR feels much tighter in Halo 2 but halo 3 has better weapons overall. No bxr or brb and super jumps make halo 3 the better experience. an element of rose tint comes with people's halo 2 experiences but it was a great game regardless

Halo 2 has better maps.

Trip mine and bubble shield are awesome. overs and camo should be pick.

bring equipment back for Halo 5th remove sprint as default but keep it optional

Booties

Banned

So my friend over at SomethingAwful.com created this website: http://halocustoms.com/, which is a pretty useful place to arrange custom games quickly or plan sessions ahead of time with like-minded players. It has a small user base since it was just released, but has already shown to do exactly what it's intended for pretty well. My friend had at least one map put into MM for Halo: Reach and is an active member of Forge Hub and other nerd webpages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QkSayqUtWk&feature=player_embedded

Booties

Banned
Equipment was awesome. Even regen and bubble shield.

Watching the pros use equipment was gross. I love when kids talk trash on MLG. Then those MLG guys go play BTB and absolutely dominate with radar, AR starts, and bubble shields.

Kyle, post that video where someone saves Walshy with a bubbleshield on that beach map with the big wheel.

People are bitching about this post. But this happens to be one of your best.

Good shit man. Completely agree.
I appreciate it.

I want to see more of these broad and sweeping generalizations.
My point is coming from H1 and H2's smooth aiming and great headshot weapons felt like a regression. The BR in Halo 3 wasn't the accurate hit scan BR from Halo 2 or the Pistol from Halo, not to mention the horrible spread. On top of that Meele battles often ended in two deaths, something that rarely ever happened in the previous games. On top of that, the movement in Halo 3 was much slower than previous games; strafing was not as useful. In Halo 2 you had to shot the enemy and strafe to dodge his shots, in Halo 3 the footwork aspect was gone.

If you are a BTB fan I can see why you would enjoy Halo 3. The large sandbox and large maps lead to some really fun moments, however, BTB is only a fraction of the game. Halo 2 had some great BTB maps and moments as well but being on older hardware, they were not to the same scale as Halo 3. Halo 3 evolved BTB by introducing larger maps and new sandbox elements (elephants, choppers, mongooses, equipment) but the actual base game regressed.

I say all of that because I seem to remember you being a BTB fan and I believe that is probably why you like Halo 3 so much. I'm sure you would like Halo 3's large maps and expanded sandbox with Halo 2's basic gameplay elements (Hit scan no spread BR, faster movement and strafe, no double melee, etc).

My point being while Halo 3 was a great game, it was not the best Halo game when it comes to core mechanics. Halo 3's expanded sandbox was great and while the map selection was not collectively as good as Halo 2's selection, it did have some great maps. But for all of the improvements and new features Halo 3 brought, the core mechanics of the game somehow regressed.

Even doing the aggregating myself, the Boltshot makes up for less than 2% of all my deaths.

Even doing the aggregating myself, the Boltshot makes up for less than 2% of all my deaths.

I think the boltshot is a fine weapon just not a fine starting one. It should be on the maps like maulers in Halo 3. Then again, we will probably never get true weapon spawns in this game.

Tashi

Even though I don't really get killed by the Boltshot all that often, it still feels cheap when I do. Makes me feel like shit. I feel like I've been cheated. That's gotta count for something right?

TheOddOne

Heh - first thing I run for, in most games. :) (It's perfectly situated to take out that Tank. Or the Gauss Hog, if you're on Red Team and manage to beat the Blues...)
Yup! People barely picked it up before, but now that the indicator are fixed more pick it up.

J10

Banned
It'd be neat if there were a screencap feature built into the non-gameplay areas of the next game, so you could just take quick snapshots of post game stats to save you folks the trouble of screencapping Waypoint to make fun of/vent about randies. Like an iPhone. (Assuming they'll ever have a way to get those snapshots from Xboxes to a working website on the internet somehow.)

I think the boltshot is a fine weapon just not a fine starting one. It should be on the maps like maulers in Halo 3. Then again, we will probably never get true weapon spawns in this game.

Still makes it a bad weapon for Halo 4 then because you need to take your game mechanics/systems into account.

Even though I don't really get killed by the Boltshot all that often, it still feels cheap when I do. Makes me feel like shit. I feel like I've been cheated. That's gotta count for something right?

The range for an instant oneshot is too long.

Should be seeing more shield stripping shots (absolute perhaps) than actual kills imo.

Would result in more two-piece kill (boltshot+melee) and possible trades. Similar to the mauler beatdown.

Booties

Banned
new page

So my friend over at SomethingAwful.com created this website: http://halocustoms.com/, which is a pretty useful place to arrange custom games quickly or plan sessions ahead of time with like-minded players. It has a small user base since it was just released, but has already shown to do exactly what it's intended for pretty well. My friend had at least one map put into MM for Halo: Reach and is an active member of Forge Hub and other nerd webpages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QkSayqUtWk&feature=player_embedded

Tashi

The range for an instant oneshot is too long.

Should be seeing more shield stripping shots (absolute perhaps) than actual kills imo.

Would result in more two-piece kill (boltshot+melee) and possible trades. Similar to the mauler beatdown.

That's exactly how I thought it was going to function at first. A single mauler requires a shot and melee to kill unless done at point blank range.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Focusing more on options rather than gameplay itself.

Yeah, similar to the discussion had since Forge was introduced, Halo was never meant to have a full map editor. That's why I hate the "____ game has a better map editor!" because Halo was never meant to have one.

If they put one in and it's shitty, by all means compare it to other games. Until they do, however, it doesn't make sense.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yeah, similar to the discussion had since Forge was introduced, Halo was never meant to have a full map editor. That's why I hate the "____ game has a better map editor!" because Halo was never meant to have one.

If they put one in and it's shitty, by all means compare it to other games. Until they do, however, it doesn't make sense.
Until they stop putting Forge maps in matchmaking alongside normal maps, I think it's pretty fair to compare it.

Still makes it a bad weapon for Halo 4 then because you need to take your game mechanics/systems into account.

Like camo...yeah I agree. I'd much prefer the mauler.

Really, for me the perfect Halo game has the gameplay of Halo 2, with the sandbox of Halo 3, and the less auto aim, higher FOV and centered reticle of Halo 1.

u4iX

New page.

So my friends over at the internet created this website: http://www.halocouncil.com/, which is a pretty useful place to arrange custom games quickly or plan sessions ahead of time with like-minded players. We have a large userbase despite being just released, but has already shown to do exactly what it's Nintendo for pretty well. We've also featured several Forge maps via articles on our front page and contain a large number of prominent Froggers from the community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY

Good stuff.

I feel that 343 went too far overboard to make Halo their own. I get the weapon icons for the drops, it's not a bad thing to do, especially if you're going after a new crop of players who may just be getting into Halo (I honestly think this is the demographic they chose to go after, a new generation to age with the new Halo). I'd love to have static weapon spawns back, even with the indicator. Along with a much more modest Personal Ordnance system, that would have been enough for me to see 343's watermark on the game. What we got instead was a big red rubber stamp mashed all over a clean piece of paper.

Absolutely. There are a few things about this game, in all modes, that make me as a player feel like I've been screwed by something other than my playing. Getting blasted by a camo user with a Boltshot is one of them.

Until they stop putting Forge maps in matchmaking alongside normal maps, I think it's pretty fair to compare it.
Yep.

Top Bottom