• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Yeah, similar to the discussion had since Forge was introduced, Halo was never meant to have a full map editor. That's why I hate the "____ game has a better map editor!" because Halo was never meant to have one.

If they put one in and it's shitty, by all means compare it to other games. Until they do, however, it doesn't make sense.

Until they stop putting Forge maps in matchmaking alongside normal maps, I think it's pretty fair to compare it.

Agreed with Over. Halo does not have a full map editor/creator, but it is treated as one, and the "maps" that it creates are implemented into matchmaking. As long as that continues to happen, it deserves all criticisms and comparisons.

new page

So my friend over at SomethingAwful.com created this website: http://halocustoms.com/, which is a pretty useful place to arrange custom games quickly or plan sessions ahead of time with like-minded players. It has a small user base since it was just released, but has already shown to do exactly what it's intended for pretty well. My friend had at least one map put into MM for Halo: Reach and is an active member of Forge Hub and other nerd webpages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QkSayqUtWk&feature=player_embedded

Just signed up, it looks like its pretty big, 100 members online ATM.

Wonder if the news/forum section would be better as secondary tabs while the main page is an IRC channel for live setting up of games. You might wanna suggest that to him. At least add one in as a link.

Agreed with Over. Halo does not have a full map editor/creator, but it is treated as one, and the "maps" that it creates are implemented into matchmaking. As long as that continues to happen, it deserves all criticisms and comparisons.

Yep. Forge was supposed to be a a small object editor intended to make small changes to maps with scenery and weapons. When Bungie introduced foundry they made it for the sole purpose of creating new multiplayer arenas. Ever since then Forge has been a map editor. Bungie even shipped forge maps in Reach as real maps.

Forge (Reach not Halo 4) is fine as an object editor but it is not a suitable map editor which is what the developers and customers use it for. It is time for 343 to introduce a real map editor and leave the object placement to forge.

Gazzawa

reskinned pieces of...........................................................................................................

.....geometry

Fuchsdh

Different people notice it at different levels. Tashi also claims that he barely notices the difference in aiming between the different games.

Even when we played Reach the other day, it took me a few games to get used to the aiming, and I think that aiming in Reach and H4 is probably the closest feeling of any of the Halo games.

How dare I want to view basic stat information!

I don't notice much difference in aiming. Movement and grenade chucking, however, are big differences to me. I can never aim my grenades properly in ODST.

matthieuC

WTF you're a GAFfer? I tried getting to your fileshare to download Marauder from you but the search came up empty. You take it out of your fileshare?

Yeah just got in with the new batch. But yeah I took marauder out b/c frankly, it sucked. I'm working on something much better atm.

metzger203

I don't notice much difference in aiming. Movement and grenade chucking, however, are big differences to me. I can never aim my grenades properly in ODST.

I've been struggling with this as well. I mean I guess it makes sense since you're an ODST and you're weaker than a spartan, but with the scale and proportions the way they are, it feels like an ordinary human should be able to throw a bit farther.

Oddly enough, I seem to be better at sticking enemies in ODST.

One thing that would make matchmaking Sooo much better is the hit "X" to party up feature from Halo 3. I never knew why they took if out. You finally get on a decent team with some mic'd players and they either switch you match you up again.

"Party up, Party up"

If you are running the flag, it doesn't trigger a sudden death or overtime.

WHAT THE WHAT

One thing that would make matchmaking Sooo much better is the hit "X" to party up feature from Halo 3. I never knew why they took if out. You finally get on a decent team with some mic'd players and they either switch you match you up again.

"Party up, Party up"

Well that was taken out in favor of the continuous lobby, which is all the rage these days.

Havok

If you are running the flag, it doesn't trigger a sudden death or overtime.

WHAT THE WHAT
Nope. Overtime only happens when the game is already tied, and doesn't extend past the minute it gives you.

It's not very good. Getting rid of traditional sudden death that actually succeeded in creating tension is a little strange considering that was one of their design goals. Overtime doesn't do it, in my experience it just leads to a minute of both teams turtling (especially considering that most pushes will take over a minute to complete). The days of shouting "don't let them touch it!" as the match timer ticks down are over, which is a little sad. Reinstating sudden death and proximity contesting (which is sorely needed, especially if they adjusted the return timer on a map-by-map basis) would be pretty high on my priority list if I were overhauling that gametype.

Tawpgun

Regarding h2 vs h3... If we take it on ideal environment, meaning no cheating, no glitches, no lag, Halo 2 CLEARLY wins.

Despite some of the nerfing of weapons and player traits Halo 3 did, it was a more refined experience.

Nope. Overtime only happens when the game is already tied, and doesn't extend past the minute it gives you.

It's not good.

Yeah that just happened to me, down by one, running the flag with a clear open path to the base to tie it...GAME OVER

Turrible!

-----------------------

Some of you might find this entertaining:
tigeN.jpg
Moral of the story: So hyped for the new SimCity.

Regarding h2 vs h3... If we take it on ideal environment, meaning no cheating, no glitches, no lag, Halo 2 CLEARLY wins.

Despite some of the nerfing of weapons and player traits Halo 3 did, it was a more refined experience.

"Refined" as in designed gameplay or simply that Xbox Live evolved as a platform and developers had the tools to crack down on cheating?

Ryaaan14

Banned
Well that was taken out in favor of the continuous lobby, which is all the rage these days.

Does anyone even like a continuous lobby?

I want to be on a team that faces someone new every match. I don't want to hop into MM and have to manually back out and re-search every single game.

It's not very good. Getting rid of traditional sudden death that actually succeeded in creating tension is a little strange considering that was one of their design goals. Overtime doesn't do it, in my experience it just leads to a minute of both teams turtling (especially considering that most pushes will take over a minute to complete).

343 during most of their CTF/objective design decisions:
TOAK7.gif

Some of you might find this entertaining:

Moral of the story: So hyped for the new SimCity.

I literally just sent this to a gun nut at work that agrees with the NRA that videogames are at fault. GET OUT OF MY HEAD STEELY!

Havok

343 during most of their CTF/objective design decisions:
http://i.imgur.com/TOAK7.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]I think I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt going forward, provided they show that they understand the actual issues that people have with the changes. I mean, they've done good work with King of the Hill and Oddball...it's just that CTF, Dominion, and even Extraction are either big steps backwards from predecessors (past CTF, Three Plots/Territories) or just kind of lackluster in default settings (hi, Extraction). The worrying thing will be if that's just shrugged off as being their new vision or if it's spun out into being the primary gametype where we get token support or lip service with some fringe "Hardcore CTF" gametype that doesn't really help things in the current voting environment.

It isn't like Bungie didn't make some huge missteps with objective in their day either - instant arm 4v4/5v5 Assault, removal of objective contesting, etc. made objective in 3 a step backwards from 2, and Reach rectified some (but not all) of those issues. So I guess I have faith? Or hope, at least. They've got some time to turn it around, but I think the real indicator will be what that February TU contains. If it means waiting until Halo 5 for them to get their objective play up to par, then I think I might be done.

Duji

I'd like an explanation for the lack of Red X's.

Here's the only thing I can think of.

Because of instant respawn, you could be alive while your X is still visible to your teammates (unless they show the X for a split-second). This probably lead to sensory overload and much confusion when tested. I guess they lessened the effect of this by showing a yellow X on the radar for a couple second after your teammate dies as a replacement.

Just imagine you die, instant respawn, and get killed again instantly. There would be two red X's plus your service tag when you spawn again (for the third time).

DeadNames

Banned

Because of instant respawn, you could be alive while your X is still visible to your teammates (unless they show the X for a split-second). This probably lead to sensory overload and much confusion when tested. I guess they lessened the effect of this by showing a yellow X on the radar for a couple second after your teammate dies as a replacement.

Just imagine you die, instant respawn, and get killed again instantly. There would be two red X's plus your service tag when you spawn again (for the third time).

It's in CoD. The X could be there for at least a second.

I messed up my shoulder at work yesterday and my aim is so bad right now it hurts to hold a controller normal. I just wanna spend my free day playing some Halo. :(

zap

Instant respawn ruining another mechanic :/

TheOddOne

Systems Designer
343 Industries, Microsoft's internal Halo studio, is looking for an experienced Systems Designer who can design and build gameplay systems for our next big project.

We are looking for an agile and collaborative individual who has a passion for games, Halo, and trying new things. This is your chance to join one of the most talented teams in the industry!

RESPONSIBILITIES:
Work with the Lead Designer to understand the vision of the product and design gameplay systems that bring it to life
Work across disciplines to ensure the systems design vision has the support it needs
Use internal development tools and scripting systems to develop gameplay systems and experiences
Participate in creative discussions, offer helpful critique, and provide your own compelling ideas
Identify needs and inefficiencies with the engine, tools and overall process to improve quality and iteration of design
Develop testing plans for your designs to ensure proper feedback, iteration and polish

QUALIFICATIONS:
High school diploma or GED required, AA/BA/BS preferred
Five years of industry experience
At least one AAA title shipped as a systems designer or equivalent
Demonstrable system designs in shipped products that you can discuss
Very experienced with game content creation tools (Unreal, Radiant, Starcraft editor, etc.)
Great communication skills; comfortable working in a very communicative and passionate team environment
Rabid Halo fan - be prepared to demonstrate that you've played all of the games and thought a lot about the franchise
tumblr_meyk6mwvKn1qllovxo1_250.gif

tumblr_meyk6mwvKn1qllovxo2_250.gif

They've got some time to turn it around, but I think the real indicator will be what that February TU contains. If it means waiting until Halo 5 for them to get their objective play up to par, then I think I might be done.
Yup, this has been my mantra since I put down the game back in early December.

Tawpgun

"Refined" as in designed gameplay or simply that Xbox Live evolved as a platform and developers had the tools to crack down on cheating?

As in less glitches, less cheating.

Gameplay elements are worse, I believe in almost every single way. Can't think of one element from Halo 2 that Halo 3 improved upon, gameplay wise.

EDIT: I seriously can't. Anyone have a differing opinion on something that was IN HALO 2 that Halo 3 improved, like a gameplay element.

As in less glitches, less cheating.

Gameplay elements are worse, I believe in almost every single way. Can't think of one element from Halo 2 that Halo 3 improved upon, gameplay wise.

Yea I hate when people use glitches and cheating as a point arguing against Halo 2. It was so early in Xbox Live they didnt have the means to prevent all that stuff. The game itself was still much better when it was being played correctly.

Tawpgun

Even though I don't really get killed by the Boltshot all that often, it still feels cheap when I do. Makes me feel like shit. I feel like I've been cheated. That's gotta count for something right?

I want to echo this. I hate when people used rarity and frequency of something bullshit to justify it.... it annoys me.

People used this same shit for defending Armor Lock and Bloom "Oh, you rarely run into armor lock anyway! Oh you almost always kill the AL guy anyway" "Oh you win firefights fairly MOST of the time!"

Spawning with a one shot kill weapon thats as easy to use as it is and has the range of the POWER WEAPON SHOTGUN is bullshit and you know it.

Omni

Are we hating Halo 3 now? So what's that leave us with... two good Halo games? (Halo Reach and Halo 4)

Lawl.

Tawpgun

Dual wielding was de-emphasised in playlists.
Needler.
No lock on with the rockets.

I think Halo 3 is better. *shrug*

First one is playlist management, I wouldn't call it a gameplay element. I thought AR starts were just as annoying as SMG starts. Probably less versatile even.

Needler was improved, I will give you that, that's a good one.

I was in support of lock on rockets. Laser I am not a fan of.

After playing Black Ops II MP for the past few weeks, I can say Halo 4 isn't that bad really. Not calling BOII bad, but it's not deep at all and loses it's fun factor quickly. Halo 4, despite the problems, is still pretty fun, and more deep than I think it gets credit for. It isn't as good as the trilogy games, but it's still solid. It has flaws of course, and things that need to be changed/fixed, but it's not as bad as I and others here were saying right after launch. I think hype/expectations were probably a little too high in retrospect.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
new page

So my friend over at SomethingAwful.com created this website: http://halocustoms.com/, which is a pretty useful place to arrange custom games quickly or plan sessions ahead of time with like-minded players. It has a small user base since it was just released, but has already shown to do exactly what it's intended for pretty well. My friend had at least one map put into MM for Halo: Reach and is an active member of Forge Hub and other nerd webpages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QkSayqUtWk&feature=player_embedded
This might do more to save my interest in Halo 4 than anything 343 pulls off.

My Halo 5 on-disc map wishlist:

15 maps. Even spread of 5 per faction - UNSC, Covenant, and Forerunner. Per faction there would be:

2 small maps.
2 medium maps.
1 large map.

1 of the small maps will be a Forge Canvas; this canvas is actually fairly large - the UNSC canvas is larger horizontally, the Covenant canvas is larger vertically, and the Forerunner canvas is a mix of both, similar in size to Halo 3's Sandbox. However, the map is made small for the sake of preserving framerate and being simplistic.

Each of these forge canvases houses a remake; there are no other default remakes in the map listings. One of which, even though it's small-to-mid-sized, would be Foundation.

The first map in each list is a canvas.

Ideal aesthetics per individual map:

UNSC
Small: Underground Facility (See Halo 3: ODST - Data Hive or a version of Rat Race with higher contrast in natural darkness and artificial lights)
-With a few changes, maps on this canvas could probably look pretty easily like nightclubs.
Remake: Rat Race?
Small: Armory/Warehouse (See The Pit and Elongation)
Medium: Insurrectionist Homefront
Medium: Glossy Palace (See Reflection)
Large: Destroyed Urban Civilian Environment (See Halo 3 ODST - Mombasa Streets and Halo Reach - New Alexandria)
It should be noted that this map would be littered in light snowfall and embers and be at night, with a few key areas lit up as waypoints.

Covenant
Small: Traditional Covvy (Zealot and Midship)
Remake: Foundation
Small: Zen Garden (See Halo 2 - The Great Journey, organic structures on Penance, High Charity
Medium: Drone-Occupied World (See Guardian)
Medium: Snowy Covenant Encampment (See Snowbound and Sidewinder)
Large: Brute Homeworld
This map would be at sunset and rely heavily on mute oranges and reds on one side with greens and purples (from natural foliage) on another.

Forerunner
Small: Classic Forerunner (See Halo 4 - Reclaimer's infamous gorgeous interior section)
Remake: Foundry Epitaph The Pit?
Small: "Pharaohrunner" (See Sandbox)
Medium: Didact's Ship (See Halo 4 - Midnight)
Medium: Flood Containment Facility (See Halo 2 - The Oracle, a more green Halo 1 - 343 Guilty Spark)
Large: "Maintenance Bridges" (See Gephyrophobia, Narrows, and Haven)

Booties

Banned
Good stuff.

Yeah but this site doesn't suck.

Yep, good website. Insane54 is a cool guy. (Your friend?)

Nah I'm friends with Vincent Torre aka Mickraider. Idk if he uses any other names. We played halo 3 together from day 1. All he does is forge maps and play customs now.

Just signed up, it looks like its pretty big, 100 members online ATM.

Wonder if the news/forum section would be better as secondary tabs while the main page is an IRC channel for live setting up of games. You might wanna suggest that to him. At least add one in as a link.

That chart shows how quickly its grown. Should do well if halo stays relevant. I'll let him know.

This might do more to save my interest in Halo 4 than anything 343 pulls off.

I agree.

matthieuC

Yeah but this site doesn't suck.

Nah I'm friends with Vincent Torre aka Mickraider. Idk if he uses any other names. We played halo 3 together from day 1. All he does is forge maps and play customs now.

Yeah I know him too. He used to be a mod at forgehub and he also makes some awesome remakes. I still remember blockout back in Halo 3. Another cool guy.

After playing Black Ops II MP for the past few weeks, I can say Halo 4 isn't that bad really. Not calling BOII bad, but it's not deep at all and loses it's fun factor quickly. Halo 4, despite the problems, is still pretty fun, and more deep than I think it gets credit for. It isn't as good as the trilogy games, but it's still solid. It has flaws of course, and things that need to be changed/fixed, but it's not as bad as I and others here were saying right after launch. I think hype/expectations were probably a little too high in retrospect.

BO2 nailed the online experience. The gameplay itself is lacking, but it's online integration, community outreach and general featureset are fantastic.

I don't think I'll ever prefer COD style military shooters to Halo or even arena shooters like UT99.

Top Bottom