• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

dalVlatko

Never saw MLG do:

Coagulation 2 or flag/bomb
Relic 1 flag/bomb
High ground 1 flag/bomb
Ivory tower 1 flag/bomb
Zanzibar 1 flag/1bomb
Hang Em High 1 flag/bomb

Sidewinder 2 flag/bomb
Burial Mounds 1 flag/bomb
Headlong 1 flag/bomb

Waterworks anything
Containment anything
Turf 1 flag/bomb
Terminal 1 flag/bomb

Valhalla 2 flag/bomb or 1 flag/bomb
Ghost town 1 flag/bomb
Longshore 1 flag/bomb

Boneyard
Boardwalk
Tempest
Powerhouse

Never seen MLG do a flag run in a hog

You get the point, there is plenty about objective that is great and non-MLG. Fine many of you love MLG objective, be my guest and play it, I totally agree is has the demand to warrant a playlist. Most likely as I stated before a playlist that has voting for slayer/objective.

I'd like to stick to default objective thanks.

Which version of Halo 4 has any of that?

Which version of Halo 4 has any of that?

My post was about the differences between MLG and default objective throughout all the games. Yes Halo 4 objective has some work/tweaks to do but what they did wasn't all bad by any means, just very different and for me a 3rd place behind Halo 3 objective (1st) and Halo 2 objective (2nd).

Guys snip his post please I really dont want to see it.

But lemme guess it says something like:

"I know people liek MLG but I like normal objective and vehicles so let me play that, also people are playing objective again cause 343 saved it (completely ignoring the fact that the objective playlists are practically dead)"

If you can't take the time to read my posts and see I'm in favour of having both default objective AND MLG objective then don't bother replying mate. Save us all the BS thanks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Give me some of what you're smoking please.
All of them were completely forgettable. I can't remember any of their names, and they were based on the most typical archetypes you could possibly have for a squad but with none of the personality. They tried to visually distinguish them a bit and then gave up halfway through so they look like minutely different ODSTs, lowest point in art design for characters in the entire series too.

ODST had some good ideas, but I never felt like it came together very well at all, especially the pseudo-stealth which didn't mean shit once you let your [silenced] gun spray. Another year in the oven and I'd put it alongside the other Halos.

FyreWulff

Every character in ODST was terrible. Writing and characterization low point of the series by a landslide.

wm02r.gif

Omni

Every character in ODST was terrible. Writing and characterization low point of the series by a landslide.

Reach was worse in regards to characterisation, IMO.

I never understood the love for ODST. I mean, sure... the gameplay was kinda interesting in Firefight but the campaign was sooooo incredibly boring and the story was obviously just thrown in for the sake of it.

kylej

Banned
how about we keep MLG doing what they're doing and you guys can make the Turdville playlist filled with gems like Longshore 1 bomb and CTF on Boneyard.

My post was about the differences between MLG and default objective throughout all the games. Yes Halo 4 objective has some work/tweaks to do but what they did wasn't all bad by any means, just very different and for me a 3rd place behind Halo 3 objective (1st) and Halo 2 objective (2nd).

If you can't take the time to read my posts and see I'm in favour of having both default objective AND MLG objective then don't bother replying mate. Save us all the BS thanks.

Here's the message so far from 343: You competitive fans can play any competitive playlist you like, so long as you pick from this list of which none of the options are competitive playlists.

It's like what Ford said.

Nutter

The more I read your posts, the more I cringe.

And who is this "us all" you include your post? The same group of people who sent you PM's?

CyReN

Never saw MLG do:

Relic 1 flag/bomb
High ground 1 flag/bomb
Ivory tower 1 flag/bomb
Zanzibar 1 flag/1bomb
Hang Em High 1 flag/bomb
Sidewinder 2 flag/bomb
Headlong 1 flag/bomb
Waterworks anything
Containment anything
Turf 1 flag/bomb
Terminal 1 flag/bomb
Ghost town 1 flag/bomb
Longshore 1 flag/bomb
Boneyard
Boardwalk
Tempest
Powerhouse

You get the point, there is plenty about objective that is great and non-MLG. Fine many of you love MLG objective, be my guest and play it, I totally agree is has the demand to warrant a playlist. Most likely as I stated before a playlist that has voting for slayer/objective.

Settings are based on balance, most of what you listed is either a combo of BTB map, was tested in MLG and didn't make the cut, or just out there for competitive play. Along with that MLG only allows 11 gametypes, why would they choose Turf 1 Flag over something like Midship CTF? It comes down to what's more competitive. I respect your passion (kinda) but you are talking about things you don't understand, again.

Overdoziz

Banned
Never saw MLG do:

Relic 1 flag/bomb
High ground 1 flag/bomb
Ivory tower 1 flag/bomb
Zanzibar 1 flag/1bomb
Hang Em High 1 flag/bomb
Sidewinder 2 flag/bomb
Headlong 1 flag/bomb
Waterworks anything
Containment anything
Turf 1 flag/bomb
Terminal 1 flag/bomb
Ghost town 1 flag/bomb
Longshore 1 flag/bomb
Boneyard
Boardwalk
Tempest
Powerhouse
Half the list is shit, the other half is BTB.

I forget where I copy pasted this from, but how accurate is it?

Didact
You know, I totally get Didact as far as his "I fucking hate you guys" villain bit. Let's look at his life, in short.

>Born a brilliant tactician with a strong capability for war
>...In a society that abhors violence against any living thing and views warriors with contempt
>Stumble upon the love of his life, marries her, and has several children, all of whom he is very proud for taking up the warrior's life like their pop
>Suddenly these human dudes attack
>Defends his people, people resent him for it
>"Quit killing ANYTHING!"
>All his children are killed during the war, by humans
>Humans claim to be running from nightmarish parasite
>Tell your people about this
>"Probly just an excuse bro. Finish your war. Also, you suck for defending us. Save the humans, etc."
>Devolve humans back to the stone age for being too cool for school
>Occasionally try to bring up that whole "galaxy-devouring parasite" thing
>"lol fuck you Didact, there's no parasite"
>There is a parasite
>"DIDACT HELP US, THERE IS A PARASITE"
>He opts to overhaul and strengthen the vigilance of all defenses, build sanctuaries, and cleanse the Flood utterly, the way you do with any disease
>"Sorry bro, we're gonna go with this guy's "galactic suicide rings" project instead."
>"But-"
>"lol fuck you Didact, how about some eternal imprisonment for being such a swell guy?"
>Imprisoned for no fucking reason
>Wakes up just in time to be betrayed and murdered by one of his own people
>Flood is wrecking everyone's shit because all military budget went into Suicide Rings™
>Have to reincarnate and obliterate the personality of a guy he was just warming up to
>Mutation makes him look fucking hideous
>Campaign against the Flood goes horribly
>Dickshit Forerunner guys actually trying to preserve the Flood instead of wipe them out because space hippies
>Wife, his sole emotional support, barely talks to him anymore because she actually supports using the Suicide Rings™ even though she spends all her days trying to find a way to preserve humanity, Didact's old foe
>Wife literally cares more about making sure your enemy lives than being with you
>Didact tries to find her
>"go away Didact, just kill us all so the humans (who warned us about the parasite you tried to defend us against after defending us against the humans) can live!"
>Wife dies on earth after burying Ark
>Didact never sees her again
>Forced to kill your wife (and the rest of the galaxy) then go to bed for a few thousand years
>Wake up, praying that the plan worked
>First thing you see is more fucking humans basically robbing your tomb and fucking around with your planet
>And they brought OTHER aliens that hate them
>Your only allies are toy soldiers you made because your own fucking people would never give you warriors (except your sons, who died)
>People of this time now have the gall to brand you a villain

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I never understood the love for ODST. I mean, sure... the gameplay was kinda interesting in Firefight but the campaign was sooooo incredibly boring and the story was obviously just thrown in for the sake of it.
The gameplay in ODST just gets worse the more you play it. The excessive vulnerability increases tension and makes you a bit more strategic but leads to more "cheap" encounters like the return of Halo 2 Jackals, Hunter spawns, etc. When it's good it's really fucking good, otherwise forgettable.

The stealth doesn't really function very well, and hiding in the darkness is a shit shoot, the city was nothing special, highly unvaried artistically, the encounters were not that great or memorable as a whole, city with nothing to do and not much personality (superintendent largely forgettable, despite helping the atmosphere in places), etc. It was just a really big beta test for an open-world game that I don't feel came together and the entire experience wasn't looked over a second time as a *whole*.

I thought superintendent integration was going to be much more prevalent than it was, especially the way they pitched the game. And I thought it would change the desolate city more.

Settings are based on balance, most of what you listed is either a combo of BTB map, was tested in MLG and didn't make the cut, or just out there for competitive play. Along with that MLG only allows 11 gametypes, why would they choose Turf 1 Flag over something like Midship CTF? It comes down to what's more competitive. I respect your passion (kinda) but you are talking about things you don't understand, again.

MLG is your baby, I get that, I'm not suggesting anything for MLG. I'm not trying to steer your MLG settings at all, make your settings how MLG want them and I truly respect those and want 343i to provide them for your community.

However when posts here imply that default objective should be a carbon copy MLG objective I take issue with that and post my take on things with respect to that. You know to provide another perspective on things.

As for talking about things I don't understand? Are you seriously suggesting a player since CE day 1 and 10,000's of games with 50's in H3 ranked objective doesn't understand the game? Please.

Havok

They share the same problem, really. Both are ensembles that never take the time to flesh out 3/4ths of their cast. Why does Mickey exist, or the dude that Adam Baldwin played? Why does Jun exist? They have strong high points, with Kat/Jorge and Buck/Dare, but the rest just feels like total fluff.

Didact

Dead accurate. It's all pretty gloomy and tragic at this point in the story. I'm excited to see where the rest of the Halo 4 story texts go. That is, the end of Spartan Ops, Silentium and perhaps something for 2013/14.

Stop talking to him, he literally asked why MLG doesnt have Zanzibar in it...he doesnt understand competitive gameplay.

You cant have people walking from beach over to the base every respawn on mainstage or fans will start throwing suddoths at people. You have to realize 80% of the crowd at MLG are high on Adderall.

Released

Never saw MLG do:

Relic 1 flag/bomb
High ground 1 flag/bomb
Ivory tower 1 flag/bomb
Zanzibar 1 flag/1bomb
Hang Em High 1 flag/bomb
Sidewinder 2 flag/bomb
Headlong 1 flag/bomb
Waterworks anything
Containment anything
Turf 1 flag/bomb
Terminal 1 flag/bomb
Ghost town 1 flag/bomb
Longshore 1 flag/bomb
Boneyard
Boardwalk
Tempest
Powerhouse

Many of those maps are for more than 8 players. I guess you could say that MLG could have done 8v8 tournaments or something, but that probably wouldn't have worked out too well considering the difficulties of getting enough people to the tournament to make 8v8 worth the trouble.

Also, Zanzi 1 flag actually was an MLG gametype at the beginning of H2. It blew (too big for 4v4, problems with ties) and was promptly removed. HH CTF (there was no 1flag in CE) was played with 2 rounds, but it suffered from many of the problems that 4v4 CE suffers from in general (object overload, host advantage, bad spawns, etc.).

u4iX

I suppose you understand default objective better than I do because you "get" competitive play. Be a little more elitist would you.

Actually though, that usually is the case. In order to rule out what isn't fit for the top tier competitive play, you have to look at factors that negatively or randomly effect the outcomes of games. You have to look at things that can be exploited, things that can be random, and things that can be unbalanced or unfair.

So yes, he does understand default objective better because he "gets" competitive play, but the converse of that statement is also true. He gets competitive play because he understands default objective.

He chose to actually analytically study and discover what default objective game modes are fit for competitive play.

It's not being elitist, it's being educated.

Omni

The gameplay in ODST just gets worse the more you play it. The excessive vulnerability increases tension and makes you a bit more strategic but leads to more "cheap" encounters like the return of Halo 2 Jackals, Hunter spawns, etc. When it's good it's really fucking good, otherwise forgettable.

The stealth doesn't really function very well, and hiding in the darkness is a shit shoot, the city was nothing special, highly unvaried artistically, the encounters were not that great or memorable as a whole, city with nothing to do and not much personality (superintendent largely forgettable, despite helping the atmosphere in places), etc. It was just a really big beta test for an open-world game that I don't feel came together and the entire experience wasn't looked over a second time as a *whole*.

I thought superintendent integration was going to be much more prevalent than it was, especially the way they pitched the game. And I thought it would change the desolate city more.
Yeah. I don't think I can add to this; I agree 100%.

Didact
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Didact the one who didn't believe the rumours about the Flood? He saw the humans as aggressive and seemingly hostile for no real reason.

It wasn't until later on that he started 'believing'. (I've got to read the books again before the final one comes out in March... It's been a while)

They share the same problem, really. Both are ensembles that never take the time to flesh out 3/4ths of their cast. Why does Mickey exist, or the dude that Adam Baldwin played? Why does Jun exist? They have strong high points, with Kat/Jorge and Buck/Dare, but the rest just feels like total fluff.
Oh yeah, totally. They could've been sooo much better. I see what Bungie were trying to do, it just really didn't work.

Actually though, that usually is the case. In order to rule out what isn't fit for the top tier competitive play, you have to look at factors that negatively or randomly effect the outcomes of games. You have to look at things that can be exploited, things that can be random, and things that can be unbalanced or unfair.

So yes, he does understand default objective better because he "gets" competitive play, but the converse of that statement is also true. He gets competitive play because he understands default objective.

He chose to actually analytically study and discover what default objective game modes are fit for competitive play.

It's not being elitist, it's being educated.

I'd like to see this analysis :p

Stop talking to him, he literally asked why MLG doesnt have Zanzibar in it...he doesnt understand competitive gameplay.

You cant have people walking from beach over to the base every respawn on mainstage or fans will start throwing suddoths at people. You have to realize 80% of the crowd at MLG are high on Adderall.

That's not what I got from his posts. From what I read I understood that he takes issue with people wanting MLG to be the default across the board gametype in matchmaking. And then he went on to explain that MLG doesn't have the all the slices of the Halo pie, so therefore having it be the default would be boring or not as fun to him, much as the way it is set up now is boring and frustrating to competitive fans. The variety isn't there. Sure there's variety for their new Halo 4 fringey gametypes, but there's non classic, no competitive. There needs to be both, not one or the other.

My point is coming from H1 and H2's smooth aiming and great headshot weapons felt like a regression. The BR in Halo 3 wasn't the accurate hit scan BR from Halo 2 or the Pistol from Halo, not to mention the horrible spread. On top of that Meele battles often ended in two deaths, something that rarely ever happened in the previous games. On top of that, the movement in Halo 3 was much slower than previous games; strafing was not as useful. In Halo 2 you had to shot the enemy and strafe to dodge his shots, in Halo 3 the footwork aspect was gone.

If you are a BTB fan I can see why you would enjoy Halo 3. The large sandbox and large maps lead to some really fun moments, however, BTB is only a fraction of the game. Halo 2 had some great BTB maps and moments as well but being on older hardware, they were not to the same scale as Halo 3. Halo 3 evolved BTB by introducing larger maps and new sandbox elements (elephants, choppers, mongooses, equipment) but the actual base game regressed.

I say all of that because I seem to remember you being a BTB fan and I believe that is probably why you like Halo 3 so much. I'm sure you would like Halo 3's large maps and expanded sandbox with Halo 2's basic gameplay elements (Hit scan no spread BR, faster movement and strafe, no double melee, etc).

My point being while Halo 3 was a great game, it was not the best Halo game when it comes to core mechanics. Halo 3's expanded sandbox was great and while the map selection was not collectively as good as Halo 2's selection, it did have some great maps. But for all of the improvements and new features Halo 3 brought, the core mechanics of the game somehow regressed.
Eh. All you're doing is stating your opinion on a game to support a statement that's not true. None of it backs up the part I quoted.

u4iX

I'd like to see this analysis :p

Well unfortunately it comes down to gameplay experience and a select few that do look at the random factors like spawns and how they are affected by objective location. So it's somewhat undocumented, but generally agreed upon.

Well unfortunately it comes down to gameplay experience and a select few that do look at the random factors like spawns and how they are affected by objective location. So it's somewhat undocumented, but generally agreed upon.

So are you saying Cyren actually studied or rather that he just agrees with the consensus?

u4iX

So are you saying Cyren actually studied or rather that he just agrees with the consensus?

I'm saying he's been playing the game in the competitive circles long enough to have gone through all of MLG's various gametype testing to know what works and what doesn't and why.

That's not what I got from his posts. From what I read I understood that he takes issue with people wanting MLG to be the default across the board gametype in matchmaking. And then he went on to explain that MLG doesn't have the all the slices of the Halo pie, so therefore having it be the default would be boring or not as fun to him, much as the way it is set up now is boring and frustrating to competitive fans. The variety isn't there. Sure there's variety for their new Halo 4 fringey gametypes, but there's non classic, no competitive. There needs to be both, not one or the other.

Well said.

Can we add MLG Waterworks to the rotation? A few notable changes:

Player trait zones added in all corners give you double damage and active Camo. BUT BUT BUT there's no shields so its not op

Banshees replaced with Scorpions

All stalagmites contain ordnance drops with "dynamic" weapons (binary rifles) that will basically bend over in front of you and let you pick them up if you can shoot one down

Rockets are replaced with the Quake Flak Cannon

Halo CE pistols are added but always overheat on the third shot

There are 27 Jetpacks available to pick up on the map; 28th was considered but ultimately scrapped for balance reasons

You can find a Halo 2-era Gauss Warthog in each base locked in for use of stratistgic defense

Central area and all corridors walled off to prevent camping

A lone Flamethrower can be found in the water pit

Mancannons added to emulate tactical superbouncing

I'm running MLG Bozeman this year so if you guys have any questions about other map rotations feel free to ask

Top Bottom