• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Spartan Ops can be as good as ODST if 343 can start doing different things with it. They even compared it to ODST pre-launch, so I was expecting an experince different from the campaign.

The story is getting real good and the missions are improving (I still wouldn't call them great), but I feel like I'm just the Master Chief in a new set of missions with different armor on. Spartan Ops had so much potential.

well if the netcode was better that would solve a lot of my issues with it. dont even bother playing it anymore

fb8e1a38a610221fc6ba2d7fbebdb070.gif

That's some mean slick dagonball Z shit homerun

Akai__

Friend has problem with opening his NAT, so, if you could help or figure out what the problem is, it would be much appreciated, 'cause I don't know what to do anymore...

He is going online with a LTE router and his NAT was open, some days ago, but then he had problems with his internet and he couldn't re-connect, so he decided to reset everything.

He has screenshots, of how the settings have been, before, but when he opens the ports, which are needed for an open NAT, nothing happens and his NAT stays closed.

Are there other settings, which are needed?

Anyone? Wasn't there an IP, which opened the NAT somehow?

In reality having a plasma pistol and the human pistol was all you needed in odst - which could be dull. If the alternative was a rock paper scissors style 'you need this weapon for this engagement' that would have been more frustrating.
You're kind of just saying stuff here without making a point. Not everyone uses the PP/Headshot weapon combo, and nobody's forcing you to use it.
Halo's combat is good when it comes down to good AI - interesting set pieces and your abilities to move around like a spartan - the weapon sandbox itself needs to be versatile in order for the gameplay to shine in my opinion - the pp/ pistol combo is just super simplistic and doesn't really let anything interesting happen. On the other hand The close range weapon sandbox limits the gameplay too much.
Halo does have a versatile sandbox. Each weapon is good against some enemies/aspects of enemies, and worse at others. If you think using the PP/headshot weapon combo makes the combat too simplistic, then stop using it.

You're kind of just saying stuff here without making a point. Not everyone uses the PP/Headshot weapon combo, and nobody's forcing you to use it.

Halo does have a versatile sandbox. Each weapon is good against some enemies/aspects of enemies, and worse at others. If you think using the PP/headshot weapon combo makes the combat too simplistic, then stop using it.

thats why i liked the flood, made you switch up your weapon
halo 3 probably, to me, had the best campaign sandbox / enemy encounter

thats why i liked the flood, made you switch up your weapon
halo 3 probably, to me, had the best campaign sandbox / enemy encounter

I'd be a little iffy on the actual weapon sandbox itself – Halo 1 had a very good balance among its weapons – but when it comes to the combat sandbox, encounter designs, objective placements, and utilizing all the elements within the Halo sandbox, Halo 3 is far ahead of every other game. It is, overall, the best designed Halo campaign.

Omni

Eh, I hated ODST. Firefight saved it, IMO, but the campaign was, for lack of a better word, crap and ultimately pointless (though that's my stance on pretty much every prequel ever)

Halo 2 > Halo CE > Halo 3 >>>>>> ODST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reach = Halo 4 (on the basis that while I may not be complaining about bloom and armourlock, H4 has other equally annoying elements to it)

Computer

Who thinks that 343 has realized that Halo 4 has major problems and they will undo all of their mistakes in Halo 5 to make a more classic style of Halo?

Talents

Banned
Who thinks that 343 has realized that Halo 4 has major problems and they will undo all of their mistakes in Halo 5 to make a more classic style of Halo?

I don't see them ever going back to classic style Halo. It looks like Armour Abilities are staying for good, same with things like sprint and other crappy things.

Kuroyume

Banned
Nothing makes me roll my eyes on GAF faster than someone lamenting the fact that the DMR or BR exists because it doesn't force them to use an SMG or brute spiker often.

There will be vehicle ordnance in Halo 5. Maybe not at your location, but Pelicans are going to start dropping them in MP maps at your base. They did it with weapons and the next logical step are vehicles.

Toa TAK

Banned
There will be vehicle ordnance in Halo 5. Maybe not at your location, but Pelicans are going to start dropping them in MP maps at your base. They did it with weapons and the next logical step are vehicles.

I want to see more people in Mongooses then. It's hard enough to finish that commendation in Halo 4.

I had a fantastic time playing Halo yesterday.
Probably played the longest I have in a while.
Team Throwdown is only a week away...
(But really, it is a playlist that is going to die from its terrible naming)

Personal Ordnance will be implemented across the board, mark my words.
Probably OP but crazy fun!

Gordon

They already did that. Invasion. Tier weapon/vehicle spawns = objective ordnance. Also, Dominion vehicle pads.

I have not played Halo in any form since November through sheer disappointment, but I will give Team Throwdown a whirl.

Someone give me a map pack code also.

Computer

I wish 343 would understand that Halo is a much better game when it is a simple game. All the added variables muck it up for the worse and benefits no one. Casuals and competitive players dis like the added fluff for different reasons. For casuals it makes the game to complicated and hard to pick up and play. For competitive players its unpredictable and random which is very frustrating at times. When features are added to a game to help casual players get kills it is negated by competitive players that will use the same cheap features with better results. In other words there is no point in catering a game to casual players. 343 needs to understand when if comes to a great Halo game less is more simple is better.

If the rumours of the nextbox are true, than I think I won't be around for Halo 5. No way Im buying such a thing :/

If Microsoft does it, Sony will do it. There were strong rumors the PS3 was doing the same a month or two ago, but that train died down and the Microsoft one picked up. Won't change any plans they have though if it's true.

Also, a feature like that will never be announced, so it's going to be a while before we know.

Madness

They can't change any of it, less they risk backlash from guys who love infinity slayer etc. Sites like IGN will hammer them in reviews if they ship halo 5 without any features they added from halo 4.

"343 has taken multiplayer backwards ten years by removing those tons of fun features like personal ordnance etc. Tactical upgrades and support added a layer of complexity that's missing now. It's the same halo we played a decade ago and it should have stayed in the past decade"

Now that's a ridiculous example, but that's what will happen. At best we can hope for pro/ranked playlists working from the start. Doubles Pro is fun as hell it should have shipped from day one alongside the infinity playlists.

Dax said it perfectly a few pages back, after halo 3, equal starts and pro halo became a niche and the social/casual random halo became the dominant version. All of us are dying for doubles pro as a competitive playlist, when just a few years ago, it wasn't even pro but normal halo game play.

wwm0nkey

They can't change any of it, less they risk backlash from guys who live infinity slayer etc. Sites like IGN will hammer them in reviews if they ship halo 5 without any features they added from halo 4.

"343 has taken multilayer backwards ten years by removing those tons of fun features like personal ordnance etc. Tactical upgrades and support added a layer of complexity that's missing now. It's the same halo we played a decade ago and it should have stayed in the past decade"

Now that's a ridiculous example, but that's what will happen. At best we can hope for pro/ranked playlists working from the start. Doubles Pro is fun as hell it should have shipped from day one alongside the infinity playlists.

Dax said it perfectly a few pages back, after halo 3, equal starts and pro halo became a niche and the social/casual random halo became the dominant version. All of us are dying for doubles pro as a competitive playlist, when just a few years ago, it wasn't even pro but normal halo game play.
Nope....thats sadly spot on.

heckfu

Banned
I wish 343 would understand that Halo is a much better game when it is a simple game. All the added variables muck it up for the worse and benefits no one. Casuals and competitive players dis like the added fluff for different reasons. For casuals it makes the game to complicated and hard to pick up and play. For competitive players its unpredictable and random which is very frustrating at times. When features are added to a game to help casual players get kills it is negated by competitive players that will use the same cheap features with better results. In other words there is no point in catering a game to casual players. 343 needs to understand when if comes to a great Halo game less is more simple is better.

You need to understand that not everyone feels this way and you sound like a child demanding something. I think a better approach would be for options, not just one way or the other.

They can't change any of it, less they risk backlash from guys who live infinity slayer etc. Sites like IGN will hammer them in reviews if they ship halo 5 without any features they added from halo 4.

Campaign theater. 343 has done it before and they can do it again...this time for the right reasons.

At this point, I just want more gametypes and custom game options.

I just don't understand how they thought not including gametypes like Assault or options for 1 Flag CTF would be okay. It's cool that they added a Grifball gametype, but did they forget how Grifball came to be? Do they realize they prevented such a thing from ever happening again?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've pretty much given up hope on Halo in the long term. Team Throwdown sounds like the best we're going to get from Halo 4.

At this point, I just want more gametypes and custom game options.

I just don't understand how they thought not including gametypes like Assault or options for 1 Flag CTF would be okay. It's cool that they added a Grifball gametype, but did they forget how Grifball came to be? Do they realize they prevented such a thing from ever happening again?

Yeah but... barely anyone really played Objective let alone the asymmetrical ones.

Top Bottom