• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

heckfu

Banned

Is she funny?

mrs%20featherbottom%5B3%5D.png

Who wants a banger in the mouth?!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm actually excited for this new map pack. It's been a good month for Halo 4 and it's just going to get better.

Me neither. Did Ghal quit completely, too?

Yes. He mostly just plays Skyrim now, like me.
No you're not, you, somewhat poorly, agreed with what I said.

I mean, I'm not really sure where the controversy lies. Do people just want to ignore the significant drop in sales from Halo 3 to ODST?

The difference is, you wrongly attributed that to ODST being a bad game, rather than the massive increase in popularity that COD enjoyed between the two launches.

No you're not, you, somewhat poorly, agreed with what I said.

I mean, I'm not really sure where the controversy lies. Do people just want to ignore the significant drop in sales from Halo 3 to ODST?

Are you ignoring the fact that it was a campaign expansion-gone-full retail game? Why would you possibly expect a spinoff to do as well as Halo 3?

Conor 419

Banned
Are you ignoring the fact that it was a campaign expansion-gone-full retail game? Why would you possibly expect a spinoff to do as well as Halo 3?

No, that's the ENTIRE point I've been making since the beginning of this never ending argument.

The difference is, you wrongly attributed that to ODST being a bad game, rather than the massive increase in popularity that COD enjoyed between the two launches.

No I haven't, I have stated hundreds, perhaps now thousands of times that I think ODST is a great game. I did so earlier, I had also stated in THAT VERY POST, that launching the fully priced ODST against MW2 was an absolutely disastrous move. Not once had I EVER stated ODST damaged the series due to the quality of the game.

Conor 419 said:
I love ODST's campaign, and nearly everything else about it. It's seemingly hard to forget however, that Halo's campaign is far less important to the general populace than its multiplayer, and apparently I'm the only Halo fan sane enough to realise that launching a Halo title without any competitive multiplayer for full price against the most wildly anticipated, feature packed sequel of all time was a terrible idea. Maybe I should reword 'ODST' to 'management of ODST's launch', the point remains however, this game marked the period when it all started going wrong.[

I mean, what!? You've both taken exactly what I said, and criticised me for not saying it.

No I haven't, I have stated hundreds, perhaps now thousands of times that I think ODST is a great game. I did so earlier, I had also stated in THAT VERY POST, that launching the fully priced ODST against MW2 was an absolutely disastrous move. Not once had I EVER stated ODST damaged the series due to the quality of the game.

This is true. He has never said that ODST was bad.

While i completely disagree with him that ODST damaged the Halo Brand I can see how he could form that opinion (even if it goes against what evidence supports).

He believes ODST damaged the brand because it had poor marketing and launched at full price.

No, that's the ENTIRE point I've been making since the beginning of this never ending argument.

I mean, what!? You've both taken exactly what I said, and criticised me for not saying it.

I see. Apologies. I'm still not entirely sure what you propose to have done instead, though.

Conor 419

Banned
This is true. He has never said that ODST was bad.

While i completely disagree with him that ODST damaged the Halo Brand I can see how he could form that opinion (even if it goes against what evidence supports).

He believes ODST damaged the brand because it had poor marketing and launched at full price.

I appreciate this is a gesture of goodwill, so thanks. I have to dispute the last point however, because I don't think I've claimed the marketing (which I believed to have been excellent, though misleading) was poor. The main points, at their core, boil down to Microsoft launching a fully priced expansion pack vs MW2.

I see. Apologies. I'm still not entirely sure what you propose to have done instead, though.

Budget title with emphasis that it is only an expansion to Halo 3. Appropriately priced it wouldn't have suffered the critical backlash it recieved, it would also have not left many of those who bought it at launch feeling ripped off. More positive reception and the lower price would have in turn probably led to better sales and and the critical acclaim this title deserves. This ultimately would have led to a stronger anticipation of Reach.

This is pitiful that we, as a Halo community (not just GAF), have to SCAVENGE for fun in Halo 4's MM.

Seriously, the hell with MM and limiting players to what the devs want you to play. I'd much rather have a Custom Games Browser with 2892730482734 games where I could find exactly what I want, even if it's only the same 10 people out of thousands online that I find similar interests with.

That's the problem people have with the idea of a CGB right? Too many options? Well... that's how communities are born and relationships are made. New friends are rarely met through MM, imagine how fun Halo would be if they constantly expanded upon improving the online structure they've had since Halo 2 instead of keeping the same, tired and limited shit..

What a disappointment. I used to love playing games on a service like XBC where everyone was together in one place. Going from games like Camo/PP/stickies only to 2v2 on Chill Out to Hog Wars to 2 hour long games of CTF. Games right there, advertised in one simple spot with ease of access. Shit's backwards now breh..

They should experiment with something like giving the player a good selection of filter options so they could match people up accordingly based on those parameters:

• Radar: On/Off
  • Loadouts: Restricted/Custom
  • Teams: Yes/No
  • ---If Yes, then you can choose between a few options like Doubles, 4v4s, BTB.
  • etc. etc.

^Possibly a better way to do MM? IDK, but anything is better than what we have at this point IMO.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I would love if there was a Halo game with online structure similar to Battlefield 3's.

Have 343-hosted servers with an automatic, pre-set map/gametype playlist, then custom servers rented by players. This will never, ever happen though.

ODST stunk. People were like "What the hell is this, wheres the MP?"

Then they were like "Halo Reach? Why are the making it CoD!? Oh well it cant get worse than this!"

Then they were like "Halo 4... :( whyyyyyyyy"

Akai__

I would love if there was a Halo game with online structure similar to Battlefield 3's.

Have 343-hosted servers with an automatic, pre-set map/gametype playlist, then custom servers rented by players. This will never, ever happen though.

If this ever happens, I'm out of Halo. It's the biggest bullshit in history of gaming, that people can rent a server and kick people, just because they are good or just because they have the power to do so.

IHaveIce

Banned
ODST stunk. People were like "What the hell is this, wheres the MP?"

Then they were like "Halo Reach? Why are the making it CoD!? Oh well it cant get worse than this!"

Then they were like "Halo 4... :( whyyyyyyyy"

People who thought that about ODST are really dumb and didn't understand how it was developed

orznge

Banned
If this ever happens, I'm out of Halo. It's the biggest bullshit in history of gaming, that people can rent a server and kick people, just because they are good or just because they have the power to do so.

Agreed. I seriously think every game with support for dedicated servers, especially those that popularized the trend in the first half of the 90s, are one of the biggest blemishes on the history of gaming.

Moa

So I'm reading through a topic on Waypoint for people to submit their maps for Matchmaking.

One map was designed for 4v4, and is slightly smaller than Haven, but has a Banshee, Ghost & Mongoose on it.

Another guy remade Uncaged, another guy remade Countdown and one final guy remade Ascension & Hang 'Em High.

I'm crying.

Overdoziz

Banned
Well, go into developer servers then? I don't see the issue. Battlefield 3's system is definitely not without its faults, but it still works pretty amazingly.
Either way there shouldn't be a server browser without matchmaking along with it.

People who thought that about ODST are really dumb and didn't understand how it was developed

Like half the people in this world have below Average IQ!

Plus noone gives a shit how the game was developed they just expect to get a full game when they pay full price. Not everyone nerds out and reads every detail before buying something, sometimes people are busy working and banging chicks.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Even with standardized 343 servers?

I hate abusive server admins just as much as you do, but I hosted a server on BF3 a few times with settings and maps I enjoyed and had a great time.

As much as people would like to discredit what Conor is saying, there's actually truth to it.

This is the reality of the mentality of people, people.

Well, go into developer servers then? I don't see the issue. Battlefield 3's system is definitely not without its faults, but it still works pretty amazingly.
Either way there shouldn't be a server browser without matchmaking along with it.

This. Halo turned into Nintendo with its franchise:

images

Molasses.

Akai__

Even with standardized 343 servers?

I hate abusive server admins just as much as you do, but I hosted a server on BF3 a few times with settings and maps I enjoyed and had a great time.

When I played BF3 last time, they weren't any official DICE servers in Europe and I really hated it, to get kicked from a server, when we were dominating or played differently.

I don't know, but I wouldn't give the server-admins the ability to kick people...

Too bad- then rent your own server or play on the official ones.

The BF3-style model mentioned in the post you're replying to would be the best thing to ever happen to the Halo franchise, IMO. Sure, you're eventually going to run into assholes that kick you for no reason, etc.- but in not too much time you will find good servers run by good people, you'll favorite them, and you'll play on them. Besides, it's not like there's any shortage of griefing, lag-switching, host-booting assholes to bump into in regular MM as it exists now. If you want to play a game online with strangers, assholes are always going to figure into the mix.

Overdoziz

Banned
When I played BF3 last time, they weren't any official DICE servers in Europe and I really hated it, to get kicked from a server, when we were dominating or played differently.

I don't know, but I wouldn't give the server-admins the ability to kick people...
There are DICE servers in every region, unless you're looking for certain obscure gametype/map combinations. I've played a shitload of BF3 and I've had kicking/banning issues maybe a handful of times. Again, alongside a matchmaking system having a custom game browser could be one of the best things to happen to Halo in a long time.

I think the BF3 setup would be near perfect if matchmaking only put you in official DICE servers instead of lumping them together. Then if you wanted to, you could browse the servers for custom ones if you'd like.

Top Bottom