• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

YOU SAID KITTIN TOO MANY TIEM

bojangles.

hQObr1V.jpg

GrizzNKev

Banned
In a funny way, Far Cry 3 is to Far Cry 2 what Halo 4 is to Halo 3.

So you're calling Halo 3 a boring, disorganized, horribly repetitive game with tons of mechanics made specifically to nag you or slow you down, clunky shooting, and a worthless narrative?

And Halo 4 an above average game with somewhat interesting characters and a setting that feels fresh in comparison to Halo 3?

IHaveIce

Banned
So a fullpriced game has to have multiplayer. Good to know, also ODST wasn't near the German full price...

I dont know I thought ODST was fair priced and just because it did something different (no new multiplayer) it was really good

In a funny way, Far Cry 3 is to Far Cry 2 what Halo 4 is to Halo 3.
Nah, as clearly evidenced Halo 3 was a lot more appreciated than Far Cry 2 was in that comparison.
While I see what you're getting at, I don't think the analogy works.
So a fullpriced game has to have multiplayer. Good to know, also ODST wasn't near the German full price...

I dont know I thought ODST was fair priced and just because it did something different (no new multiplayer) it was really good
In your country sure, the U.S. is the Halo market, not Germany [Nor Ireland].
The game was positioned in the marketing to be more than it was. Expectations tainted the games reception.

So you're calling Halo 3 a boring, disorganized, horribly repetitive game with tons of mechanics made specifically to nag you or slow you down, clunky shooting, and a worthless narrative?

And Halo 4 an above average game with somewhat interesting characters and a setting that feels nice in comparison to Halo 3?
Nah he's saying that one is a vapid experience full of characters that make you hate playing it and ultimately leaves you with a shallow emptiness once you realize how poorly structured it is and the other is Far Cry 2.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Nah he's saying that one is a vapid experience full of characters that make you hate playing it and ultimately leaves you with a shallow emptiness once you realize how poorly structured it is and the other is Far Cry 2.

Opinions. Far Cry 2's only redeeming quality was fire propagation. The rest was as un-fun as un-fun can be.

Akai__

There are DICE servers in every region, unless you're looking for certain obscure gametype/map combinations. I've played a shitload of BF3 and I've had kicking/banning issues maybe a handful of times. Again, alongside a matchmaking system having a custom game browser could be one of the best things to happen to Halo in a long time.

Not when I played the last time. Someone here made fun of me, back then, because I said, that there were no official servers in Europe. This was some weeks, after they released the custom server thing and DICE officially stated, that they will reduce the number of custom servers, in order to provide official ones, in other regions.

I would love to see a custom game browser for Halo, no question. I'm just sick of people being assholes and kicking you for no reason. It's not only in BF3, it's pretty much everywhere, where custom servers are available. But yeah, it's only happening a handful of times.

I think the BF3 setup would be near perfect if matchmaking only put you in official DICE servers instead of lumping them together. Then if you wanted to, you could browse the servers for custom ones if you'd like.

This is also a thing, that I forget. If you want to play a game and are searching via quick game, it throws you in a custom server, with ridiculous rules, sometimes. It would be much better, if they put you on an official server via quick game.

Opinions. Far Cry 2's only redeeming quality was fire propagation. The rest was as un-fun as un-fun can be.
Which is more redemption than I can offer for Far Cry 3. As repetitive as people claim FC2 to be, it didn't have all that nonsense trash loot and harvesting everywhere, and letting you take on side missions as you saw fit instead of making all the assassination missions the same and giving you one way to tackle hunts. If Far Cry 2 is unfun, it's at least interesting. FC3 isn't even that much.

Zoolader

So the stream isn't choppy at all for you guys?

Also, yes, FC3 is awesome but the framerate is awful.

http://www.twitch.tv/deadlycyclone
Not that choppy but the fps seems in the low 20's. Is it the 1080p stream or is the game running like that on your pc?

I've streamed from a console but not pc before. Are you using the same pc to stream that you are playing FC3 on? That would take some bit of processing power for the video, and would kill your gaming performance I would imagine. What are your pc specs if you don't mind me asking?

There is some cool stuff in Halo 4 I didn't know about

http://i.imgflip.com/kw86.gif[img]

[img]http://i.imgflip.com/kwa4.gif[img]

[img]http://i.imgflip.com/kwbe.gif

http://i.imgflip.com/kwcz.gif[img][/QUOTE]

Halo 4 Mythbusters eh?

Wonder if there's any way to deflect the gauss shot by 3 infinite hardlight shields and make a forever triangle unless someone moves...

Overdoziz

Banned
Not when I played the last time. Someone here made fun of me, back then, because I said, that there were no official servers in Europe. This was some weeks, after they released the custom server thing and DICE officially stated, that they will reduce the number of custom servers, in order to provide official ones, in other regions.

I would love to see a custom game browser for Halo, no question. I'm just sick of people being assholes and kicking you for no reason. It's not only in BF3, it's pretty much everywhere, where custom servers are available. But yeah, it's only happening a handful of times.

This is also a thing, that I forget. If you want to play a game and are searching via quick game, it throws you in a custom server, with ridiculous rules, sometimes. It would be much better, if they put you on an official server via quick game.
Why would you ever use quick match? That's asking for trouble, even before people could run their own servers.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not that choppy but the fps seems in the low 20's. Is it the 1080p stream or is the game running like that on your pc?

I've streamed from a console but not pc before. Are you using the same pc to stream that you are playing FC3 on? That would take some bit of processing power for the video, and would kill your gaming performance I would imagine. What are your pc specs if you don't mind me asking?

Thats FC3 on the Xbox. Framerate is hurl-inducing. Going from CoD (or even Halo) to this almost kills me. Screen tearing everywhere too.

Zoolader

Thats FC3 on the Xbox. Framerate is hurl-inducing. Going from CoD (or even Halo) to this almost kills me. Screen tearing everywhere too.

Ooo oh ok oops. When I had my hauppauge recorder there was a huge delay for the video signal, and it was almost impossible to record and game at the same time. I would just use it to record Halo 3 films from theater. Does the game play the same when not recording or streaming?

So guys this Friday anyway of playing Halo 2 online (officially) will be gone forever :C

Yep I was trying to see if there is anybody playing before that happens, maybe even try to get those achievements before they are gone forever. Anybody want to try and set up a one last Halo 2 multiplayer extravaganza?

So I'm reading through a topic on Waypoint for people to submit their maps for Matchmaking.

One map was designed for 4v4, and is slightly smaller than Haven, but has a Banshee, Ghost & Mongoose on it.

Another guy remade Uncaged, another guy remade Countdown and one final guy remade Ascension & Hang 'Em High.

I'm crying.

Uncaged D:

For a "weapon vidoc" explaining the mechanics behind my what-if sandbox, would you guys prefer spoken commentary/narration or just text explaining them? To clarify, there would be a couple videos:

Instruments of War (basic explanation of the premise)
The Sandbox So Far (Recaps on existing weapons that don't require much change)
Reloaded (Recaps on existing weapons with some moderate changes - see Energy Sword, Boltshot, etc)
And then individual videos for completely new weapons, such as the Combiner.

Karl2177

No you're not, you, somewhat poorly, agreed with what I said.

I mean, I'm not really sure where the controversy lies. Do people just want to ignore the significant drop in sales from Halo 3 to ODST?

An analogy then. A man trips and falls in the street. Minutes later he is run over by a car in the same street he tripped in. What you are essentially saying is that the trip killed him, not the car that ran him over. Yeah, it was a misstep to sell ODST at full retail price. It was a misstep to not include a $30-40 SKU that had only the ODST campaign/Firefight. But it's not what "killed Halo". Later Halo titles like Reach and 4 that shifted away from basic ideals of Halo is what is finishing it.

For a "weapon vidoc" explaining the mechanics behind my what-if sandbox, would you guys prefer spoken commentary/narration or just text explaining them? To clarify, there would be a couple videos:

Instruments of War (basic explanation of the premise)
The Sandbox So Far (Recaps on existing weapons that don't require much change)
Reloaded (Recaps on existing weapons with some moderate changes - see Energy Sword, Boltshot, etc)
And then individual videos for completely new weapons, such as the Combiner.

I wouldnt mind a Voice overview.

Akai__

Why would you ever use quick match? That's asking for trouble, even before people could run their own servers.

I said, it should redirect you to an official server. I used it maybe once or twice...

Nevermind, I know, that it is a great feature and Halo would benefit from it.

One more question. I don't really care about stats and such, but would the custom game browser count towards matchmaking stats or to custom game stats?

What is fucked up is the CEA terminals where supposed to lead into the story of Halo 4 but they match nothing in Halo 4. 343 guilty spark was the main character in the CEA terminals but you don't see him at all in Halo 4. I don't get it.
CEA's terminal are a self-contained story. They are showing 343GS' activities on Installation 04. They were never planned to lead into the story of Halo 4. They give hints. But nothing more. And they did match something in Halo 4: Guilty Spark teases the Didact has a hatred against human. And he has.

At the end you forgot the Reclaimer saga is planned as a trilogy from the beginning. We definitely see some of the information from the books or CEA's terminals in the future games.

ODST never killed Halo ....
I even don´t understand how somone could say this :/
ODST has a great campagne and evoke a real good feeling by playing.
For me it was the last Halo with a good story, and i think it was good that there was no new MP because halo 3 was enuogh, and it was or even is the best Halo to this day.

Conor 419

Banned
An analogy then. A man trips and falls in the street. Minutes later he is run over by a car in the same street he tripped in. What you are essentially saying is that the trip killed him, not the car that ran him over. Yeah, it was a misstep to sell ODST at full retail price. It was a misstep to not include a $30-40 SKU that had only the ODST campaign/Firefight. But it's not what "killed Halo". Later Halo titles like Reach and 4 that shifted away from basic ideals of Halo is what is finishing it.

I have never stated ODST killed Halo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sucks that FC3 has such shoffy performance. I was hoping to pick it up in a few weeks.

That Bravo gif is adorbs.

So 343 is going to have a trailer of some sorts for the Majestic Map Pack soon. I hope they do it the way Treyarch did for their last map pack. It was kind of a like a ViDoc where the developers talked about the maps and gave us their insights. Much better than an action montage that gives us little to no information.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ooo oh ok oops. When I had my hauppauge recorder there was a huge delay for the video signal, and it was almost impossible to record and game at the same time. I would just use it to record Halo 3 films from theater. Does the game play the same when not recording or streaming?
Plays fine yeah. Doesn't affect my xbox or anything.

Halo Wars shot Halo in the foot.
ODST shot Halo in the kneecap.
Reach shot Halo in the shoulder.
Halo 4 shot Halo right in the dick.
What does Halo Wars has anything to do with the FPS side of the franchise? The game is good.
ODST is good.
Reach... Ugh. Meh.
Halo 4. Still In Beta. But thanks to Bravo, MP is looking better.

Top Bottom