• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Yeah, I'd edit that.

inb4Heckfu

and what Duncan said.

What's your opinion on woodchippers, dicks and/or tits?

Quoting for posterity. Editing might save you, but I don't know that I care.

Oh we're still making fun of people who post here using a mental condition as a put down? That's still a thing here?

*MAC Cannons online*
*Requesting Coordinates*
*Target Acquired*

sskHoAK.gif

Why are we jumping all over ourselves about bans? An admonishment, an apology and an edit are all that is necessary. It really seems like an overreaction to an idle, insensitive comment. Saying that the person is dumb is also insensitive to people with speech impediments, if you want to get nitty-gritty, so we're all guilty at some level of oblivious rudeness just because these terms are part of our vernacular.

So a friend and I were just reminiscing over Halo 3 ranks and the discussions people would have.
by the water cooler

Meeting someone new who plays Halo 3:

Person 1: "Oh nice you play Halo 3! What rank are you in Team Slayer?"

Person 2: "50." (said with pride)

Person 1: "Sick, I'm still working on mine ;[ ... We should play sometime and maybe you can help me rank up."

Person 2: "Hell yeah." -high five and sometimes a butt slap-

This rarely happened in any other Halo after it with any other modes. Please 343, think of the kids.

All I know is Bungie was responsible for Halo 2s story. I personally believe the Covenant portion is extremely well done. Imagine that level of story telling translated across not just one race, but many in Destiny. I know you can do it Bungie.

All I know is Bungie was responsible for Halo 2s story. I personally believe the Covenant portion is extremely well done. Imagine that level of story telling translated across not just one race, but many in Destiny. I know you can do it Bungie.
That is an excellent observation.

So a friend and I were just reminiscing over Halo 3 ranks and the discussions people would have.
by the water cooler

Meeting someone new who plays Halo 3:

Person 1: "Oh nice you play Halo 3! What rank are you in Team Slayer?"

Person 2: "50." (said with pride)

Person 1: "Sick, I'm still working on mine ;[ ... We should play sometime and maybe you can help me rank up."

Person 2: "Hell yeah." -high five and sometimes a butt slap-

This rarely happened in any other Halo after it with any other modes. Please 343, think of the kids.

Person 1: "Oh, you play Halo 4! What's your rank?"

Person 2: "SR 45"

Person 1: "I'm not sure why I asked that?"

Person 2: "Me neither."

heckfu

Banned
Why are we jumping all over ourselves about bans? An admonishment, an apology and an edit are all that is necessary. It really seems like an overreaction to an idle, insensitive comment. Saying that the person is dumb is also insensitive to people with speech impediments, if you want to get nitty-gritty, so we're all guilty at some level of oblivious rudeness just because these terms are part of our vernacular.

It's common knowledge around neogaf, and particularly this forum, that talking like that isn't acceptable in any way. Using the phrase that the developers 'have downs' isn't ok in my book or many others. Sorry I take offense to that.

Dirtbag

I'm not nearly as convinced Bungie has a clue how to tell a story.
Kings of lore though

Don't talk sense, man. This is a losing fight. Stick to the Halo talk.

It's common knowledge around neogaf, and particularly this forum, that talking like that isn't acceptable in any way. Using the phrase that the developers 'have downs' isn't ok in my book or many others. Sorry I take offense to that.

Well it clearly isn't common knowledge if we have people posting like that every couple of weeks. Instead of piling on the guy for that one comment, why not tell them why it ain't good, and let them apologies without any harm done?

Or does that mean no drama tonight?

Karl2177

I love how the game concisely describes what you unlock in each specialization. It really lets me know exactly what I am unlocking. Without those descriptions, I don't think I'd even know what Halo 4 is.

So when I rank up to unlock another spec in a month or two, what exactly is the one where I earn XP faster?

blamite

Person 1: "Oh, you play Halo 4! What's your rank?"

Person 2: "SR 45"

Person 1: "I'm not sure why I asked that?"

Person 2: "Me neither."

Person 1: "Oh, you play Halo 4? What's your CSR in Team Throwdown?"

Person 2: "I have no idea what either of those things is."

Person 1: "I'm not entirely sure myself."

Yea thats in my notes for the podcast. 1-50 was one of the main reasons to get out there sign onto a forum and meet some new players. It created social aspects you just dont get anymore and that kills community slowly.

"Oh, you play Halo 4! What's your rank?"

"Oh, they added those? That's cool, I don't really know. I haven't been playing all that much lately."

"Yeah, I know what you mean."

"Hey, how about that chick Faye in accounting, huh?"

Rev3rb

Yea thats in my notes for the podcast. 1-50 was one of the main reasons to get out there sign onto a forum and meet some new players. It created social aspects you just dont get anymore and that kills community slowly.

...I miss the separation of ranked and social playlists

Computer

Flinch in snipers is fucking insane! Its not just a lil nuge nooo. If you get hit with a body shot you will be staring at the fucking clouds in the sky. There is no way in hell to counter that shit. By the time I move my slow ass Y axis back to normal im dead. With hundreds of common since oversights like this I don't see how the industries best of the best made this game.

Nowise10

Flinch in snipers is fucking insane! Its not just a lil nuge nooo. If you get hit with a body shot you will be staring at the fucking clouds in the sky. There is no way in hell to counter that shit. By the time I move my slow ass Y axis back to normal im dead. With hundreds of common since oversights like this I don't see how the industries best of the best made this game.

Protip - Try not to get sniped in the body by someone

Wow, just realized the meeting with the Librarian in Halo 4 is a straight rip off of the Vigil Scene in the first Mass Effect. Like holy shit 343, this is bad... well mostly for you because the Vigil scene in Mass Effect fuckin rules while the Librarian scene is, well, whatever that was.

- stopped, then forced down specific path
- path leads to ancient "virtual intelligence"
- Vigils first words are of this "eventuality" that had him and Shepard meeting
- Tells that there will be grave threat soon (reapers vs composer)
- must stop Sovereign from using the Citadel as a mass relay and fucking erbody up (Didact Composer yada yada)

I could go on.

Wow, just realized the meeting with the Librarian in Halo 4 is a straight rip off of the Vigil Scene in the first Mass Effect. Like holy shit 343, this is bad... well mostly for you because the Vigil scene in Mass Effect fuckin rules while the Librarian scene is, well, whatever that was.

- must stop Sovereign from using the Citadel as a mass relay and fucking erbody up (Didact Composer yada yada)

I could go on.

An ancient spirit warning the protagonist of the future isn't a new concept though. Assassin's Creed does it as well.

I could go on.

To be fair, meeting an older, wiser character bearing ominous news to aid the protagonist in their journey in a similar fashion isn't particularly exclusive to sci-fi video games.

EDIT: GODDAMN IT EAGLE

I could go on.
I'd say almost but in totally different design and perspectives. But Space Jesus Is Inevitable for Master Shepard Chief 11N7

Redford

aka Cabbie

I could go on.

Blood from a stone.

An ancient spirit warning the protagonist of the future isn't a new concept though. Assassin's Creed does it as well.

oh I know, it was just "this is all a result of an eventuality and I am ancient ai from old advanced race here is the key to defeating your greatest enemy" part that seemed pretty damn similar.

huh no, not remotely close man.

huh no, it's actually pretty freakin close, man.

I could go on.

huh no, not remotely close man.

Karl2177

One game executed really well on it and one left people asking questions. I think I sent it to you in a tweet, but there's a certain point to which you can expand your universe. ME1 and Halo:CE did it really well. In fact, I'd say up until Cryptum, it was done really well for Halo.

I could go on.
$10 that Mass Effect wasn't the first story to do this. All modern science fiction is derivative, if this works in the context of the story then it's really not a big deal. Being led by the lone Sentinel was really cool, but the conversation itself, too much information all at once.

Everything with flying cars ripped off Blade Runner, oh no.

Top Bottom