• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Bsigg12

Well, uh after that whole debacle, and I may be LTTP since I had to work all day, but has everyone seen the golden Halo 4 avatar armor you can get for watching 3 of 4 of the debates on Xbox Live?

http://rewards.xbox.com/get-yours/landing/election-2012

I didn't see it else where so if it's been posted, my bad.

election_large_minusbar.png

My God, that is terrifying. Did Mordin give him an enema or something?

Enfinit

You sign up on the site, redeem the code from package and then it gives you a code to redeem on XBL. It seems it gives out double XP by the match, the smallest increment being 3 matches. Ill see of there are more details buried, it was a lot to read through.

Got it. Although the real question is, am I going to spend enough to get 200 matches or not care after the initial purchase?!

Fuchsdh

Ahh just like old times, I now hope that

1| Halo 4 gets some kick ass adverts like Starry Night, or the Diorama
2| That FUD doesn't turn out to be as fucking bad as it looks.
3| There are cool surprises along the way

FUD looks like the Halo film we'd never get if it had been produced in Hollywood. I'm concerned about the young actors pulling off their roles, but thus far it looks like an actual story, and not just Chief killing aliens. I really couldn't have asked for more.

I was able to find some pics:

MozOS.png

86ION.png

kER7A.png

Bottle art is a bit lacking.

It's actually the same exact Chief pose as the Halo 3 one, IIRC.

FUD looks like the Halo film we'd never get if it had been produced in Hollywood. I'm concerned about the young actors pulling off their roles, but thus far it looks like an actual story, and not just Chief killing aliens. I really couldn't have asked for more.

It's actually the same exact Chief pose as the Halo 3 one, IIRC.

Eh, see with FUD Im a bit worried.. Its visual style both with color correction and then cinematography/editing really reminds me of a student project. It just does not have the visual finesse or flair of something official. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the trailer has a amateur vibe with a big budget; stuff like MC just look like something out of an MTV movie awards parody rather than an live action movie. I hope when the first episode hits next week it delivers, but I wont lie.. the trailer did very little for me.

As for Halo 3 Gamefuel, it was close:

GameFuel.jpg

Vire

Eh, see with FUD Im a bit worried.. Its visual style both with color correction and then cinematography/editing really reminds me of a student project. It just does not have the visual finesse or flair of something official. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the trailer has a amateur vibe with a big budget; stuff like MC just look like something out of an MTV movie awards parody rather than an live action movie. I hope when the first episode hits next week it delivers, but I wont lie.. the trailer did very little for me.

As someone who loves the Halo fiction, I have to agree.

It's weird for me to say since I truly love the storyline and characters from the books and games, but I have very little interest in FUD based off what I've seen. Live action just doesn't really interest me. Cryptic terminals or a viral campaign dealing with the story would get me a lot more interested.

I see some shots in the forest when they are kitted out in armour but sometimes it just looked too much like a prop.

Having said that, I really can't wait to see just how this story is told. I am really curious about the tone of the series too. I'm not too well versed in sci-fi series but I don't know how FUD is going to portray itself. Some series tell great stories in a light hearted way with good sprinkles of humour whereas other ones seem to go for a more serious, compelling tone. It's hard to get across.

^ That bottle art is a lot more interesting.

As someone who loves the Halo fiction, I have to agree.

It's weird for me to say since I truly love the storyline and characters from the books and games, but I have very little interest in FUD based off what I've seen. Live action just doesn't really interest me. Cryptic terminals or a viral campaign dealing with the story would get me a lot more interested.

See, I love live action, but FUD isn't doing it for me right now.. From what I have seen it just really has an 'unofficial' lower budget (the budget is obviously not low though) feel to it, and I can't say it would ever pass for a real movie.. At least the trailer wouldn't. I just wish the visual style was a little more professional looking. Still, Im tentatively looking forward to it, I mean a live action Halo series is awesome.

Fuchsdh

GameFuel.jpg

Ok, I'll give you that. But we would have gotten desaturated film and shakycam if Blomkamp directed Halo (along with a ridiculous gun POV shot, prolly.)

Halo is bright and attractive in presentation, if not content. I don't know why so many people would have it another way.

GhaleonEB

Can this be the OT title for OT10 or Halo 4 OT.

I'll see what I can do. I think we'll have one (actually make that two, we're going to have a lot to talk about) more Halo OT's before Halo 4's lands. I'll try to make'em fun titles.

I have the first two Halo 4 OT titles are already in mind.

Fuchsdh

I'll see what I can do. I think we'll have one (actually make that two, we're going to have a lot to talk about) more Halo OT's before Halo 4's lands. I'll try to make'em fun titles.

I have the first two Halo 4 OT titles are already in mind.

Question, why are you the one who does the OTs? Not like I have a complaints with your stewardship, just interested in GAF lore.

GhaleonEB

Question, why are you the one who does the OTs? Not like I have a complaints with your stewardship, just interested in GAF lore.

It's kind of a happy accident. I was a Halo enthusiast on GAF for a long time - back to 2001. I used to post a lot of Halo threads, and they sort of took on a life of their own (we used to have weekly discussion threads for each Bungie Weekly Update). When OT's started taking off, I did Halo 3's, and they sort of kept going.

I don't put any particular claim to them, it's just sort of tradition at this point. I actually wasn't planning to do the CEA one, but no one volunteered for a couple months after I mentioned it was up for grabs. I figured what the hell and put it together as release approached.

I'll similarly leave Halo 5 up for grabs for a good long while once it's announced. If no one wants it, I'll do it. They're a lot of work, so I can see why not everyone would want to.

Ok, I'll give you that. But we would have gotten desaturated film and shakycam if Blomkamp directed Halo (along with a ridiculous gun POV shot, prolly.)

Halo is bright and attractive in presentation, if not content. I don't know why so many people would have it another way.

Eh, but see, Blomkamps Halo looked less desaturated than FUD... FUD, so far, has had a very strange greenish-blue color correction that really seems to suck all the color and contrast out of each frame. On top of that, it doesn't look well done (Frankie did confirm CC was placeholder in the trailer) but rather like a simple filter was applied to the whole thing. Mix that with the weird filming style and the fact that a lot of props look like they are made from plastic and you get end up with something looking very awkward.

Neils shaky cam Halo trailers may not line up with how Halo is perceived visually, but it certainly had much better visual fidelity and color range when compared to FUD.

Landfall:

halo_landfall.jpg

FUD:

10347_Halo-41.jpg

It just doesn't look right, at all. The filming quality seems very low budget, the filming locations seem to be pretty bland and the props just don't show well on film.

After being treated to beautifully filmed shorts like Birth of a Spartan:

Birth-of-a-Spartan-640x316.jpg

or Commissioning:

halo.jpg

the bad style just sticks out all the worse. I have high hopes for FUD, but so far it just does a lot wrong visually that leaves me very worried.

I think it's how pristine everything looks. In the other media, you have battletorn armour and grizzled characters beneath them. The very clean look of the locations and wardrobe of the FUD series is perhaps meant to reflect that life before real combat. Maybe that is why things ust look like props as opposed to actual gear. Time will tell I guess.

or Commissioning:

halo.jpg

the bad style just sticks out all the worse. I have high hopes for FUD, but so far it just does a lot wrong visually that leaves me very worried.
I was always under the impression that Commissioning was a part of FUD. Doesn't it take place at the same time as Halo 4 as well as 20 year previous?

Fuchsdh

Eh, but see, Blomkamps Halo looked less desaturated than FUD... FUD, so far, has had a very strange greenish-blue color correction that really seems to suck all the color and contrast out of each frame. On top of that, it doesn't look well done (Frankie did confirm CC was placeholder in the trailer) but rather like a simple filter was applied to the whole thing. Mix that with the weird filming style and the fact that a lot of props look like they are made from plastic and you get end up with something looking very awkward.

Neils shaky cam Halo trailers may not line up with how Halo is perceived visually, but it certainly had much better visual fidelity and color range when compared to FUD.

Landfall:

halo_landfall.jpg

FUD:

10347_Halo-41.jpg

It just doesn't look right, at all. The filming quality seems very low budget, the filming locations seem to be pretty bland and the props just don't show well on film.

After being treated to beautifully filmed shorts like Birth of a Spartan:

Birth-of-a-Spartan-640x316.jpg

or Commissioning:

halo.jpg

I understand what you're trying to get at.

FUD is definitely being *graded*, which to me is better than simply dropping the saturation (I guess just via technicalities, but I'm an nerd about this stuff so excuse it.)

I will point out that these vignettes aren't really representative of the final product though. While the grades are still there, they are less severe and actually change depending on the environment, as see in the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca3Y8Ws3plI

The other thing is that we havent actually seen the final product. It might be exactly like we've seen, or substantially different (the trailer was made only weeks after the end of shooting, so you wouldn't have done a good color pass until picture lock.)

So you may get more than you're expecting.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It's kind of a happy accident. I was a Halo enthusiast on GAF for a long time - back to 2001. I used to post a lot of Halo threads, and they sort of took on a life of their own (we used to have weekly discussion threads for each Bungie Weekly Update). When OT's started taking off, I did Halo 3's, and they sort of kept going.

I don't put any particular claim to them, it's just sort of tradition at this point. I actually wasn't planning to do the CEA one, but no one volunteered for a couple months after I mentioned it was up for grabs. I figured what the hell and put it together as release approached.

I'll similarly leave Halo 5 up for grabs for a good long while once it's announced. If no one wants it, I'll do it. They're a lot of work, so I can see why not everyone would want to.

I don't want anyone doing a major Halo title OT other than you.

GhaleonEB

I don't want anyone doing a major Halo title OT other than you.

<3

Alright, never mind guys. Halo 5 thread is mine.
Dax

I'm going to start working on Halo 4's this weekend, gathering up some of the raw data and resources (I've got a few saved). m0dus is already working on the art.

Going to be simpler, a bit more streamlined this time around, so as to fit in one post.

Defect

Tridyrium is currently uploading ALL of the remix songs.

Edit: removed links because it's leaked. Just look up Tridyrium if you want to listen to them.

I think it's how pristine everything looks. In the other media, you have battletorn armour and grizzled characters beneath them. The very clean look of the locations and wardrobe of the FUD series is perhaps meant to reflect that life before real combat. Maybe that is why things ust look like props as opposed to actual gear. Time will tell I guess.

Eh, thats not quite it, at least not for me.

I was always under the impression that Commissioning was a part of FUD. Doesn't it take place at the same time as Halo 4 as well as 20 year previous?

Different directors/projects though they may share some actors, etc.

I understand what you're trying to get at.

FUD is definitely being *graded*, which to me is better than simply dropping the saturation (I guess just via technicalities, but I'm an nerd about this stuff so excuse it.)

I will point out that these vignettes aren't really representative of the final product though. While the grades are still there, they are less severe and actually change depending on the environment, as see in the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca3Y8Ws3plI

The other thing is that we havent actually seen the final product. It might be exactly like we've seen, or substantially different (the trailer was made only weeks after the end of shooting, so you wouldn't have done a good color pass until picture lock.)

So you may get more than you're expecting.

Hmm.. I think we can both agree that the visuals could be handled better though, but I do not discount the possibility that the final product may look a ton better. Still, I have hope.. I may snap some pics to better illustrate later.

One of my big issues are the scenes with MC... He is just filmed so awkwardly and he seems to 'look into the camera directly' a few times just kinda coming off as cheesy.

Tridyrium is currently uploading ALL of the remix songs. (Can't link, on mobile)

OMG.

Listening to Beauty of Cortana now. How did these get out already?

Top Bottom