• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

L1NETT

I'm not saying Meltdown isn't a good looking map, it is fantastic for Objective/Dominion etc. My point is that the balancing (a word said a lot about Halo 4 ;-) of the maps is a bit odd. I can see that pushing the all new CTF and Dominion would be what 343 want, but having 4 what I would call "classic" Halo style maps could been seen as too few.

I would have delighted with 6 arena style maps (i am talking Haven/Solace size) and 4 BTB ones. 5 would have been adequate.

From what we have seen Solace, Haven, Adrift and Abandon all fit the arena (ish) mold.

As Viewitful said, this looks like the most vehicle heavy Halo to date (map wise)

While the other maps may be really good (Longbow comes to mind) I can see Reach's problems occurring. The "Competitive playlist"or whatever it is called might try these larger maps, but want a return to the arena style maps, causing the flooding of Forge maps into that playlist, causing fragmentation blah blah blah.

Saying all that, Longbow might be a very good 5v5 Map as might Complex! We shall see

:)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This mining ship where Adrift locates is on low orbit of a planet while you have FULL gravity? Color me impressed for this nonsensical setting that defies the physics.

Every object on low orbit should feel zero gravity or near zero gravity for all the gravity serves as centripetal force, unless you are hovering against the rotation of the planet, or the ship is self-rotating.

343i am disappointed.

We have artificial gravity on every single ship ever shown in the games, including the Pelican. I would be more concerned with how we conquered C.

Traveling atbeyond the speed of light is far less trivial than gravity or even real fields tech.

Striker

Is this the first Halo to ship with more vehicle maps than non vehicle maps?
Launch maps

Halo 2 had 5 (not counting Ascension just because it had a Banshee)
Halo 3 had 3 (wouldn't count Isolation or High Ground as they were more infantry focused)

Halo 4 seems to have roughly the same count as H2 since it has more of those mid-sized maps with Warthogs and Ghosts in many areas. It is launching with fewer maps than each of those games, so it's close.

Vire

RVHHq.jpg

Sweet!

Jonsoncao

Banned
This mining ship where Adrift locates is on low orbit of a planet while you have FULL gravity? Color me impressed for this nonsensical setting that defies the physics.

Every object on low orbit should feel zero gravity or near zero gravity for all the gravity serves as centripetal force, unless you are hovering against the rotation of the planet, or the ship is self-rotating.

343i am disappointed.

Quoting myself for the new page, hopefully 343i would patch this, like making the whole ship of Adrift looks like it is entering the atmosphere.

Winning haikus:

Bregmann Roche
Graveyard at top gold
They never go up the ramp
I remember you Construct

Codes to be sent once i get the green light.

What dark magic is this? Turns out I had cliced the (+) last night but never got around to replying :p

-----

In other news, what if 343 are saving other aesthetics for the map packs?

Map Pack #1 - Covenant Theme
Map Pack #2 - Earth/UNSC Theme
Map Pack #3 - Remake Edition

FyreWulff

Even without sprint, Halo maps have gotten bigger. It's just the nature of needing them to be bigger to support higher player counts for online and support more modes, and it results in better spawning options if there's more space to put spawns in. Add in more powerful vehicles, player options and modes and the map sizes will naturally inflate.

Versus Halo 1, which was centered around splitscreen play so the maps never needed to be that big. IMO Halo 1 was the only Halo that played well in splitscreen-only multi. Halo 2 was a chore for anything not Foundation, Lockout, Beaver Creek or Midship in the shipping selection, and Halo 3 and Reach are pretty meh for splitscreen-only play.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Quoting myself for the new page, hopefully 343i would patch this, like making the whole ship of Adrift looks like it is entering the atmosphere.

Um...

We have artificial gravity on every single ship ever shown in the games, including the Pelican. I would be more concerned with how we conquered C.

Traveling atbeyond the speed of light is far less trivial than gravity or even real fields tech.

i think the last map will probably be small sized. i hope it's an arena style covenant themed map. would be the perfect way to round out the map selection.

unfortunately that means no mammoth map. unless of course one of the forge environments is a big flat desert map with a forgeable mammoth on it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
why didn't ign just upload gameplay videos? these fly-throughs are fucking boring

I enjoy the relaxed tour with developer commentary. You'll be getting a billion videos of boring matches when the game releases, we'll probably not get much official developer stuff like this again.

Shadders

why didn't ign just upload gameplay videos? these fly-throughs are fucking boring

I like them, they're a bit over-long, but I like the way they give us the back story and some of their thought processes behind choosing the map and its key features.

Obviously gameplay is more exciting, maybe it should have an even split between slow talky talky and balls-out action.

senador

Banned

Probably because the agreement was for walkthroughs. I like them, they give nice insight into the map making process and we are learning things we may never have at all if they didn't do them. It's also much easier to get a better idea of the layout and such than would have been possible through gameplay.

I'm getting a really good sense from these videos that they really took extra care to make sure there are lots of route and that one armor ability isn't necessarily dominant.

Havok

If IGN had just uploaded gameplay videos they'd probably be journalist v. journalist, and nobody in the world wants to watch 10 minutes of AR spray. I just wish IGN Guy would take it easy with the jokes, Kynan's reactions are maybe the most awkward things ever.

TheOddOne

If IGN had just uploaded gameplay videos they'd probably be journalist v. journalist, and nobody in the world wants to watch 10 minutes of AR spray. I just wish IGN Guy would take it easy with the jokes, Kynan's reactions are maybe the most awkward things ever.
Yeah, Kynan is nice through it all though. Good sport.

feel

Shadders are you uploading the other ones too?

I enjoy the relaxed tour with developer commentary. You'll be getting a billion videos of boring matches when the game releases, we'll probably not get much official developer stuff like this again.
I'm really enjoying them.

Top Bottom