• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Overdoziz

Banned
Another thing that bothers me about AA's.

They have to make a map thinking about all of them instead of just making a good map.

Not saying this is a bad map though, looks quite interesting.
Meh, the map still looks like it could easily be negatively impacted by the jetpack. Flying up to the top of either of the structures from anywhere you want from around said structures still sounds very bad in my ears opinion.

Has anyone that's played it had a problem with the maze-like look in some of the maps? There seem to be many channels and corridors- I haven't seen anyone endlessly chasing, but I am not sure if that's a function of these expo-type gameplays where everyone just wants to fire guns.

Abandon isn't too bad. It only took a few walkthroughs of it to learn its layout.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Another thing that bothers me about AA's.

They have to make a map thinking about all of them instead of just making a good map.

Not saying this is a bad map though, looks quite interesting.

Guess what? We think about weapons and vehicles as well when making maps.

Meh, the map still looks like it could easily be negatively impacted by the jetpack. Flying up to the top of either of the structures from anywhere you want from around said structures still sounds very bad in my ears.
If the Chopper and pro-pipe are any indication we should just say we like jetpack from now on to ensure it gets removed for 5.

Shadders

Anyone from the UK have any luck with The Thursday War? Amazon hasn't dispatched yet - and I have never had much luck in store for halo books.

I ordered from Amazon and Book Depository, neither delivered. Just went to Borders, but apparently it shut about three years ago. :/

Abandon looks like someone took High Ground, mirrored it longitudinally, and then turned what was left into a hybrid of The Pit and Ghost Town.

Looks like a really fun map that should fit a lot of gametypes, both symmetrical and asymmetrical.

Raide

IGN Flood Mode

already posted? Shoutouts to Semmy W for showing it to me.

Damn. Lighting alone makes Halo 4 looks awesome. Such a simple change makes it looks so much better.

One Forge Option I would love for Halo 5 is being able to build the map in my set blank environment and then choose options to reskin and fill the map with things. Watching the above footage of an aged and grassy place, made me think it would be way more interesting to make my map and tell Forge to just make it look old, or make it overgrown or add snow elements to it.

Something to think on 343i!

GhaleonEB

IGN Flood Mode

Franklin said they can tweak armor abilities on the back end on a per-playlist basis. So Flood can get modified AA's (such as the thruster pack that rockets them across the map).

Which is freaking awesome. Even greater flexibility than I was expecting.

I'll update the OP in a bit to start collecting the IGN commentary videos.

IGN Flood Mode

AHHH!!!! HE SAID ALL THE ARMOR ABILITIES CAN BE TUNED INDIVIDUALLY!!!

I REALLY hope this is a possibility in custom game options. Being able to tweak how long camo lasts, or the power of thruster pack, or the amount of jetpack, etc would be intense!!! So excited. Hopefully this isn't just an option for 343i. Pretty pretty please.

Franklin said they can tweak armor abilities on the back end on a per-playlist basis. So Flood can get modified AA's (such as the thruster pack that rockets them across the map).

That is actually really cool. Anything that can tweak balance without requiring patches is good to hear, as things like AAs rarely work out perfectly from the start.

Woorloog

Banned
Love how Abandon looks. Excellent visuals, i love the Backwash vibe in it. Backwash one of the best maps in Halo 2 visually, IMO. Atmospheric.
I reckon BR+AR/Storm Rifle would be useful on that map.

GhaleonEB

I REALLY hope this is a possibility in custom game options. Being able to tweak how long camo lasts, or the power of thruster pack, or the amount of jetpack, etc would be intense!!! So excited. Hopefully this isn't just an option for 343i. Pretty pretty please.

He specified that they could be adjusted when tuning the hoppers. Not sure what that means for custom game options. From a playlist management perspective alone, that's fantastic since different modes might require different tweaks (such as Flood).

This is the first time I've done this but I think I'm done following Halo 4 news till the game comes out. I want to be a little surprised and this just makes the wait seem longer.

Guess what? We think about weapons and vehicles as well when making maps.
The difference is that each map must be designed with every AA in mind, but it doesn't have to be designed with every weapon and vehicle in mind. I don't think Abandon was designed with the scorpion or banshee in mind. Subtle, but important.

Me too, but don't get your hopes up.

No wai!

Certainly you agree the "weight" those components have is different than the one AA's have in terms of map flow, no?

And now combine trying to balance map flow not only with AAs but ordinance drops..... as opposed to set weapon placement throughout a map. Should be interesting.

That would be fantastic, but in all likelihood they're just new Megalo hooks. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Awesome news, either way.

raindoc

Baby Prophets?

If someone has the actual answer, please spoiler tag it and SAY you have the actual answer, especially if it's significant to the campaign plot.

maybe not the DEFINITE answer (but the one given in the IGN video):
according to pearson in the vid they are native specimen captured by the science team.
i'm thinking they're just decoration but i'm hoping for another visit to this planet in Spartan Ops, featuring wildlife.

Karl2177

I'll update the OP in a bit to start collecting the IGN commentary videos.

Ehhh... It's okay, I guess. Better than 3? Yep. Better than Reach? Only a little bit. I have a feeling that if they wanted to add Megalo hooks to the AAs, they could have. It just seems like 343 knew it could potentially be an issue, so they added them in development instead of thinking of it post-release. I'm still for individual object modifiers in Forge and Settings.

GhaleonEB

That would be fantastic, but in all likelihood they're just new Megalo hooks. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Yes, the context was clearly about updating the hoppers. Which is a pretty big deal from a flexibility standpoint; I suspect they can similarly update the armor mods as well. Re-balancing should be part of playlist updates now, rather than patches.

Two other tidbits from the video:

The game mode checks for how often you've been spawned as Flood vs. Spartan, so players get an even distribution of opportunities to start as Flood.

"Floodsasination". Do want.

Still bummed the Flood "arm" is just a reskinned sword. But the mode looks like a lot of fun, more so than Reach (which I didn't care for).

I gotta say, despite my gripes with sound or looks of some weapons in Halo 4, the shotgun came out perfectly. I think it's the best looking and sounding one in the entire series, looks so great to use.

I know. :( But I can dream. lol...

Also they said they track how often you are the flood and they balance it out. That is awesome... also 6 maps in the playlist and they are currently testing forge variants for the playlist as well.

senador

Banned
IGN Flood Mode

Alright, I wasn't big on Solace at first but I now think its my favorite map. Seeing how it looks in a higer quality video definitely helped. Looks really great visually and from a gameplay perspective.

I think I'll play some Flood to get some more shotgun playtime in.

I don't think its Forge pieces. Watch again as they go through the interiors and top portions. Too much going on with too much detail to be Forge pieces IMO.
Eh, the new Forge pieces did seem to be pretty detailed, and the structures on this map did not seem to have nearly as much detail as other maps, nor did they blend in as much.

IGN Flood Mode

Solace looks AMAZING. Visually and layout wise. Im also really liking the tweaks in Flood mode..The sound they make is creepy as hell.

LMfGb.jpg

So awesome.

Abandon has a pretty unique look for the series. Love the gnarled trees with purple fungus (?). It's like Backwash and Guardian had an illegitimate child.

GhaleonEB

so infection is a launch playlist. :/ kind of nervous theres going to be way too many playlists at launch.

They have not announced many. There are fewer game types to have to build in, so it sounds like we might get playlist devoted to them (Regicide for FFA, Flood, CTF, etc.) rather than mixed bags. And going that route when you have 6-7 game types won't get too messy, even with few that cover different team sizes.

We'll see. I'm guessing not too many more than a dozen.

Top Bottom