• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach 1st DLC Announced - Noble Map Pack - 11/30/2010

Hixx

Arpharmd B said:
Halo Reach maps = 3.33$ a piece. Gaf is silent.

Call of Duty maps = 3.00$ a piece. Gaf goes apeshit.

Aren't 2 of the maps in each of those CoD packs just ported over to MW2 from MW1 though?

I don't want anymore Firefight maps; that mode doesn't have the legs of Multiplayer and there's still a few Firefight maps that aren't in the playlists yet (Glacier, isn't there another?). Firefight will get a shot in the arm with Versus and those maps going into matchmaking.

No more firefight maps, please.

2 more DLC packs of 3 maps with one being a Forge Variant, though, will do nicely. That'll give us nine extra competitive maps and break up the monotony.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Arpharmd B said:

I'm sure the reason Gaf goes crazy over COD DLC pricing, is because they get a new game each year and then they're expected to buy DLC on top of that.

I really hoped the maps would somehow work in FF, that or include FF friendly variants. :(

As for achievements, I'm not sure it's any kind of good news to have more MP achievements, these tend to bring out the worst in people. The original game got that right: stay away from MP achievements as much as possible.

Hawt. Day one purchase, blind buy, firesale, insert-favorite-sale-phrase-here.

The fact that it's only three maps doesn't bother me. In a Weekly Update I'm pretty sure Bungie alluded to the fact we'd be getting some Forge maps injected into the map cycle rotation, as well.

I am loving how Tempest offers a new Forge pallette. Hopefully players will be able to mix and match pieces between Forge World and Tempest.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Arpharmd B said:

I probably would have preferred 3 new and 2 old maps for 1200 MSP like CoD does, simply to beef up the map count.

At some point down the line this map pack will be on offer so just wait it out, 400 allards sounds good to me.

Back when lost planet 1 had map packs coming out they were only 400 msp each, I bought them all because I find it a great and cheap price, no second thoughts.

HixxSAFC said:
Aren't 2 of the maps in each of those CoD packs just ported over to MW2 from MW1 though?
mw2 almost was released with 16 maps (none of them cheap forge-style maps either) in which almost all the maps played in every mode. It took halo 3 2 or 3 map packs + release maps to reach that amount. I never bought the map packs for mw2. Why? Well, 1 because they're too expensive and 2. because 16 maps is already hell of a lot of maps.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No Turf remake
No Enlongation/Longest remake.

BUNGIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *shakes fist/cancels purchase of Reach until one of these [NAMELY TURF] happens*

Mr Spliff said:
$10 for 3 maps, I guess thats standard now. Will most likely get it as I'm loving Reach so far, will support.
Where have you been? It's been 800 MS points since the first map pack of Halo 3...even all the way back to Halo 2, I think.

V_Arnold

Genesis Knight said:
I don't want anymore Firefight maps; that mode doesn't have the legs of Multiplayer and there's still a few Firefight maps that aren't in the playlists yet (Glacier, isn't there another?). Firefight will get a shot in the arm with Versus and those maps going into matchmaking.

2 more DLC packs of 3 maps with one being a Forge Variant, though, will do nicely. That'll give us nine extra competitive maps and break up the monotony.

Uhm...firefight is awesome, I do not know what the hell you are talking about :p

Hugbot

Oh, yes, please. The pricing is steep for just three maps, I was pulling for 3 + a firefight. Getting more maps into the rotation is a pretty important thing right now, though, so I'd rather have this ASAP.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
TheSeks said:
No Turf remake
No Enlongation/Longest remake.

BUNGIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *shakes fist/cancels purchase of Reach until one of these [NAMELY TURF] happens*
I second this motion, although it needs more Terminal and Headlong.

Honestly I was hoping for 3 smaller maps dedicated to slayer/objective games. Big team battle and invasion are fun, but the balance always seems off and at least a few people out of those 16 always quit. There are 11 current maps of the smaller variety, yes, but some of them are meh-tastic and almost half of them are from forge world. How could Bungie get the gameplay so on-point for this game, but get map content ever-so-wrong? With that said: bought.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Plywood said:
I second this motion, although it needs more Terminal and Headlong.

Ooh, I'd do filthy things for a Terminal port/remake. And of course, let's get Lockout (NOT BLACKOUT) back too...

The proper number of maps is always n+1, and the proper release date is always x-1 (where n represents the number of maps, and y represents the current release date).

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
If I don't buy these maps will I be locked out of matchmaking like in Halo 3?

If so, I might as well sell my copy of Reach now.

spanks

Speaking of CoD, why don't they throw in a couple Halo 3 maps? Don't even change anything, just copy-paste. Sandtrap + Last Resort would pretty much double the BTB maps.
please

DMeisterJ

Banned
Cerrius said:

I don't recall ever being 'locked out of matchmaking' in Halo 3... Bungie just put the DLC into a DLC playlist, and then integrated it to the regular playlists when it became free, iirc.

I was really excited for REach DLC, but the only mode I play is team slayer, and it looks like only one of these maps is for that. I think I will wait for impressions before picking this up. Adding achievements does nothing for me since I cant 100% Reach due to the if they came to hear me beg achievement being broken and Bungie being unwilling to fix it.

feel

Cerrius said:

I have a feeling Matchmaking will handle this way more seamlessly this time.

Have the chievos been leaked? There weren't to many mulitplayer achievements in Reach, so i'm curious how much they tie into these new maps. I hope they don't add stuff like maxing your characters rank out. Which only a hand full of people will ever get. Loving the new maps though. Tempest looks like something i played in Halo PC and is the one i'm most looking forward to.

spanks said:
Speaking of CoD, why don't they throw in a couple Halo 3 maps? Don't even change anything, just copy-paste. Sandtrap + Last Resort would pretty much double the BTB maps.
please

I think because the engine differences between H3-> Reach are pretty tremendous compared to MW-> MW2. They could port the initial geometry, but would need to totally re-work a lot of jumps, spawning, and I have no idea if the elephant would even be possible with Reach.

Arnie

cjelly said:
No, they don't.
The Heroic map pack did become free for Halo 3 roughly half a year after launch. Can't remember if the Legendary did though, Mythic definitely didn't.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
great news, tempest especially looks awesome. hopefully we'll see the return of vehicles in a halo reach 4 v 4 map

Genesis Knight said:

Bungie don't listen to this man, he's crazy. And no, there's only that one map- Glacier- not currently in the playlists.

cjelly said:
No, they don't.
Except for that one time.

Arnie said:
The Heroic map pack did become free for Halo 3 roughly half a year after launch. Can't remember if the Legendary did though, Mythic definitely didn't.

I think Legendary got a sale to 600 points(that's when I bought it), I don't think it ever went free, but it might have had a permanent price drop later on.

I will wait for some sort of bundle/special offer on the maps. 3 maps for 800 points just isn't great value to me.

feel

Don't count on it ever becoming free unless they specifically say so at launch, like in the past.

I hope at least one of the two btb maps works very well both in 8v8 and 4v4, like Valhalla (and not just for snipers). I'd like more than 1 fresh new addition to the TS and Objective playlists when I purchase this.

Fantastic, I normally hate the idea of map packs but Reach being so anemic with maps and the lack of Fan Made Forge maps in Match making is a perfect storm of shit that leaves the game needing these new maps.

kilongs

Arnie said:

Ah ok i guess that explains it. I have one or two map packs for halo 3 that i know i didnt pay for.

Arnie

kilongs said:
Ah ok i guess that explains it. I have one or two map packs for halo 3 that i know i didnt pay for.
Yeah chances are you have the Heroic map pack and the Cold Strorage Bungie Day 08 map, both of which were free.

Top Bottom