• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach 1st DLC Announced - Noble Map Pack - 11/30/2010

GhaleonEB

More than anything, the playlists need BTB and Invasion maps, as the current set are spread far too thin, so I'm glad to see the 2-1 split in that direction. Another map with a huge Forge palette is something I was hoping for, but didn't expect in the first DLC pack. Nice!

Lothars

GhaleonEB said:
More than anything, the playlists need BTB and Invasion maps, as the current set are spread far too thin, so I'm glad to see the 2-1 split in that direction. Another map with a huge Forge palette is something I was hoping for, but didn't expect in the first DLC pack. Nice!

Agreed, it's a nice thing to see

I will be picking these up day one.

equil

The maps are looking nice.
I wonder if this achievement is going to be on a vidmaster type of difficulty.
I mean its a lot of gamerscore for one achievement.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
new BTB maps is always good news, but TF2 has spoiled me. Paying for this stuff seems like a complete rip off.

equil said:
The maps are looking nice.
I wonder if this achievement is going to be on a vidmaster type of difficulty.
I mean its a lot of gamerscore for one achievement.

Achievements. Plural.

JdFoX187

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
Aren't 2 of the maps in each of those CoD packs just ported over to MW2 from MW1 though?
The Legendary Map Pack featured two half-assed remakes and one decent new map. Going by that logic, if remakes don't count, that means Bungie released one map for $10.

These look great, was hoping for a new Forge World -- possibly human-themed. But glad to see BTB is getting some love.

equil

thetrin said:
new BTB maps is always good news, but TF2 has spoiled me. Paying for this stuff seems like a complete rip off.

Achievements. Plural.

Oh wow i misread the "S" :lol

But its even better now.

Well at least we'll get some new maps to play so I'll pay. There just aren't enough in Reach which is a damn shame because it's my favorite Halo. So glad they aren't making forge world maps for pay. All Forge World maps should they ever make new ones should be free. I would probably pass on those if they are for pay.

Seems a little soon though. Would rather them come out sometime in January.

DevelopmentArrested said:
too little too late everyone will be playing black ops by then
MW2 was strong yet thousands still played halo 3.

First reach dlc should have been cheaper or free imo, the game really lacks maps as default and what makes it worse is that some of the reach maps are just average to bad compared to a lot of the halo 2 and 3 maps we have had over the years.

JdFoX187

Banned
VGChampion said:
Well at least we'll get some new maps to play so I'll pay. There just aren't enough in Reach which is a damn shame because it's my favorite Halo. So glad they aren't making forge world maps for pay. All Forge World maps should they ever make new ones should be free. I would probably pass on those if they are for pay.

Seems a little soon though. Would rather them come out sometime in January.
Does not compute. There aren't enough maps right now, but you'd rather Bungie sat on these for a couple more months?

JdFoX187 said:
The Legendary Map Pack featured two half-assed remakes and one decent new map. Going by that logic, if remakes don't count, that means Bungie released one map for $10.

These look great, was hoping for a new Forge World -- possibly human-themed. But glad to see BTB is getting some love.

Avalanche wasn't really a remake at all. Inspired by, or re-imagiging maybe. And it certainly wasn't half assed.

There's kind of a difference of perspective here. From what I saw, IW's new maps are pretty strait ports, no re-works of texturing, no changes for how the gameplay has changed etc. The overall effort necessary to create that kind of map is pretty low. Whereas something like blackout requires new textures, totally new modeling for the background/skyboxes, and bungie made some changes to the map based on differences between H2-> H3. Even if you don't agree with the changes, the inputs that bungie put into it our signifigantly larger than a quick tidy up and running the geometry through a new tool to create a new map.

But from your perspective you just see remakes, which is pretty understandable, and probably points to a problem more in the model of lovingly crafted developer remakes over quick port jobs.

Neuromancer said:
Bungie don't listen to this man, he's crazy. And no, there's only that one map- Glacier- not currently in the playlists.

There's something like 8 fantastic firefight maps already and you want more of them, when matchmaking maps are as hobbled as they are? You're insane.

Tempest looks very similar in setting to Forge World. I hope the pallette is a change but so far all I see is more Forerunner architecture on 'familiar' terrain textures... albeit with more sand.

Prove me wrong urk, please.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Breakpoint has the potential to be the Sidewinder/Avalanche replacement of my dreams. Make it so, Bungie.

Genesis Knight said:
There's something like 8 fantastic firefight maps already and you want more of them, when matchmaking maps are as hobbled as they are? You're insane.
There are 8 including Glacier, but that hasn't been in playlists so it doesn't really count yet. But I wouldn't say all 8 are fantastic. I don't care much for Waterfront or Corvette.

Anyway you're going to have to get used to the fact that some people play and enjoy firefight more than regular matchmaking and want more maps for it.

GhaleonEB

Genesis Knight said:
Agree. Firefight supports a max of four players, and has eight maps devoted to it. Multiplayer has 12 game types (plus variants), with team sizes from four to sixteen. It needs asymmetric, symmetric, BTB, Invasion, 4v4 arena, etc, and it also got eight maps (plus Forge World variants). Right now the multiplayer maps are spread very thin, especially in the BTB and Invasion space. Sketch has hinted that new Firefight maps might be coming as well, but getting new MP maps online should (and appears to be) Bungie's first priority.

I need to know what the achievements are.

They better not be "Reach x rank." or "Purchase Armory Item that requires a x rank".

Speaking of Armory, do you think they will be including additional Armory items in this map pack? Is this something that Bungie plans to do, if not in this map pack, but future map packs.

Bungie.net Forgetacular Contest said:
With the imminent release of the Noble Team Map Pack our job is wrapping up but yours has only just begun.
Bungie Forgetacular Article

Does anyone find the wording on that part a little strange? Is Bungie handing over the continued map pack development to 343i? Maybe I am reading into it too much, but it definitely caught my eye.

Imperial Hot said:
Does anyone find the wording on that part a little strange? Is Bungie handing over the continued map pack development to 343i? Maybe I am reading into it too much, but it definitely caught my eye.
I'm hoping they just mean wrapping up work on that map pack.

Jex

Salz01 said:
I personally think thats pricey for a 'map pack'. Its just three maps, and some achievements. It should be like 5 bucks. Full games that offer more, are normally 15 bucks. I'll wait till they release them all at once for half off.
What? It's been like that since Halo 2, they have no need to cut the price since obviously they sell very well.

In fact, like Activison, they could probably bring the price up and slap in another map.

Awesome news <3. Too bad that the Forge competition is america only. I hope Bungie/343i/Microsoft is planning sth. for Europe.

The maps looks so nice. :)

Neuromancer said:
Yeah, I was hoping that's what they meant but it seems like they are passing the map development torch onto the community.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't want all the new maps after this to be forge maps. Forge is cool, but the palette of Forerunner objects can get very tiresome after awhile. I really do admire the art that goes into the multiplayer maps that Bungie makes. I loved Cold Storage for it's aesthetic, despite it being kind of lack-luster gameplay wise.

EDIT: On another note, I am pretty happy that Bungie has been able to stay at the 800MSP price point for the map packs. The pricing on DLC has begun to get out of hand recently, especially now that the default price for Arcade games seems to be 1200MSP. I really hope that the Dead Rising: Case Zero sets a new trend for pricing your download content lower.

Neuromancer said:
I bet we'll see one more Bungie produced map pack, then they'll hand the reigns over to 343i. We've all known this was coming.

I'm also thinking that the level cap will be lifted with the Noble maps and new armory unlockables will be added. Maybe we'll see some new Waypoint armor unlockables tied to the new achievements. At least I hope so. Now I need to get up to LT Colonel grade 3 by 11/30...

Chrange

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
Halo Reach maps = 3.33$ a piece. Gaf is silent.

Call of Duty maps = 3.00$ a piece. Gaf goes apeshit.

I think $10 for three maps is too much, but Halo Reach - all new maps. Call of Duty - two recycled maps bring the average price down.

Alienshogun said:
Really disappointed, expected more, especially with how "poor" map quality, and selection are in the game right now.

You're defending Medal of Honor to the death and say Reach doesn't have enough maps? :lol

scarybore

I'm not the biggest fan of Reach's quantity or quality of maps so I can only hope these new maps are much, much better. Paradiso is one of the worst maps I have ever played and it boggles my mind that it gets voted for so often.

Apath

I'm not buying anything until there is a guarantee they will be used in the play lists. I don't want another repeat of Halo 3 where it's either ostracize the people who have yet to purchase the DLC or burn the people who did because it's only available in 1-2 play lists.

metareferential said:
Guess you missed MW2's map packs.
1200 for 5?

LQX

Don't see how anyone can be happy over three maps or DLC so soon to be honest. One of the reasons I left Halo 3 is because the DLC kept coming(I suppose many saw that as good) and eventually broke the game for those that did not buy the map packs.

Raide

dralla said:
Considering how horrible the Reach maps are, will not buy

At least it is 3 new maps and not just 3 Forge Remakes. More places to Forge in is great in my Booksm since the Forge community have more stuff to play with!

AnimatorZombie

Neo Member
Should have been free. The re-using of maps between campaign and multiplayer in Halo is awful. I couldn't believe it when
the last fucking stage was that shitty invasion map we'd been playing since beta

Kenak said:
I'm not buying anything until there is a guarantee they will be used in the play lists. I don't want another repeat of Halo 3 where it's either ostracize the people who have yet to purchase the DLC or burn the people who did because it's only available in 1-2 play lists.

1200 for 5?
Although I'll download on 11/30, I share your worry. In Halo 3 it was a huge bummer to have these awesome new maps and barely any playlist support to play them.

I don't enjoy CoD's multiplayer in the slightest, so could anyone shed some light on how they implement their new maps into their matchmaking routine?

Geoff9920

Reluctant-Hero said:
Although I'll download on 11/30, I share your worry. In Halo 3 it was a huge bummer to have these awesome new maps and barely any playlist support to play them.

I don't enjoy CoD's multiplayer in the slightest, so could anyone shed some light on how they implement their new maps into their matchmaking routine?
Matchmaking in CoD is bit different when it comes to DLC. Normally they get their own special playlist or two for the first couple days. After they're integrated into the normal playlists, if you're in a party and one person doesn't have the DLC the new maps simply won't show up. Beyond that everyone can still play together on the same playlist. Meaning there isn't separate Team Deathmatch playlist for people who don't own the DLC.

Since I play with friends who will never buy DLC, my purchase depends upon how easy it is to play with *all* of my friends, whether they have the DLC or not.

If Reach integrates DLC into matchmaking the same way Halo 3 did, then my time with Reach will be pretty short.

Neuromancer said:
There are 8 including Glacier, but that hasn't been in playlists so it doesn't really count yet. But I wouldn't say all 8 are fantastic. I don't care much for Waterfront or Corvette.

Anyway you're going to have to get used to the fact that some people play and enjoy firefight more than regular matchmaking and want more maps for it.

What?!?

That is seriously the best Firefight map in the game. Sniperfight on that is glorious.

AnimatorZombie said:
Should have been free. The re-using of maps between campaign and multiplayer in Halo is awful. I couldn't believe it when
the last fucking stage was that shitty invasion map we'd been playing since beta

You mean the one rather small part of that level? When Bungie had been saying multiplayer spaces would be integrated into the campaign almost from the start?

Top Bottom