• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach 1st DLC Announced - Noble Map Pack - 11/30/2010

SuperBonk

I honestly can't believe people are excited to pay $10 for 3 maps.

Anyway, I can't wait to be locked out of matchmaking playlists again for supporting Bungie.

ElRenoRaven

While this is way overpriced I'm feeling good. I have 400 points via my Bing Bar stuff so for me it's only going to cost me 400 points or less depending on how many more of my orders come in. lol

ElRenoRaven

DancingJesus said:
If the Elites are smart, all they gotta do is pick the sword loadout and the Spartans can never even touch the core.

Shotgun says otherwise. Shotgun almost always wins vs sword.

SuperBonk said:
I honestly can't believe people are excited to pay $10 for 3 maps.

Anyway, I can't wait to be locked out of matchmaking playlists again for supporting Bungie.

Where have you been?

Every map pack from Bungie for the past 3 years has been 800 points.

This shouldn't be surprising. Why would they change it now when the Heroic, Legendary and Mythic packs were highly successful following this model?

Wizman23

Banned
The cycle of "Bitching Gaf" continues. What the fuck did you guys expect the price to be when every single Halo 3 map pack was 800 points? You guys act like these map packs cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Wizman23 said:
The cycle of "Bitching Gaf" continues. What the fuck did you guys expect the price to be when every single Halo 3 map pack was 800 points? You guys act like these map packs cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars.
It's all the people that don't normally play Halo and only find enjoyment in life when they are complaining about stuff.

Zeal

Banned
Freaking love Big Team Battle with a little CTF on Hemorrhage and Paradiso. This is where Halo truly shines.

Will pay.

ultron87

The thought of more crazy vehicle shenanigans on these big maps makes me ever so happy. That's my favorite variety of Halo.

JesseZao

This game needs more 4v4. That is where it will live or die. BTB maps as a secondary focus, then invasion, then firefight.

rObit

Banned
Hell yeah. All those maps look gorgeous, can't wait to inject some more interesting environments into the current formula of halfish cool environments, haflish forge world. Forerunner grey really bugs me stuck against lush greens and blues.

Wizman23 said:
I don't think anyone who plays Halo regularly is complaining. We'll get out money's worth.

SuperBonk

DancingJesus said:
Where have you been?

Every map pack from Bungie for the past 3 years has been 800 points.

This shouldn't be surprising. Why would they change it now when the Heroic, Legendary and Mythic packs were highly successful following this model?
The only thing I'm surprised at is the sheer fervor people purchase these map packs with. How am I not justified in being annoyed with it? It's like paying for Xbox Live Gold with a huge smile on your face.

Don't lecture me on Halo DLC. I was there for Halo 2 where I never bought a single map pack and ended up getting them all free. I was there for Halo 3 when I was locked out of playlists because I didn't even want any of the new maps. The fact that Microsoft actually REMOVED content from a game I paid full price because I would not pay them even more was incredibly frustrating and I'm surprised it doesn't get much attention.

And now, it looks like we're headed down the same road. Hopefully they release something like ODST so I can get back access to the playlists later on. Until then, I guess I'll be one of the few that still supports Bungie.

EDIT: I suppose I should clarify a little further. If the free market dictates that a significant number of people will pay 800 points for map packs, that's fine. You can enjoy your map packs and I can enjoy not having them. But I at least expect the decency to allow me access to the multiplayer features I already paid for.

JesseZao said:
BTB maps as a secondary focus, then invasion, then firefight.

Not for Bungie, it seems.

But don't worry, MLG playlists will eventually be available, stripping everything from the game to make it play exactly like Halo 2. :p

MMaRsu

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
too little too late everyone will be playing black ops by then

Black ops :lol :lol

i'll be buying this when it comes out :)

LQX said:
Don't see how anyone can be happy over three maps or DLC so soon to be honest. One of the reasons I left Halo 3 is because the DLC kept coming(I suppose many saw that as good) and eventually broke the game for those that did not buy the map packs.

because the maps in Halo 3 are shit ( mostly ).

JesseZao

metareferential said:
Not for Bungie, it seems.

But don't worry, MLG playlists will eventually be available, stripping everything from the game to make it play exactly like Halo 2. :p

Heh. Don't get me wrong, firefight and invasion are fun, but they aren't what I want to keep playing halo for. Once Firefight Vs. releases I'll be all gung ho for that though.

I loved BTB maps in Halo 2, but the meat is 4v4.

SuperBonk said:
EDIT: I suppose I should clarify a little further. If the free market dictates that a significant number of people will pay 800 points for map packs, that's fine. You can enjoy your map packs and I can enjoy not having them. But I at least expect the decency to allow me access to the multiplayer features I already paid for.
This is the make or break aspect of the DLC for me too.

IF playlists get locked, or hassles are put in the way of playing with friends who may or may not have the DLC then I'm just done with Halo. Releasing DLC that locks out playlists actually reduces the value of the game.

Now IF matchmaking only finds matches that use maps that ALL players in the party have, than I'll dance a happy jig and surrender my soul to Halo ;P

NullPointer said:

IF playlists get locked, or hassles are put in the way of playing with friends who may or may not have the DLC then I'm just done with Halo. Releasing DLC that locks out playlists actually reduces the value of the game.

Now IF matchmaking only finds matches that use maps that ALL players in the party have, than I'll dance a happy jig and surrender my soul to Halo ;P

Usually they have a playlist for the new maps specifically. (IE: Team Mythic Playlist). But who knows how they'll handle it this go around.

Hopefully these will be later reduced to free much like the Heroic map pack was for H3.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
JesseZao said:
This game needs more 4v4. That is where it will live or die. BTB maps as a secondary focus, then invasion, then firefight.

agreed. but i will add that 4v4 needs some vehicle lovin and fast.

and on the topic of new firefight maps (not that i'm clamoring for them), why not give us more play spaces from the campaign as cheap or free dlc? there are plenty of awesome playspaces that would be terrific for firefight and would be quick, i assume, to incorporate.

JesseZao said:
Heh. Don't get me wrong, firefight and invasion are fun, but they aren't what I want to keep playing halo for. Once Firefight Vs. releases I'll be all gung ho for that though.

I loved BTB maps in Halo 2, but the meat is 4v4.

Yes, I was just joking.

Halo Reach multiplayer is far from complete, as far as offer goes: campaign matchmaking, firefight versus, new playlists (team sniper, action sack, grifball, mlg), etc.

That and the new DLC should really bring it to another level.

But I agree that 4vs4 slayer maps are on the short side. But it is also true that the modes that needed new maps right now are Invasion and BTB.

Hugbot

NullPointer said:

On the other hand, without a "new maps" playlist the number of times every player in the game will have one of the DLC maps is going to be relatively low - especially in BTB and Invasion - and it could discourage people from buying it.

Hugbot said:
On the other hand, without a "new maps" playlist the number of times every player in the game will have one of the DLC maps is going to be relatively low - especially in BTB and Invasion - and it could discourage people from buying it.
A "new maps" playlist is fine, and seems the way to go at first. I'm more worried about what happens when these maps get integrated back into the standard playlists.

If the playlists require the DLC, that effectively locks my party out of that playlist and gimps the game I paid full price for. I hope matchmaking can incorporate DLC maps into standard playlists without screwing players like me in the process, that's all.

I'll gladly give em my $10 for these maps if they don't restrict my party (which will have a mixture of players who bought the DLC and those who didn't) from standard playlists.

Hugbot

NullPointer said:
A "new maps" playlist is fine, and seems the way to go at first. I'm more worried about what happens when these maps get integrated back into the standard playlists.

If the playlists require the DLC, that effectively locks my party out of that playlist and gimps the game I paid full price for. I hope matchmaking can incorporate DLC maps into standard playlists without screwing players like me in the process, that's all.

I'll gladly give em my $10 for these maps if they don't restrict my party (which will have a mixture of players who bought the DLC and those who didn't) from standard playlists.
Ok, I get what you're saying now. Yeah, I'd definitely be concerned with how they'll handle integrating the new maps into existing playlists, given how it's happened in the past. I'd like for them to go based on what the entire party has and give some preference to putting people with others who do/don't have it, but we'll see.

panda21

breakpoint looks sweet

and i think i see a falcon there :D

how have they dealth with DLC maps in the past? the voting is annoying enough as it is at the moment, i dont want to buy them and then never get to play them

NullPointer said:

This discussion happens every time DLC comes up. It sucks both ways. Players without the DLC don't want to be locked out of playlists, and players with DLC want to actually use what they payed a premium for.

SuperBonk said:
The only thing I'm surprised at is the sheer fervor people purchase these map packs with. How am I not justified in being annoyed with it? It's like paying for Xbox Live Gold with a huge smile on your face.

Don't lecture me on Halo DLC. I was there for Halo 2 where I never bought a single map pack and ended up getting them all free. I was there for Halo 3 when I was locked out of playlists because I didn't even want any of the new maps. The fact that Microsoft actually REMOVED content from a game I paid full price because I would not pay them even more was incredibly frustrating and I'm surprised it doesn't get much attention.

And now, it looks like we're headed down the same road. Hopefully they release something like ODST so I can get back access to the playlists later on. Until then, I guess I'll be one of the few that still supports Bungie.

Since the day Halo 3 came out, you AT MINIMUM had access to

-Lone Wolves
-Social Slayer
-Social Objective
-Squad Battle

And I believe there was another. You've got your FFA, your team games, and your larger team games.

Here is the weekly update with the big changes:
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=19773

I can't remember what the fifth playlist was but it is plain to see that not all of them went Mythic-only. You also had the benefit of playing on the 3 free Heroic maps and Cold Storage, and the playlist Squad Battle, none of which existed when you paid for the game.

So you had to give up Team Snipers/SWAT, and 8v8 play. But you got four free maps and 6v6 play that you didn't have at launch. That doesn't seem so cataclysmic.

Compare that to now where almost none of the playlists in H3 require Mythic and the maps I paid for come up so rarely that they might as well not exist.

Hugbot said:

This is the problem, for all you people complaining about getting locked out of playlists.

Without playlists that require the DLC, those of us who bought it will get to play on it very rarely. I know it sucks to get locked out of playlists because you want to play with people who didn't buy it, but there's no other solution that I can see.

If I recall, Halo 3 tried to keep at least 50% of the playlists open to non-DLC-purchasers, at least until ODST came out. I think that's a reasonable bar to set, but those 50% cuts have to come in awkward places without having 20 separate playlists. We'll see how it shakes out.

[edit] beaten. repeatedly.

ultron87

Hugbot said:

I'm sure they could just add "DLC Ownership" as another factor for who gets matched together. So it'd try to find folks with DLC first, and then if it can't it finds whoever and no DLC maps appear in the voting list for that match.

I'd hope their system is set up to do such things.

oddworld18 said:
This is the problem, for all you people complaining about getting locked out of playlists.

Without playlists that require the DLC, those of us who bought it will get to play on it very rarely. I know it sucks to get locked out of playlists because you want to play with people who didn't buy it, but there's no other solution that I can see.

If I recall, Halo 3 tried to keep at least 50% of the playlists open to non-DLC-purchasers, at least until ODST came out. I think that's a reasonable bar to set, but those 50% cuts have to come in awkward places without having 20 separate playlists. We'll see how it shakes out.

Well said.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Should have had another 4v4 map. Then it would have been a pretty great value.

As it is... sort-of want. We'll see how much Halo I'm playing in 6 weeks. That will determine my purchase.

SuperBonk

oddworld18 said:

Why not just create DLC versions of all the playlists then? The problem I'm having is that it seems like Microsoft is using the lockout of playlists as an incentive to get more people to shell out $10 for the maps. I think it's pretty ridiculous.

ultron87 said:
I'm sure they could just add "DLC Ownership" as another factor for who gets matched together. So it'd try to find folks with DLC first, and then if it can't it finds whoever and no DLC maps appear in the voting list for that match.

I'd hope their system is set up to do such things.
This is what we need.

Otherwise every time a DLC pack is released it amounts to a de facto $10 fee to keep your access to the playlists available at launch. That's otherwise known as fucking over your customers.

But I'll hold out hope until we get some specifics. This is what killed Halo 3 for me though so I am anxious about it.

SuperBonk said:
Why not just create DLC versions of all the playlists then? The problem I'm having is that it seems like Microsoft is using the lockout of playlists as an incentive to get more people to shell out $10 for the maps. I think it's pretty ridiculous.

See my post above.

The Halo 3 DLC restrictions were dropped close to a year ago at this point. And what did we find?

You barely play on any DLC maps at all because 1 guy who doesn't play the game enough to feel they are worth the money makes it impossible for the other 7-15 paying customers to enjoy their product.

NullPointer said:
This is what we need.

Otherwise every time a DLC pack is released it amounts to a de facto $10 fee to keep your access to the playlists available at launch. That's otherwise known as fucking over your customers.

But I'll hold out hope until we get some specifics. This is what killed Halo 3 for me though so I am anxious about it.

There was never one moment in the course of Halo 3's life that an original buyer with no DLC lost access to a FFA playlist, a 4v4 Slayer playlist, a 4v4 or 5v5 Objective playlist, and a 6v6 mixed playlist. I guess the real problem is that people were hung up on Halo 3's stupid ranking system and couldn't bear to play on a playlist that didn't have a number next to their name. And if you are into Halo enough to care about your Rank, and you want to be on a Ranked playlist, I don't see why you shouldn't have to have the maps.

SuperBonk said:

Then you would have over 20+ playlists with low populations in each. (Creating long matchmaking times). It's not so simple.

JB1981 said:
so wait if i don't buy this map pack i will be locked out of a playlist? if so, which?

It's a stupid conversation because odds are Reach's matchmaking is set up in a better way than 3's was 3+ years ago.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Letters said:
DGMVj.jpg

Freaking gorgeous.

Will anyone ever even SEE any of that geometry while playing. Seems like the gameplay will be isolated behind that blue electric wall...

Edit: NM, just noticed a red spartan chilling on the balcony above.

Top Bottom