• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach 1st DLC Announced - Noble Map Pack - 11/30/2010

JesseZao

PsychoRaven said:
Personally I would love to have some non forge versions of these maps.

Prisoner
Battle Creak
Boarding Action
timberland
Danger Canyon
Hang Em High
District
Turf
Terminal
Water Works.

Sadly We will never ever see that many DLC maps much less those. I can dream though. lol

I think the only thing that would please all of us, would be to have a Halo 1&2 'HD' Collection. That way we could continue to play those beloved maps without trying to fit them into Reach. Sounds like a good first project 343i :D

Falagard

Dani said:
If we are getting Halo 3 maps in future, expect to wait a long time to see them.

Do you think this because Bungie/Microsoft want to see Halo 3 continue to sell?

Personally I think that they could convert Halo 3 maps over to Halo Reach without any additional artwork. Massage the map data into whatever format Halo Reach needs, charge us for content we already paid for in Halo 3, and presto. Instant money.

Kibbles

Where are the action shots? The one in the banner at Bnet looks sexy.

MNP_topnews.jpg

Dechaios said:
The only map that needs to reappear is Waterworks from Halo 2... set it in that incredible looking cave from the end of Reach and you'd have the greatest BTB map ever.
That brownish looking cave with the boogers in it? that was more like the most boring and worst looking area in the entire Reach campaign

Kibbles

Diablohead said:
That brownish looking cave with the boogers in it? that was more like the most boring and worst looking area in the entire Reach campaign
No he's talking about the glacier level, I believe...

Waterworks isn't waterworks without falling stalagmites!

I'd prefer mostly new maps designed for Reach's gameplay. It's quite a bit different from Halo 2/3 and maps like Sanctuary and Ascension don't play very good with the additions to Reach.

Jinjo

I have a feeling the level-cap raise will coincide with the release of this pack. It fits the one/two month timeframe too. They were probably deciding on a releasedate for the maps before they are going to announce an official date for the level cap raise.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Falagard said:
Do you think this because Bungie/Microsoft want to see Halo 3 continue to sell?

Personally I think that they could convert Halo 3 maps over to Halo Reach without any additional artwork. Massage the map data into whatever format Halo Reach needs, charge us for content we already paid for in Halo 3, and presto. Instant money.

Map fatigue. We've been playing on the Halo 3 maps for years. They may see it that they need to give them a break to build demand for them.

For example, I know many folks that wouldn't want to see Sandtrap, Valhalla, Avalanche or Standoff for quite some time if ever again yet I'd buy them in a heartbeat for Reach if given the chance.

Raide

Kibbles said:
No he's talking about the glacier level, I believe...

Waterworks isn't wateworks without falling stalagmites!

This!

Not sure how the map would work with Jetpacks in it. Would have to lock them out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Chrange said:
I think $10 for three maps is too much, but Halo Reach - all new maps. Call of Duty - two recycled maps bring the average price down.

You're defending Medal of Honor to the death and say Reach doesn't have enough maps? :lol

Your definition if "defending to the death" must be loose.

My wish is that Bungie would pop out about 20 forge world maps to put into matchmaking...no remakes, just simple yet fun maps. Not to be particularly offensive, but me and my friend made a map in 2 days that I believe plays better than many of the aesthetically pleasing yet otherwise stale maps in mm. Seriously, some of Bungie's maps seem like they have completely disregarded the gameplay mechanics (particularly movement), merely focusing on making things line up visually. I want to sprint between cover, I want to deflect grenades off of angled structures made just for that purpose. I want my actions to feel connected to my surroundings. Take Reflection for example. I know it's a remake and all, but there is just 0 flow to that level. The center area is awful; a random circle of blocks that provide no cover, steps (the sand-garden area) that are too big to properly jump around on, and don't get me started on the upper level. I do apologize for the rant, but I just don't understand how it takes 3 years for the level designers to come up with most of this stuff. All I want is some maps that feel good to maneuver my character through, is that asking too much?

ElRenoRaven

JesseZao said:
I think the only thing that would please all of us, would be to have a Halo 1&2 'HD' Collection. That way we could continue to play those beloved maps without trying to fit them into Reach. Sounds like a good first project 343i :D

Hell I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I've said that time and time again.

PsychoRaven said:
Personally I would love to have some non forge versions of these maps.

Prisoner
Battle Creak
Boarding Action
timberland
Danger Canyon
Hang Em High
District
Turf
Terminal
Water Works.

Sadly We will never ever see that many DLC maps much less those. I can dream though. lol

Agree on some of those. I would love to see Turf/Terminal, they would work together well in one map, but with a forge variant separating them into different maps. Take down the border for one giant awesome BTB/Invasion map? That would a be a good way to get 2 remakes and a new map in one map alone. But...I dont think it would ever happen. =/

That said, I cant wait for new Maps.. I agree, the price is sad, but its been like that for every halo 3 map pack. Plus, new forgeable maps are always welcomed.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Was waiting for this. Glad to see more bigger maps here because BTB is sorely lacking in good ones. Day one for me, especially since I'll probably have gotten 800 free points from that bing thing until then. I've gotten 400 so far, but I keep forgetting about it.

Raide

Teknoman said:
Hell yeah, outer space map! Finally have some free time to get back into the game too :D

If only they made the outer boundaries massive, then people could Forge in Space! :lol

Trickster

Jinjo said:
I have a feeling the level-cap raise will coincide with the release of this pack. It fits the one/two month timeframe too. They were probably deciding on a releasedate for the maps before they are going to announce an official date for the level cap raise.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the community stuff that bungie wants to have people do to unlock the new ranks is "a total of 2 million map packs sold" type challenge.

Trickster said:
Wouldn't it be awesome if the community stuff that bungie wants to have people do to unlock the new ranks is "a total of 2 million map packs sold" type challenge.
Magic 8 ball says "All signs point to sarcasm".

Raide

Trickster said:

I am sure it will be "Get X amount of Assists". :lol

Kujo

Well I'm glad we're getting new maps, but I did feel ripped off with the awful selection that shipped with the disc.

RE: Halo 2 maps
I'm a little sad that Waterworks or Headlong didn't make it in to this first pack. Without a doubt Halo 2 had the best maps of the series, though I think some of the smaller ones won't work as well in Reach as they did in 2. But the BTB ones can be good for BTB or Invasion.

RE: Halo 3 maps
Not as terrible as the Reach selection, but not really needed at this point (or ever)

RE: Modern Warfare
Depending on how you value old maps, MW2 DLC either comes out as a bit cheaper or a bit more expensive per map. The big difference though is that they don't lock you out of playlists for not buying every DLC like H3 did, if you don't have a map and that map happens to come up, you can just exit the lobby and search again. Plus there was a large selection already on the disc, and most were seperate from the campaign levels.

Raide said:
I would actually like more new maps that make use of the AA's. Leave the remaking to ForgeGAF. :D
Hear Hear. Remakes are at best nostalgia trips, and at worst they are imbalanced for Reach and easily broken by AA use.

Jex

No god damned remakes. It's embarrassing enough that they basically placed Blood Gulch into matchmaking, considering how woefully unbalanced it is for Reach's various new mechanics.

Maybe in the final map pack they'll cater to these demands, but Forge is definitely the way to go for those at the moment.

Kujo

To be quite honest, I really don't like Forge for remakes. Sure some may play like the old ones, but visual design goes to shit. Forge World is very monotonous. If Bungie (or I guess 343) can create some classics of their own with new DLC maps then great, we won't need remakes. But I'm yet to be impressed with any of the original Reach maps. At least this time they're not forced to make them work in both campaign and matchmaking.

Striker

Two BTB maps, though I cannot really tell how large or small they really are. BTB did need more love since Paradiso and Hemorrhage were the only true BTB maps at the current point since they haven't adjusted Spire and Boneyard, yet.

Anchor 9 looks good for a quality Team Slayer and Rumble Pit contest. Could prove me wrong. I do wish for more 4v4 symmetrical maps, however, as that's where Reach is mostly lacking.

RE: Halo 3 maps
Not as terrible as the Reach selection, but not really needed at this point (or ever)
We had no sense in getting a large remake from Halo 3. The favorite from that game in BTB was Valhalla, another two-sided map where its best played in a symmetrical environment. Reach already has two of those and lacks solid 1-sided maps for BTB. That's where the focus, I hope, lies. As I said before, as it looks, both of these are for your 1-sided flavor, which is a very good thing.

Plus Halo 3 maps overall were trash. Getting 5 or so maps out of 24 which I considered above average isn't something to bloat about.

JdFoX187

Banned
Striker said:
Two BTB maps, though I cannot really tell how large or small they really are. BTB did need more love since Paradiso and Hemorrhage were the only true BTB maps at the current point since they haven't adjusted Spire and Boneyard, yet.
You raise a good point. Spire could be an awesome homage to Relic if they put the flag or bomb arming spot up on the spire instead of in that building.

Bread

Banned
AwesomeSyrup said:
Why would we pay for those when we can make them ourselves?
Because I barely ever play custom games, I would love to see more Forgeworld remakes in matchmaking.

Kujo

Striker said:
Plus Halo 3 maps overall were trash. Getting 5 or so maps out of 24 which I considered above average isn't something to bloat about.
Yeah I disliked most of 3's maps, though with Reach I'm struggling to find even one I like.

JdFoX187

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
I'm really saddened and disheartened at people's willingness to bend over to pay $10 for 3 maps.
Value is a perception. $10 for what will be many hours of enjoyment is fine to me.

MrSerrels

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but Reach is seriously lacking in good 4v4 maps. The vast majority of people prefer to play 4v4 matches, it's a minority that play Big Team Battle, so I don't understand why they continue to cater to that crowd.

Halo: Reach is in dire need of a couple more decent competitive maps.

Smokey

AnEternalEnigma said:
I'm really saddened and disheartened at people's willingness to bend over to pay $10 for 3 maps.

It's $10 brah..not a big deal. Especially for a game that is heavy in your gaming rotation.

Walshicus

AnEternalEnigma said:
One of them is heavily Forge-able. Have a look at the Halo Reach Forge thread. Justified.

Raide

MrSerrels said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but Reach is seriously lacking in good 4v4 maps. The vast majority of people prefer to play 4v4 matches, it's a minority that play Big Team Battle, so I don't understand why they continue to cater to that crowd.

Halo: Reach is in dire need of a couple more decent competitive maps.

I love making 4v4 maps. :lol

Lothars

AnEternalEnigma said:

I am really annoyed at how many people are whining about the price when it's been like that since Halo 3 and it's not as bad as 15 bucks.

I think this is a fine deal and yeah I wish it was cheaper but it's not overpriced.

Presco

AnEternalEnigma said:

Depressing sod. Choose something worthwhile to be emo about please. I'm saddened and disheartened about the 5 children with cancer I met today.

Maps look beautiful. Will be nice to have a bit more big team variety. A bit disappointed that the expanded Forge pallete will be essentially an extension of Forge World. We have enough daytime outdoor forerunner stuff.

Also wish it was coming a bit sooner. I know it's close to release but this game needs maps fast. Or at least some community implementation. Have they even detailed how that is going to work, aside from their new Forge contest? Can't wait to get some Invasion variants. I've played some amazing custom Invasion maps.

2 of the 3 look interesting to me. Unfortunately I don't think I can convince myself to pay 10 bucks for it because of those 2. :(

I'll wait...

edit: If the videos of the docking bay look awesome then I may bite. I need to see how the low grav pans out.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Won't buy since I never buy dlc, but isn't this kind of early to be announcing map packs? It hasn't been more than a month since launch.

This is the "Please don't trade it in for Black Ops!!" strategy.

Presco said:
Depressing sod. Choose something worthwhile to be emo about please. I'm saddened and disheartened about the 5 children with cancer I met today.

Maps look beautiful. Will be nice to have a bit more big team variety. A bit disappointed that the expanded Forge pallete will be essentially an extension of Forge World. We have enough daytime outdoor forerunner stuff.

Also wish it was coming a bit sooner. I know it's close to release but this game needs maps fast. Or at least some community implementation. Have they even detailed how that is going to work, aside from their new Forge contest? Can't wait to get some Invasion variants. I've played some amazing custom Invasion maps.

There's why the map price bothers me. This game has no maps and they're going to charge us 1/6 of the retail price to add just three more.

Also, nice job invoking kids with cancer as a way to protest an opinion you don't agree with. You sound like a very classy individual.

Presco

AnEternalEnigma said:
There's why the map price bothers me. This game has no maps and they're going to charge us 1/6 of the retail price to add just three more.

Also, nice job invoking kids with cancer as a way to protest an opinion you don't agree with. You sound like a very classy individual.

Point taken, I have a tendency to overreact. I should mention they also inspired me. You were being melodramatic and I didn't help matters but it was fresh in my mind.

Mr. B

Not touching this after what they pulled last time. Paid maps going free + forcing you to have all of the map packs to play 90% of the playlists.

Mr. B said:
Not touching this after what they pulled last time. Paid maps going free + forcing you to have all of the map packs to play 90% of the playlists.
Read the thread - its not going to work like Halo 3.

Deadstar

Yes it would be better if they had 5 maps for $10 but I've been playing a lot and having a good time so I'm ok with paying $10. I'm the kind of guy that puts the most hours into only my favorite games. If there is dlc for a game I'm putting a lot of time into, I'll pay up, especially since Halo maps have a lot of value to me because you can play many different game types on each. I see myself playing Halo for many more months, so spending $10 is not a problem. If it was $10 a map I wouldn't be interested but this is fairly reasonable.

KJTB

I'm such a sucker for DLC... I always bitch and moan about it and swear that I won't give in to the temptation...

Day one.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
is it like mw2s's system?
Now sure what MW2's system is. I bailed out of that game once the DLC hit.

But here is what we have to go on so far:

urk said:
ultron87 said:
I'm sure they could just add "DLC Ownership" as another factor for who gets matched together. So it'd try to find folks with DLC first, and then if it can't it finds whoever and no DLC maps appear in the voting list for that match.

I'd hope their system is set up to do such things.
It is.

Top Bottom