• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach 1st DLC Announced - Noble Map Pack - 11/30/2010

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Will be buying.

Maps remind me of some Halo Wars stuff to look at (.. for obvious reasons I guess).

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Won't buy since I never buy dlc, but isn't this kind of early to be announcing map packs? It hasn't been more than a month since launch.
I never have bought DLC either, I hope some free forge world re-makes make it in soon.

web01

What a joke, should be free.

Especially considering the piss poor selection of maps included in the base game.

Likely this was held back from retail release anyway.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
brain_stew said:
Splintering the community already!?

Smh.
It won't splinter the community. You can still play with like minded "I HAET DLC" people as you will be matched with them. Says Urk. In this thread.
Case closed.

Striker

Mr. B said:
Even if it's different than Halo 3 i'm still not going to touch it. Just the principle of it.

im mad brah
oh noes

It's drawing the line similar to Halo 2. Nothing wrong with that.

georgc

MnUG5.gif

Wish this was in the game.

Lazslo

brain_stew said:
Splintering the community already!?

Smh.
It's not splintering the community at all- It will most likely be seamless and you won't notice any difference in map selection during voting. I don't know that statistics of DLC adoption but I can only believe half of the people who own Reach will purchase the new hotness-if that, the people who have the maps will get matched with other who got em and the have-nots won't notice any changes to their Reach experience.

georgc said:
MnUG5.gif

Wish this was in the game.

It would have made sense, to have that in, too- in the final game, Jorge didn't really do anything in that level until the very end.

I guess Bungie decided that Jorge had enough screentime and cut him from the main section. Considering he's the most developed and sympathetic member of Noble by a country mile and some of the others needed screentime, I suppose I can understand.

the entire game could have been Jorge and I wouldn't have minded. Favorite Halo character behind the Arbiter and Halo 2/books Prophet of Truth

Iknos

800 pts...

F that S that means $20-$40 for LAN gamers who buy it for multiple consoles.

Game came with a paltry selection of maps. MS has to make up for the low number of maps.

Decision made easier with a lack of smaller maps for 4-8 players.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Iknos said:
800 pts...

F that S that means $20-$40 for LAN gamers who buy it for multiple consoles.

Game came with a paltry selection of maps. MS has to make up for the low number of maps.

Decision made easier with a lack of smaller maps for 4-8 players
This desire will never be satisfied. Sucks especially for us people who love playing Halo local. Truly a billion times more fun than online, yet the online experience will forever be held in importance, with the local experience neglected. At least Bungie added tons of options and distribution of credits to those who love to play offline as well, instead of neglecting them in that sense.

Striker

backflip10019 said:
Ugh, too many big maps. I wish they would release some good smaller 4x4 maps.
They need to add symmetrical maps, not just 4v4 maps. 4v4 symmetrical maps are fairly lacking, at least right now. You have Asylum which is great aside from the tower issue, Zealot, and Countdown. The others, like Boardwalk, Pinnacle, Reflection, Powerhouse, and Swordbase are all better suited for 1-side games like 1-CTF, 1 Bomb, etc.

Perhaps they're thinking of adding those via Forge add-ons.

Clott

R_GILL said:
Noble Map Pack already, I figured that is what they would call the last one. Wonder what name they will give the other ones. Can really tell too much from the pictures, hopefully at least one is a suitable big team map.

YOU STOLE MY AVATAR!!!

that is all.

Iknos

enzo_gt said:
At least Bungie added tons of options and distribution of credits to those who love to play offline as well, instead of neglecting them in that sense.

Custom Forgeworld variations helps quench our thirst for smaller maps but we are already getting tired of the same look of the walls. Even with the fancy HDR shader balls.

You're right at least we have some options here.

Dear MS: With the low amount of maps the game came with the map pack should have been bigger. All I have to say.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
darthbob said:
What level was that 'supposed' to take place in?

Looks like it was "custom altered" at the bridge you go across in tip of the spear right before you run into the HVT.

Edit: looks like Thago said the same thing.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm hoping that the "huge Forge palette" on Tempest includes all those huge forerunner pieces I'm seeing right there. But that might be too much wishful thinking.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Iknos said:
Custom Forgeworld variations helps quench our thirst for smaller maps but we are already getting tired of the same look of the walls. Even with the fancy HDR shader balls.

You're right at least we have some options here.

Dear MS: With the low amount of maps the game came with the map pack should have been bigger. All I have to say.
This is the EXACT reason I'm disappointed in Tempest. Couldn't we have gotten a Covie Forge World? Or a Snowy Forge world? (kind of tired of snowy/sandy environments in Halo tbh)

Or you know, allowing full colour control like being able to make RED walls or YELLOW stairs.

Grey is not an aesthetically pleasing colour, especially when the actual colours you can adjust, barely even function as accents or provide variation.

And no, this shit wouldn't be hard to do, and nobody would care if it broke some superficial Halo aesthetic, especially when Bungie promotes offbeat maps.

urk said:
Most of the vignettes in that trailer were custom, including that one. :)

At least that makes sense. When playing the game I was wondering why all of the cool scenes were cut. Guess they didn't exist, ah well. :lol

Anyways I just really hope Tempest has just as many options as forgeworld. Anyway we can get new filters, like a true night time filter?

Iknos

Demoncarnotaur said:
Anyways I just really hope Tempest has just as many options as forgeworld. Anyway we can get new filters, like a true night time filter?

By "true" do you mean that you don't like the combo one you can make? We combined 2 to make a pretty good night one. You can add some lights and its nifty looking. Only problem is those lights don't have much range.

Works great for outdoor levels.

I hear ya enzo.

While we're hoping, make it like the MW2 map pack except still 800 points.

3 new, 2 remakes.

I'd like to submit Waterworks and Boarding action.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
web01 said:
What a joke, should be free.

Especially considering the piss poor selection of maps included in the base game.

Likely this was held back from retail release anyway.

while this sounds bitter as fuck I can't disagree with it much. I do like most of the maps at release though, especially powerhouse. asylum I would really like, but it's pretty broken by jetpack/sniper.

chase

3 maps? lololol And I was actually thinking of making Reach maps my first ever DLC. Thanks for making my decision easy, Bungie!

web01

What makes it more of an insult is that most the maps provided in the base game are ripped from the single player story.

Reach has been nothing but a quick cash in and the DLC proves it.

Bungie should be atleast porting over some of the Halo 3 DLC maps into these packs to make it better value and make up for the very poor map selection currently in the game.

chase said:
3 maps? lololol And I was actually thinking of making Reach maps my first ever DLC. Thanks for making my decision easy, Bungie!
wow GAF. Let me make this simple:

First, Even though XBL Arcade titles may offer more bang-for-your-buck than just "3 maps and some achievements" @800MS ...Bungie's DLC price has been unchanged since Halo 3(2007) and in a similar way even in Halo 2(2004).

Second, Everyone complaining about the $$$ needs to grow up and realize the price point been successful for years, and so expecting Microsoft to lower it is ludicrous (btw, MS chooses DLC prices not Bungie) I'm surprised they didn't raise the price tbh.

And finally, GAF. I could afford those maps with my allowance when I was 12. C'mon son.

Striker

web01 said:
What makes it more of an insult is that most the maps provided in the base game are ripped from the single player story.

Reach has been nothing but a quick cash in and the DLC proves it.

Bungie should be atleast porting over some of the Halo 3 DLC maps into these packs to make it better value and make up for the very poor map selection currently in the game.
Halo 3 maps were fairly garbage.

Who knows if these maps will hold up well; unless you've already played them don't be so hostile about it.

IMO they should pull a valve and include 1-2 of the best community maps and include them with the pack, tweak them a bit to ensure balance and stuff though.

No reason not to bolster the map selection, especially if it's not going to take much resources.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
les papillons sexuels said:
IMO they should pull a valve and include 1-2 of the best community maps and include them with the pack, tweak them a bit to ensure balance and stuff though.

No reason not to bolster the map selection, especially if it's not going to take much resources.

They don't need to do that. Bungie is working with several communities to get the best community content put into matchmaking and hosting a major contest to do likewise - free of charge.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
les papillons sexuels said:

Are you saying they should take the layout/design of a community made Forge World map and create an entirely new map out of it?

That would be pretty kick-ass actually, unless you were just talking about including the forge variants in the pack, which wouldn't make sense, because that would be unnecessary, as they can already be implemented into any of the playlist.

zlatko

Banned
Hopefully these 3 new maps are leagues better than Cage and Zealot, so they just replace those maps from ever showing up again when I play. :D

It'll be a tough sell to me. I've been burning the hours on Reach, but I do plan to buy Black Ops on release. Black Ops would have to be the worse game for my game tastes for me to buy this DLC right away, but I know later on I'll get it when the maps are bundled with other DLC maps or other DLC in general.

All 3 look great though. :)

Raide

Cuban Legend said:
wow GAF. Let me make this simple:

First, Even though XBL Arcade titles may offer more bang-for-your-buck than just "3 maps and some achievements" @800MS ...Bungie's DLC price has been unchanged since Halo 3(2007) and in a similar way even in Halo 2(2004).

Second, Everyone complaining about the $$$ needs to grow up and realize the price point been successful for years, and so expecting Microsoft to lower it is ludicrous (btw, MS chooses DLC prices not Bungie) I'm surprised they didn't raise the price tbh.

And finally, GAF. I could afford those maps with my allowance when I was 12. C'mon son.

*Bow*

I am still addicted to Forge, so I need to get my ForgeCrack somehow. DLC will be mine.

Olivero

You know what I would love? DLC missions for campaign, featuring you as the previous 6 or even other members of Noble Team. Make it episodic, you know, individual missions and such from their skirmishes with the Covenant through the Halo-verse.

Olivero said:
You know what I would love? DLC missions for campaign, featuring you as the previous 6 or even other members of Noble Team. Make it episodic, you know, individual missions and such from their skirmishes with the Covenant through the Halo-verse.
This is an awesome idea but I know it'll never happen. =\

Olivero

Neuromancer said:
This is an awesome idea but I know it'll never happen. =\

Dude, I really came to like Noble Team, I'd like to hear more stories about them. Even in book form. Especially Jorge. He's just a beast.

Top Bottom