• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

Could someone here help me out, I am looking for one of two things.

a) A link (favorite) that I can set that will always go to the last page of this thread, rather than going to GAF and then clicking last page.

b) An RSS feed type deal that pops up when a new post is made? Sounds obsessive, I know... But it would be convenient I think.

Thanks!

FunkyMunkey said:
I'm positive I missed this, but have they changed the vehicle health from the beta? It seemed I would hop in one and blow up in seconds.
Yes they changed vehicle health... They won't blow up as easy now, that's all I believe was discussed.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
Yes they changed vehicle health... They won't blow up as easy now, that's all I believe was discussed.
Tweaking Vehicles

One thing that many of you have asked about following the beta is how vehicles are being adjusted for the final game. The vehicles, like everything else, were a work-in-progress at the time of the beta and things have indeed changed since then. Sage and Josh gave me the lowdown on what to expect in September (still subject to fine tuning):

• Overall vehicles are "much, much meatier" than they were in the Beta.
  • Vehicles will no longer just explode on their own, "GTA style." Vehicles will only blow up from direct player damage. So, no more killing an opponent and flying away only to have your flaming vehicle suddenly explode on you.
  • Vehicle damage will now partially transfer to the player, just like you're used to in Halo 3. You'll see this represented in your own shield/health meter as your vehicle takes damage.
  • Even cooler - the damage that a player takes depends on the location of the damage being done relative to the player. So, if you throw a grenade underneath a Warthog, the driver is going to take a little bit of damage. If you throw a grenade into the sun roof or windshield, the driver will take significantly more damage.
http://halo.bungie.org/bwu/index.html?item=280

derFeef said:
A bit offtopic, but since I have not tried any Firefight yet but thinking it looks like a blast in Reach - is it really broken in ODST? Everytime I read something about Firefight, "lag" and "shitty map design" get´s mentioned.

Guess it would be the best to wait for Reach to try it out?

No, its definately not broken, but as someone above mentions there are some questionable design issues. I have an average internet connection and NEVER ran into unbearable lag. It wasn't completely lag free, but its definately no where near broken.

I am completely clueless on technical things like net code and all that, but was wondering if the lack of match making might have played a role in creating lag since you cannot set it up to look for the best connection. Again, I don't know how this stuff works, so I am probably completely wrong on that but thought I'd throw it out there and see how wrong I am. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
Tweaking Vehicles

One thing that many of you have asked about following the beta is how vehicles are being adjusted for the final game. The vehicles, like everything else, were a work-in-progress at the time of the beta and things have indeed changed since then. Sage and Josh gave me the lowdown on what to expect in September (still subject to fine tuning):

• Overall vehicles are "much, much meatier" than they were in the Beta.
  • Vehicles will no longer just explode on their own, "GTA style." Vehicles will only blow up from direct player damage. So, no more killing an opponent and flying away only to have your flaming vehicle suddenly explode on you.
  • Vehicle damage will now partially transfer to the player, just like you're used to in Halo 3. You'll see this represented in your own shield/health meter as your vehicle takes damage.
  • Even cooler - the damage that a player takes depends on the location of the damage being done relative to the player. So, if you throw a grenade underneath a Warthog, the driver is going to take a little bit of damage. If you throw a grenade into the sun roof or windshield, the driver will take significantly more damage.
http://halo.bungie.org/bwu/index.html?item=280
The more important question being: 1 or 2 scorpion shots to kill a wraith?

Mizzou Gaming said:
I am completely clueless on technical things like net code and all that, but was wondering if the lack of match making might have played a role in creating lag since you cannot set it up to look for the best connection. Again, I don't know how this stuff works, so I am probably completely wrong on that but thought I'd throw it out there and see how wrong I am. :lol

If you just want to play with anyone you can get your hands on, then I suppose you could argue that a lack of matchmaking doesn't help. But if you want to play specifically with friends then matchmaking can't do anything if one of them has a bad connection.

Firefight in Reach should be smoother because it's far more bandwidth efficient (so there's less chance of some information getting lost as it sends less stuff in the first place), and because it's implemented quite a few features from multiplayer like host migration, so the game can try and do something if things take a turn for the worse.

Hopefully, the fact that Reach also tells you how good or bad your connection is will also stop some of the "but my connection is awesome don't tell me I'm at fault" nonsense, and cause people to get problems sorted.

I think some of you may have misinterpreted Jeff's preview.

I read it like he was having a go at himself. He never actually addressed the game. He was basically calling himself an idiot the whole time for not knowing what the hell he was doing.

Or did I misinterpret GAF's response?

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I read it like he was having a go at himself. He never actually addressed the game. He was basically calling himself an idiot the whole time for not knowing what the hell he was doing.
A WaPo or NYT reporter who wrote a piece about how they couldn't remember two answers given in a political briefing wouldn't keep their jobs.

Gaming journalism is pretty sloppy.

Pappasman

Lazslo said:

Nice Master Chief clarification :lol

2 Minutes Turkish said:

I read it that way too. He was pissed that he didn't take notes. He also had only nice things to say about the game.

ElRenoRaven

derFeef said:
A bit offtopic, but since I have not tried any Firefight yet but thinking it looks like a blast in Reach - is it really broken in ODST? Everytime I read something about Firefight, "lag" and "shitty map design" get´s mentioned.

Guess it would be the best to wait for Reach to try it out?

I find Firefight to be a total blast. Sure everyone is going to have a map or two they don't like but they are all good. The lag really isn't a problem as long as you are playing with people close to your area. I tend to do fine with anyone from America for example but trying to play with Europeans is a total lagfest.

So yea if you can you have to try it. I loved what I could play solo but once I bit the bullet and started playing with gaffers I have been in heaven. It's truly amazing and fun. Well till you get the Black eye skull on. I hate that damn skull with a passion.

GhaleonEB

"We're concentrating on the launch of The Fall of Reach..." made me laugh.

Also someone tell the 1up dudes not to set their media player volume to maximum by default, it nearly destroyed my ear drums.

MrBig

Shake Appeal said:
A WaPo or NYT reporter who wrote a piece about how they couldn't remember two answers given in a political briefing wouldn't keep their jobs.

I'm pretty sure you're reading it differently than he intended. He liked the game, but out of the two levels that he was allowed to talk about, they were insignificant compared to the other levels.

Chinner

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Chinner, you are by far my favorite single serving friend. Your posts typically make me chuckle.
thanks bro. lets go out clubbing and pick up some ladies or if you're too young we can stay in play halo and pokemon. i don't mind.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Shake Appeal said:

This. I know we have a go at IGN from time to time but even they wouldn't have posted that Giantbomb "preview".

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Chinner said:
thanks bro. lets go out clubbing and pick up some ladies or if you're too young we can stay in play halo and pokemon. i don't mind.

:lol

I'm too old for either of those. I turn 30 in December, but the Army made me feel like I'm in my 40s. :lol

That reminds me, can't miss Jersey shore this week.

Shake Appeal said:

That I'm not debating.

It sounded to me, like some of HalGAF might have been interpreting it as a negative preview. But I could be wrong there.

I thought he was saying his actual PREVIEW sucked. As in, the article he wrote, not the game. He seemed to like the game.

commissar said:
Changed it so now it will go to the unread posts.

If you want to do it with other threads, just copy the thread ID in the bookmark and replace it.
Thank you (and derFeef) very much!

Exactly what I was looking for...

Y'know, this sword spree achievement would be easier if there weren't so many plasma grenades on Heretic and everyone didn't stick me just before my blade pierces their throat.

Merguson

Banned
I'm pretty sure Microsoft/Bungie don't go inviting journalists to events only to have them not remember anything from the event.

Shake Appeal said:
Y'know, this sword spree achievement would be easier if there weren't so many plasma grenades on Heretic and everyone didn't stick me just before my blade pierces their throat.
I would rather die by grenade than have your teammate kill you 2 kills into it cause he wants the sword..

Kraut

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Good to see I wasn't the only one who wasn't morally offended. Yeah, the guy did a shit job, that's why he wrote the article calling himself out on it. Yeah, this is another case where "lol games journalism" applies, but only because people insist on calling it journalism. It's not. It's media and enthusiast press. People make mistakes, getting butthurt over it (especially when someone points out their own short-comings) is rather childish.

Now, anyone want to do ODST firefight achievements or vidmasters at around 6 pst?

I got to 4 kills and then my teammate shotgunned me. WELL, THAT'S ME FOR THE NIGHT.

In 23 more games, I will have played more Halo 3 than Halo 2. Considering that the 360 has had many more games demanding my time, that Halo 2 had a longer lifespan than Halo 3 has had, and that Left 4 Dead 1&2 exist, that's kind of amazing. I know 3,299 games isn't many to some of you, but damn I have played a lot of Halo.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shake Appeal said:
I got to 4 kills and then my teammate shotgunned me. WELL, THAT'S ME FOR THE NIGHT.

In 23 more games, I will have played more Halo 3 than Halo 2. Considering that the 360 has had many more games demanding my time, that Halo 2 had a longer lifespan than Halo 3 has had, and that Left 4 Dead 1&2 exist, that's kind of amazing. I know 3,299 games isn't many to some of you, but damn I have played a lot of Halo.

I would go through and do those achievements too, but I'm really hoping I have enough for the waypoint unlocks. I can't see suffering through those online achievements like that.

Shake Appeal said:

I only played about 700games. Its a lot of games for me, because i played all the games alone. Now i'll try to get the last 8 achievements in Halo 3/ODST.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
If I recall, it was never said that you needed all the 3/ODST achievements for the Waypoint bonus unlock. Just that you needed to have played both games and updated Waypoint with your achievement information to prove it.

Pretty sure we'll find out the specific shortly too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Kraut said:
Good to see I wasn't the only one who wasn't morally offended. Yeah, the guy did a shit job, that's why he wrote the article calling himself out on it. Yeah, this is another case where "lol games journalism" applies, but only because people insist on calling it journalism. It's not. It's media and enthusiast press. People make mistakes, getting butthurt over it (especially when someone points out their own short-comings) is rather childish.

Now, anyone want to do ODST firefight achievements or vidmasters at around 6 pst?

I still need Deja Vu, anyone else done it? Could use someone with the knowledge of it. :D

Deadly Cyclone said:
I still need Deja Vu, anyone else done it? Could use someone with the knowledge of it. :D

A good team obviously helps. I did it a few nights ago with PsychoRaven, Cynar and Chocopolka (who was on a tear with the rocket launcher-- come to think of it, he was kicking Covenant ass mercilessly in all the games we played).

The stretches of highway where you have to deal with Ghosts and Banshees can be rather aggravating, but it's sometimes easier if you push forward (you'll be on Mongooses) to the tunnels and the end of the road and hold up defensively there until the doors open. Some sides of the road (left or right) seem easier than others, so change things up if the side you're on isn't working out. Also, make sure you take Ghosts, and ideally, Banshees out before you overtake them and they gang up and attack from the rear.

When it comes to infantry, Grunts, Jackals and Drones aren't a priority-- deal with the motherfuckers (Brutes and Grunts) with fuel-rod cannons first. Those guys can really ruin your day.

Communication between driver and gunner also helps, so you know when the guy in back is taking damage.

Other than those Ghost and Banshee stretches, though, there's really not much to it. Once our group got past the second or third one, it was pretty much smooth sailing until the end.

I'm unavailable tonight, but if you still need it by tomorrow, I may be able to help.

What unlock do I get for having all 1750 and 1000 in Halo 3 and ODST respectively?

Sucks you guys are all (or mostly( yanks. Otherwise I'd help with achievements, I have them all, and have good strategies for them.

At work right now, our time zone differences suck.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dani said:
If I recall, it was never said that you needed all the 3/ODST achievements for the Waypoint bonus unlock. Just that you needed to have played both games and updated Waypoint with your achievement information to prove it.

Pretty sure we'll find out the specific shortly too.

Yeah, I have over 1000 in H3 and 1000 in ODST so if it isn't just having used waypoint, I'm hoping that's enough.

They did hint at rewards for having completed achievements in both games though, if I recall correctly. I also seem to remember something about rewarding those who finished the "road to recon" too, but I could be completely misremembering.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Spaceman Spiff said:
A good team obviously helps. I did it a few nights ago with PsychoRaven, Cynar and Chocopolka (who was on a tear with the rocket launcher-- come to think of it, he was kicking Covenant ass mercilessly in all the games we played).

The stretches of highway where you have to deal with Ghosts and Banshees can be rather aggravating, but it's sometimes easier if you push forward (you'll be on Mongooses) to the tunnels and the end of the road and hold up defensively there until the doors open. Some sides of the road (left or right) seem easier than others, so change things up if the side you're on isn't working out. Also, make sure you take Ghosts, and ideally, Banshees out before you overtake them and they gang up and attack from the rear.

When it comes to infantry, Grunts, Jackals and Drones aren't a priority-- deal with the motherfuckers (Brutes and Grunts) with fuel-rod cannons first. Those guys can really ruin your day.

Communication between driver and gunner also helps, so you know when the guy in back is taking damage.

Other than those Ghost and Banshee stretches, though, there's really not much to it. Once our group got past the second or third one, it was pretty much smooth sailing until the end.

I'm unavailable tonight, but if you still need it by tomorrow, I may be able to help.

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, if you can help tomorrow that would be great. If we can get two more who need it we can pull it off.

The last Halo 3 achievements are killing me too, I need a sword spree on Midship (remake), the shotgun spree, and perfection. Perfection seems impossible to me. I have 4 total achievements left between 3 and ODST.

Top Bottom