• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

-griffy-

Banned
Sadly, the show is getting moved to Saturdays. So much for new viewers!

https://twitter.com/JBFlint/status/620694521752494080

I thought something like this might happen when my local NBC station pushed the show to 1AM a couple weeks ago in favor of some dumb local special.

Aquarius isn't doing well?

Yeah that's funny since it's already renewed for a season 2. But it's also been available online from the start, so that's a weird circumstance. Hannibal is the show that is a direct lead-in to affiliate programming anyways.

that would actually be awesome. Imagine if they just did a marathon of the red dragon story on one night.
oh god, yes

I wouldn't be surprised if they double up on episodes (even on Saturdays) just to burn them off quickly.

This season seems like the type of slow-burn that would've suited the online approach more than Aquarius did, to be honest.

#mess

No, please no. That kills online discussion.

I'm already having trouble keeping up here since I don't want to watch/read spoilery stuff :\ If they aired the eps with NO ADS that would be FANTASTIC and PERFECT because ads mess with the pacing so, so much. All at once, though? Yeah, that would be hard to discuss :(

I'm more than willing to sacrifice the potential of people having interesting conversations online (that will be happening regardless) in order to get the rest of this doomed show into my eyeballs as fast as possible.

-griffy-

Banned
They didn't really have much of a choice, but looks I won't ever have to tune into NBC again after this wraps up

After Community moved on, Parks and Rec ended, and Hannibal ends, I don't think there's another show I watch on the network. Excepting the occasional SNL, though these days that's mostly looking clips up the day after if I hear they're funny.

BkMogul

Wow, sent to the cellar just as the Red Dragon storyline is coming. I guess NBC held off on announcing this until today to not kill the buzz over the weekend. :(

my dick is THROBBING

tumblr_nrctb7DSXM1uro53qo2_500.gif

tumblr_nrctb7DSXM1uro53qo3_500.gif

New "mustnotfap" gif?

Do those still exist?

I would be fine with the move to Saturday, if it started last Saturday. They are going to extend the waiting time from the last episode now? That's bullshit.

I would be fine with the move to Saturday, if it started last Saturday. They are going to extend the waiting time from the last episode now? That's bullshit.
Yeah, this is the worst fanbase to fuck with when it comes to scheduling.

We're all savvy enough to know how to watch content that airs first in the rest of the world. And they think the ratings are bad now? Wait till Saturday
lol.gif

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, this is the worst fanbase to fuck with when it comes to scheduling.

We're all savvy enough to know how to watch content that airs first in the rest of the world. And they think the ratings are bad now? Wait till Saturday
lol.gif

They're just burning off the show at this point. They don't care too much about how Hannibal does at this point.

However, I think it's really odd to do this to Aquarius as well, since they did actually renew that.

They're just burning off the show at this point. They don't care too much about how Hannibal does at this point.

However, I think it's really odd to do this to Aquarius as well, since they did actually renew that.
Yeah, Hannibal's a non-entity at this point as far as NBC is concerned. Makes sense that they wouldn't exactly bend over backwards to accommodate a fanbase that's barely there and never coming back once the show's over.

But yeah, it's really confusing for Aquarius to suffer the same fate. That show's been renewed already, and unless the streaming numbers were simply sensational, it's not exactly doing the show any favors to bury it now.

I couldn't care less about Aquarius, but it's somewhat depressing because irrespective of the show's streaming numbers, other networks will point to NBC's move as a reason not to do the whole online experiment. Instead of, you know, pointing the finger at the show's intensely nonexistent redeeming qualities.

Here's hoping other networks at least try it out. It's the future, plain and simple.

I halt the renewal of the series. This is not a fatal decision. Then, I release the actors from their duties, severing their main contracts. I transfer the show to Saturday night resulting in a expulsion of viewership. I move on to other projects, leaving nothing but a dead cadaver in my wake. This is my design.

-griffy-

Banned
fyulbHH.gif

I halt the renewal of the series. This is not a fatal decision. Then, I release the actors from their duties, severing their main contracts. I transfer the show to Saturday night resulting in a expulsion of viewership. I move on to other projects, leaving nothing but a dead cadaver in my wake. This is my design.
There we go, now it's 100% accurate.

U7LnL1O.gif

and then

tumblr_mm4vzkzro71snd1hqo2_500.gif

Sai-kun

Banned

Crying...

Kuroyume

Banned
Could someone post the ratings for this Thursday's hour/slot when they eventually come out. Curious to see if ratings actually improve. :p

Fucking viewers. :p

Leeness

:'(

Yeah, you move shows to Friday at that time if you really want one last chance of reviving it. If it's already decaying, it airs on Saturday nights.

This sucks, but at least moving Aquarius with it makes sense. People have already seen the full season of that, and it was a significant enough amount that it convinced them to renew it. Plus it was about equal Hannibal's ratings, so they figure keeping that block will help either in that spot.

Monocle

The thing that really gets me about this is how Fuller said Amazon was interested in making Season 4 happen, but they wanted it right away and that wasn't possible somehow. I mean, excuse me? If I were involved in the production, you'd best believe I'd move mountains to seize an opportunity like that.

I know Fuller likes to have all of the scripts finished before filming starts, but I was under the impression that his full plan for the show was more or less mapped out already, at least in broad strokes. So what the hell. The impression I get (and I may be wrong) is that people behind the scenes, possibly including Fuller himself, aren't pushing as hard as they could to keep Hannibal alive. I don't understand why they would let such a fine project slip beneath the waves here.

The thing that really gets me about this is how Fuller said Amazon was interested in making Season 4 happen, but they wanted it right away and that wasn't possible somehow. I mean, excuse me? If I were involved in the production, you'd best believe I'd move mountains to seize an opportunity like that. I know Fuller likes to have all of the scripts finished before filming starts, but I was under the impression that his full plan for the show was more or less mapped out already, at least in broad strokes. So what the hell.
His hands are tied because he's obligated to run American Gods. The timing for all this just sucked.

He's been pretty upfront about that, and I can't say I blame him. When's the last time Starz cancelled a show? :p

The thing that really gets me about this is how Fuller said Amazon was interested in making Season 4 happen, but they wanted it right away and that wasn't possible somehow. I mean, excuse me? If I were involved in the production, you'd best believe I'd move mountains to seize an opportunity like that.

I know Fuller likes to have all of the scripts finished before filming starts, but I was under the impression that his full plan for the show was more or less mapped out already, at least in broad strokes. So what the hell. The impression I get, and I may be wrong, is that people behind the scenes, possibly including Fuller himself, aren't pushing as hard as they could to keep Hannibal alive.

When Hannibal got cancelled, Fuller made a bigger commitment to American Gods. So now any Hannibal stuff takes a backseat to that scheduling-wise.

His hands are tied because he's obligated to run American Gods. The timing for all this just sucked.

He's been pretty upfront about that, and I can't say I blame him. When's the last time Starz cancelled a show? :p

My only problem with the American Gods thing is what would he have done if NBC had renewed them? Left Hannibal?

Monocle

When Hannibal got cancelled, Fuller made a bigger commitment to American Gods. So now any Hannibal stuff takes a backseat to that scheduling-wise.
Ah. Well that's a damn shame. Now I'm caught in the uncomfortable position of resenting an adaptation of Neil Gaiman's work by a showrunner I respect.

My only problem with the American Gods thing is what would he have done if NBC had renewed them? Left Hannibal?
That's the reason why Gaumont insisted on an early decision by NBC (the S3 renewal came much later during S2 than did the show's cancellation during S3). If it was renewed, they could keep the actors under contract and just film a few months later secure in the knowledge that the show would be safe.

But since it wasn't renewed and they couldn't reach a network/platform deal that would accommodate Fuller, here we are.

Cheer up, guys. Here's Richard Armitage and Hugh Dancy wearing flower crowns at San Diego Comic Con.

tumblr_nrfp0kYwlT1r0bnq5o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nrfp0kYwlT1r0bnq5o2_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nrfp0kYwlT1r0bnq5o3_r1_500.gif

Proposed gifset title: The Great Red Dragon and the Beast from the Sea

UGH. I've only seen gifs/pics of the panel because I'm kind of worried about watching it :\ I don't wanna get too sad :( Although I gotta say, I miss Hugh's floofy Will hair. JFC he's handsome. /sigh

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
UGH. I've only seen gifs/pics of the panel because I'm kind of worried about watching it :\ I don't wanna get too sad :( Although I gotta say, I miss Hugh's floofy Will hair. JFC he's handsome. /sigh

You should watch it. Bryan wears a Star Wars jacket.

stn

Questions based on last week's episode:

1. How the hell is Will still alive? 2. How were Will and Hannibal captured? The events just kind of fast-forwarded from Will getting his brain cut open to hanging in the back of a truck.

fastmower

1. How the hell is Will still alive? 2. How were Will and Hannibal captured? The events just kind of fast-forwarded from Will getting his brain cut open to hanging in the back of a truck.

1. Will's head wasn't cut all the way. Just a flesh wound. 2. I imagine that the inspector that Bedellia was talking to captured Hannibal and Will.

Hows this season been?

I watched the first episode but it didnt really grab me that much, decided to wait and binge watch a little.

It's...slow. It's basically been 60-70% brooding, slow-motion visual & aural experimentation and 30-40% plot/story. The first three episodes do fill in some gaps in the story (you find out what happened to who, you find a bit out about Hannibal and Bedelia's pasts) but you have to be patient. It's been frustrating for a lot of fans/viewers.

Then episode 4 happens, which is basically ALL plot/table-setting, ep 5 is mostly back to the slow pace with an AMAZING final 10-15 minutes, and ep 6 is a return to S2 episode framework.

I personally think the season premiere is the best of the "slow" episodes, so if you didn't like it, you're probably in for an up-and-down season.

You don't really think this won't be explained in next episode, do you?

I do think Fuller's choices in piecing together the first part of S3 have been flawed. I don't know why we haven't seen the truth about Bedelia's past--we got that tiny little arm-in-mouth sequence and that's it. Using that, and the info dump in ep 4, could have really helped flesh out and pace this season better.

Top Bottom