• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Kuroyume

Banned
I think part of the problem for those first few shows was the imaginary stuff. Is this person actually dead, or is it an illusion? What's real? What's not? When is this happening in the timeline? Etc.

basik

I'm sorry but this season sucks... its so slow and all this art house imagery instead of moving the plot along...I cant blame them for cancelling this show... anybody who isnt a fan and tunes in to watch a random episode like this latest one is probably gonna be bored off their ass and wondering wtf is going on.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, they basically committed suicide with this season. This reminds me of that Brad Garret sitcom's final season in a weird way. Like, they knew they were getting cancelled, knew they couldn't attract new viewers, so just went all in with the weird.

A move to Saturdays isn't what killed Hannibal. The show is completely inaccessible to anyone new at this point. By design.

Ashok

Banned
I'm sorry but this season sucks... its so slow and all this art house imagery instead of moving the plot along...I cant blame them for cancelling this show... anybody who isnt a fan and tunes in to watch a random episode like this latest one is probably gonna be bored off their ass and wondering wtf is going on.

How on earth is S3 "slow"? Thus far I would say the only remotely slow episodes are 301 and 302. I can't tell any difference from the rest of the episodes versus S1 and S2. It's just the same show with the same characters. Season 3 is imho the strongest season thus far. 305 and 306 were about as hi-octane as a TV series can possibly get. I can't even think of anything else that ever moved "faster" except from maybe 24 and Prison Break --- or Sleepy Hollow, lol.

And I would HOPE people watching the show randomly would be confused. The show is serialized. If Hannibal was a lame CSI style show, then yes, by all means cancel it.

I mean, they basically committed suicide with this season. This reminds me of that Brad Garret sitcom's final season in a weird way. Like, they knew they were getting cancelled, knew they couldn't attract new viewers, so just went all in with the weird.

A move to Saturdays isn't what killed Hannibal. The show is completely inaccessible to anyone new at this point. By design.

You're making a lot of assumptions, though, namely that they KNEW it was going to be canceled while they were not only editing, but shooting S3.

S3 premiere's viewership was pretty damned low, if I recall. You can't really blame that on "people don't like the new season" considering it was the first episode and reviews of the first three episodes were good, if not great.

It's also kind of amusing that now we're hearing the "well, if a viewer tunes into a random S3 episode, they're going to be put off/lost". As if that wouldn't have applied to Season 2, or even Season 1?

-griffy-

Banned
You're making a lot of assumptions, though, namely that they KNEW it was going to be canceled while they were not only editing, but shooting S3.

S3 premiere's viewership was pretty damned low, if I recall. You can't really blame that on "people don't like the new season" considering it was the first episode and reviews of the first three episodes were good, if not great.

Yeah, I mean, I think they kind of abandoned the idea of getting a bunch of new viewers for a meteoric rise in ratings, but I think they were hoping for the ratings to stay around the 1.0 range the show did last year, which seemed to be in the zone where the cost/benefit still made sense to NBC to keep the show around. Season 2 premiere was a 1.1 but the finale was already a 0.8. The Season 3 premiere was a series low 0.7, and last week was a 0.4. It's not like the show just fell off based on the reaction to this season, it's already been on a downward trajectory.

Wow, NBC sucks. They did the same thing with Crossbones when I was watching it. They have a habit of putting these shows in bad time slots and then blame the show when it does poorly.

NBC sucks because they're going to air the rest of the season of a canceled show that is getting a 0.4 rating?

Air it at 7am on Sundays for all I care, my DVR will still record it.

Air it at 7am on Sundays for all I care, my DVR will still record it.
I just had a fit of unjustifiably loud laughter at the thought of this show furtively tucked in between airings of "Meet the Press" and "Jane Seymour's Secret to Youthful Looking Skin"
lol.gif

BBboy20

LL2IoK1.jpg

I told him the season 2 finale made me convinced he made the best show on TV. His assistant(?) told me I had the best reaction despite only arriving after the signings were over and being briefly there.

I don't think I will ever get another chance to tell a showrunner that again.

Monocle

LL2IoK1.jpg

I told him the season 2 finale made me convinced he made the best show on TV. His assistant(?) told me I had the best reaction despite only arriving after the signings were over and being briefly there.

I don't think I will ever get another chance to tell a showrunner that again.
Awesome photo.

jonezer4

I think part of the problem for those first few shows was the imaginary stuff. Is this person actually dead, or is it an illusion? What's real? What's not? When is this happening in the timeline? Etc.

I think those were a blatant (and brilliant) way to keep it interesting while not much was actually going on.

I was so happy when we got a second season.
Not even disappointed the show is cancelled now. Season 3 was/is just bad. Sure, you can excuse everthing with "it's so artsy now". But there is a thing as bad art.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
If Season 3 ends with Hannibal escaping and leaving someone ambiguously dead I won't feel whole for a very long time.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If Season 3 ends with Hannibal escaping and leaving someone ambiguously dead I won't feel whole for a very long time.

"I do wish we could chat longer, but... I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye."

Chilton becomes Schrodinger's cat

Saty

Too much self-indulgence this season.

When did exactly Alana 'switch' all the of sudden to liking girls? Bizarrely and artificially squeezing Alana into that spot only to fill the part for the baby-making arc.

I get Jack's wanting to know for certain Will can put his bond with Hannibal behind him, but am i really to buy it as the reason he didn't easily chase Hannibal down and finish the job last ep? Sorta weak.

Have no problems with pace apart of overdrawn artistic shots. It's just a general feeling i have with this show of not finding my feet and sometimes getting lost in dialogues and exchanges especially surrounding Will and Lecter's relationships.

This is mostly because i forget so much info between seasons of this show. It really doesn't happen to me in other series, certainly not to the extent i've had with Hannibal. Poor by me.
All those elaborate shots and soundtrack -- i myself may be entranced while watching it.

I feel i will gain a lot from watching the entire series in succession when it's over.

Sai-kun

Banned
Too much self-indulgence this season.

When did exactly Alana 'switch' all the of sudden to liking girls? Bizarrely and artificially squeezing Alana into that spot only to fill the part for the baby-making arc.

I get Jack's wanting to know for certain Will can put his bond with Hannibal behind him, but am i really to buy it as the reason he didn't easily chase Hannibal down and finish the job last ep? Sorta weak.

Have no problems with pace apart of overdrawn artistic shots. It's just a general feeling i have with this show of not finding my feet and sometimes getting lost in dialogues and exchanges especially surrounding Will and Lecter's relationships.

This is mostly because i forget so much info between seasons of this show. It really doesn't happen to me in other series, certainly not to the extent i've had with Hannibal. Poor by me.
All those elaborate shots and soundtrack -- i myself may be entranced while watching it.

I feel i will gain a lot from watching the entire series in succession when it's over.

It's possible that she's always been bisexual :)

Zoe

Who said she actually "switched"?

Though considering her last two partners, I don't blame her at all.

I'm not crazy about how Alana has been used in either S2 or S3. She was one of my fav characters in S1.

I do like her more vengeful side (even if it is mostly for show) and loved the sex scene, haters be damned.

Saty

The Vergers' baby arc and the need of an uterus popped up just this ep and then minutes later we see Alana and the sister sleeping together when we had zero inkling anything was going on. And by the way the sex scene looked, the relationship isn't new so you can't argue that Margot is just now starting to temp Alana in some plan to have her carry the baby (leaving aside Alan's newly found taste in spouses).

I mean, what's the point of using Alana in this storyline? Literally because she's the the first woman they see? Ensnare someone else and unsuspecting. Alana should know better to distance herself from those two.

-griffy-

Banned
The baby/Verger heir arc has been around since last season. Margot slept with Will so she would get pregnant, thereby having the heir to the Verger estate instead of Mason, which led to Mason having her uterus removed. Now Mason wants an heir of his own. I got the impression that Margot and Alana were actually working against Mason behind his back, with Alana letting his resources get Hannibal back into the country so she could turn him over to the FBI.

The baby/Verger heir arc has been around since last season. Margot slept with Will so she would get pregnant, thereby having the heir to the Verger estate instead of Mason, which led to Mason having her uterus removed. Now Mason wants an heir of his own. I got the impression that Margot and Alana were actually working against Mason behind his back, with Alana letting his resources get Hannibal back into the country so she could turn him over to the FBI.

Yeah, there's no way they actually give Mason his baby, IMO. Dude is gonna get his soon.

Fuck this change to Saturday. They couldn't have waited until the next ep aired?

-griffy-

Banned
Uuuuuuugh, I want to watch it tonight.

Hoping that VOD services slip up and still make it available tomorrow.

I know, it's such bad timing on the move. Here's the final episode of the first half arc of the season, coming off an episode that ended in a deliberately confusing and almost out of sequence cliffhanger, giving a tease of the resolution to the arc. One more week and the extra days between episodes would have almost felt natural.

jonezer4

Then why didn't she formally issue a public announcement of this beforehand, perhaps with a casual "oh hey Will, about that murder we were discussing that you accused my boyfriend of, I'm bisexual"? Isn't that how it works with those people?

No, I'm fairly certain she just suddenly switched to being a lesbian last episode. Really poor writing all around.

I saw the deleted scenes for it. She held a well attended press conference during which she announced she was a bisexual. The media let out a collective, shocked gasp. Then Freddie Lounds was then all like, "PROOOVE IT!" and then Alana brought her onstage and made out with her.

Then Alana bit her lips off.

It was good, but I can see why they cut it. Didn't really fit with the rest of the show.

Monocle

I saw the deleted scenes for it. She held a well attended press conference during which she announced she was a bisexual. The media let out a collective, shocked gasp. Then Freddie Lounds was then all like, "PROOOVE IT!" and then Alana brought her onstage and made out with her.

Then Alana bit her lips off.

It was good, but I can see why they cut it. Didn't really fit with the rest of the show.
I really hope this ends up on the blu-ray, along with the scene where Hannibal explains what really happened to make him the way he is.

Spoiler: Hannibal's uncle lost him in a McDonald's Playland for a full 48 hours. When lil' Lecter emerged, he was... changed.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope this ends up on the blu-ray, along with the scene where Hannibal explains what really happened to make him the way he is.

Spoiler: Hannibal's uncle lost him in a McDonald's Playland for a full 48 hours. When lil' Lecter emerged, he was... changed.

This is why you never let your kids play in the ball pit.

Top Bottom