• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Endings Season 2 |OT| Get drunk and eat ribs in this topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Loved the finale. Cant believe its over already.
What a great season. It was so much better than last season and thats saying something because I loved last season.

So great. Amazing season of TV.

Caspe said he thinks it'll be within the month.

And related: this grantland article is even better than the above vulture article.

Loved reading those. Thanks.

"You love abbreviations on Happy Endings. Is the ultimate scene in your mind one where your characters don’t say a single full word? Is there ever a thing as too many abbrevs?

Yes, there is definitely a feeling of too many. I think we have reached critical mass on abbreviations. We’re never looking to put them in, you know. Sometimes they happen: People just write them when it sounds funny, or when they seem to make sense. But we pretty quickly this year felt like, “Okay, this is kind of annoying now.” So our only way would to do it would be to make fun of it. In the Valentine’s Day episode, a guy breaks up with Penny because she abbreviates everything. She says, “He hated it when I said 'ahmazing,' but I barely even said it this season.” And then Max says, “Do you mean winter?” And she says, “Yeah, it’s more of a summer word.” So that was us basically saying we know this is kind of annoying, and we’re going to stop doing it. That being said, we hit it one more time in the finale. But it could be the last time Penny says “amahzing.” "

No!

TripOpt55

This is has been my favorite season for a comedy show in a few years. Really liked it. I've never really been into the whole Dave/Penny angle for some reason, but I liked the finale otherwise.

ivysaur12

Banned
Loved the finale. Cant believe its over already.
What a great season. It was so much better than last season and thats saying something because I loved last season.

Loved reading those. Thanks.

No!

Abrevs has run its course. Good choice by Caspe.

We had an interesting conversation today about the show. Of the people I work with, three of us love it, one hates it, and one thinks that it lost its core since season one. Which is weird, because I think that it was still trying to find itself in its first season.

The point he was making was that the show has "broadened" from doing shit like making fun of hipsters to putting Max in a bear costume. My argument was that I don't know what world he lives in if an entire episode based on Punxsutawney Phil is somehow "broad"...

My other central point is that the show has refined what made it so good in the first place, worked on where it needs to improve, without losing the heart that made the show so good in the first place: the central character relationships that work so well off each other. I also think the show is moving in a terrific direction - what are your thirties? What is that uncertainty?

I also think there's a certain level of animosity towards the show from those that don't like it unrelated to its quality, but that's for another time!

Magnus

Amazing finale, great stuff. Loved the final shot too.

If I have one complaint with this show, it's the sometimes ridiculous overly-verbose lines; they occasionally just plain collapse under the sheer quantity of words the actor's gotta get out. It's usually marvelous, but sometimes a train wreck. The worst offender was the Couple-Friends episode a month ago. Just awful.

Still my second favorite comedy on the telly, right after New Girl. Somehow, they both supplanted Community for me this year; didn't expect that at all.

CzarTim

NfLKc.jpg

zeitgeist

I love that they referenced all of Penny's dialogue-only boyfriends. I wish that gag would stick around but I guess the writers think it is time to move on.

ivysaur12

Banned
Best news is that a full makes the chances for a season 4 much greater.

Also, fuck yeah the best show on ABC getting renewed.

TripOpt55

This was my favorite comedy this season. Really happy about the renewal. Could have sworn we celebrated about the renewal in here before though... haha.

ivysaur12

Banned
Not if it crashes and burns without an MF lead in, though :(

It did well enough without it. It'll be fine. It's got enough of a core audience to be a 1.8-2.2 show. That's all it needs for a season 4 and 5. It's also ABC favorite show, along with Suburgatory. That gives it some slight leeway.

Guzim

It did well enough without it. It'll be fine. It's got enough of a core audience to be a 1.8-2.2 show. That's all it needs for a season 4 and 5. It's also ABC favorite show, along with Suburgatory. That gives it some slight leeway.

I've caught Suburgatory here and there. I like it a lot. I should watch all the episodes on Hulu+. Also, Jane Levy <3

ivysaur12

Banned
I've caught Suburgatory here and there. I like it a lot. I should watch all the episodes on Hulu+. Also, Jane Levy <3

Suburgatory and Happy Endings are the two best ABC shows, Happy Endings with the slight edge. Two of my favorite shows on right now and I wouldn't be surprised if Suburgatory gets a nice fanbase next year.

beat

Suburgatory and Happy Endings are the two best ABC shows, Happy Endings with the slight edge. Two of my favorite shows on right now and I wouldn't be surprised if Suburgatory gets a nice fanbase next year.

Suburgatory's charming, but a bit of a mess with characterization IMO. Happy Endings > Apt 23 >> Suburgatory.

ivysaur12

Banned
Suburgatory's charming, but a bit of a mess with characterization IMO. Happy Endings > Apt 23 >> Suburgatory.

Let's just save the drama for Michelle Obama, k?

Thread titles we could do:

"So Cyute."
"A bunch of criminals and sex addicts with terrible judgement"
"Bitch, it is Season 3! Bitch, it's (date and timeslot)!"
"Party in Your Rear"
"Save the drama for Michelle Obama"
"That Russo Brothers comedy you're not watching but should"

This thread is responsible for introducing me to this show, and now having watched all of season 1 and the back end of season 2, I just wanted to say, thanks! Can't wait for season 3, and season 2 DVD!

CzarTim

Let's just save the drama for Michelle Obama, k?

Thread titles we could do:

"So Cyute."
"A bunch of criminals and sex addicts with terrible judgement"
"Bitch, it is Season 3! Bitch, it's (date and timeslot)!"
"Party in Your Rear"
"Save the drama for Michelle Obama"
"That Russo Brothers comedy you're not watching but should"

"Save the drama for Michelle Obama" wins

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm interested in ABC's schedule tomorrow. Since they apparently hate their new comedies (I've heard "lame", "boring", "ew", and "13 and done"), I'm curious to see what goes behind Modern Family...

Salaadin

I DVR everything so I can skip commercials.

But then how do you go pee or refill the popcorn bowl!

I just realized that Dont Trust the B is coming on after this now too. I kinda sorta like that show too. My Tuesdays are going to be packed.

Wednesday seems so dull now without Happy Endings.

ivysaur12

Banned
Here's the season two order:

1 - Blax, Snake, Home
2 - Baby Steps
3 - Yesandwich
4 - Secrets and Limos
5 - Spooky Endings
6 - Lying Around
8 - Full Court Dress
7 - The Code War
9 - Grinches Be Crazye
19 - You Snooze, You Bruise
10 - The Shrink, The Dare, Her Date and Her Brother
12 - Makin' Changes!
13 - The St. Valentine's Day Maxssacre
11 - Meet The Parrots
14 - Everybody Loves Grant
15 - The Butterfly Effect Effect
16 - Cocktails & Dreams
17 - The Kerkovich Way
18 - Party of Six
20 - Big White Lies
22 - KickBall 2: The Kickening
21 - Four Weddings and a Funeral (Minus Three Weddings and One Funeral)

big ander

Was good to have another episode of this. Matt Walsh's announcer and Scotty were great, everyone was hilarious (I though Dave's ridiculous kickball yips were the best), Casey Wilson was in yoga pants and Eliza Coupe was in short shorts, and the field advertised Lou Malnati's. Oh, and LANCE BRIGGS. Who was awesome.

"That's how you keep the core tight!" "Heard that." "No you didn't."

Something about the delivery of "Uh! If you can't trust an auto body shop who can you trust?" killed me.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
^ Agreed. LOVED the kickball episode. Penny was looking extra delicious in that ep. And Scotty is a fantastic character. Hope he sticks around.

My favorite part was Matt Walsh's character announcing "Dave Rose? But he's terrible". :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
when does this start airing again?

September, most likely. Whenever Dancing with the Stars premieres.

^ Agreed. LOVED the kickball episode. Penny was looking extra delicious in that ep. And Scotty is a fantastic character. Hope he sticks around.

My favorite part was Matt Walsh's character announcing "Dave Rose? But he's terrible". :lol

He'll never be a regular, but Scotty and Dereck will be fun recurring characters to populate their weird little Chicago universe with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom