• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harada explains why Tekken 7 has no tutorial (story mode replaced it)

FSLink

Banned
The community has always shown they're great at making tutorials/sharing tech and stuff, I'm baffled no company has attempted put these together and make a hub in-game to share combos/tutorials/etc. I always learned best when learning with other people, but for veterans/newbies alike it's kinda annoying have to dig through forums/Tweets/Youtube for tech and tutorials...why not make it more accessible by making it in-game?

"Hey I found this new Ryu combo, here, you can view it as a trial within the game and you can slow it down, play it, attempt it, etc" Have ability to link to Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Make it kinda like a FGC Miiverse.

nded

People are going to have to be clear about what they think the goal of a built-in fighting game tutorial should be. Should the tutorial simply be a clear and comprehensive explanation of the game's rules and mechanics or should it be geared towards making new players "competitive"?

I'm okay with games having the former and leaving the more in-depth things to the community and youtube videos. What is and isn't useful to know in order to play at a competitive level can change at any moment as players discover things and a game's meta evolves over time. I do think there are ways to more closely integrate community contributions and strategies into a game. Maybe a way for players to make and distribute annotated replays and trials?

Tain

People are going to have to be clear about what they think the goal of a built-in fighting game tutorial should be. Should the tutorial simply be a clear and comprehensive explanation of the game's rules and mechanics or should it be geared towards making new players "competitive"?

I'm okay with games having the former and leaving the more in-depth things to the community and youtube videos. What is and isn't useful to know in order to play at a competitive level can change at any moment as players discover things and a game's meta evolves over time. I do think there are ways to more closely integrate community contributions and strategies into a game. Maybe a way for players to make and distribute annotated replays and trials?

I was just thinking that a great but hard to implement next-level tutorial feature would be a button you could press post match that would cause the game to review the last match, recognize certain events, and offer advice about them. This would be real work to implement and it would be imperfect, but even knowing that it sounds more useful than traditional tutorial modes.

Making it easy to give constructive feedback through replay annotation would also be a good idea, but you’d need strict moderation.

Harada: Should we spend money on the narrator and still drawings or a tutorial mode? Well capcom just got fucked cause they didn't have a story we have to stitch one together. Cut the tutorial mode, give me more silly customization items and neon clothing!

Oneself

I remember being impressed by Tekken 2's amazing tutorial / practice mode. A first for fighting games!

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

JayEH

lol. sure.

Game doesn't do anything to teach you basic mechanics. I don't need GG levels of tutorial (or even the TTT2 stuff) but at least something that explain different wake up options, screw attacks, etc.

Slayven

Man Tekken use to be great. The feel of unlocking a character after a long 10 match battle and cheesy cut scene

Nice try. Games like Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator have both a great story mode and a fantastic tutorial (best in fighting games imo) while Tekken 7 has a story mode that's worse than no story mode.

I think calling Guilty Gears story mode great is a little generous. It's clear a lot of effort went into it, but the writing is pretty appalling most of the time, and it Xrd's sequels didn't even get the full localisation treatment.

I also think you missed the point. He's saying "our analytics data shows that people don't play tutorial modes, so we put more focus into the story instead"

Which is a very fair argument. If their data showed that people weren't playing it, it makes sense to put less work into that feature. I mean it still has a training mode and lots of options, just not an explicit, in-depth tutorial.

The community has always shown they're great at making tutorials/sharing tech and stuff, I'm baffled no company has attempted put these together and make a hub in-game to share combos/tutorials/etc. I always learned best when learning with other people, but for veterans/newbies alike it's kinda annoying have to dig through forums/Tweets/Youtube for tech and tutorials...why not make it more accessible by making it in-game?

"Hey I found this new Ryu combo, here, you can view it as a trial within the game and you can slow it down, play it, attempt it, etc" Have ability to link to Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Make it kinda like a FGC Miiverse.

I think this would make a lot of sense. The devs can't hope to keep up with the knowledge uncovered by hundreds of thousands of players, and the devs also don't want to shape how players play the game too much (for instance, they probably wouldn't want to teach plinking in SFIV, because it's quite a weird mechanical technique and likely not the original design intent). So instead, leveraging the community to spotlight videos tutorials would be a great way of teaching people how to play the game.

Uncharted 4 did a little of that, not a fighting game, but it had a live video player on its front page that would often focus on tip videos and things like that. Integrating fighting games more with their community seems like a good option.

JusDoIt

Xrd has a great tutorial but players don't want to do homework to play a game.

Ideally, fighting games would teach players how to play like Mario and Zelda games do: intuitively. The game shouldn't make it obvious you're going through a tutorial.

Of course, I have absolutely no idea how to do that for fighting games.

Fighting games are always gonna require "homework" to fully understand because they're too mechanically complex.

This is not necessarily a design flaw. Sports sims are the same way.

The design challenge for fighting games is to have the depth slope not be too steep. There shouldn't be a 90 degree cliff separating the button mashing casual from the grand master.

I'm not sure how to do that in a fighting game either, though.

Reasoning sounds kind of half ass. Sure you can spam EWGF in story mode and figure out it is a damn good move but that doesn't teach you the basics of the game. For example, I had to teach a friend his getup options off the ground and he beat story mode, because they don't tell you anywhere in the game. Even if you lab up, will a novice figure out what the difference between a mid and special mid is? It's not written anywhere in game. How about something like the low parry? I don't think someone new to the series would intuitively figure that one out, since the natural instinct is to press back from an attack rather forward at it and there is no mention such a mechanic even exists. Even if people don't play fight lab in TTT2, stuff like this should at least mention the game mechanics in the game, MVCI at least has the courtesy to do that.

ZangBa

I learned a lot about Tekken during the part where I got to shoot people with a gun. Now I incorporate guns into all my Akumer combos. If it wasn't for Aris, I wouldn't know shit about some of the deeper aspects of the game.

learning certain mechanics is one thing. Having that info stay with you is another. I picked Josie cuz with her small move set you could easily break down Tekken's fundamentals.
Man Tekken use to be great. The feel of unlocking a character after a long 10 match battle and cheesy cut scene
I personally don't feel the need to unlock stuff anymore. Maybe a cheesy cutscene but overall I'm good. Fighting games don't do that anymore and it's not what attracts me to them. But then again I'm somewhat invested in the FGC scene so my priorities with what I want out of a fighter have changed.

Kaleinc

Banned
That's a good way to put it. Fighting games still have a problem where learning how to play feels like homework.
If they made a fighting game with only one motion - dp, and one button - k would you find me some noobs who could consistently play this one motion stuff from both sides without 'homework'. Actually scratch that - let's go with hcf only.
Well it's Tekken so it's immune to criticism.

Only Capcom games get dozens of negative headlines and threads, that's the rules
No, the reason is nobody cares about Tekken.

WarRock

If they made a fighting game with only one motion - dp, and one button - k would you find me some noobs who could consistently play this one motion stuff from both sides without 'homework'. Actually scratch that - let's go with hcf only.
Have you ever heard of Persona 4 Arena?

Slayven

learning certain mechanics is one thing. Having that info stay with you is another. I picked Josie cuz with her small move set you could easily break down Tekken's fundamentals.

I personally don't feel the need to unlock stuff anymore. Maybe a cheesy cutscene but overall I'm good. Fighting games don't do that anymore and it's not what attracts me to them. But then again I'm somewhat invested in the FGC scene so my priorities with what I want out of a fighter have changed.

That fine, but they can't complain if the fighter doesn't sale to a wider audience. I think the gulf between the FGC and people that just want to play fighting games is so wide that trying to please both is a recipe to failure

Xrd has a great tutorial but players don't want to do homework to play a game.

Ideally, fighting games would teach players how to play like Mario and Zelda games do: intuitively. The game shouldn't make it obvious you're going through a tutorial.

Of course, I have absolutely no idea how to do that for fighting games.

You can't.

Games like Mario can do that because there's only like 3 options in Mario. This is how the often praised MMX intro level works to. It teaches you by presenting an obstacle in which only one of those options allows you to progress and in the process you learn how it works.

Fighting games can't work like that because not only are there too many options, but solutions to certain situations aren't defined by the developer. How players use tools is up to the players, who can sometimes find multiple solutions to the same situation that the developers never intended nor could imagine. There's no way to teach people that.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

They tried this with Fight Lab in Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

The lesson learned from Fight Lab is that disguising your tutorial as something else means people don't carry the lessons they've learned into regular fights, even if they've demonstrated they understand the concepts.

Yeah.

I think the problem is tutorials are treated as just a game mode. People are "completing" them, but not really learning or retaining anything from the experience that they can actually apply to the real game.

ArcSys games have tutorials where they do sort of explain things in depth, but at the end of they day they're just interactive wiki dumps. Players aren't retaining information presented like that with just one run through the modes.

With Tekken I'm not surprised. There's so much better tutorials online. Hell Tekken fundamentals don't changed too much so you can easily use T6/Tag 2 online/video tutorials to help learn Tekken.
Plus Tekken/3D fighters just have a lot to learn, an actual tutorial mode would have to be super in depth.

David___

Banned
You can't.

Games like Mario can do that because there's only like 3 options in Mario. This is how the often praised MMX intro level works to. It teaches you by presenting an obstacle in which only one of those options allows you to progress and in the process you learn how it works.

Fighting games can't work like that because not only are there too many options, but solutions to certain situations aren't defined by the developer. How players use tools is up to the players, who can sometimes find multiple solutions to the same situation that the developers never intended nor could imagine. There's no way to teach people that.

FG also cant work like Zelda and Mario since level design is non existent. You always face another person and either walk/dash towards them or walk back. Any other game can have tailored made levels that eases people in how the game works.

Surfside

Banned
Tutorials in fighters are great. Every single one of them should have them. They help you save time, as you otherwise have to search the interwebs for info. Most of which you will have to collect from different places, which is tedious.

Next he should explain why T7 is incredibly shittier to play and has less content/characters compared to TTT2.

You know damn well why TTT2 has more characters than T7.

Anyways, this is one of the few times Harada may have a point. I never saw how tutorials really add to anything in an age where a nice practice mode and YouTube can get you much farther than any tutorial mode will.

The latter actually requires effort and a want to learn the game which actually means you're gonna progress, tutorials always end up as check lists at the end of the day and info doesn't stick the way it should.

It is? But.....why? It has orders of magnitudes worse content, and Tag 2 having a tutorial worth a damn made the core gameplay easier to get in to in Tag 2 as well.

Idk maybe it's the gameplay and direct story mode people enjoy more than anything in TTT2. Just a thought.

I hate defending T7s shortcomings but some of this stuff is obvious if you were around during TTT2

MightyKAC

It is? But.....why? It has orders of magnitudes worse content, and Tag 2 having a t7torial worth a damn made the core gameplay easier to get in to as well.

Tag 2's main draw was also one of its main flaws, learning 2 different characters as well as there interactions with specific situations and then swapping them on the fly turned out to be a tough ask for all but the most hard core. Also T7 is a much more forgiving game than Tag 2 was. Players without a lot of legacy knowledge had a much better chance to compete against those that had it.

And to top it all off, T7 is a MUCH better game to watch for spectators than pretty much any other Tekken before IT thanks to Rage Arts / Drives and slo mo finishes.

I'm with you guys in wishing there was a tutorial mode. I feel like it's exclusion was more for time and budgetary reasons than Harada is letting on.

Kumubou

Did I miss the talking points memo from Capcom trying to explain why Tekken 7 should be lambasted for similar faults Street Fighter 5 had? Bunch of people in this thread bringing up the same points and uh... there's a big difference between a game launching with 16 characters and almost no single player content and launching with 35 characters and a few single player modes. I have no issue with anyone not liking the single player offerings in Tekken 7, but there's still a big difference between how the two games launched.

(And for anyone who wants a bunch of unlockable characters, go run a big fighting game event and then tell me that's a good idea. It's a giant pain in the ass for offline play and I'm glad most fighting game developers have done away with it.)

He's bullshitting but seriously a tutorial isn't going to make you good at fighting games. YouTube and training mode exist.
I think a thorough tutorial can actually do a decent job of showing people the game's rules and what they should be doing, in a general sense. If you went through all of the various training and tutorial modes in VF4:Evo's PS2 port along with the adventure mode, you're going to have a decent idea of how the core mechanics work along with several core skills (such as juggles, hit confirms, punishing, how throw breaks work, various defensive OSs, etc.). You're not going to win Nationals with that but at that point you have more than enough to work with to play real opponents and be able to do stuff.

...the problem is that doing all of that is a lot of work for both the developer and even the player trying to learn all of that.

VF4's tutorial is the perfect "if a tree falls in the forest" example for fighters.
It really is -- I actually think VF4:Evo's training, tutorial and challenge mode actually hurt the series in the long run, as it was around then when the game really got its reputation for being hyper-technical. It's no more technical than any other solid fighting game (such as Tekken or Guilty Gear), but the home version of VF4:Evo made this apparent in a way that no fighting game did before (or since, really).

Ultimately, the only people who really engage with such in-depth tutorial content are the people who would be driven enough to learn the game to begin with. Fighting games need to get better about onboarding and retaining newer players, but I don't think a huge info dump like the ArcSys games is that much of a help.

(We're also going to get another example of this when Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] gets released in the US, as that game has a rather long and involved tutorial and challenge mode.)

It is? But.....why? It has orders of magnitudes worse content, and Tag 2 having a tutorial worth a damn made the core gameplay easier to get in to in Tag 2 as well.
Does TTT2 really have magnitudes of more content? Where? In the endings? (That must have cost a pretty penny to make and typically just get watched on Youtube?) The characters? (TTT2's roster is bloated as all hell with all of the clones) Fight Lab? (Fight Lab was a rather poor tutorial/single player experience, IMO.)

I'm not going to claim that T7 is just bursting with content, but I don't think there's a huge difference between it and TTT2.

Next he should explain why T7 is incredibly shittier to play and has less content/characters compared to TTT2.
Uh

Do you want to bother explain why/how T7 plays "incredibly shitty" compared to TTT2 or are you just going to drop a baseless hot take? I could see why some diehard Tekken players would rather have TTT2 (TTT2's combo system is wild and has very loose movement) but I really do think most of the system changes made from TTT2 to T7 are for the better.

MechaX

I don't see how learning a fighter with your mind set towards online play is ever not going to feel like work. Shit's complicated.

It's always going to be work to some extent, but the key is making the learning stage organic enough where it doesn't necessarily feel like work.

VF4's mode is still the king for this because it knew not to overwhelm the players (as good as Rev 2's tutorial is, it is still one hell of an info dump that's still going to turn away some players on the fence), and knew when to be like "just play the game; dick around in the single player stuff, do whatever, we'll drop the tips at appropriate points and everything will fall into place as you play."

Retention has always been a big issue for casual FG folks, so of course you would need incentives to keep them around to just play, if not to ease them onto online.

That's easier said than done, I totally get that. But in Tekken 7, you wouldn't even know how to fucking get up off the ground properly if you stuck solely with what the game tells you (or doesn't tell you). They would have been better off just including a tutorial section to direct links to Aris's videos for all the effort they put into story being any semblance of a tutorial.

I'm curious how the new Under Night handled it's tutorial.

We had this discussion three years ago and my answer on this hasn't changed at all :

What I don't like about this video is that it asks for tutorials that are breaking the wall of things you need to learn, so you can take time to learn them, memorize them all. Many games already did it: VF4, DOA5U, Skullgirls, even MK9 and Killer Instinct. In Skullgirls you have a tutorial explaining to you that you need to jump over a projectile runing on the ground, a tutorial explaining to you what is hit confirm, etc...

The problem is : nobody likes tutorials that lasts more than 20 minutes. Nobody except for MMOs players like grinding like the video suggests. You could very well put tutorials in story modes (it already exists) but if you are not good enough or don't care because you actually like the story more than the game (hello BlazBlue), you can't continue and you stop playing the game without being able to learn how to play or how the story ends.
Of course we can have tutorials like VF4E and DOA5U where the game explains to you what, why, how. But if you did played them, you know exactly what went wrong : you forgot what you learned one hour earlier, because you didn't practice enough each mechanic the tutorial teached you and because they are too many mechanics. So the solution would be to unlock the next tutorial only if you accept to play one week of footsies so you finally get it ? But who the hell would buy a game and them accept to do this ? It will never happen.

And that's where the problem is: you can't teach fighting game with a one hour tutorial because it takes way too much time. You can give players information about how things works, but that's all. Because you can only learn this kind of game by trial and error, repetition, and by encountering situations you don't know and trying to understand them by reading again the mechanics and taking a step back about what you did.

To me teaching fighting game is like teaching how to drive. You know a wheel turn the car. You know that if you'll go too far in a curve, you'll hit the sidewalk. You'll not turn it enough or too much sometimes. But can you give people 10 hours of class just for the wheel by creating a space where all kinds of turns exists? Nope, you'll teach them the wheel at the same time they'll learn to evaluate the distances, the size of the car, how to watch in mirrors, avoid people, in the real street. The wheel, as well as the engine, the brakes, how people react, how they drive, can't be teach by tutorials/challenges. You have to do it in real life, make mistakes, and having someone near you avoiding you being hurt and explaining to you what mistake you made, why you made it, and how not to do it.

That could fun of course ! But after one hour of lessons, your ego is tormented with your poor skills and you are exhausted by concentration. It's hard, you don't want to do it each day. It's not a game, it's school. You don't "play" school when going back home and put a disk in the console to relax. And that's why people force themselves to drive but not to play fighting games : driving is an essential part of life so you endure expensive lessons, fighting games are just a game you think as something fun that should be automatic and served on a plate, but is actually a new way of thinking by taking other people in consideration, acting with or against other people, controlling yourself in high stress moments. You need a coach and real life lessons to learn fighting games.

That's why League of Legends or Dota2 have so many players. First, real life lessons are free, as the games are free. Characters are way simpler than any fighting game characters and you pass from one to the other once you mastered one. You will fail a lot at the beginning, blame yourself and you team. But you can eventually win if your team is ok, so your ego is restored, you are less frustrated.
Because the most important thing about MOBAs is that since you are not playing only AGAINST people but WITH a team, you'll eventually make a lot of friends faster and learn faster as you can ask for help and among 4 players, you have more chances to have someone explaining things to you and progress. That's the same way you progress when you learn how to drive because the teacher is all yours for one hour of play. In any fighting game because it's one vs one, it's a 3 minute match, and the single person with you is actually your opponent who will not tell you how to play, you can't really learn.

So that's it for me : you can't learn fighting games without actually fighting for real. The game can teach you how to play from a theory perspective, but the only way to progress is fighting a real opponent, not being in a single player mode where you grind, do tutorials you forgot one hour later. Instead of doing tutorial, we should have modes that permits you and your opponent to focus on specific parts of the game. For example, being able to play online without using any special move or super but only normals, having a multiplayer mode where you take turns at attacking and garding. Even a mode where the ultra would be instant kill on touch could be could, as you would have to focus on ways of landing it.

But you always have to be with a human player or a coach sharing with you your lesson.

Tekken not only did absolutely nothing to teach new players but it didn't even come with a manual on PS4 detailing all the systems. I've played Tekken before but I still couldn't remember all the different wakeup options etc. I had to go trawling the internet for old TTT2/T6 guides (the community hasn't documented T7 yet).

Getting kinda tired of companies relying on the userbase to document their games/create some replacement for the paper manuals.

Manbig

Tekken not only did absolutely nothing to teach new players but it didn't even come with a manual on PS4 detailing all the systems. I've played Tekken before but I still couldn't remember all the different wakeup options etc. I had to go trawling the internet for old TTT2/T6 guides (the community hasn't documented T7 yet).

Getting kinda tired of companies relying on the userbase to document their games/create some replacement for the paper manuals.

In regards to the bolded, there is a fuckton of info out there on how to play this game, including in the OT here on GAF. If you haven't been able to find anything, then I seriously have to question how hard you were looking.

I just opened up youtube and typed "avoidingthepuddle tekken 7 floor" and got this on the first page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-PDc20Jezg

There is no shortage of information out there right now for this game. Namco Bandai had Markman hook people up for providing tutorials, so you can find tons of character specific guides out there, while Aris' channel explains a bunch of general mechanics.

Hell, I myself have been uploading my streams where I go through a characters whole movelist and explain how the moves work, and when they should be used, like this one for Gigas.

In regards to the bolded, there is a fuckton of info out there on how to play this game, including in the OT here on GAF. If you haven't been able to find anything, then I seriously have to question how hard you were looking.

I just opened up youtube and typed "avoidingthepuddle tekken 7 floor" and got this on the first page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-PDc20Jezg

There is no shortage of information out there right now for this game. Namco Bandai had Markman hook people up for providing tutorials, so you can find tons of character specific guides out there, while Aris' channel explains a bunch of general mechanics.

Hell, I myself have been uploading my streams where I go through a characters whole movelist and explain how the moves work, and when they should be used, like this one for Gigas.
I don't want a collection of assorted videos scattered over different sources. I'm speaking of wikis, system documentation, glossary etc (basically what would be in a manual). All the big sites stop at TTT2 or 6 with T7 sections full of essentially 'TODO'. Is a lot of it the same as TTT2. Probably, I don't know because it's not written anywhere. So yes, there is a shortage of documentation. Day 1 was even worse, there was next to nothing. This is on the developers though, they can't keep leaving it to the community to save a buck.

QSVNV9Y.png

Top Bottom