• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Hardware) July 2008 NPD Predictions - Closes August 8 @ 8 pm (countdown clock in OP)

Doesn't seem to be as much hype as previous months.... no doubt people enjoying the summer rather than sitting with popcorn in front of the PC!

Here's hoping that I won't have 500 errors come 11.30!

Wii under 600k? The fad is clearly over
Nintendo setting us up for the 1 million August megaton

sionyboy said:
Doesn't seem to be as much hype as previous months.... no doubt people enjoying the summer rather than sitting with popcorn in front of the PC!

Last July we had the excitement of the first PS3 price drop and the possibility of streams crossing.

sionyboy said:

The surprise has really been taken out of it. Wii and DS will dominate, PSP doesn't sell software, PS2 is still kickin, 360 and PS3 are slugging it out for the monthly lead.

For me the only thing to look forward to are the software breakdowns.

Come on Sony... do not let me down.

Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!

dice.jpg

Frillen

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Wii under 600k? The fad is clearly over
Nintendo setting us up for the 1 million August megaton

Last July we had the excitement of the first PS3 price drop and the possibility of streams crossing.

The Wii went up in July if you're looking at weeks vs weeks.

June: 133k per week
July: 138k per week

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Frillen said:
The Wii went up in July if you're looking at weeks vs weeks.

June: 133k per week
July: 138k per week
That wont stop certain websites/posters here from calling Wii as "falling like a stone month by month".

Anyway, could someone tell these guys it is summer, consoles sales are suppose dto go down, not up, bah, this holiday season is going to be fucking epic.

Opiate

Nintendo said:
NPD Data Shows Nintendo’ s Summer of Fun Isn’ t Done

Nintendo products kept people entertained in July, whether they wanted to get fit, rock out or just play around. According to the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States, Nintendo DS™ and Wii™ again claimed the top two hardware spots for July, with more than 608,000 DS units and more than 555,000 Wii units sold. Wii claimed a 49 percent share of all console sales in July, and extended its lead as the best-selling console of this generation. Nintendo DS represented a 73 percent share of hand-held sales in July.

Five games made for Nintendo systems placed in the top 10 best-selling games of the month, including Wii Fit ™ , with 369,603 units sold at No. 2; Guitar Hero ® : On Tour for Nintendo DS, with 309,695 units sold at No. 3; Wii Play ™ , with 284,035 units sold at No. 4; Mario Kart ® Wii , with 174,464 units sold at No. 7; and Rock Band for Wii, with 162,886 units sold at No. 8.

“ Great hardware goes hand-in-hand with great software,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’ s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “ Various types of games for the Nintendo systems are represented in the top 10, demonstrating how we continue to break down the barriers between veteran and new players.”

Something not on a Nintendo system is number 1 again this month. MGS4 holds the crown again? That would be quite impressive.

Jammy

Banned
Rock Band Wii has sold over 400,000.
Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii are still heavily supply constrained but are in the top ten.

I think August will be a big month for them.

iceatcs

Hmm, 360 on 2nd place! My ass!
DS and Wii should be either 1st and 2nd.

Maybe PSP on 3rd, then 360 or PS3

NeoUltima

My predictions got borked :(. I was treating July like a 5 week period like June was. The numbers on the right are what I should have had if I didn't make this mistake :(. I would have been pretty damn accurate(102 off).

[360] 220k --> 176k
[NDS] 740k --> 592k
[PS2] 180k --> 144k
[PS3] 280k --> 224k
[PSP] 280k --> 224k
[WII] 640k --> 512k

[360] +15k
[NDS] +7k
[PS2] +0k
[PS3] -10k
[PSP] +23k
[WII] +60k

Wii managed to f up my predictions again. This would be my best since I started pulling numbers from my ass. :lol

apujanata

rikitikitik said:
[360] +15k
[NDS] +7k
[PS2] +0k
[PS3] -10k
[PSP] +23k
[WII] +60k

Wii managed to f up my predictions again. This would be my best since I started pulling numbers from my ass. :lol

Mine :
[360] 15k
[NDS] 54k
[PS2] 5k
[PS3] 15k
[PSP] 38k
[WII] 85k

Overall, not too good, but also not too bad.

rikitikitik, you managed to get lots of profit on simExchange ? (since your prediction is very close)

botticus

[PS3] +50k
[PSP] +28k
[PS2] -15k
[360] +30k
[WII] -5k
[NDS] -8k

I will most definitely not complain. Unsurprisingly PS3 was my worst. I was too forgiving.

Top Bottom