• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, August 8th

To put it frankly the Xbox Division looks to be in pretty dire straights right now. Software out out looks fairly weak and Xbox Sales are slowing hard. And how much impact in the long run will a $500 price of hardware be able to raise the baseline?

They aren't in an enviable position imo.

Hydrargyrus

Idk how to manage a Xbox sized division, but in this situation releasing a 500€ iteration of your current not-successfully 250€ device doesn't seem the option of choice

To put it frankly the Xbox Division looks to be in pretty dire straights right now. Software out out looks fairly weak and Xbox Sales are slowing hard. And how much impact in the long run will a $500 price of hardware be able to raise the baseline?

The Xbox One X is going to put up some big numbers.

For two months.

Shin

Banned

I don't know man, for all their efforts (features) and what's not that ship just won't sail.
I'd be pleased if all 3 were doing well (because competition is good), as it stands Sony ain't doing shit but it's selling.
BC, refunds yada yada it all doesn't matter if you have enough games to entice buyers as proven since it's release.

joecanada

I know the numbers would be found out eventually. That would be naive.

Doesn't mean ethomaz had to copy paste the whole post except for the "No cross posting" part.

Not a huge deal problem, just more of a knee jerk "Really?" moment.

And hmmm, the Goon tag would be funny.

I disagree. If NeoGAF exists as the primary place for gaming discussion and sales talk how can we just pretend numbers don't exist if they're already out there? If someone else leaked numbers we should be able to discuss them openly if they're already out there. The alternative of hush , hush , wink did you see x numbers is pretty embarrassing for any news related site .

vivekTO

I'd be pleased if all 3 were doing well (because competition is good), as it stands Sony ain't doing shit but it's selling.

How? I think they are the only one who have a solid lineup of games through out this year, both exclusive or console exclusive. Is doing something is everything except releasing games?

Majmun

Idk how to manage a Xbox sized division, but in this situation releasing a 500€ iteration of your current not-successfully 250€ device doesn't seem the option of choice

Exactly what I've been saying since Scorpio price announcement.

People aren't buying the $250 version, why would they get the $500 one?

I won't buy the 4k argument.

jeffram

At the very least it will energize their core fanbase. From a business perspective, it's too little too late, but it will be something to feel good about for those invested in the brand.

I think that's a bit dramatic. They're no longer gauging success by Xbox hardware sales numbers, they've made that clear.

Secondly, do we know that third party software is actually doing poorly?

I think they'll be just fine. No need for all the doom and gloom.

I don't know man, for all their efforts (features) and what's not that ship just won't sail.
BC, refunds yada yada it all doesn't matter if you have enough games to entice buyers as proven since it's release.

Sony has been doing the most important thing .
Which is bringing out games and showing there upcoming games also .
Plus they do update there system OS even if it's not everything people want .
Along with price promotion \marketing at the right time .

Plus they do update there system software even if it's not everything people want .

I can't in good faith call that updating their system firmware. Sony's firmware updates are a big joke. But firmware doesn't sell consoles anyway.

On the software side, they've been doing well, but it's still mostly due to third parties who make de facto PS4 exclusives because there's no market in Japan for the Xbox.

Blam

Plus they do update there system OS even if it's not everything people want .

I think you mean. Making choices nobody wants, never implementing things people do want. Getting Jim Ryan out for their stupid choices. making bad public statements.

Showing games years before they are even given a release date. Putting out System Updates which rarely bring useful console features. I mean seriously if 5.0 is as bad as those leaked patch notes I"m seriously done.

I can't in good faith call that updating their system firmware. Sony's firmware updates are a big joke. But firmware doesn't sell consoles anyway.

On the software side, they've been doing well, but it's still mostly due to third parties who make de facto PS4 exclusives because there's no market in Japan for the Xbox.
What difference does it make?

Rymuth

I think that's a bit dramatic. They're no longer gauging success by Xbox hardware sales numbers, they've made that clear.

Software-wise, they have virtually no presence in the EU where even games like Farming Simulator on PS4 sells more than 1st party games on Xbox One.

I can't in good faith call that updating their system firmware. But firmware doesn't sell consoles anyway.

Sony biggest game this year was the one they made HZD .
Along with publishing Nioh and making crash remake happen , doing price cut at the right time etc etc .
If MS was doing better in EU they would have gotten some of those games just like last gen .

I think you mean. Making choices nobody wants, never implementing things people do want. Getting Jim Ryan out for their stupid choices. making bad public statements.

Showing games years before they are even given a release date. Putting out System Updates which rarely bring useful console features. I mean seriously if 5.0 is as bad as those leaked patch notes I"m seriously done.

People don't care if they show they games years in advance once they come out and they good .
In fact some of us do like seeing what games going to come out even if it takes a while .
System update 4 and 4.5 have features i use so each to there own .

What difference does it make?

It matters because people are crediting Sony for the software support when they should be crediting the third parties who release games like Nier and Persona. Sony has released good games like Horizon, but it's not like this torrent of exclusive games is all their doing.

Software-wise, they have virtually no presence in the EU where even games like Farming Simulator on PS4 sells more than 1st party games on Xbox One.

I didn't know this, but I think MS's main focus is on the US market and I doubt that's happening here.

mejin

Numbers has been leaked few hours ago :p

Hardware:
NSW: 222K
PS4: 217K (+34.7%)
3DS: 105K (-44.3%)

Software:
PS4: 2299K (+52.0%)
NSW: 736K
3DS: 384K (-49.2%)

Splatoon 2 #1 332k

PS4 doing great is so good. Keep the games coming!

cakely

*snort*.

I will be mildly disappointed if 5.0 doesn't contain some additional cool features, but previous firmware updates have given us Remote Play, folders, external hard drives, HDR, and Boost Mode.

Unless 5.0 actually removes functionality (it won't) I'll get over it.

As long as you don't care about major genres.

Which genres are missing?

There are action/adventure, racing, platform, RPG, strategy, shooting, fighting, etc. The only one that I think is somewhat lacking is sports, but there are multiplatform titles like FIFA and NBA 2K (for some reason Madden isn't joining the party).

Welfare

I think they'll be just fine. No need for all the doom and gloom.
How can Xbox Live MAU and software sales grow if no new consumers buy the hardware? I wouldn't be shocked if PS4 sold more in the US this month than what XB1 sold WW.

Tratorn

If those games would sell on XBox outside of japan, they'd release on XBox. But they don't, since there is also no big market for them outside of japan. And that's the fault of MS by not building an audience for that particular audience. And at the same time Sony did a good job with showing that this audience exists on PlayStation (4).

So no, those games are not only exclusive to PS4 because XBox has no market in japan.

Behlel

Which genres are missing?

There are action/adventure, racing, platform, RPG, strategy, shooting, fighting, etc. The only one that I think is somewhat lacking is sports, but there are multiplatform titles like FIFA and NBA 2K (for some reason Madden isn't joining the party).
FPS, Western RPG, MMO, Sport. It's not only the lack of genres but the lack of the big games of the genres like COD, Battlefront and Destiny for FPS, TW3 for W RPG, FF XIV and other f2p titles, a full version of fifa. It's a Wii situation again and that's not cool at all.

allan-bh

You are being ridiculous... next time I post the "No cross posting" to you fell better.

DAT bubble.

Why copy/past if the leaker is asking for not doing that?

It's better to respect their wish than never having the numbers, unless you have private access and don't care if other people will know numbers or not.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
I'd be pleased if all 3 were doing well (because competition is good)

This line of thinking is flawed.

What you are seeing is the result of competition in the marketplace. If consumers as a whole are deciding not to buy a product because they are purchasing another similar product that they deem to be better value, that is competition in action. An undesirable product should not sell as well as a more desirable one.

Where is that Y2Kev post when you need it?

FPS, Western RPG, MMO, Sport. It's not only the lack of genres but the lack of the big games of the genres like COD, Battlefront and Destiny for FPS, TW3 for W RPG, FF XIV and other f2p titles, a full version of fifa. It's a Wii situation again and that's not cool at all.

I mean, it's only completely missing two of those genres (FPS and MMO). And I actually think FFXIV has a decent chance of coming to Switch based on SE's comments and support for the system.

Regardless, I think the lineup as it is is more than enough to be called solid. Especially given the quality/quantity of exclusives.

Shin

Banned

What you are seeing is the result of competition in the marketplace. If consumers as a whole are deciding not to buy a product because they are purchasing another similar product that they deem to be better value, that is competition in action. An undesirable product should not sell as well as a more desirable one.

Not flawed, by that I meant if they were both selling well they'd be battling it out with features.
Right now that's pretty much non-existent (well one is going all out while the other isn't because they don't seem to see the need for it).
In that sense it's good they compete, be it features, price, games, everything we gain the benefit of it all in the end.

OT: this is the 2nd time XBox sold under 100k, how many times did PS4 hit that (if at all)?
Because as someone said it already ain't doing that great at $250 price point, but there's a $500 machine coming up.

bryanee

Why copy/past if the leaker is asking for not doing that?

It's better to respect their wish than never having the numbers, unless you have private access and don't care if other people will know numbers or not.

They posted that shit on a public forum open to everyone.

Some of you need to stop being so ridiculous regarding this. If the leaker is that concerned maybe they should stop leaking this stuff.

jjonez18

It matters because people are crediting Sony for the software support when they should be crediting the third parties who release games like Nier and Persona. Sony has released good games like Horizon, but it's not like this torrent of exclusive games is all their doing.

Both deserve credit. It's a symbiotic relationship between hardware and software.

Oh and Switch ducked me, again.

How can Xbox Live MAU and software sales grow if no new consumers buy the hardware? I wouldn't be shocked if PS4 sold more in the US this month than what XB1 sold WW.

Well, I mean it hasn't come to full fruition yet, but MS is hoping that they can make inroads into the PC market and then they fully won't care about console hardware sales anymore.

They also need to figure out a way to monetize PC users; find out some way to make them pay Gold fees. Gamepass would be a good step to get PC players to pay a recurring subscription fee if they could bring that to PC, which I bet they will eventually.

It's flawed to think competition stops with whatever the current state of the market is.

Not flawed, by that I meant if they were both selling well they'd be battling it out with features.
Right now that's pretty much non-existent (well one is going all out while the other isn't because they don't seem to see the need for it).
In that sense it's good they compete, be it features, price, games, everything we gain the benefit of it all in the end.

OT: this is the 2nd time XBox sold under 100k, how many times did PS4 hit that (if at all)?
Because as someone said it already ain't doing that great at $250 price point, but there's a $500 machine coming up.

Both selling well don't mean they going to battle out in features, games , price etc etc
In fact both selling well is worst for people that want deals and for them to battle it out .
The problem is MS is doing so badly be it USA or WW that Sony don't have to care .

Shin

Banned

Some of you need to stop being so ridiculous regarding this. If the leaker is that concerned maybe they should stop leaking this stuff.

Don't know where Ethomaz got it from but the site I'm looking at (which is a really really large site) doesn't say anything about not re-posting.

Both selling well don't mean they going to battle out in features, games , price etc etc
In fact both selling well is worst for people that want deals and for them to battle it out .
I disagree.

allan-bh

The leaker explained why the request was made, it's better because leaking this data is risk. Personally I prefer to preserve the leaker and have numbers for more months, it's better than go direct against his request and not having numbers again.

These people that leak NPD data is doing nothing more than a favour, they gain nothing doing this, I think they deserve a little respect and appreciation for their help.

Top Bottom