• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, August 8th

donny2112

Remember Crash is $40 compared to Splatoon 2 $60. It's a revenue based chart.

Crash very likely sold a lot of units. It's probably 2nd for the month in total units sold

The poster didn't say Splatoon 2 was #1 for the month overall. Crash could still be #1 by Units (or revenue) based on what was said.

The poster didn't say Splatoon 2 was #1 for the month overall. Crash could still be #1 by Units (or revenue) based on what was said.

What do you mean? The leak indicates Splatoon 2 is #1 on the chart, which means it's #1 in revenue. And even if they simply meant Splatoon 2 sold the most copies, that automatically means it also had the highest revenue, as it's a $60 product and Crash is $40.

Yjynx

Well I can only make guess with these data... PS4 and Switch had close numbers in hardware and supposing the price of both are similar:

PS4 hardware: ~$91 million
Switch hardware: ~$91 million

* I believe PS4 revenue is bigger than Switch due the Pro being sold at $399 but I will stay with 50/50.

Now let's say software is 75/25 for PS4 using the 2299k/736k... I'm again supposing games have close prices between PS4 and Switch.

PS4 software: ~$137 million
Switch software: ~$46 million

In total...

PS4 ~$228 million
Switch ~$137 million

If we assume XB1 did ~$120 million (that is ignoring Vita, PS3, 360, PC, etc... that is indeed a small part):

- XB1 revenue is close to Switch revenue with a way bigger userbase.
- XB1 revenue is close to half PS4 revenue with similar userbase (the difference is around 10% only).

I don't think my assumptions shows anything "quite respectable" for MS... the opposite it is doing pretty bad in US.
That's really bad actually...

We don't know if Splatoon 2 outsold Crash or not. I'd lean towards it did but there is a $20 revenue gap there per copy sold or a 1/3rd disadvantage per unit in ranking for Crash.

I lean Splatoon number 1 in units but Crash could have beaten it

ethomaz

Banned
What do you mean? The leak indicates Splatoon 2 is #1 on the chart, which means it's #1 in revenue. And even if they simply meant Splatoon 2 sold the most copies, that automatically means it also had the highest revenue, as it's a $60 product and Crash is $40.
One example...

Splatoon 2 = 332k x $60 = 19.92m
Crash = 400k x $40 = 16.00m

In this case Crash is #1 by units while Splatoon 2 is #1 by revenue.

Crash can be < 498k units and Splatoon being #1 yet.

We don't know if Splatoon 2 outsold Crash or not. I'd lean towards it did but there is a $20 revenue gap there per copy sold or a 1/3rd disadvantage per unit in ranking for Crash.

I lean Splatoon number 1 in units but Crash could have beaten it

One example...

Splatoon 2 = 332k x $60 = 19.92m
Crash = 400k x $40 = 16.00m

In this case Crash is #1 by units while Splatoon 2 is #1 by revenue.

Crash can be < 498k units and Splatoon being #1 yet.

Oh yeah, I know. I'm saying that it appears Splatoon 2 is #1 in revenue, regardless of whether or not it was #1 in unit sales. I honestly wouldn't be all that surprised if Crash sold more copies.

I probably didn't word it very well in my previous post, so my apologies.

Well I can only make guess with these data... PS4 and Switch had close numbers in hardware and supposing the price of both are similar:

* I believe PS4 revenue is bigger than Switch due the Pro being sold at $399 but I will stay with 50/50.

Now let's say software is 75/25 for PS4 using the 2299k/736k... I'm again supposing games have close prices between PS4 and Switch.

PS4 software: ~$137 million
Switch software: ~$46 million

In total...

PS4 ~$228 million
Switch ~$137 million

If we assume XB1 did ~$120 million (that is ignoring Vita, PS3, 360, PC, etc... that is indeed a small part):

- XB1 revenue is close to Switch revenue with a way bigger userbase.
- XB1 revenue is close to half PS4 revenue with similar userbase (the difference is around 10% only).

I don't think my assumptions shows anything "quite respectable" for MS... the opposite it is doing pretty bad in US.

And if you're right that $120m is both their software and hardware revenue, yeah?

If so, fuck-a-duck that's shocking! And, again, because this is just nuts sounding to me, this is the majority of their worldwide sales we're talking about here most likely. It's insane!

I really hope the Xbox fans thinking the XOX will sell gangbusters purely on the back of it having the best looking versions of third party titles are right, because this can't be sustainable, and I'd much rather see MS get their shit together eventually than bow out completely any time soon.

noobie

Banned
Xb1 sold less than 100k?
That would be a terrible result especially because US is Xbox strongest market.

I think it should be around 130K
Assuming $120million for XB1 eco system meaning Hardware must have contributed about 40 - 45% which is like 45 million and 75 million for software
I am not sure if accessories are included. But even considering them the figure should be above $30 million for XB1 console.. meaning above 100k (as XB1 is available for only $300 or less)

Assuming $120million for XB1 eco system meaning Hardware must have contributed about 40 - 45% which is like 45 million and 75 million for software
I am not sure if accessories are included. But even considering them the figure should be above $30 million for XB1 console.. meaning above 100k (as XB1 is available for only $300 or less)

It's impossible to tell, not knowing the HW/SW split.

We know the lowest seller of the top three pieces of HW was 104K, and, so that gives us a maximum, so it's about 30-35% at best, but it could easily be lower, especially given the comparatively higher proportional SW sales the XO sees compared to other platforms.

Data would be more interesting If the Switch has not been so supply constraint, and still is, at least in US. EU got more Switch shipments since a few days (at least it is available on amazon in some countries).

Would be interesting to see the sales numbers without supply constraints, that would give a more substantial outlook of its potential future/holiday sales.

I would think by the end of july the Switch sold 6 million worldwide since launch day on March 3rd. End of June was what.. 4.8 million?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Pro is a small portion of PS4 sales and you can usually get PS4 Amateur for under $299.99.
Like right now Best Buy has an Uncharted 4 PS4 bundle for $250.

ethomaz

Banned
Pro is a small portion of PS4 sales and you can usually get PS4 Amateur for under $299.99.
Like right now Best Buy has an Uncharted 4 PS4 bundle for $250.
It is around 10% of the sales if I'm not wrong? There is some data few months ago.

bombshell

It is around 10% of the sales if I'm not wrong? There is some data few months ago.

Shawn Layden and Jim Ryan in June:
And of every five PlayStation 4s Sony sells, Layden says one is a PlayStation 4 Pro
"It is way ahead of our expectations," adds Sony global sales chief Jim Ryan. "As with PSVR, and I suppose in forecasting these things we haven't done a very good job, the product is in desperately short supply. So that's one-in-five under severe constraint."
http://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/

Rymuth

To continue a discussion that's been happening for the last few pages...with the recent Crackdown 3 news, it would mean that Microsoft is going into the holiday season without a big game.

This has literally never happened before, unless I'm mistaken.

Stanng243

To continue a discussion that's been happening for the last few pages...with the recent Crackdown 3 news, it would mean that Microsoft is going into the holiday season without a big game.

What news?

Renna Hazel

Lucky's Tale is still on target for the holidays.

Goalus

Forza is no big game?

kyser73

The leak said this is the top 3 for July

Hardware:
NSW: 222K
PS4: 217K (+34.7%)
3DS: 105K (-44.3%)

So unless they left XB1 out of the top 3 for some reason, it has to be less than 105k.

As always, I'll be around later today to chat the media release. If you have questions now post away, if not, there will be lots to discuss later today.

As to some of the stuff in the last few pages:

giphy.webp

noobie

Banned
As always, I'll be around later today to chat the media release. If you have questions now post away, if not, there will be lots to discuss later today.

giphy.webp
I hope you can shed some light on this

What caused this huge spike in PS4 Physcial Software? I dont think anything worthwhile launched in this July? Wish our NPD guy can inform the number of new releases for PS4 in this july (2017) vs the last july (2016). What is the percentages of sales for this year (2017) releases vs catalog releases (2016 or earlier releases) and how it varies with last year number...

noobie

Banned

giphy.webp
Second question is: how the software attach rate of switch compares with software attach rate of other system at the same time in their life. Especially Do you see it much better then Wii?

Welfare

https://venturebeat.com/2017/08/17/july-2017-npd-splatoon-2-paints-a-pretty-picture-for-nintendo/

Splatoon 2*
Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
Grand Theft Auto V
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
Injustice 2
Mario Kart 8*
Overwatch**
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
NBA 2K17
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Minecraft
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
MLB 17: The Show
ARMS*
Battlefield 1
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Tekken 7

”Nintendo's Splatoon 2 was the best-selling title of the month," said Piscatella. ”Three of the month's top seven best-selling games are published by Nintendo. Nintendo was also the best-selling software publisher in July."

Though Horizon Zero Dawn has slipped off the overall charts, Piscatella says that it contributed to a resurgence of role-playing games. Along with titles like Nier: Automata, Persona 5, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, the RPG year-to-date sales have grown over 50 percent year-over-year.

While accessories were down in June, the sector grew 9 percent in July. Gamepads likely drove this, since Interactive Game Toys are still down.

”Accessories for the Nintendo Switch and Microsoft's Xbox One drove spending growth.  Gamepads were the top-selling accessory types for both platforms," said Piscatella. ”Declines in the Interactive Gaming Toys (IGT) segment lessened in July.  The IGT segment was down only 15 percent in dollar sales compared to July 2016."

https://venturebeat.com/2017/08/17/july-2017-npd-splatoon-2-paints-a-pretty-picture-for-nintendo/

Splatoon 2*
Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
Grand Theft Auto V
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
Injustice 2
Mario Kart 8*
Overwatch**
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
NBA 2K17
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Minecraft
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
MLB 17: The Show
ARMS*
Battlefield 1
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Tekken 7

“Nintendo’s Splatoon 2 was the best-selling title of the month,” said Piscatella. “Three of the month’s top seven best-selling games are published by Nintendo. Nintendo was also the best-selling software publisher in July.”

Though Horizon Zero Dawn has slipped off the overall charts, Piscatella says that it contributed to a resurgence of role-playing games. Along with titles like Nier: Automata, Persona 5, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, the RPG year-to-date sales have grown over 50 percent year-over-year.

While accessories were down in June, the sector grew 9 percent in July. Gamepads likely drove this, since Interactive Game Toys are still down.

“Accessories for the Nintendo Switch and Microsoft’s Xbox One drove spending growth.  Gamepads were the top-selling accessory types for both platforms,” said Piscatella. “Declines in the Interactive Gaming Toys (IGT) segment lessened in July.  The IGT segment was down only 15 percent in dollar sales compared to July 2016.”

So good to see Zelda up there!

Welfare

What I'm surprised about is MWR. Lmao of course it sells well at $40.

The Gamepad part is interesting. Was there some type of sale or something, or did new model controllers pick up some steam from June?

Top Bottom