• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F |OT| BELEEK (PS3/Vita)

I kept the scores silent until the winners were revealed last time, but what do you guys think this time? Should I give a hint on what the current score to beat is? Give it a bit more time? Or just keep it to myself?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I might pick up this game and I was wondering how people like it on Vita vs. PS3?

The ps3 version is much better in my opinion. The vita's buttons and dpad makes playing rhythm games a little more cumbersome, makes my hands hurt, and looks a little muddy since it's not full res. And the sound quality feels much worse on the vita.

Scher

Having the game on Vita as opposed to PS3 is nice since there isn't an offset. The most annoying part about playing on PS3 was having to mess around with the calibration until it was acceptable. Never could seem to get the calibration spot on, though.

ZeroX03

Banned
I might pick up this game and I was wondering how people like it on Vita vs. PS3?

I'm regretting picking it up on Vita, the touch mechanics are inconsistent for me and I find it harder to see the notes when everything is smaller. Not that it's bad, but I definitely preferred what I played of the PS3 demo over the Vita version. I'll be picking up the sequel on PS3.

I like how the one negative user review is someone with a IIDX song as their username complaining about the late timing window, completely neglecting the fact IIDX has an early timing window.

I find the timing window late. =( Old school arcade music game player here though, I'm used to DDR's wonky timing and EZ2DJ.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I've learned that the hard way. Though not through my own touch, but from where I've carried it about with me. Mine has just one scratch near the edge, so it's not terrible, but since I was already sold on importing a green Slim from Japan for the better battery life and coloured exterior, I figured I'll just grab a screen protector for that one.

The one time I did drop it it, the analog sticks prevented the screen from being damaged.

You can set the scratch notes to the back touch! I play this way so I don't have to keep cleaning the screen.

I second with Pariah, just say something like

Current score is a perfect, current score is a great etc.

The scores I've gotten are way too close together for that to be even remotely informative, unfortunately.

I find the timing window late. =( Old school arcade music game player here though, I'm used to DDR's wonky timing and EZ2DJ.

I'm not saying the timing window isn't late (it is), but it's consistent, and it's not so late that it deserved to be rated down with that as the sole stated reason. Konami's games all have early timing windows, and clearly that one person couldn't adjust the other way.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm not saying the timing window isn't late (it is), but it's consistent, and it's not so late that it deserved to be rated down with that as the sole stated reason. Konami's games all have early timing windows, and clearly that one person couldn't adjust the other way.

It's fine once you've adjusted to it. The timing feels like they want you to hit the button when you see the symbol meet the exact middle of the target, which means when it registers will be slightly after it's past the middle. Rather than a lot of other music games have the timing to the center, meaning they expect you to press the button in anticipation of it hitting the center.

ramyeon

Playing this on the Slim Vita is awesome, not uncomfortable after long sessions at all.

I love how whenever I think I've got this game down a song like "Hm? Ah, Yes." comes along and takes me by surprise. Didn't have an issue with it on Easy but after completing every song on Easy with Excellent rank I've moved up to Normal... got Excellent for every song before this without too many issues but this one took some effort lol.

I find that if I make a mistake I end up trying to fix it when just ignoring it and going on is the only way to go. As soon as I try to compensate for a missed or wrongly pressed button it all goes downhill.

Edit: I have no idea how I'm gonna deal with Hard and Extreme haha. Normal on some songs does weird things to my head. I was just playing World's End Dancehall over and over again to try and get Excellent on it and I felt like I went into a trance haha. I'm impressed with myself because when I tried that song on Normal in the demo I thought it was ridiculous, but now I find myself inputting stuff almost subconsciously. Still, I imagine Hard is going to me a whole other story.

Step

The scores I've gotten are way too close together for that to be even remotely informative, unfortunately.

What about only saying what's the difference from the 1st place, the 2nd and the 3rd place (200 points 2nd to 1st, 1000 3rd to 2nd) ?

It's not THAT informative and you aren't giving away the scores (almost useless but better than nothing haha).

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Listning to milku while doing squats!

Playing this on the Slim Vita is awesome, not uncomfortable after long sessions at all.

I love how whenever I think I've got this game down a song like "Hm? Ah, Yes." comes along and takes me by surprise. Didn't have an issue with it on Easy but after completing every song on Easy with Excellent rank I've moved up to Normal... got Excellent for every song before this without too many issues but this one took some effort lol.

I find that if I make a mistake I end up trying to fix it when just ignoring it and going on is the only way to go. As soon as I try to compensate for a missed or wrongly pressed button it all goes downhill.

Edit: I have no idea how I'm gonna deal with Hard and Extreme haha. Normal on some songs does weird things to my head. I was just playing World's End Dancehall over and over again to try and get Excellent on it and I felt like I went into a trance haha. I'm impressed with myself because when I tried that song on Normal in the demo I thought it was ridiculous, but now I find myself inputting stuff almost subconsciously. Still, I imagine Hard is going to me a whole other story.
I think you should move to Hard sooner rather than later. Easy and Normal are limited to one and two input types respectively, so sticking to those difficulties is not going to help you cope with Hard and Extreme, which use all four.

Jindrael

Banned
Just added my score to the contest, I really need to get more practice but for my first rhythm game in ages and first vocaloid game ever, I think I'm doing okay.

Will try to get a good excellent score for the contest but won't try for perfect, that's a little bit too hard for me atm. =)

Shengar

I would never touch the Vita screen without a screen protector.

Scratches way to easily.

Listen to this man people. Even then, Vita screen is still fragile with screen protector. If you want to bring your Vita anywhere, you a need a faceplate or you ended up like me:
CIMG0811.JPG
(That fucking long scratch appeared out of nowhere!)
I've bought Muramasa CE for the faceplate alone.

ShadiWulf

Really enjoying the game on Vita. I also had it on PS3, but on PS3 I could never get past normal mode. Must of been input lag related. I know i had a lot of issues with the input lag setting with my TV.

But yeah, I'm more addicted to this version then I was the PS3 version, and this isn't good. I can be in the middle of working on something and I just start picking up my Vita and before I know it I'm playing the game. At least on my PS3 I had to sit in front of a TV and turn on a console. Which made me less likely to be distracted when I was busy working on something.

I'm on hard mode right now, it was really crazy feeling at first switching to it, but now normal mode feels really boring. Still got a long ways to go though before i ever get to extreme mode. I tried out an extreme mode song for laughs and my fingers aren't fast enough to keep up. I also like scratching the screen (not literally scratching) for the star notes rather then flicking the sticks, i find it to be more fun.

so yeah, happy with myself right now, feels good, although I know I'm probably bad at this game compared to almost everyone in this topic.

ramyeon

This probably doesn't seem like a big deal to people who play on Hard and Extreme, but since this is my first rhythm game it kind of is to me haha.

First Perfect! And on what is probably my favourite song alongside Remote Control. Decided to try and get one since I've completed all the songs on Normal with Excellent, and Hard was doing my head in a bit (Struggling to even get Great, sometimes even just passing is difficult). By the end of this last run through the song and having a 300+ chain I was freaking out not wanting to break it, managed to keep my shit together in the end though lol.

ZeroX03

Banned
This probably doesn't seem like a big deal to people who play on Hard and Extreme, but since this is my first rhythm game it kind of is to me haha.

Congrats! I'm a music game fan and playing on Hard but I still haven't managed a perfect yet. I did get the title for only getting one safe though, lol.

ramyeon

Congrats! I'm a music game fan and playing on Hard but I still haven't managed a perfect yet. I did get the title for only getting one safe though, lol.
Cheers! Hard is crazy. Although after going through the songs a few times it becomes more doable. It was so weird seeing the Square icon come up for the first time.

Haha yeah I got that title too, pretty frustrating. I think I got it the first time I played through Ashes to Ashes. I would have sworn that song would be the one I got Perfect on first since it's so easy, but Melancholic is definitely the song I play most haha.

Edit: Man... Hard is destroying me. I made the mistake of trying Secret Police after Cat Food and... Oh my god... My eyes couldn't even keep up with everything.

antibolo

Banned
I would never touch the Vita screen without a screen protector.

Scratches way to easily.

No it doesn't, I've owned my Vita since launch and haven't got any scratches so far. I keep it in an old PSP pouch whenever I'm traveling, so it has no reason to get scratched.

Listen to this man people. Even then, Vita screen is still fragile with screen protector. If you want to bring your Vita anywhere, you a need a faceplate or you ended up like me:

(That fucking long scratch appeared out of nowhere!)
I've bought Muramasa CE for the faceplate alone.

Are you sure it's really a scratch, and not a crack? Screen protectors don't prevent cracks. And in any case they don't appear "out of nowhere", there must have been some impact at some point that you may have forgotten about while traveling.

ramyeon

Oh man I am bad at Hard. Getting a Great on any given song is a chore now, still yet to get an Excellent. The quick switches between inputs along with the long, fast lines or notes that are practically on top of each other get me every time.

matmanx1

It's fine once you've adjusted to it. The timing feels like they want you to hit the button when you see the symbol meet the exact middle of the target, which means when it registers will be slightly after it's past the middle. Rather than a lot of other music games have the timing to the center, meaning they expect you to press the button in anticipation of it hitting the center.

Exactly this. I adjusted to it pretty much instantly once I released that was how it was calibrated. I'm enjoying the Vita version much moreso than the PS3 version. The only downside to me is the non native resolution but the portability, headphone friendliness, and OLED quality more than make up for that.

Scher

Been playing Sadistic Music Factory throughout spring break when I would take a break from Dark Souls 2. After getting back to my apartment yesterday, I decided to give it a shot before going to bed and finally got what I wanted!

Only played the song a couple of times on PS3, so I never really took the time to break down the individual parts and learn the rhythms at the end. Now that I've actually done that, I find the song to be pretty fun to play. Now to actually get perfects for all the other songs, since I kind of stopped doing that after getting caught up with this song.

ramyeon

Been playing Sadistic Music Factory throughout spring break when I would take a break from Dark Souls 2. After getting back to my apartment yesterday, I decided to give it a shot before going to bed and finally got what I wanted!

Only played the song a couple of times on PS3, so I never really took the time to break down the individual parts and learn the rhythms at the end. Now that I've actually done that, I find the song to be pretty fun to play. Now to actually get perfects for all the other songs, since I kind of stopped doing that after getting caught up with this song.
That's crazy. You're crazy! Haha.

I've just resigned to the fact that it's impossible for me to get above Great on Hard mode at the moment. Gonna just go through and complete all the songs for the time being and try to get better at them.

I feel like the jump from Normal -> Hard is really quite significant, although people seem to say it's not and Hard -> Extreme is much greater.

ZeroX03

Banned
I feel like the jump from Normal -> Hard is really quite significant, although people seem to say it's not and Hard -> Extreme is much greater.

Normal -> Hard introduces four buttons and more creative patterns. I didn't find it too tough because it keeps a consistent pace, Easy/Normal it's easy to lose track when notes aren't on screen for a few seconds.

Hard -> Extreme all but forces you to use the d-pad. Tried Sadistic Music Factory and it's really hard to tap that fast, you have to be alternating between the d-pad and buttons, a skill that isn't really necessary on Hard so if you haven't learned it there'll be a big spike.

I beat all the songs on Hard last night (mostly G/E, a few standards). Only have 900k diva points though, do I really have to grind out another 1.2 million for the module collector trophy? I was using the 2x DP item for most of that too...

I beat all the songs on Hard last night (mostly G/E, a few standards). Only have 900k diva points though, do I really have to grind out another 1.2 million for the module collector trophy? I was using the 2x DP item for most of that too...

DP starts coming really easily once you can do reasonably well on Extreme. I think I could get 1.2 million within an hour or two.

ZeroX03

Banned
DP starts coming really easily once you can do reasonably well on Extreme. I think I could get 1.2 million within an hour or two.

Just gotten a few greats on extreme, not confident enough to use Mega Survival or Perfectonist yet. Might get all excellents on Hard before I move on. Just don't want to end up grinding the same song over and over again and ruining the enjoyment of it, ya' know?

ramyeon

Almost beat everything in Hard with at least a Standard but I've hit a roadblock in the form of NegaPosi*Continues and Unhappy Refrain. The former in particular is kind of ridiculous, my eyes can't even keep up with what's happening on the screen let alone input the keys. It doesn't help that song's beat is really hard to follow.

Scher

The jump from hard to extreme is pretty huge. Then again, that seems to be the case with most rhythm games. There always seems to be a giant difficulty spike when going to the highest difficulty. Personally, I think it can be pretty unreasonable what the game expects you to do on extreme in comparison to what you do on hard. Like Zero said, it pretty much forces you to use the d-pad in order to do faster strings of notes.

muteki

The jump from hard to extreme is pretty huge. Then again, that seems to be the case with most rhythm games. There always seems to be a giant difficulty spike when going to the highest difficulty. Personally, I think it can be pretty unreasonable what the game expects you to do on extreme in comparison to what you do on hard. Like Zero said, it pretty much forces you to use the d-pad in order to do faster strings of notes.
I'd say the jump from Hard -> Extreme is bigger but I'm a bit biased because that's where I am stuck currently. Alternating notes from buttons to d-pad for quick runs, and staying on beat, is my problem. It doesn't help that you can Excellent the vast majority of Hard without ever needing to alternate the d-pad, so Extreme seems like such a jump. I wouldn't mind it if they created new notes that required single d-pad input and put them in hard, just to get people to practice sooner.

Hopefully I can get more time in Extreme once F2 comes out, since I'll already have half the songs memorized.

ramyeon

Well as someone who has never really played rhythm games before, the jump from Normal > Hard is definitely significant for me. Maybe if I'd had more experience with the genre or Project Diva games it wouldn't be as big a deal.

Still unable to even get past the first section of NegaPosi on Hard, it's crazy.

I must be one of the very few that still plays Extreme charts with largely one hand - I only end up using the second hand if a chart asks me to hit more than five or so notes a second. This is more a holdover from the very first Project DIVA (which didn't accept d-pad input at all) than any sort of stylistic choice though. I've actually had people comment on my YouTube/Twitch videos stating that I play "wrong" because of this.

Scher

I must be one of the very few that still plays Extreme charts with largely one hand - I only end up using the second hand if a chart asks me to hit more than five or so notes a second. This is more a holdover from the very first Project DIVA (which didn't accept d-pad input at all) than any sort of stylistic choice though. I've actually had people comment on my YouTube/Twitch videos stating that I play "wrong" because of this.

I do most songs on extreme with only one hand because that's what I'm used to from previous games I've played. However, I'm also more used to games not having long strings of the same note and, instead, having strings of alternating notes. That's really what causes me the most issues, and in the case of the faster songs that have long strings of the same notes, I'll use the d-pad.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is your YouTube channel? I'm always curious to see how other people play, since it's a good way to improve what I do. Watching a video is pretty much the only reason I know about using the d-pad.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is your YouTube channel? I'm always curious to see how other people play, since it's a good way to improve what I do. Watching a video is pretty much the only reason I know about using the d-pad.

My YouTube channel is shinstc, but it's been a long time since I've uploaded anything there. I have a lot more gameplay video at my Twitch channel, but not a lot of it features my hands.

Actually, I don't think I have any video at all of me playing on normal controllers on harder difficulties, except for the blurrycam stream (which isn't even how I'd normally play because I had the Vita balanced precariously on an iPad stand the whole time). The more recent F 2nd demo gameplay video has the best view, but of course the demo didn't feature any difficulty above Normal.

Kumubou

I actually play completely one-handed, mainly due to a combination of being comfortable enough to jackhammer faster notes and my PS3 pad registering all sorts of funky stuff once I start mashing on the d-pad (because the d-pad is super loose). I kind of want to try a PS4 pad and see if that helps at all.

yyr

Getting a full combo in any music game is not an easy task at first. I also believe that a full combo in this game is more difficult than in DDR. So, congratulations =)

Don't wait to pass NegaPosi (7.5 stars) and Unhappy Refrain (7 stars) before you attempt some of the easier Extreme charts (also 7 stars, but slower). Seeing some of the more complex patterns might help. It's all "the more you play, the better you get."

I'll be competing in the contest once again =) Can't wait to see how we all do. Just remember, Chance Time mistakes cost way more points than others...

I'm not going to reveal exactly how I'm doing, but I'm going to guess the winning score: approximately 420,500.

ZeroX03

Banned
Getting a full combo in any music game is not an easy task at first. I also believe that a full combo in this game is more difficult than in DDR. So, congratulations =)

It is more difficult. I can get full combo on most songs on DDR under 7 stars and excellent on any song on this on medium or hard... but still haven't gotten a single full combo. The scratching on touch screen is usually the main culprit though.

On DDR I was always better at surviving the tough songs (max difficulty stuff) than others while they were scoring highly on easier stuff.

Top Bottom