• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain new stuff (pic & ^r

Strike

Animation is the only thing that's really lacking. Framerate needs a little work too. Overall I like what I see.

MDSLKTR

Saw the trailer. Bricks will be shat.
I'm gonna hunt for a copy of Fahrenheit. I know what to expect but the demo was interesting.

3.jpg

thom-yorke.jpg

Separated at birth?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Looks like they blew their whole poly/texel budget on the faces. Like on the (I assume) main character, his face is razor sharp and his shirt looks blurry as hell.
Also, "His name was Robert Paulson.".

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
so it's a game about love. i hate love.

Can't unsee the Thom Yorke / young Alec Baldwin comparisons now. :D Otherwise, colour me very impressed. This game could be a masterpiece in the making, seeing that the presentation is very cinematic and the story seems to be grounded in reality. I am a sucker for adventure- / exploration-games in general, and I'd be foolish to not be excited about Heavy Rain.

I got a strong 'Zodiac' -vibe from the trailer, and I loved the film ( and the mystery surrounding the serial-killer in general ).

That is the worst American accent I have ever heard. Feels so put on, it's obviously some French dude or something doing a really bad job.

The game looks like it's being made to play out like a movie, but when the game developers don't understand how to make a good movie, well then you're going to get a game which plays out like a bad made-for-tv movie.

So cheesy.

Smelly Tramp said:
That is the worst American accent I have ever heard. Feels so put on, it's obviously some French dude or something doing a really bad job.

The game looks like it's being made to play out like a movie, but when the game developers don't understand how to make a good movie, well then you're going to get a game which plays out like a bad made-for-tv movie.

So cheesy.

Did we even watch the same trailer? Sheesh, I couldn't disagree with you more. :p

Sure, the trailer was cut and made to look like a movie-trailer, but I am 100% sure that the game itself is more than an interactive made-for-tv film. I mean, c'mon, have some faith.:lol

I also wasn't bothered by the voice-acting - it's not amazing, but it's really not that horrible either.

Doesn't look as nice as the earlier pics, OR the first trailer. Still ooks nice obviously.

Hope it looks better in motion than it does in THESE particular pics.

*goes back to Ratchet, Uncharted and GoW pics*

You have no soul. Ambient music like that is perfect for a game like this. Captures the mood perfectly. Would you have preferred hard rock?
No, I would have preferred something less pretentious.
I bet I could make that trailer a lot less cheesy and heavy handed by cutting out that cliche orchestral music and inserting the fucking Dave Matthews band.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Doesn't look as nice as the earlier pics, OR the first trailer. Still ooks nice obviously.

It looks exactly the same (and why wouldn't it?). The scene with the guy in the rainy street might be the same exact street from the first trailer even. I think this new trailer is probably the best visually they had so far, if not that well edited. For the first time, they show scenes in daylight in the new trailer, and they looked surprisingly good.

Guled

man, what happened to them not showing off the story stuff because they wanted to avoid spoilers. After watching that last trailer you can figure out a huge part of the plot. I need to go on a media blackout

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
PowderedToast said:
The trailer is just further proof of how terrible videogames are in regards to subtlety. It's both embarassing and disappointing.
Yes. I found the attempts at "realism" in Indigo Prophecy to be more cringeworthy than the fantastic nonsense, and I was surprised to find out that game wasn't supposed to be a comedy.

This looks to be unintentionally funny in a similar fashion.

Zen

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

*goes back to Ratchet, Uncharted and GoW pics*

Honestly it looks better than the first pics, to me. And by first trailer are we talking about the detective girl reported one? It looks at least as good as that, if not much better now, at least with this material.

Comparisons?

iratA

Wow at the music. Seriously impressive overall, just in need of some polish here and there. Animations still probably need the most work along with the voice acting. As far as I'm concerned Haters can hate away in their little hate train, drinking their hate soup and laughing with their little Hate buddies on their way to the capitol of Hatesville for all I care. This game may not be groundbreaking on any one level but mark my words this will be one special game. Mr Cage is the man.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
cuyahoga said:
Yes. I found the attempts at "realism" in Indigo Prophecy to be more cringeworthy than the fantastic nonsense, and I was surprised to find out that game wasn't supposed to be a comedy.
You're probably the kind of person who finds 'realism' in feature films funny as well, because that's the kind of thing these guys are trying to emulate. Not actual documentary realism, but the kind of stuff thats presented in movies.

Now of course, they won't be able to get it to that level either, but I don't know, on a rare occasion I walk into a stereotypical diner, I can't help but smile thinking at how incredibly similar it all is to what I played in Fahrenheit. For me at least it makes a big difference that I was able to move around and explore the location in a game like that. It's the reason I remember that particular diner more so than a hundred other such diners I've seen in as many movies or TV shows. If these guys know how to make something so memorable, I don't care whatever tricks they use to accomplish it, they deserve my attention. Your mileage may vary of course.

There's that, and also that this is one of the very few adventure games of point and click variety in too many years, that's not made on a shoestring budget and ten years old technology - and I want to see more games like that.

I haven't watched the trailer because I'm on a media blackout, but all the comments in this thread about the bad voice-acting is a big problem. Voice-acting and good dialogue is crucial in this game. David Cage has been stressing how this game is about emotion, story, and connection to the characters, but it won't work if you're not taking it seriously thanks to corny lines badly delivered.

It's a shame because I really want this game to work. I like what David Cage says in his interviews about how games need to evolve into more than just jumping and shooting and the usual shallow shit, and how he believes gaming needs more adult experiences. I like what he's trying to do.

Either way I'm still going to enjoy the other aspects of the game and I'm still dying to play it.

Spoo

The-Warning said:
I haven't watched the trailer because I'm on a media blackout, but all the comments in this thread about the bad voice-acting is a big problem. Voice-acting and good dialogue is crucial in this game. David Cage has been stressing how this game is about emotion, story, and connection to the characters, but it won't work if you're not taking it seriously thanks to corny lines badly delivered.

It's a shame because I really want this game to work. I like what David Cage says in his interviews about how games need to evolve into more than just jumping and shooting and the usual shallow shit, and how he believes gaming needs more adult experiences. I like what he's trying to do.

Either way I'm still going to enjoy the other aspects of the game and I'm still dying to play it.

Sounds like corny lines fucking shit up more than anything. The VA isn't bad; he's just delivering bizarre, cliche lines. Still, none of it is "bad" imo; I'm excited for the game.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Lord Error said:
You're probably the kind of person who finds 'realism' in feature films funny as well, because that's the kind of thing these guys are trying to emulate. Not actual documentary realism, but the kind of stuff thats presented in movies.
Uh, no, it's painfully obvious that David Cage is repeatedly trying to get in touch with some sort of American sensibility, and he has no understanding of American sensibility other than what he derives from our pop culture exports. What he does is kind of like Dragonforce recording a tribute to In the Wee Small Hours.

Artist nit-pick alert code orange:
The graphics are good, but they look really 1995 rendered cgi off. Almost everything looks very computer-ized. The characters look android stoned or have that "looking into space" appearance. The backgrounds look as life-less as the characters. It's too obvious that some objects are extremely low poly while others right next to it are obviously overly high poly. Some objects don't seem to belong at all mostly due to texture space being all over the place. Same with the guy's face model..especially his ears. There's just too much contrast and not enough thought about where texture space should be implemented. It doesn't look like there's a skull behind that head and a brain behind that.
It's hard to explain but they look like something out of CGtalk ten years ago... before people other than pixar and a few other super-talents figured out how to give 3d graphics a sense of real-ness and not give off that instant life-less cg look. They were on the fringe, but not there yet. These guys seem to be right in that limbo too.

The exception of the pictures I've seen so far is that guy's wet coat. I can almost touch and smell the aged leather on that thing. so good. The other exception is the hair on these characters. It looks like it'll just blow in the wind.

Yeah, I don't know why people said that is corny. The trailer made me so engaged into it.

This guy isn't the er.. CIA dude, right? So many characters...

Shinjiru

I just wanted to go on the record as saying that the 'For Love' trailer is one of the most impressive game trailers that I have ever seen. I cannot wait to play this game.

Spoo said:
Sounds like corny lines fucking shit up more than anything. The VA isn't bad; he's just delivering bizarre, cliche lines. Still, none of it is "bad" imo; I'm excited for the game.

That's good to hear that the acting isn't that bad. I don't expect Marlon Brando. As long as it's better than Mike Tyson in the movie The Hangover I'll be fine.

edit: Fuck it I watched the trailer. I thought it looked great! There was only a voice over so it was hard to tell, but yeah the last line was a little cringe worthy. No big deal.

Stills look good. In motion... uncanny valley madness. So dead behind the eyes. Why spend so much time to make it look good, and then skimp out on the most important part of a person, their eyes. They should call Naughty Dog for some pointers. :lol

Vustadumas said:
Stills look good. In motion... uncanny valley madness. So dead behind the eyes. Why spend so much time to make it look good, and then skimp out on the most important part of a person, their eyes. They should call Naughty Dog for some pointers. :lol
When Naughty Dog can get as good of models in-game as Quantic Dream, then they should be called for eye-movement help.

This is one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen, and gets more beautiful as I see more pics/vids.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not half as pretty or impressive as it’s been hyped to be, still totally and utterly unproven in concept, and as always sounds like pretentious game/story wank.

artilect

Banned
As long as this game doesn't get ridiculously stupid like Indigo Prophecy I'll pick it up a couple weeks after release.

Shinjiru

stuburns said:
I wonder how much of it will be set in that 'new york' location. We still seem to know so little about the overall game design, only the minute to minute stuff has really been covered.
I think I remember someone from Quantic Dream saying that Heavy Rain was set in Philadelphia. In the 2009 E3 trailer it showed an angel statue similar to the 30th Street Station Angel in Philadelphia, and in the new GamesCom trailer it looks like one scene has the Benjamin Franklin Bridge in the background. However, one scene from the new trailer has a car with Colorado license plates, so the entire game may not take place in Philadelphia.

lostxii

EatChildren said:
Not half as pretty or impressive as it’s been hyped to be, still totally and utterly unproven in concept, and as always sounds like pretentious game/story wank.

How does that make any sense?

Also, the concepts are based off the foundation set by Indigo Prophecy so I don't see how you could claim that it's completely unproven conceptually.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
lostxii said:
How does that make any sense?

I was referring to the visuals, hence saying 'pretty' and following up with 'impressive' before my comma, and my point still stands; it is visually not as impressive as it has been hyped to be. Theres’ no ‘uncanny valley’ nonsense, it looks like nothing amazingly unfeasible by today’s technology, and the animation (so far) is hardly anything stand out.

He’ll, the animation in that trailer is nothing better (I’d even argue worse) than some in-game clips from already released high production games. Sure, they’ve probably got a billion more animations to work on by comparison, but it doesn’t make it any less underwhelming.

Coupled with a shoddy framerate evident in some scenes and it’s wholey uninteresting and unimpressive to me from a visual perspective.

Of course, my final judgement on the game will remain until I play it, as I’m someone who did play and enjoy Fahrenheit somewhat, but so far there’s nothing at all that jumps out to me and I don’t see why people find it so impressive.

AniHawk

EatChildren said:
so far there’s nothing at all that jumps out to me and I don’t see why people find it so impressive.

It's a PS3 exclusive. You'll find the same type of people claiming Alan Wake looks just as impressive on the 360 side of things and the same type of people claiming Red Steel 2 looks just as impressive on the Wii side of things.

Now I'm personally really interested in this game. I have been for a long time and it's one of the main reasons I'm buying a PS3, but this trailer was average at best.

lostxii

EatChildren said:
I was referring to the visuals, hence saying 'pretty' and following up with 'impressive' before my comma, and my point still stands; it is visually not as impressive as it has been hyped to be. Theres’ no ‘uncanny valley’ nonsense, it looks like nothing amazingly unfeasible by today’s technology, and the animation (so far) is hardly anything stand out.

He’ll, the animation in that trailer is nothing better (I’d even argue worse) than some in-game clips from already released high production games. Sure, they’ve probably got a billion more animations to work on by comparison, but it doesn’t make it any less underwhelming.

Coupled with a shoddy framerate evident in some scenes and it’s wholey uninteresting and unimpressive to me from a visual perspective.

Of course, my final judgement on the game will remain until I play it, as I’m someone who did play and enjoy Fahrenheit somewhat, but so far there’s nothing at all that jumps out to me and I don’t see why people find it so impressive.

I know, but it's not like the game has been hidden from the public and hyped for years by press. The fidelity of the visuals were hyped based on the screens and videos being released for a couple of years now. Especially the taxidermist demo. I do agree that some of the animations are lacking, though.

AniHawk said:
It's a PS3 exclusive. You'll find the same type of people claiming Alan Wake looks just as impressive on the 360 side of things and the same type of people claiming Red Steel 2 looks just as impressive on the Wii side of things.

Now I'm personally really interested in this game. I have been for a long time and it's one of the main reasons I'm buying a PS3, but this trailer was average at best.
I didn't watch the trailer so I'm not sure about this, but I don't think that Heavy Rain is the type of game you can really show alot of cool stuff in. In games like God of War or Uncharted the developers show awesome trailers because they want to show you all the awesome stuff you'll be doing in the game. You can't really do that for a game like Heavy Rain, the same way you can't do it with a movie like Shawshank Redemption.

AniHawk

Cirekiller said:
I didn't watch the trailer so I'm not sure about this, but I don't think that Heavy Rain is the type of game you can really show alot of cool stuff in. In games like God of War or Uncharted the developers show awesome trailers because they want to show you all the awesome stuff you'll be doing in the game. You can't really do that for a game like Heavy Rain, the same way you can't do it with a movie like Shawshank Redemption.

Like I said, they made this look like a generic action game like the examples you gave.

The trailer should have been: Something happens (some sort of confrontation), you make a choice- something comes out of that. Go back to the scene the trailer started at, make a different choice- something comes out of that. The whole point of this game is that all the choices you make matters and that's not conveyed here at all.

Syntek

Didn't really care much for this title before but the trailer actually has me interested now :O

Quick, someone should splice Requiem for a Dream music track into that trailer :D

Top Bottom