Help bring Tingle DS to the states! Official Tingle Survey

Nov 29, 2005
9,221
0
0
I guess I shouldn't have bought SF2 for Xbox Live, since most the characters are horrid cliches.

My previous post was to point out that this looks like a really good game. Whether people like the character of Tingle or not seems to be more at issue here than the game itself, which is sad because to me it looks like an awesome Zelda-esque romp with stellar 2D graphics. I mean, if I were to meet someone like Dante from DMC3 in real life I'd want to punch them in the face, but I love that game despite how annoying he is. Maybe if gameplay pics were put up first this thread would've gone a different route.
 
Nov 10, 2005
32,166
25
0
Synthesizer Patel said:
In somewhat more seriousness: the "popularity" of characters like Hard Gay and Tingle are why the public perception of homosexuality in Japan hasn't progressed beyond the Village People circa 1983. Supporting Tingle because he's "funny" is about as defensible as supporting Square's Tom Sawyer because he's "funny":



Tingle is not just an annoying middle-aged man in a green spandex suit. He's a cultural cancer. By accepting him and his game, you are enabling Japanese society to continue marginalizing homosexuality as an amusing psychosis.
Yeah, I mean, nobody should care that the creator of Tingle, Aonuma, said he wasn't homosexual. If he is fruity and flamboyant, then he must be a homosexual!

Please, keep giving us your opinion on the matter (aka gay hate speech)
 
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
My god, that boxart is absolutely ****ing brill. I didn't think they could outdo what I've already seen but MY GOD THAT IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

This is going to be the single best game ever made. All you haters just plain suck. Go play your balding space marines that blow shit up while being MATOOR and GIT OUTTA MUH THREAD. :p
 
Jun 11, 2004
4,559
0
0
img77.imageshack.us
Dragona Akehi said:
My god, that boxart is absolutely ****ing brill. I didn't think they could outdo what I've already seen but MY GOD THAT IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

This is going to be the single best game ever made. All you haters just plain suck. Go play your balding space marines that blow shit up while being MATOOR and GIT OUTTA MUH THREAD. :p
Dragona rox

The masses want Tingle!
 
Nov 29, 2005
9,221
0
0
evilromero said:
Oh give me a ****in break. We're all just having fun here. So Tingle may not actually be gay. He lives with his parents and likes to wear green tights. He's a special case.
I dunno, I think Patel has a point, and I couldn't tell if you were joking or not. I still think it's all a bit irrelavent considering what the rest of the game looks like, though.
 
Mar 19, 2005
17,649
610
1,425


wow...just wow.

Yeah bring it over here so the what 15 or so people in this here who go "ITS THE BEST GAME EVER lolz!!!!", can enjoy it before the novelity wears off. This game looks atrocious.
 
Nov 10, 2005
32,166
25
0
Synthesizer Patel said:
Please explain how a vehement opposition to gay sterotyping qualifies as "gay hate speech."

Aonuma can say whatever he wants, but it doesn't change the nature of Tingle's character. This is not wikiality.
Oh, my bad, I just assumed that since you were acting like an idiot and making assumptions withoug any logic involved that you expected people to reply the same way.
 
Nov 29, 2005
9,221
0
0
Christopher said:


wow...just wow.

Yeah bring it over here so the what 15 or so people in this here who go "ITS THE BEST GAME EVER lolz!!!!", can enjoy it before the novelity wears off. This game looks atrocious.
http://www.jeux-france.com/images0_4_16801.html
Looks great to me, like a whacked version of Zelda. I'm thinking they're trying to make him the Wario to Link's Mario.
 
Mar 19, 2005
17,649
610
1,425
A Link to the Past said:
Someone ought to change the topic so people know there's a gay bash going on
Generalizations ftw! I'm afraid your going to have to put a little more backbone into what your saying before you can throw your stupid claims out.
 
Nov 10, 2005
32,166
25
0
Christopher said:
Generalizations ftw! I'm afraid your going to have to put a little more backbone into what your saying before you can throw your stupid claims out.
Again, apologies, it was a misunderstanding. Like the guy before you, I thought you were being stupid to attract stupid responses, but you were actually just being stupid.

PS: I love how the generalizations ftw is directed at me for calling you and your Tingle-hating posse gay bashers and not towards, say, someone who insists that Tingle is gay despite the fact that he cannot possibly be gay.
 
Mar 19, 2005
17,649
610
1,425
A Link to the Past said:
Again, apologies, it was a misunderstanding. Like the guy before you, I thought you were being stupid to attract stupid responses, but you were actually just being stupid.

PS: I love how the generalizations ftw is directed at me for calling you and your Tingle-hating posse gay bashers and not towards, say, someone who insists that Tingle is gay despite the fact that he cannot possibly be gay.
Whatever dude I just don't like the style of the game...how the hell did anything being gay come into this?
 
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
Sugarman said:
http://www.jeux-france.com/images0_4_16801.html
Looks great to me, like a whacked version of Zelda. I'm thinking they're trying to make him the Wario to Link's Mario.
EXACTLY. And I like Wario WAY more than Mario... If Tingle's whacked out version of Zelda is anything like Wario's spinoff... It'll be better than the best game ever made.

I MEAN COME ON. YOU HIRE BODYGUARDS TO WIN FIGHTS. BODYGUARDS! It's brilliant! How could ANYONE not love this idea is beyond me...
 
Jun 25, 2005
38,456
0
0
Dragona Akehi said:
EXACTLY. And I like Wario WAY more than Mario... If Tingle's whacked out version of Zelda is anything like Wario's spinoff... It'll be better than the best game ever made.

I MEAN COME ON. YOU HIRE BODYGUARDS TO WIN FIGHTS. BODYGUARDS! It's brilliant! How could ANYONE not love this idea is beyond me...
Warioware was brilliant, the wario platformers were derivative. Hopefully tingle rpg isnt too much like zelda.
 
Nov 10, 2005
32,166
25
0
Christopher said:
Whatever dude I just don't like the style of the game...how the hell did anything being gay come into this?
Being gay has been a subject in Tingle topics since his conception, regardless of whether or not him being gay is actually true.

And regardless, why are you here if all you're going to do is troll?

...Oh, duh, you're HERE to troll. Gotcha.
 
Oct 16, 2005
22,708
0
0
I find it pretty sad that everyone here is ****ing bitching about the sexual preference of a VIDEOGAME CHARACTER.

This game looks zanny and quite fun, I'm all up for it being brought over here. Tingle wasn't my favorite let's just say, but after seeing this I'm awefully happy of what they're doing.
 
Mar 19, 2005
17,649
610
1,425
A Link to the Past said:
Being gay has been a subject in Tingle topics since his conception, regardless of whether or not him being gay is actually true.

And regardless, why are you here if all you're going to do is troll?

...Oh, duh, you're HERE to troll. Gotcha.
You take videogames a tad too serious dude...
 
I'm not arguing that Tingle is gay, I'm arguing that he perpetuates gay stereotypes. Razor Ramon may push bone in the back room with three women a day, but that doesn't make his Hard Gay character any less embarassing or demeaning to homosexuals.

The character of Tingle is a symptom of a culture that insists on marginalizing and ridiculing homosexuality. As Kohler has pointed out, the title of his game is a direct reference to a Japanese expression for being "light in the loafers." The character's design and background, the game's title, the box art--even the Japanese text in those Famitsu scans is full of homoerotic subtext. ("The tower enlongates?" Please.)

The whole endeavor is just crass.
 
Jun 25, 2005
38,456
0
0
Synthesizer Patel said:
I'm not arguing that Tingle is gay, I'm arguing that he perpetuates gay stereotypes. Razor Ramon may push bone in the back room with three women a day, but that doesn't make his Hard Gay character any less embarassing or demeaning to homosexuals.

The character of Tingle is a symptom of a culture that insists on marginalizing and ridiculing homosexuality. As Kohler has pointed out, the title of his game is a direct reference to a Japanese expression for being "light in the loafers." The character's design and background, the game's title, the box art--even the Japanese text in those Famitsu scans is full of homoerotic subtext. ("The tower enlongates?" Please.)

The whole endeavor is just crass.
Are you sure? This is nintendo we're talking about.
 
Jun 11, 2004
4,559
0
0
img77.imageshack.us
Probationsmack said:
Warioware was brilliant, the wario platformers were derivative. Hopefully tingle rpg isnt too much like zelda.
Are you kidding me? The Wario Land games were some of the most inventive platformers ever made. WL2 and WL3 were just as good as any SMB game, IMO.

Also, I think some people are taking the character of Tingle far too seriously.
 
Apr 19, 2005
12,668
0
0
Synthesizer Patel said:
I'm not arguing that Tingle is gay, I'm arguing that he perpetuates gay stereotypes. Razor Ramon may push bone in the back room with three women a day, but that doesn't make his Hard Gay character any less embarassing or demeaning to homosexuals. The character of Tingle is a symptom of a culture that insists on marginalizing and ridiculing homosexuality. As Kohler has pointed out, the title of his game is a direct reference to a Japanese expression for being "light in the loafers." The character's design and background, the game's title, the box art--even the Japanese text in those Famitsu scans is full of homoerotic subtext. ("The tower enlongates?" Please.) The whole endeavor is just crass.
oh no gay stereotypes. oh no racial stereotypes. oh no.. lighthearted outlook on life and everything is not allowed. think of the repercussions. oh sweet lord jesus sit me down and stare me in the face I can't make fun of myself

cut yourself in front of a mirror
 
Nov 10, 2005
32,166
25
0
Synthesizer Patel said:
I'm not arguing that Tingle is gay, I'm arguing that he perpetuates gay stereotypes. Razor Ramon may push bone in the back room with three women a day, but that doesn't make his Hard Gay character any less embarassing or demeaning to homosexuals.

The character of Tingle is a symptom of a culture that insists on marginalizing and ridiculing homosexuality. As Kohler has pointed out, the title of his game is a direct reference to a Japanese expression for being "light in the loafers." The character's design and background, the game's title, the box art--even the Japanese text in those Famitsu scans is full of homoerotic subtext. ("The tower enlongates?" Please.)

The whole endeavor is just crass.
Yeah, I'm sure that your argument holds water. I mean, who cares that this character who you claim perpetuates gay stereotypes has not only been stated as not being gay, but who has also been shown to enjoy the company of women? The idea that he could be *gasp* not gay or a gay stereotype is just silly, reality be damned!

So tell me - who is perpetuating anything? Maybe you, who is saying that because he looks this way or acts this way, that it is impossible for him to be anything but a joke on gay people?
 
Mar 8, 2006
518
0
0
34
The only ones who would buy this are loyal whores to the Nintendo/Zelda franchise . If you own a DS, chances are...you're a nintard. If you're a nintard, chances are...you love Zelda. If you love Zelda, chances are you will buy this game, regardless of how tedious the gameplay will be. I expect this to be a flop in America, but hopefully Nintendo will prove me wrong.

Clerk: What do you want?

Neo: I'd like to buy one copy of Tingle's Pink Colored Rupee Land for the Nintendo DS

Clerk: Do you want a strategy guide with that?
 

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Jun 6, 2004
16,737
20
0
tingle stereotypes gays as having pointy heads, wearing green leotards, loving money, practicing cartography, suffering from epinasal rosacea and species dysphoria, and living on totem poles in the sea. it's simply odious

tingle is too weird to be a stereotype...he's hardly hard gay. and is a portrayal of a weirdly effeminate and fanciful little man somehow inherently offensive? whether he's portrayed as homosexual or not? how do you figure? at first i thought synth patel was just trolling, but now i'm not so sure.
 

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jul 26, 2004
28,052
6
0
Long Island, NY
People who are going out of their way to vote against this game coming out here need to get lives... what difference does it make if the game gets a US release? You're NOT forced to buy every game that comes out in America.
 
Jul 12, 2005
15,250
0
0
djtiesto said:
People who are going out of their way to vote against this game coming out here need to get lives... what difference does it make if the game gets a US release? You're NOT forced to buy every game that comes out in America.
The point of the survey is to see interest level though, what's the point if everyone votes yes. If people have no interest in the title, it will tell Nintendo that we're interested in different products. To me, it's more of a are you interested in buying this survey rather than a do you care if it comes over survey.
 

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Jun 9, 2005
34,533
0
0
33
Puerto Rico
twitter.com
:lol

people actually voting against the game coming here? wtf? like tiesto said you aren't being held at gunpoint to buy the game, seriously this is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen.
 
Jul 12, 2005
15,250
0
0
Error2k4 said:
:lol

people actually voting against the game coming here? wtf? like tiesto said you aren't being held at gunpoint to buy the game, seriously this is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen.
The survey is about impressions of Tingle and the game, not about whether you'd like to see it brought to the US. I don't see how it's retarded to give an honest opinion about what you think, what the hell is the point of the survey, a circle-jerk about Tingle?
 

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Jun 9, 2005
34,533
0
0
33
Puerto Rico
twitter.com
so you are saying the people here that created another account in the Nintendo website just to have another chance to vote against this game getting released here are doing it out of interest?

because that's pretty ****ing sad if you ask me.
 
Jul 12, 2005
15,250
0
0
Error2k4 said:
so you are saying the people here that created another account in the Nintendo website just to have another chance to vote against this game getting released here are doing it out of interest?

because that's pretty ****ing sad if you ask me.
No, no, that pretty stupid, I wouldn't create another account just to vote more than once negatively, I'm just saying it's perfectly valid to vote and say I think Tingle is a dumb shit character and I'm not interested in the game. Then, in a fantasy world where NoA had any sway with NCL, NoA would say "a lot of people in America aren't too hot on this game, maybe you could make a game they'd like next time"