• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
Whether Smash will actually be able to compete with PSASBR is another question entirely.

It's obviously Sony's intention to take a big ol' bite out of SSB's popularity, but for them to actually succeed... that would be a surprise. To put it lightly.

Urvan

Banned
You know that Smash ripped off the arcade game made by Namco? the game name is "The Outfoxies"....Youtube link!
yea but the catch here is that, the ones who worked on this game worked on SSB.

Boss Man

It's obviously Sony's intention to take a big ol' bite out of SSB's popularity, but for them to actually succeed... that would be a surprise. To put it lightly.
Why do you think that? I think Sony is simply recognizing Smash's popularity and realizing that a mascot fighter is something that players want and will buy. I really don't think the intention of PS All-Stars is to take sales away from SSB, nor do I think it will.

Penguin

Kamiya should be thanking Sony. Smash is getting more advertisement from this and it will be more hyped as it has been set as a direct competitor to this game.

Whether Smash will actually be able to compete with PSASBR is another question entirely.

Wait.. Smash has to compete with PSASBR, and not the other way around?

You know that Smash ripped off the arcade game made by Namco? the game name is "The Outfoxies"....Youtube link!
yea but the catch here is that, the ones who worked on this game worked on SSB.

wowowow...that looks crazy fun to play *_*

And about the "ripping off" thing, it's just about the "platforming gameplay" or the "platform mascottes" use as characters?
Or the mix of them?

Because it seems so weird that there seems to be just 2 games about it, I'm sure there are more out there, maybe limited to just one franchise (ala Red Hot Rumble).

Urvan

Banned
Why do you think that? I think Sony is simply recognizing Smash's popularity and realizing that a mascot fighter is something that players want and will buy. I really don't think the intention of PS All-Stars is to take sales away from SSB, nor do I think it will.

It will definitely take away sales from SSB., if you think about it SSB. was the only worthwhile game in the genre, now that Sony made their version, Sony fans who used to play SSB. for the simple mechanic will not buy SSB. because they have their own version and their will be alot of people changing their preference, it's all because of console wars.

Penguin

It will definitely take away sales from SSB., if you think about it SSB. was the only worthwhile game in the genre, now that Sony made their version, Sony fans who used to play SSB. for the simple mechanic will not buy SSB. because they have their own version and their will be alot of people changing their preference, it's all because of console wars.

I don't think that's true at all.

IF you like Smash, you'll continue to buy Smash.
You just have another game in the market to play.
More options is never a bad thing.

Urvan

Banned
I don't think that's true at all.

IF you like Smash, you'll continue to buy Smash.
You just have another game in the market to play.
More options is never a bad thing.

I met all sort of people, this thing doesn't apply to me of course because I iwll buy PSASBR just to wait for SSB4....but alot of people love to play the loyalty game.....

Dragon

Banned
He is absolutely correct, Sony ripped off Nintendo, nothing new though since Sony always does that on a technical level now they do it on a software level as well with Sony Smash Bros.

What is the difference between "technical level" and "software level?" Were you referring to something else with the word technical?

Oh and i would love P-100 characters in The news Smash bros, P-100 alone has more memorable characters then any Sony character and it is a new IP.

Yeah I love the intricate plot to P-100. I was especially blown away by the twist that the events in P-100 actually take place at the same time as the events of P-101: Bayonetta gets a haircut. I fell in love with the characters, I really did.

I thought people were joking about that. If they're seriously comparing the two, then yeah...I need an explanation as well.

Most games are derivative of another game these days. We've been through how many console generations? I mean shit, Super Mario Brothers was derivative of a game like The Great Gianna Sisters, but you don't see many people complaining about that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
wowowow...that looks crazy fun to play *_*

And about the "ripping off" thing, it's just about the "platforming gameplay" or the "platform mascottes" use as characters?
Or the mix of them?

Because it seems so weird that there seems to be just 2 games about it, I'm sure there are more out there, maybe limited to just one franchise (ala Red Hot Rumble).

The genre is common - it's that most of them are in Japan.

Yeah I love the intricate plot to P-100. I was especially blown away by the twist that the events in P-100 actually take place at the same time as the events of P-101: Bayonetta gets a haircut. I fell in love with the characters, I really did.

Not sure if dissing P-100 is serious :/

Whats the difference between every fighting game ever? Characters, stages, mechanics.

What's the differences between All Stars and Smash Bros? Characters, stages, mechanics.

Can someone explain to me how Smash Bros. ripped off Fighters Megamix?

We can't. It's not a legitimate question and there's no legitimate answer because it's a statement that doesn't really make any sense.

There is a simple logic to that.

SSB didn't create arena fighters, so if people or saying that PASB is ripping off SSB they are going with the simple logic that the "mascots" crossover theme is the rip off. FMM is in fact an early example of that. So if it sounds silly... then it is.

Again I pointed out the term Mascot fighters only appeared recently and it is silly because it is still crossover but it seems that the term was created to stoke this silly battle of who-dun-it-first.

See. It has quickly dominated the vernacular.

The big thing here is that the idea is a "mascot beat em up" from a first party company's respective IPs or historically associated IPs

In that sense, it is pretty blatant where the inspiration came from (Smash Bros) and to suggest otherwise is fully and wholly disingenuous on any person's part. Its ridiculous seeing some of the round-about defensiveness that is coming from it...it was clearly inspired by Smash Bros' precedent. In that sense, Kamiya is correct.

Well using that logic..... Fighters Megamix.

The issue on one side is that (some of the) more Sony rooted fans are refusing to acknowledge where the obvious inspiration originated from (Smash Bros) and the issue on the other side is (some of the) more Nintendo rooted fans cannot seem to understand the game might play entirely differently the way Dead or Alive and Tekken are different. More fighters like this is never a bad idea. This is the video game industry, and ideas are "taken" all the time. Or are we going to start blasting Nintendo for copying Sony's "clicky" sticks?

The problem is that people have this nasty habit of taking something they favor and or is really popular and thinking that it is either the first or everything is simply influenced by it. While that may be correct in this case, it is worth pointing out that SB hasn't seem to say so. If the team is made up of people who know fighters than it is entirely possible that ideas were not influenced by SSB but by other fighters on the market that many people who are not fans of the genre don't seem to know exist.

TDLink

Kamiya should be thanking Sony. Smash is getting more advertisement from this and it will be more hyped as it has been set as a direct competitor to this game.

Huh? Kamiya has nothing to do with Smash Bros. Why should he even care?

7threst

Most games are derivative of another game these days. We've been through how many console generations? I mean shit, Super Mario Brothers was derivative of a game like The Great Gianna Sisters, but you don't see many people complaining about that.

This is a joke, right?

Think he is kidding. The two games aren't in competition because their selling points is the allure of fighting with known characters popular from franchises found in each library. Since there isn't much crossover they aren't really competing.

Boss Man

See. It has quickly dominated the vernacular.
I think the reality is just that 'mascot fighter' describes the draw of SSB in the first place. That's what SSB is, regardless of whether or not it was the first to do it.

What would you rather people say, "A game like SSB, you know with Mario and stuff but with different people this time for Sony."?

I think the reality is just that 'mascot fighter' describes the draw of SSB in the first place. That's what SSB is, regardless of whether or not it was the first to do it.

What would you rather people say, "A game like SSB, you know with Mario and stuff but with different people this time for Sony."?

Crossover. The Term is "Crossover". It has existed for a very long time and is a perfect word to describe these games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fighting_games#Crossover

Boss Man

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
ibdkbwa9Dcgh6p.png

Agreed.
Oh, now SSB4 has to compete with PASBR? That's funny. This thread continues to deliver.
Yes Hero, it certainly does :)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Why do people keep using the term "rip off" in regards to this? To me it naturally has negative connontations involved with it that might rile people up?

Gorillaz

I met all sort of people, this thing doesn't apply to me of course because I iwll buy PSASBR just to wait for SSB4....but alot of people love to play the loyalty game.....

This right here is a pretty damn good way to look at it all. It's been 4 years since brawl came out and im hype for a game like it.

King_Moc

Banned
It looks almost identical. If you showed someone that hadn't played either game a screen of each, they'd think it was the same game. All it looks like is that they came up with another rule set to go along with stock, timed and coin grab from ssb. Even the special moves are done in the exact same fashion. It's a rip-off and i can't believe they weren't too embarrassed to go through with it. It may as well be from Gameloft.

TDLink

Is there a reason you posted his tweets in my quote as if to imply I was referencing that? Because I don't like words being put in my mouth.

Kamiya was specifically asked what he thought about the game and responded. That is completely independent of your comment which I was addressing, in that he should "thank Sony". He has no cause to thank Sony for anything because he has nothing to do with the development of Super Smash Bros. 4.

And yes, SSB4 will have to compete with PSABR just like PSABR is right now going to have to compete with Brawl.The amount of competition it actually provides could be up for debate though (ie, by time Smash 4 is out PSABR has a good chance of being an afterthought in most peoples' minds).

Parallax

It looks almost identical. If you showed someone that hadn't played either game a screen of each, they'd think it was the same game. All it looks like is that they came up with another rule set to go along with stock, timed and coin grab from ssb. Even the special moves are done in the exact same fashion. It's a rip-off and i can't believe they weren't too embarrassed to go through with it. It may as well be from Gameloft.

What about lining up pics of games like doa, tekken and virtua fighter?

I like mascot fighter better for SSB and PS-All Stars :crossarms:

It better describes something like Mario fighting Luigi.

Although I guess PS All-Stars would arguably make more sense being called a crossover fighting game, with that leaked roster.

The game is called Super Smash Bros. The game is centered around characters from the mario franchise the other characters are crossovers. The game itself can still be described as crossover because of the sheer amount of characters from other franchises.

The them for all crossover is similar. Normally the rivalry between two characters is the main driving element or there is one uber powerful baddie.

Those look vastly different from each other other than it's similar visual style. IF you understood fighting games, you'd clearly see that.

They look different in motion. But simply showing pics of the games, especially of females squaring off, would fool anyone who didn't know these franchises into thinking they were the same. And I AM a fighting game fan. (Don't like tekken much but that is another story)

Jeff-DSA

He's right though. It's a pretty shameless lifting of the model that Nintendo laid out. The Supers are a poor replacement for Smashes though. Some of them are just straight stupid auto-win BS that cheapen the entire experience.

Parallax

Those look vastly different from each other other than it's similar visual style. IF you understood fighting games, you'd clearly see that.

That's my point. And is the issue I'm having with this. I've played one and seen the gameplay of the other, and other than being in the crossover multiplayer genre, I'm not seeing what makes people call this a rip off.

Jeff-DSA

That's my point. And is the issue I'm having with this. I've played one and seen the gameplay of the other, and other than being in the crossover multiplayer genre, I'm not seeing what makes people call this a rip off.

I've played both. In the case of All-Stars, there's still time for them to patch the game, make DLC changes, and whatnot, but you absolutely can tell that it's barely more than a clone when you compare them. SSB has better controls, however.

Hyuga

Banned

Now tell me how you really feel.
Meanwhile I will hold your hand.

btw. It doesn't "feel" like SSB ;)
Just play it for a few minutes.

Jeff-DSA

btw. I doesn't "feel" like SSB ;)

It's like SSB if you slopped up the controls a bit and slowed things down. Also if you added in some overpowered supers that kind of ruin things.

I tried to like the game. I basically ran to it at E3 and camped on the station as long as they'd let me and I went back several times. It's just...not good.

j.rob

Shots fired.

Can we please have a Smash vs Playstation All Stars garbage thread sometime in the near future? This thread is already bordering on garbage thread levels.

Pleaaaaaseee?

The hilarity would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom