• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Selects Tim Kaine As VP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaros

I don't think so. Kaine is not the person I want running as the Democratic nom in eight years. As someone who is to the right of Clinton, he's the wrong direction for the party from my perspective (and probably to many progressives).

Please list why. Without vague platitudes.

Bush also fought against anti-muslim rhetoric. Dude had some big faults, but he was still a statesman.

Bush might go down in history as one of the most important people to solve the AIDS crisis in Africa, along with other healthcare issues there. His commitments were large and he followed though, and is still incredibly well-loved there, even on the same level as Obama.

Bush was a bad president, but that doesn't mean he didn't accomplish some great things. And if the party would have simply followed some of his leads (compassionate foreign healthcare policy/aid, open immigration, building relationship with hispanic/latino immigrants, etc) then the GOP could be in a very strong place today. Instead they went the opposite direction and we see where it got the US.

I don't think so. Kaine is not the person I want running as the Democratic nom in eight years. As someone who is to the right of Clinton, he's the wrong direction for the party from my perspective (and probably to many progressives).

There's no guarantee that he will be the running nom in eight years (or four). Neither Biden or Cheney ran.

Klocker

him being vp doesn't mean he would automatically get the nomination in 8 years. A lot could change by then and he will have many Competitors if he chooses to go that route.

it's about right now and right now, it's about beating Trump and governing the country, which he seems to be well suited for. the future of the party will take care of itself.

Edit..
I voted for Bernie in the primary but sadly many of the vocal bernie people were youthful people who did not prove that they would get out and vote but social media they enjoyed sharing. I think this pick is leaning more towards attracting some normally conservative voters away from the crazy camp into a more centrist party that they could approve of.
while also appealing to the liberal left with the platform and Bernie's endorsement.

I totally agree.

I actually didn't realize that the majority of white men in the nation vote Republican. Obviously I knew that Republicans are made up of mostly white people but the word "majority" never really came to mind. I just never gave it much thought on a national level. And yes, that upsets me quite a bit. But nevertheless, from the data I was just looking at, the difference isn't so great that people should be saying "most white men". Majority is fine, but "most" seems superfluous or hyperbolic to the point that it risks coming across as racist.
You're really not going to like this post.

I absolutely believe "most" white Americans are either apathetic or actively antagonistic and racists towards people of color. This fact was certainly true when this nation was founded. It was still true at the beginning of the 20th century. It was true during the 1920s. It was true as recently as the 60s. I can not point to any subsequent period in this country where data suggests there was some sort of shift in the attitudes of the majority of white Americans wrt PoC. So if you disagree, taoofjord, tell me the year. When did it change?

And now we are at the precipice of one of the most important elections in history and the most openly xenophobic, bigoted man to win a party nomination in modern politics will still receive the blessing of the majority of white Americans in the country. That Donald J. Trump even has a legitimate shot at the White House is exclusively due to his support from white America. After 4 nights filled with hate mongering, Trump shouted "I AM YOUR VOICE!" and it's a shameful indictment of this country that this was perhaps the most honest thing he has said to date.

If you're white it probably isn't something that is pleasant to hear. I acknowledge it doesn't sound nice and it isn't conciliatory. You took issue with the word "most", but it's a nasty, abrasive truth and a harsh reality that I am struggling to acclimate to as a black American. I refuse to shy away from stating it plainly to avoid hurt feelings. "Most" white people are not my allies and every election cycle the Grand Old Party reminds me of this fact and will do so again this November.

Ok. That was amazing. Probably the best presentation speech ive seen. I like this guy.

A+ pick.
Yep. I said somewhat jokingly yesterday that it wouldn't be long before many people might start to prefer Kaine to Clinton. He is extremely personable, has the most consistency of anyone on either ticket and gushes warmth and likability in a way that overshadows Trump, Clinton and Pence.

The Clinton campaign did good here.

I absolutely believe "most" white Americans are either apathetic or actively antagonistic and racists towards people of color. This fact was certainly true when this nation was founded. It was still true at the beginning of the 20th century. It was true during the 1920s. It was true as recently as the 60s. I can not point to any subsequent period in this country where data suggests there was some sort of shift in the attitudes of the majority of white Americans wrt PoC. So if you disagree, taoofjord, tell me the year. When did it change?

And now we are at the precipice of one of the most important elections in history and the most openly xenophobic, bigoted man to win a party nomination in modern politics will still receive the blessing of the majority of white Americans in the country. That Donald J. Trump even has a legitimate shot at the White House is exclusively due to his support from white America. After 4 nights filled with hate mongering, Trump shouted "I AM YOUR VOICE!" and it's a shameful indictment of this country that this was perhaps the most honest thing he has said to date.

If you're white it probably isn't something that is pleasant to hear. I acknowledge it doesn't sound nice and it isn't conciliatory. You took issue with the word "most", but it's a nasty, abrasive truth and a harsh reality that I am struggling to acclimate to as a black American. I refuse to shy away from stating it plainly to avoid hurt feelings. "Most" white people are not my allies and every election cycle the Grand Old Party reminds me of this fact and will do so again this November.

As an older white male liberal, you are 100% right.

_Ryo_

*claps*

Amen.

Oh it's true, it's damn true

And it's sad but true

Xenophobia and racism is more prevalent than what people want to admit

Meowster

It's funny how there was all this doom and gloom about Hillary choosing someone "safe" and "boring" this past month but I have to say, now that people have seen the guy in action, people that watched his speech today, they seem to really like the guy. At least on my social media timelines. He could end up becoming a great asset. I'm all down for Clinton/Kaine.

Tarydax

Banned

Bless this post.

Fracas

#fuckonami

100% true unfortunately. I live in the south and I swear it's like we're still in the 1960s.

Apt101

Loved his speech, I voted for him. My home state is considered a "purple" state, but we consistently vote in some of the best the D party has to offer. Sometimes we elect ridiculous GOP governors, but hey, so do many other blue and blue-ish states.

Klocker

Oh it's true, it's damn true

And it's sad but true

Xenophobia and racism is more prevalent than what people want to admit

And it's only getting worse the more that less educated people lose or can no longer find the high paying jobs that existed prior to robots and cheap foreign labor as corporations moved abroad to make more money for its investors.

Unfortunately those same people predisposed to bigotry can not see nor understand those nuances and buy into the Trumpisms of "dark people" are causing them all this pain. (while ignoring the corporate greed and lack of continuing education) that led to this situation.

It's always easier to blame "them". I don't want to sound elitist but Bill Maher says it often. Many Americans are ignorant and or stupid. They are being influenced to vote against their own interests and when things won't work out yet again for lower middle class whites under Republican ideas, Trump will find more scapegoats while the rich get richer and the poor get more racist and angry

lenovox1

Most Bernie supporters wanted Warren as the VP, as they are fairly ideologically aligned.

Right. Sanders supporters would have been pissed with any other pick as every one else Clinton reportedly considered is to the right of her.

So you should people able to understand why they may not have been a big factor to her team, especially considering most Sanders voters already said they'd vote for Clinton.

Both Trump and Bernie are bold face liars about bringing back these factory jobs due to globalization. In what universe is a business going to stop using machines and increase their cost 100x by using less reliable and more expensive manual labor?

It's not about bringing those jobs back but creating new jobs in different fields. I feel sorry for those who have no specialized skill but they must re-educate and adapt. Trying to get back jobs that were shipped to India, China, Mexico is never going happen

Cyrano

Both Trump and Bernie are bold face liars about bringing back these factory jobs due to globalization. In what universe is a business going to stop using machines and increase their cost 100x by using less reliable and more expensive manual labor?
Subsidies is how they still do it now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...dize-mcdonalds-and-walmarts-low-wage-workers/

Worth noting that even on those subsidies, millions of workers still won't make a living wage.

The reality is more that capitalism is a failed system and that we now have too many people to create jobs for. We need a system where not everyone has or needs to work.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/133403-we-should-do-away-with-the-absolutely-specious-notion-that

“We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognizing this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living.”

Klocker

It's not about bringing those jobs back but creating new jobs in different fields. I feel sorry for those who have no specialized skill but they must re-educate and adapt. Trying to get back jobs that were shipped to India, China, Mexico is never going happen

It's easier to let someone else do it for you than to go out and make things change. They are making a deal, I'll vote for you, you will give me that 35/hr job again.... haha yea.

But never underestimate peoples' lack of understanding when it comes to going back to the glory days (even if god needs to get involved which many will believe)

Edit... There is one way to change it though but that involves punishing corporation by making them pay if they relocate. Don't know how that would impact the economy but revenue would increase as would jobs. Bernie I believe would try to do that, Trump, not sure how or if he would

pirata

I would have to say that you're right. It's embarrassing as a white person, but it's really true. Everyone has a certain level of racial bias imprinted into them from an early age, but the majority of white people in this country still actively embrace those biases and refuse to challenge them. Instead of improving living conditions for everyone and struggling for a society that is more understanding and tolerant of peoples' differences, most white people just want to be able to look down on others---people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ, non-Christians, you name it. That's what "anti-PC," "law and order," and "traditional values" are all about. They are the "real Americans," and they'll burn the world down if it allows them to remain an inch higher on the social totem poll and keep their race and religion the standard against which all other people are judged.

because to paraphrase Marky Mark, your average voter is like a mushroom, feed'em shit and keep them in the dark.

Metroxed

I've seen the video of him speaking/reading Spanish and it sounded somewhat robotic and he made quite a few grammatical mistakes, so I do not know if I'd call him a completely "fluent" Spanish speaker. It seemed to me he was struggling actually. It's the effort that counts I guess.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I've seen the video of him speaking/reading Spanish and it sounded somewhat robotic and he made quite a few grammatical mistakes, so I do not know if I'd call him a completely "fluent" Spanish speaker. It seemed to me he was struggling actually. It's the effort that counts I guess.

He didn't learn to speak Spanish until his Jesuit mission to Honduras, I believe, while he was in his sophomore year of university. He sounds pretty good to me for learning a new language so late in life.

Oriel

Great pick. Brings a wealth of executive experience while also knowing his shit. Spanish speaker as well. Kudos to Clinton.

GYODX

Seems the bar for foreign language fluency is set pretty damn low in the US.

His Spanish is labored, littered with elementary mistakes, and grating to listen to for most native Spanish speakers. Not because of the accent, but because of how often he gets the grammatical gender wrong. You won't get it if your native language doesn't have grammatical genders, but I swear that shit evokes a visceral response.

His listening comprehension is good, though. It seems he can keep up with a complex topic spoken at regular speed.

Overall, I'd say his Spanish is serviceable, but not fluent.

Another thing that is making me feel really good about this pick is that the Clinton camp really, really knows what they are doing, despite the popular chrorus ('he is boring', 'he is a safe pick'). It really speaks volume about her and how she will handle the presidency. She isn't perfect but she is damn good at this job.

His Spanish is labored, littered with elementary mistakes, and grating to listen to for most native Spanish speakers. Not because of the accent, but because of how often he gets the grammatical gender wrong. You won't get it if your native language doesn't have grammatical genders, but I swear that shit evokes a visceral response.

His listening comprehension is good, though. It seems he can keep up with a complex topic spoken at regular speed.

Ana Navarro and the lamestream pundits on CNN are claiming since Kaine wrapped up that he was very fluent with a near perfect accent lol.

Another thing that is making me feel really good about this pick is that the Clinton camp really, really knows what they are doing, despite the popular chrorus ('he is boring', 'he is a safe pick'). It really speaks volume about her and how she will handle the presidency. She isn't perfect but she is damn good at this job.

but who is? who has ever been? The "he/she isn't perfect" line is so tiring

Cyrano

I don't see how that is an indictment of capitalism. If not for capitalism supporting technological development we wouldn't be at a point where millions of people may not need to work in order for society to smoothly function. It just means that there needs to be more aggressive social welfare transfers of the surplus capital this system generates.
You're talking about a system that doesn't run on the principles of capitalism as a solution to it. A system that runs on greed (historians prefer to use the term profit because it sounds nicer) doesn't create a social welfare system.

Yeah, my Colombian mom disagrees with everything you said.

gdt

Come on man, he's an older white guy from Virginia.

His Spanish is amazing considering.

GYODX

The room full of native Spanish speakers I'm in cringed when I showed them a video of him speaking. And then there's the fact that I'm a native speaker, living in a Spanish-speaking country...

Here are the first couple of sentences of this interview he did, transcribed exactly as he says:

Yo creo es muy claro en la Constusición que necesitamos un autorozación definativa para este acción contra ISIL y el presidente no tiene el poder sin Congreso hacerlo. Yo tengo un propuesto de ley también con un autorozación de otros partes a una campaña de ataques por aéreo en Irak y Siria y también, y otros maneras para apoyar este asunto.

Quite good and serviceable for an older white guy who learned it as an adult, but by no means fluent unless you set the bar for fluency really low.

I wanna add that I've met many Spanish learners with obvious American accents but otherwise flawless Spanish, and that a 50-something white American guy I used to have for a professor had the most crisp and neutral sounding Spanish I've ever heard.

Valhelm

contribute something
The moral purity of the far left in the last few months has made me wonder if I wasn't a rabid right-winger afterall.

The United States electorate is moving to the left. Younger millennials and Gen Z didn't live through the Cold War or Reagan and are a lot less tolerant of unrestrained capitalism.

The Democrats will have to adapt of this, or we'll be seeing a lot more "Bernie or Bust" stuff in the future.

Metroxed

I am a native Spanish speaker from Spain and I agree fully with him. Calling Kaine a fluent speaker or his Spanish "amazing" is a huge stretch. Yes, he speaks the language to a level enough to get the job done I guess, but he is far from fluent.

From the things you've mentioned, only being old and being from Virginia are valid excuses. Being white has absolutely nothing to do with someone's ability to speak (or not) Spanish. And by the way, I've met many native English speakers (from both the US and UK) who spoke much better Spanish, so it is not "amazing", I'd say it is just "ok". He learned it as an adult and might not have used it very much, with gives him credit, especially because at least he's trying, that I think we can all agree.

sangreal

The room full of native Spanish speakers I'm in cringed when I showed them a video of him speaking. And then there's the fact that I'm a native speaker, living in a Spanish-speaking country...

Here are the first couple of sentences of this interview he did, transcribed exactly as he says:

Quite good and serviceable for an older white guy who learned it as an adult, but by no means fluent unless you set the bar for fluency really low.

Did you watch the speech today? Because you seem to be talking about an interview from years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom