• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Selects Tim Kaine As VP

Status
Not open for further replies.

manakel

Yeah, I mean, I'm sympathetic to people who don't like getting yelled at, but seriously grow up. If people yelling at you causes you not to stand up for what is right, then you are not a particularly strongly principled person and you should be told that. So I think we should be kinder and nicer to people because that is the right thing to do but I am not particularly fond of seeing this argument. And I've seen plenty of arguing over the last year! People do not really bend and change their minds easily if at all, so people are sure to catch feelings!

Either you care about protecting the country or you don't...hopefully you won't be deterred from this because people were mean to you on the internet.
I agree with your sentiments, but I disagree with the notion that people should grow thicker skin and "grow up." I will completely admit that Hillary Clinton is far from my preferable candidate, and I was completely on the fence about voting for her or voting for third party up until today. However, further research and in-depth, civil conversations between friends and family is what ultimately led me down the realization that the only viable option is for Hillary to win in November. Especially since I live in a swing state (Ohio).

The difference is, if the people I talked to about it would have come at me with this elitist sense of whatever -and questioned my intelligence, my will to fight for progressive causes, and the like, that has happened with other posters here- I would have been completely disinterested and tuned them out. That's what people tend to do when others are attacking them and dogpiling on them. Yes, it's just randos on the internet. And yes, that shouldn't persuade someone to vote one way or other. However, unless they are putting on some big, bad persona on the internet, that's pretty indicative of how they're speaking to others in their personal life.

I hope that all of you that are using this as an opportunity to attack everyone on the fence, that instead you choose to approach them in a way that doesn't automatically have them tune you out. Trump supporters use these tactics and it's abhorrent, but doing the same thing makes it somehow better because it's for a better cause? Come on. You guys are better than that. We are the party of compassion and acceptance, so start acting like it and speaking in that manner.

taoofjord

People need to read up on his past.

He sent his kids to majority black schools.

Learned Spanish when going om a Jesuit mission in Honduras.

People are a quick to discredit a white man just because of being a white man. But cmon people, Kaine is pretty empathetic towards other people.

Are you implying that the average white man isn't empathetic towards other people?

man, Kaine was terrific. this ticket is almost too good.

Icwutudidthar.jpg~c200

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What the fuck is this bitch on CNN going on about?

"I hope I don't have to brush up on my Dora the Explorer to understand him in the next weeks."

Question to Americans what exactly are your reputable television news stations because CNN while seemingly not being as bad as Fox is pretty fucking bad if it allows some outright xenophic trash like this on air.

Loxley

A lot of Republicans really seem to like Kaine. I'm surprised, it seems like all it really does take is a white guy to earn their favour. This might be Hillary's best play yet.

Not only is he a white guy, but he's a white guy who believes in Jesus (he was a missionary) and is technically anti-abortion.

Technically.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not only is he a white guy, but he's a white guy who believes in Jesus (he was a missionary) and is technically anti-abortion.

Technically.

Him and Biden basically have the same stance on the issue, I imagine he's gotta find a way to reword Biden's answer on abortion for the VP debate.

Better speaker than Hillary.
Relates awfully well to regular people.
Fights for minorities and actually gets shit done.
Champion of gun control.

Very impressive human being.

Plum

Just started watching the speech.

Yep, this guy is really going to help Clinton. Going straight in with the military danger Trump faces to America, I think they know what they're doing.

Other non-white people?

The majority of them vote Republican so... Do with that what you will.
Kaine's a Democrat though, so the reasoning doesn't apply. I would prefer a more diverse ticket, but to say Kaine's a bad pick because he's white is something else. I hope people get over it, the ticket is already historic as it is.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Question to Americans what exactly are your reputable television news stations because CNN while seemingly not being as bad as Fox is pretty fucking bad if it allows some outright xenophic trash like this on air.

PBS
NYT
NPR
ABC/CBS/NBC news
Washington Post

That's it.

Jenov

Nice :) An expected but solid pick. My heart wanted something exciting to mix it up, but this was the smarter route. Take no chances against Trump. Kaine seems like a straight up good dude too, so no complaints.

rjinaz

I can understand some of the sentiment. In the year 2016, we have 4 White people on the ticket. This country is moving away from the White majority so it is frustrating that minorities aren't better represented here. That being said, Clinton will be the first woman president and that's never happened either.

I think Kaine is a fine pick. I'm not going to say that there isn't a minority leader in politics that couldn't have done his job, but, I know Clinton has her reasons.

The Adder

Banned
Kaine's a Democrat though, so the reasoning doesn't apply. I would prefer a more diverse ticket, but to say Kaine's a bad pick because he's white is something else. I hope people get over it, the ticket is already historic as it is.

The person I'm responding to was asking if the poster they were responding to was implying that the average white male was unempathetic towards minorities because they were pointing out that Kaine's empathy is different from what was expected.

My response was that the majority of white males vote Republican, meaning that yes, this is the case.

RPGCrazied

Didn't know much about Tim, but after hearing him speak, my concerns are laid to rest. I feel very comfortable voting for this ticket.

rjinaz

if you have to pick between Fox News, CNN, or MSNBC, go with MSNBC. Rachel Maddow alone makes the channel preferable.

MSNBC is probably the best, for my money, but even they aren't particularly good. It's starling how bad American news media is. I've basically stopped watching/subing to any of them and stick with Al Jazeera.

lol what? shes barely beating a raist lunatic who has no campaign infrastructure

Barely? As of now, she has a pretty healthy lead on Trump based on polls, both nationally and demographically. The Diabloing thread rubbing off on you, maybe?

taoofjord

Other non-white people?

The majority of them vote Republican so... Do with that what you will.

A lot of good people are Republicans too. Don't make the mistake of thinking every Republican is now supporting Trump. To even suggest that every single white Republican is not empathetic to minorities is disgusting.

The Adder

Banned
A lot of good people are Republicans too. To even suggest that every single Republican is not empathetic to minorities is disgusting.

Look at the Republican platform.

If you vote for a party with that as their platform, you're not an empathetic person, no matter what you like to think of yourself. Fact.

Not this white male.

Right. Hence my responding in the affirmative that the average white male (in America at least) is unempathetic. Not all.

rjinaz

A lot of good people are Republicans too. Don't make the mistake of thinking every Republican is now supporting Trump. To even suggest that every single white Republican is not empathetic to minorities is disgusting.

That's not what was said. A lot are, I would even argue most, as in the majority. Just look at how we vote. It's disgusting. But no, not everybody. I'm not, a lot of GAFers aren't, millions aren't, but millions are.

taoofjord

Look at the Republican platform.

If you vote for a party with that as their platform, you're not an empathetic person, no matter what you like to think of yourself. Fact.

And what about Republicans or those that lean Republican that end up voting for Clinton/Kaine? Or the people who will abstain from voting because for whatever reason they don't want Clinton/Kaine elected?

Joeku

Boy, I'm watching his speech now and he is way more conversational than anyone else in the limelight. Not that it's the thing I judge politicians on, but Kaine is the prime "I'd like to have a beer with" candidate, right? Dude seems like a friendly neighbour.

The Adder

Banned
And what about Republicans or those that lean Republican that end up voting for Hillary/Kaine? Or the people who will abstain from voting?

Good thing my exact words were "most white males vote Republican" and "If you vote for a party with that platform" then, isn't it?

Mind, not voting for Trump doesn't mean they're not voting for Republican Governors and Congressmen who support the same platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom