• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroki Kato (Vanquish/God Hand lead designer, RE:CV director) has become a farmer

rvy

Banned
I can't even.

ibawdgXTzrMGKs.gif

The Boat

That's an interesting and bold choice. I saw in a documentary that here in Portugal there are some young people moving to farming too, although I doubt this is a significant phenomenon and probably just reporters blowing it out of proportions with a few cherry picked cases, I wonder if this is something that's happening in several places around the globe.

Being too attached to technologies and all the trappings of modern society, sometimes I stop and wonder if a simpler life could be much more fulfilling.

Empty

<3 this. even if it means missing his amazing design work with mikami, this choice - of boldly changing your life so radically to hopefully realize a more harmonious existence - is so awesome. what a guy.

With his new life experiences he should design the most badass crazy harvest moon spin off of all time.

BREAK THE LIMITER ON YOUR CROPS

Good for him. Get out and have a simpler life. This industry seems pretty toxic and I imagine it can wear on you, even if you're generally loved.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Applying his expertise towards the Character Action Farming genre, I see.

Xpliskin

Sitting in front of computer screens for that many years can burn someone out. The games he worked on won't be forgotten :D

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That's an interesting and bold choice. I saw in a documentary that here in Portugal there are some young people moving to farming too, although I doubt this is a significant phenomenon and probably just reporters blowing it out of proportions with a few cherry picked cases, I wonder if this is something that's happening in several places around the globe.

Being too attached to technologies and all the trappings of modern society, sometimes I stop and wonder if a simpler life could be much more fulfilling.

When we moved to rural Pennsylvania, we started growing some food every season to take advantage of farmable land we're on. Nothing major, just for ourselves to eat. It does provide a contrast to, and a break from, the bullshit that people invent in the so-called civilized world.

I think there comes a point when one may realize most of what we are presented with as a "productive" life isn't actually producing anything and amounts to moving paper around or putting boxes in boxes. Growing some food has restored a bit of perspective. While I'm not planning on starting a working farm, I think I can now see the attraction.

_Ryo_

The irony is he probably has more creative freedom as a farmer than as a game designer. Sell more product too.

When we moved to rural Pennsylvania, we started growing some food every season to take advantage of farmable land we're on. Nothing major, just for ourselves to eat. It does provide a contrast to, and a break from, the bullshit that people invent in the so-called civilized world.

I think there comes a point when one may realize most of what we are presented with as a "productive" life isn't actually producing anything and amounts to moving paper around or putting boxes in boxes. Growing some food has restored a bit of perspective. While I'm not planning on starting a working farm, I think I can now see the attraction.

You know I never understood the romanticized view of Farming, a good portion of America seems to have since here in India, farmer suicides due to poverty is a thing and they are little more than beggars who have to pay for expensive imported seeds the government forces them to buy

and you thought Grapes of Wrath was bleak.

massoluk

Banned
This feels like the start of an action movie.

Ten years from now, when all that remains are mobile F2P games...
"I gave up that life a long time ago."
"Mr. Kato, gaming needs you.

Then God Hand 2 comes out.

In a world where game industry was taken over by generic shooters and mobile game ripoff, in a world where heroes and pioneers were lost in the sand of time and changes and bankruptcy and unstainable business models, one man will return to save the industry.

"I gave up that life a long time ago." Kato put down the hoe, swiping down his sweat.
"Mr. Kato, gaming needs you."

*Explosion.*
"Shit, EA just killed another developer."
"What do we do?"
"We make Vanquish 2."
*Fade to Black*

The Developer
A Michael Bay Film
Coming Spring 2016.

In a world where game industry was taken over by generic shooters and mobile game ripoff, in a world where heroes and pioneers were lost in the sand of time and changes and bankruptcy and unstainable business models, one man will return to save the industry.

"I gave up that life a long time ago." Kato put down the hoe, swiping down his sweat.
"Mr. Kato, gaming needs you."

*Explosion.*
"Shit, EA just killed another developer."
"What do we do?"
"We make Vanquish 2."
*Fade to Black*

The Developer
Coming Spring 2016.

The dialogue is the same if he became a pimp instead of a farmer...

Grisby

As someone who used to spend his summers working a farm, good luck. Hard stuff but it is nice to be outside most if the day.

And thanks for Code Veronica, one of my favorite re's and a hell of a dreamcast game.

Hag

he's gonna be prolly the most badass motherfucker farmer of japan.

I wish him all the luck.

rip vanquish 2

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
he's gonna be prolly the most badass motherfucker farmer of japan.

I wish him all the luck.

rip vanquish 2

I don't think there was a chance for Vanquish 2 even before this news, Vanquish bombed, Mikami went to Tango and SEGA (IP owner) seems to not even want remember their time with P.G.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I wish him the best. Vanquish has to be one of the most underrated games of all time.

doemaaan

I wouldn't be able to do it. I assume he was living in a city-like environment before. Now I picture some guy living out in the middle of nowhere with nothing but wheat fields and cows. I don't have the mental strength to change my life-style that drastically.

h#shdem0n

Yes you do. A lot of the different forms of farming in Japan are heavily subsidised.

Still, an interesting career change.

I don't know anything about Japanese agricultural politics, hopefully they are less fucked up than they are in the US. I hope I'm wrong and he is happy and fulfilled, spiritually and materially.

Fehyd

Banned

Replace it with Vanquish 2 and I'm on board.

Neiteio

This sounds amazing.

Also, must be the most exciting farm in the world, Kato rocket-sliding everywhere

Top Bottom