• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy Review Prediction Thread

Where does the review average land for Hogwarts Legacy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dottme

Except all the previews today saying it is a good game?? Lol
I’m also on the 80 stuff. The preview looks good but it looks like a lot of things were under control. they might hide some stinking point. But I hope nothing too bad.

I expect a low 80s score.
The creators of this game only have mediocre shit in their resume so I cannot expect a banger with an above 85 or even 90 score.
83-84 seems realistic if it does make some things right.

Last edited:

Jaybe

The score will either be an even number or an odd number, but it doesn’t get to be both even if it really wants to

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
That's not a bad point, but in the end the leadership/vision/core development of the game comes from Portkey. It's no different than saying Ghostwire Tokyo should've been phenomenal because while it was developed by Tango Gameworks, they're owned by Bethesda and should have help from id, Arkane, and the talent behind Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

The reality is different though.

Still, I have high confidence that Hogwarts will be very good!

I have no idea what the development culture is at WB Games versus Bethesda. I can not imagine it is the same. WB Games is a corporate developer through and through; Arkane, id and Tango Gameworks are boutique studios with - I'm sure - a greater degree of flexibility.

. . .all this is to say it is HIGHLY dubious that Portkey got this and WB was like "We've seen what you've done, we shall leave you to it" especially for all the reasons people keep bringing up to be "worried" about the game (and to not trust folks "lying eyes").

Also they didn’t allow footage of potions class which has real world timers(as briefly shown before) which… stinks of F2P type “rush” mechanics that we haven’t heard of yet. I hope I’m wrong, but this is ultimately EA so don’t be shocked by anything shitty they ruin this potentially great game with.

This is why developing this game must be frustrating for AVALANCHE/Port Key. Like people can't even get right what they're meant to be upset about.

I have no idea what the development culture is at WB Games versus Bethesda. I can not imagine it is the same. WB Games is a corporate developer through and through; Arkane, id and Tango Gameworks are boutique studios with - I'm sure - a greater degree of flexibility.

. . .all this is to say it is HIGHLY dubious that Portkey got this and WB was like "We've seen what you've done, we shall leave you to it" especially for all the reasons people keep bringing up to be "worried" about the game (and to not trust folks "lying eyes").

This is why developing this game must be frustrating for AVALANCHE/Port Key. Like people can't even get right what they're meant to be upset about.

Yes, I'm sure WB is doing everything they can/providing as many resources as they can to ensure that the game turns out great. I'm just saying that that's not always a given, even with extra resources being thrown at it. Look at 343 with Halo Infinite and all the help Microsoft purportedly allocated to the development of that game as it neared release.

Elitro

My optimist guess is 80+

Bias can work both ways, there is also a big void for good harry potter games. If the game is any good the fans will be over the moon and could also inflate the score.

Fuz

Banned
I'd say 85-89.

Edit: Forgot the level of soy in gaming journalism. Maybe 80-85.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I picked below 70.
The reason being is that it looks like a 7-8/10 to me from the gameplay vids i have seen.
Then add in the sjw nonsense and reviewers being scared shitless of them, and yeah i can see plently of 5-7 scores coming.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
80-84 seems possible but that's without the "retardera" factor, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gaming "journalist" are a joke, this job is dead a long time ago...

Last edited:

Krathoon

I bet every mainstream review will complain about Rowling. 80-85.

...but you never know. The game might have a really amazing end game. It might have a twist.

Last edited:

Krathoon

They way they have been so quiet about the game, I would not be surprised that it has some twists in the story.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
7/10 not because of the drama, but at every showing it looks slightly worse. You know something like Forespoken, but not as cringe.

Arun1910

Easily 80 minimum. I think its going to be solid from a gameplay perspective.

Story and Side Quest depth will be what makes this closer to mid 80's

For genuine reviews that are doing their job of just critiquing the actual game itself, on the merits, I'm betting 85-90 MC.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
80-84

p2xlUIT.gif

Freeza93

Banned
Ppl are to harsh here hogwarts is like assassins creed with harry potter skin and simply this universe. It will not reinvent gaming but what it does will be good as far as we see. They showed plenty of gameplay. Previews.

( yes previews were heavily restricted in what they can show in videos)

Mozzarella

I am thinking around 83-86.
Reviews are going to be politically/socially biased sadly, gone are the days where mainstream journalist reviews are about how the game works.
Its better to watch your favorite reviewers on Youtube, ACG is pretty good example, he talks about the game itself by dividing it to categories based on gaming development.

Last edited:

LoveCake

I have gone for 90+.
I think they know that they cannot mess the game up like other franchise games and it's been a long time in development, it has also been trending on and off on social media and the hype has been building slowly and steadily.
The recent calls for boycotting the game will get both sides wanting the game to sore or bomb.

damidu

game will not get a fair aggregate score because of all the campaigning against it for sure.
which is shame because its the game i wanted to rely on reviews before buying.
(zero interest in franchise, but looks interesting)

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Decent reviews but points knocked off for the inevitable paragraphs / soapbox speeches of elephant in the room moments.

Fear of being cancelled by the mob otherwise.

Last edited:

mdkirby

84-86 I recon, a decent and sizeable game with a lot of fan service let down a bit by some average combat and jankiness here and there.

Lone Wolf

Why have none of you nerds said 9 3/4 yet?

anyway, I expect about 80. No way any of these outlets give it 90 or above, even if it deserves it.

They way they have been so quiet about the game, I would not be surprised that it has some twists in the story.

I hope so. That's the only part of the game that hasn't really gotten me excited yet. A goblin rebellion story sounds pretty boring, on paper.

Guilty_AI

Gonna be a lot of unfair reviews imo.
I think they'll review it fairly (these people suck too much corpo dick to dismiss a big release/IP just like that), but a lot of them will probably put some "disclaimer" in their reviews about how they don't support JKR, how she's evil, "here donate to this trans support group" and whatever.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I rated 70-74 because I think there will be “protest grading” and very harsh criticisms. Kind of like what we saw from some outlets for Days Gone just x10.

Top Bottom