• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy SHIT! I'm on the NEWS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
That is quite possibly the lamest thing I have seen in my life.

I find it incredible they focused on you for so long.

Manics

Banned
Sonki. said:
Also, I purposly extended the thumbs up, for a lot of reasons, or maybe just two.

A) This last standing cameraman waited for hours to get a shot of me, so I didn't want to give him footage he wanted.

B) He was muttering shit to me, asking if I was proud. So thumbs up was the most family friendly "**** you".

You must be so proud.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
http://wgntv.trb.com/news/wgntv-news-031306cellphone,0,5308400.story

WGNTV CoverStory: Cell Phone Crackdown

March 13, 2006

A nationwide poll by Chicago-based Synovate finds the majority of Americans say they would die without their cell phones and e-mail. Yet a vast majority also say they see user rudeness every single day. What's happening to our manners?

Pardon the theatre. It's to demonstrate the type of rudeness that's going on everyday in business meetings, college classrooms, and in one-on-one conversations. No one we spoke with blames the technology. But when you ask people how we're using it, expect an earful.

"In the old days if someone was walking down the street talking to themselves, you just thought they were crazy," says Ina Pickney, owner of Ina's Restaurant.

"People tend to talk louder on cell phones," says Noel Wessely, an IIT student.

"It's just rude," says Stephanie Gouge, a visitor from California.

"What in the world is the purpose of a text message? You have a phone in your hand," says Linda Gouge.

"...in the movies and at the theatre," says Joyce Rubin of Wilmette.

"What about a funeral or a wedding? Come on," says Peter Post, etiquette expert.

"There is no like etiquette academy for technical gadgets," says Jo Mackiewicz, an IIT assistant professor.

Dr. Jo Mackiewicz teaches technical communication at the Illinois Institute of Technology. She also researches politeness.

"When people are looking at gadgetry, they are not engaging in the way that we expect them to do to create a polite conversation," Mackiewicz says.

Portable technology is required at IIT. Yet it's downright maddening for professors who are losing eye contact to computer screens and dealing with constant disruptions.

"I've had a lot of classes where cell phones keep going off. I've had professors walk out and leave the class for the day," says Matthew an IIT student.

"It's not the technology that's wrong, it's how we use them," Post says.

Peter Post is the great grandson of Emily Post, the woman who wrote the book on how Americans should behave.

"It's not just about that fork OK," Post says.

He too is an author and travels the country keeping business etiquette up with the times.

"Do you encounter people using cell phones rudely?" Post says.

But smart phones with wireless e-mail like Blackberrys, Treos, and sidekicks, are emerging as the newest routes to rudeness. Post says people are thumb-typing so often and inappropriately that CEO's are giving them a thumbs down.

"People have to turn them off and put them away when they go into a meeting so that there is no question about where the person's attention is," Post says.

"That person's sending a message that what's going on here is of secondary importance." "Exactly!" Post says.

The way that we control the electronic media is for us to be the master of it rather than a (edit word flub) slave to it.

Ina Pinkney is the chef/owner of Ina's restaurant in the West Loop.

She greets each guest like long time friends, but has zero tolerance for electronic intrusions.

"I'm not buying into the fact that when you're coming out to lunch with other people that you are that important that you can't have 45 minutes and pay attention to the people with whom you're eating," Ina says.

She's also annoyed with gadgets on her tables.

"Many times they will go (look at it). I mean that's sort of akin to someone that keeps looking at their watch. It negates your being there," Ina says.

And if you come in with lights flashing over your ear, Ina just might be in your ear.

Cingular too uses high tech humor to spread the message that movies and cell phones don't mix.

But what if a phone does go off during a movie, or worse someone takes the call. Do you say something?

"Wow that would just depend on a ton of factors," Mackiewicz says.

"I might give a dirty look, but I probably wouldn't say anything," Linda Gouge says.

"I've squirmed and turned," Rubin says.

"I'd prefer to just find a quieter place to sit," says Andrea Flaherty of CNA.

"I think if you know the person you certainly can correct them. If you don't know the person, you gotta be very, very careful," Post says.

"I think a lot of people are not conscious of the fact if someone would say something to them they would be," says Nancy Kantor, a patron at Ina's.

So while all of this electronic wizardry has made our lives easier, it's also made it a lot more complicated.

"We're trying to do so many things these days that consideration of where you are and how you're using your technology and meetings like this on etiquette are going to become more and more important," Flaherty says.

"I want people to learn to think about what they do before they do it, having thought about it, make choices that make the people around you feel good," Pos says.

Post wants to make sure the one thing we don't communicate with all this technology is rudeness. Easily tech etiquette rules are evolving and this subject could consume the entire newscast.

And if we can't correct rudeness ourselves, a New York company is developing a high tech paint capable of blocking cell phone signals, in essence solving the problem for us.

AniHawk

Grizzlyjin said:
s22717292.jpg

:lol

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
You look creepy in that video. And you're a f*cking idiot of epic proportions. I hope you get arrested for "assualt with deadly idiocy".

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
A stupid act? Yes. But I forgive you eight times over thanks to that AWESOME THUMBS UP SEQUENCE. Seriously man, I was howling. :lol

WalkMan

Banned
The thumbs-up rule states about 3-5 seconds max, you've just broken the rule. After that amount of time it becomes simply retarded. :lol

Jado

Banned
Hilarious vid, but I was looking for this vid since I've seen it before. Are you sure you haven't posted this here before? Can't remember where else I would've come across this.

Jado said:
Hilarious vid, but I was looking for this vid since I've seen it before. Are you sure you haven't posted this here before? Can't remember where else I would've come across this.

So I'm not crazy. This has been posted before. I kept checking the posts dates. -_-

PolyGone

Banned
you expect us to believe you just found a shotgun style bb in a classroom of your highschool? come on... either you or your friends snuck it into school and planned this thing from the start.

however... they really should be thanking you guys for testing their lock down policies in the event something like this happens. Sure, your little stunt probably sucked up resources, preventing people who really needed help from getting it on time, but in the end its the childrens who count

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
PolyGone said:
you expect us to believe you just found a shotgun style bb in a classroom of your highschool? come on... either you or your friends snuck it into school and planned this thing from the start.

however... they really should be thanking you guys for testing their lock down policies in the event something like this happens. Sure, your little stunt probably sucked up resources, preventing people who really needed help from getting it on time, but in the end its the childrens who count

Can't you read? It wasn't actually a BB gun. Calm it on the judgements here; sheesh.

PolyGone

Banned
eXxy said:
Can't you read? It wasn't actually a BB gun. Calm it on the judgements here; sheesh.

whether it was a BB or not wasn't my point. My point is he claims in his op that he just "found it" there, and I find that hard to believe.

FightyF

Banned
PolyGone said:
whether it was a BB or not wasn't my point. My point is he claims in his op that he just "found it" there, and I find that hard to believe.

thumbsuptl5.jpg

Well it's true, everyone in his grade can confirm it. Heck, maybe there's another poster here who went to that high school. :p

demon

I just noticed in the video that you wear your belt such that the buckle is intentionally off to the side. That's, like, Oliver-level douchebaggery.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
demon said:
I just noticed in the video that you wear your belt such that the buckle is intentionally off to the side. That's, like, Oliver-level douchebaggery.

I noticed you checking out his waistline. Now THAT is douchebaggery.

demon

PantherLotus said:
I noticed you checking out his waistline. Now THAT is douchebaggery.
Yeah ya really got to squint to see that, don't ya.

kablooey

The funny part is that not only does he hold the thumbsup, but also the smile for however long the camera was fixed on him. :lol I can see the occasional extended thumbsup, but thumbsup + cheeseball smile? You don't see that very often.

FightyF

Banned
kablooey said:
The funny part is that not only does he hold the thumbsup, but also the smile for however long the camera was fixed on him. :lol I can see the occasional extended thumbsup, but thumbsup + cheeseball smile? You don't see that very often.

Y'know what really impressed me was the strafing by the cop car to keep the thumbs up and smile in perfect view. I would have liked to see the entire strafe plus the walk backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom