• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution (Crytek/DS, open world, co-op), XB1/PS4/PC, 2015, Trailer

jond76

Banned
Yeah, the whole premise turns me off a lot more than it should. I like far-fetched scenarios in my videogames as much as the next guy, but a country of 25 million occupying the United States is just in no way feasible or realistic.

Wait.

Is the first game about a North Korea invasion? Because LOL.

in the first game NK expands majorly into other parts of asia i believe.

Last time.

It doesn't take place tomorrow, it takes place in the 2020s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VilBSwFFfyg

This trailer has that Killzone feel.

Open world and coop is nice though. I didn't like the first Homefront but this one, if done right, can be fun.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I find it hilarious that people are upset about this concept... You got games with aliens taking over the USA, zombies taking over the USA, apes taking over the USA, and North Korea taking over the USA is off-limits.

Well with the exception of apes (What are you referring to here actually, Planet of the Apes? That was a nuclear war followed by apes evolving to primacy.) all of those are significantly more believable than North Korea.

Same reason?

I'm not sure the sales potential is very high there though. THQ I can see thinking that since they also investing in all sorts of bad bets, but Deep Silver is pretty reasonable.

Tobor

I find it hilarious that people are upset about this concept... You got games with aliens taking over the USA, zombies taking over the USA, apes taking over the USA, and North Korea taking over the USA is off-limits.

Aliens, zombies, and apes are all more plausible than North Korea.

Servbot24

Banned
You have to do more than say "This game is in genre X" to be interesting. There are tons of open world games. Who cares. Need to see something that's actually interesting.

Still salty that this is what Crytek UK have been working on rather than a new Timesplitters.

Need to see more than a CG trailer before I pass judgment.
Oh shit, I'd completely forgotten FRD was bought by Crytek. Hopefully they'll give this thing some personality.

Or you know, in a way that fits the pseudo-serious sci-fi nonsense tone they're apparently going for. The enemies being Darth Shredder's a bit weird, but I dig the zeppelins. Zeppelins are always great.

jond76

Banned
This is not a valid argument for North Korea becoming a superpower and successfully taking over the US.

We're talking about a nigh-bankrupt nation where people are starving and have almost nothing.

Oh I realize that. But I think people were under the impression that the game was set now and NK invaded tomorrow. I was just trying to illustrate that a touch more thought was put into it.

I find that intro awesomely creepy.

As if a fat Italian plumber could double jump.

But Mario isn't setting up a believable world, Homefront is. N Korea could never occupy USA, it's a small nation with 20 million population, it just doesn't work how they occupy a country 15x the size.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As if a fat Italian plumber could double jump.

Okay so there's a notable tonal difference here.

If this was like Team America: Defending The Homefront, then yes North Korea invading would be totally on topic. The main character could even shoot sheep cannons and turn into a fighter jet like that plane gif.

However, when they're sitting in previews trying to sell it as a dead serious emotionally engaging story in a really compelling setting, having your basic premise not make sense is kind of off target.

People are still arguing over the unlikelihood of a Korean invasion, when this game has freakin' war zeppelins.

Or I guess maybe you're talking exclusively about the first game?

gribbles

Banned
So are you telling me they went from standard military hardware to futuristic, high-tech prototype weaponry in less than FOUR YEARS??? Gimme a fucking break.

This is not a valid argument for North Korea becoming a superpower and successfully taking over the US.

We're talking about a nigh-bankrupt nation where people are starving and have almost nothing.

I'm fairly certain that it was originally going to be China, but this was changed during development due to a backlash.

takoyaki

Just read the Eurogamer preview. The focus on guerrilla tactics, cobbling together weapons and using your equipment to survive reminds me a lot of the early previews I read of Homefront1. I hope Crytek follows through on those ideas, because that version of Homefront 1, before it was turned into "Modern Warfarce - Press X to jump into mass grave", sounded really interesting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm fairly certain that originally the US would be occupied by China in Homefront, but this was changed during development due to a backlash.

Yes, that's actually the case:

Gamasutra said:
And many feel his creative input ultimately made the game better -- with one exception. It was Bilson's idea to make North Korea the occupying force of Homefront, despite how unlikely a significant U.S. invasion by such a small nation would be. Most North Korean confrontations with America have been little more than posturing.

The premise was widely questioned in the press, which caused the team some stress. According to our sources, Kaos had originally envisioned the invaders as Chinese, but THQ feared that such a portrayal would hurt its prospects for business in China, which has in recent years rapidly begun offering more and more opportunities for Western game developers.

Kaos suggested a coalition of Asian nations instead, but Bilson passionately preferred the Korea idea, and so it stood. An ex-staffer describes this as "demoralizing," in that the implausibility of the premise felt "stupid" to the team, and it was also frustrating for employees to see most of the press at that stage questioning the idea rather than looking seriously at the game.
Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/173660/kaos_descends_how_homefronts_.php?page=2

The premise was so bad the team making the game felt demoralized and the team felt it notably hurt their PR. :lol

GavinUK86

Well with the exception of apes (What are you referring to here actually, Planet of the Apes? That was a nuclear war followed by apes evolving to primacy.) all of those are significantly more believable than North Korea.

I'm not sure the sales potential is very high there though. THQ I can see thinking that since they also investing in all sorts of bad bets, but Deep Silver is pretty reasonable.

Next time I see an alien invasion movie or a game I'm definitely going to question how probable it is before I buy it... or I might not even buy because it doesn't sound like it could happen.

So are you telling me they went from standard military hardware to futuristic, high-tech prototype weaponry in less than FOUR YEARS??? Gimme a fucking break.

Yeah I was wondering about that; what year this is supposed to be? Because it kind of looks like the future in Terminator.
If it's just four years between events, then that certainly seems weird.

dr_rus

Well let's see how it will turn out. Maybe China will invade US already occupied by North Korea just for nukes and space combat. This would be very CoD/BF'esque and Crytek isn't known for sensible plots.

Squalor

North Korean invasion aside, Homefront was just a top-to-bottom bad game.

This has interesting elements, but it could easily turn out bad.

And "open world" doesn't instantly make this "good."

Are you guys really arguing about the plausibility of N. Korea being able to invade the US? Does it matter? It's a video game.

Anyway, I hope this game is better than the last.

I was told they drew inspiration from City 17 in HL2 so I'm interested at least.

Wait, you're back?

Looks a bit more interesting than the original, and the open world is intriguing. 2015?
Here's hoping that someone is making a Donald comic for E3:
E3 2014
Everything was 2015

Logash

Not even a little bit interested in the Homefront series but this game takes place in a city that I have lived in for 22 years and it's an open world. I'm in.

semiconscious

Gold Member
No thank you. Who asked for this? And what a boring reveal trailer. What were they thinking?

EDIT: And North Korea as the main foe seems even more ridiculous this time around than the last.

:)

attempting to somehow frame americans as underdogs obviously, at this point, requires an enormous amount of suspended belief. would've worked much better with, say, bankers than koreans...

It seems like it's best to just forget the first game happened since all it does is create these irritating air bubbles in the story glue. Blablablah, and then Korea was nazi Halo.

Top Bottom