• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeland - Season 4 - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingkitty

inX1hfpTL02Ul.gif

alright lets do this

Major potential spoilers

Brody is still somehow alive in this right? I mean, he was pictured on set recently. Could be a flashback but I also have a friend who went for a casting/audition and was told he's not dead. I can't remember how she found out exactly but I dunno, I wouldn't be too surprised.

P4y2VLn.png

no...

7bdGmsP.jpg

no thank you

DBT85

Wow. I thought the show was over at the end of last season.

I suppose I'm back in.

Bet Brody appears in an ep.

Dany

Banned
I demand Ghost Brody as Carrie's secret adviser.

It's weird to see the critics thrash season 3 so heavily when the horrible season 2 was so so so much worse and yet was heaped with praise. I thought season 3 was a pretty good improvement over 2 so I'm looking forward to 4 with a renewed sense of excitement, especially since the Brody's are gone.

Season 3 was better than 2. Thats for sure. I think most critics and viewers are excited that the Brodys are no longer a factor.

jett

D-Member
Major potential spoilers

Brody is still somehow alive in this right? I mean, he was pictured on set recently. Could be a flashback but I also have a friend who went for a casting/audition and was told he's not dead. I can't remember how she found out exactly but I dunno, I wouldn't be too surprised.

I hope this is true, because it would be hilarious.

Yeah fuck it, I'll watch this season. It's a decent show overall, and Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin are great. I liked Brody but I won't miss his family (especially considering I skipped most of their scenes in S3).

Major potential spoilers

Don't you toy with us like this...

- Slate: Homeland Is Good Again - For now, at least.
Why, after all that transpired, would you let such a series back into your life? Season 4 of Homeland appears to be genuinely engaged with this question. It seems humbled, implicitly apologetic about the mistakes that came before. The result is a series shorn of many of its complications, some of its over-reaching, and much of its implausibility. It is still psychologically astute, but it has become a much more straightforward, and largely effective, spy show. If you do not want to let Homeland back into your heart, that’s understandable. But maybe let it crash on your couch for a probationary period.

- Maureen Ryan's review:
"Homeland" appears to be aging backward; it started out as a mature tale employing a sophisticated arsenal of dramatic strategies, but it has gotten more adolescent over time. Another way to sum up the evolution of "Homeland" from Season 1 to Season 4 is to say that it used to approach characterization with a scalpel, but over time, it began using a hammer instead.

It's weird to see the critics thrash season 3 so heavily when the horrible season 2 was so so so much worse and yet was heaped with praise. I thought season 3 was a pretty good improvement over 2 so I'm looking forward to 4 with a renewed sense of excitement, especially since the Brody's are gone.

TV critics seem to be pretty slow to realize when shows have taken a turn for the worse.

Episode by episode, S2 of Homeland got pretty solid reviews, but then at the end of it, the critics all looked back and were like, "Wait a sec—this season sucked!"

I got about four episodes into S3 and quit, but I've kept up with the general storyline through recaps and reviews. I might just forego watching the rest of S3 and start fresh with S4.

A few more reviews:

Oregonian said:
It's an even greater relief, then, to report that, based on the first two episodes of "Homeland" Season 4 -– which premieres Sunday, Oct. 5, with both episodes airing back-to-back in a two-hour block – Brody is still dead. And "Homeland" shows signs of coming back to creative life.
Vox said:
It's still good. It's still interesting. It's still, intermittently, vital. But it's no longer brilliant, and the gap between that and what it is now is even more frustrating than if it had just become utterly terrible.

More reviews:

Newsday said:
Homeland's fourth season feels as fresh, important and relevant as yesterday's news--or tomorrow's news. A bracing, intelligent start.
TV Guide said:
As Carrie ruthlessly, recklessly pursues answers to how they got into this mess, at peace only when she's at war, Homeland regains much of its dramatic power by taking us far from home and making us wonder that if someone like Carrie is our best hope, should we just abandon hope?
Denver Post said:
The series has some work to do to extricate its characters from the hole it dug in season 3.
Philadelphia Daily News said:
You'll still need to suspend disbelief to accept her as someone the CIA could trust again, much less as anonymous enough for clandestine work. But if you can make the leap, it looks as if the post-Brody world still has stories worth telling.

Double-episode season premiere tonight:
The Drone Queen; Trylon and Perisphere

Carrie makes a critical decision; Saul struggles to adjust to his new role; Quinn spirals out of control; new information is revealed.

Season 1 was AMAZING. Season 2 was great (catching
Brody in the hotel is still the highlight of the show).
Season 3 was quite frankly, awful.

With all that said, I'll definitely be tuning into season 4 out of curiosity. Though having no Jessica anymore is already a big fat negative for me.

Major potential spoilers

No way this is true. No way.

Season 1 was AMAZING until Brody didn't blow himself and half the government to smithereens. Season 2 was great (catching
Brody in the hotel is still the highlight of the show).
Season 3 was quite frankly, awful.

With all that said, I'll definitely be tuning into season 4 out of curiosity. Though having no Jessica anymore is already a big fat negative for me.

No way this is true. No way.

Fixed.

I wish they'd reboot and do it all over again with him blowing that building and himself to hell. I really want to see how the show would have handled that. The manhunt that would have gone on, the political repercussions, all of it. They really had a chance to do something incredibly shocking and instead they took the safe path and turned the show into a soap opera for the following two seasons.

I hope s4 can get them back on track, but they gotta take chances.

Blader

“When we first conceived the idea for Homeland, we always imagined the Brody story to last just one season,” he explained.

“We were fully expecting to take Carrie overseas at some point, to do what she was trained to do, as a case officer. It’s just that it’s taken us three seasons to get there, instead of one.

So after two years of swearing up and down that they always planned to carry Brody's story through multiple seasons, and that there were never pressured by Showtime to have him live past S1, he finally cops to the opposite?

Not much traffic in here. How the mighty have fallen!

I mostly enjoyed the beginning of this season, but a few things bothered me:

1. Carrie isn't a very good person and she's nearly impossible to like or empathize for at this point.

2. Carrie is mostly terrible at her job and it's been a really long time since we've seen her be competent. So why is she in such a position of power? It's absurd.

3. Her accusation of treason was hilarious since she's committed it about a dozen times over the course of the show.

4. Also funny was her conversation with Quinn. Of course it's about you, Carrie.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was a bit skeptical, but no Brodys is really making this season better, I think. I enjoyed the first two episodes.

Honestly I think Brody is an overrated character. I never liked him much and never really found him that believable (the writing, not the acting, mind).

Not much traffic in here. How the mighty have fallen!

I mostly enjoyed the beginning of this season, but a few things bothered me:

1. Carrie isn't a very good person and she's nearly impossible to like or empathize for at this point.
I disagree, I found her to be at her most empathic so far. Probably because it's so rare to see TV shows portray women who don't think being a mother is the BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO THEM <3.

I disagree, I found her to be at her most empathic so far. Probably because it's so rare to see TV shows portray women who don't think being a mother is the BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO THEM <3.

Are the two extremes the only places to be? Of course not.

She doesn't want her child and completely abandoned it, pawning her off on her family. The only times we see Carrie with her child, she is clueless and and nearly drowns her.

Why even have her in the first place?

EDIT: Just to be clear, my issue is not with what she did. It's that she didn't earn it. Parents have all kinds of crazy thoughts/emotions that come with the challenges of parenthood, but Carrie has earned none of that, which makes her behavior so appalling. Her daughter is simply just in her way. An inconvenience. Like the people at the wedding were. Carrie is completely without empathy for others, which earns her none from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom