• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn confirmed for PC

dDoc

Hope not, pc gamers should get their own good games. You want quality, buy the product. If i want to play at 4k and 120 frames then I need to buy a pc, pretty simple

But why?

Like this more people get to play the games, the corp makes more money. Some players can play at higher settings.

I own a base PS4 since launch and a getting geriatric PC now. I don't see an issue with games going to PC.

Bryank75

Banned
I somehow doubt they'll notice, losing a few fanboys for the fuck ton of new revenue from PC sales :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Maybe... we will see. I don't overestimate my importance but I will still follow what I feel. I'm happy that more people get to play Horizon, I just don't want this to become too common.

Sygma

I'm not afraid of them cheating me... but they could eventually lose me as a customer. If they keep going down this road.

I honestly don't follow your beliefs here, they seem to be completely arbitrary. There have been a couple of playstation games available on PC and other consoles in the past, does it really make a difference if it comes from their first party studios ?

if anything, selling more will give said studios more means to increase their budget for the sequels or other projects, and more people could enjoy said games because they're going on pc. Its a win win situation.

+ keep in mind, PC don't get the collectors edition and shit, thats strictly on console still

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I own and PS4 and PC, I hope everything comes to every platform! The more games people get to play the better, regardless of platform.
Exclusives are part of the competitive environment, by arguing that there should be none, you are undermining the benefits of competition and the very reason why exclusives exist at all... so I do not think that is wise at all.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Exclusives are part of the competitive environment, by arguing that there should be none, you are undermining the benefits of competition and the very reason why exclusives exist at all... so I do not think that is wise at all.

From the NES to today, the industry has moved from a place where basically 100% of games were exclusive to one platform (not quite true with computers but bear with me) to one where around 98%+ of games are multiplatform. So the industry has been moving in this direction for a long time, to no ill effect IMO. Like have you seen anyone say it is a mistake for Microsoft to put their games on Xbox and PC at the same time? Did anyone say it was stupid for MS to put Cuphead on Switch? I think most would say that these are wise move. And if it is a wise move for MS, it's a wise move for Sony, because the same principles apply.

Over the course of the PS4's existence, according to Wikipedia, there were a grand total of 73 exclusive games, basically 10 a year. Lots of great titles, some bad ones, but the vast majority of PS4 owners are buying the system for more than those games. There are a handful of people, sure, that are maybe buying the PS4 alongside a PC to play the exclusives, but I would argue the potential audience of just putting these games on PC is vastly greater than that small number.

REE Machine

Banned
If everyone who played games on Steam would get a PS4, Sony would be in great shape, yea. Not going to happen. PC gamers aren't going to go out and buy consoles, that's why MS is putting all their games on the platform.
Which is why i say screw'em, five consoles sold esp with services and games etc far beats out even 50 copies of horizon selling

REE Machine

Banned
But why?

Like this more people get to play the games, the corp makes more money. Some players can play at higher settings.

I own a base PS4 since launch and a getting geriatric PC now. I don't see an issue with games going to PC.
Again they make more money people buying inti their product, and it effects their brand, if most or all games go on pc i dont need a ps5 anymore then whats the point of the hardware in thr first place. If i want to play at 4k and 120 fps i need s pc, if you want to play sony exclusives buy a ps5 same goes for nintendo, they wouldnt do this

diffusionx

Gold Member
Which is why i say screw'em, five consoles sold esp with services and games etc far beats out even 50 copies of horizon selling

The point is that it is not a choice between five consoles and 50 copies, it is a choice between 0 copies and 50 copies.

As little evidence I see of PC gamers buying consoles for 1 or 2 games, I see even less of them buying the console and then going whole hog on the console ecosystem.

Again they make more money people buying inti their product, and it effects their brand, if most or all games go on pc i dont need a ps5 anymore then whats the point of the hardware in thr first place. If i want to play at 4k and 120 fps i need s pc, if you want to play sony exclusives buy a ps5 same goes for nintendo, they wouldnt do this

The point is that not everyone wants to invest in a more expensive PC, and that is why the consoles exist. They are two different consumer bases in the same industry. Again, it seems that given the choice between "buy a Sony console or don't play it", PC gamers choose the latter. So might as well offer it to them, that's the route MS is taking and Sony is experimenting with.

Last edited:
Detroit is newer than HZD and so is Death Stranding. And so is TLoU2.

Quantic Dream had publisher credits on their games alongside Sony. Death Stranding was a known timed exclusive at launch. What implication are you making by listing TLoU2? Is there any evidence what-so-ever it will see a PC port?

Voidout

Also you mentioned that if a port wasn't announced in 3 years that a port isn't coming. Does that apply to playstations older titles or their upcoming ps5 games?
Sorry for pestering again but after reading your comment were you just referring to the LOU2 being released sooner than Horizon or the fact it is getting a port?

Caffeine

idk about that honestly just think they are sticking their toe in and testing the waters of having another avenue to sell software into incase hardware sales decrease significantly going into this next gen due to price/adoption.

HE1NZ

Banned
Haha. Sony fixed the regional pricing of this. From the very fair price of $12 to $40. But me and my buds already grabbed it.

TriSuit666

Banned
It would have the opposite effect on me. I bought a PS4 Pro just to play HZD, and sold it soon after. You’re damn right I’ll be buying it again on PC.

Does that mean I’ll automatically buy a PS5? Nope.

Last edited:
Tlou2 is getting a PC port??
giphy.gif

REE Machine

Banned
The point is that it is not a choice between five consoles and 50 copies, it is a choice between 0 copies and 50 copies.

As little evidence I see of PC gamers buying consoles for 1 or 2 games, I see even less of them buying the console and then going whole hog on the console ecosystem.

The point is that not everyone wants to invest in a more expensive PC, and that is why the consoles exist. They are two different consumer bases in the same industry. Again, it seems that given the choice between "buy a Sony console or don't play it", PC gamers choose the latter. So might as well offer it to them, that's the route MS is taking and Sony is experimenting with.
Nope screw 'em they dont buy it they dont play. Thats the point of exclusives

VFXVeteran

Banned
Quantic Dream had publisher credits on their games alongside Sony. Death Stranding was a known timed exclusive at launch. What implication are you making by listing TLoU2? Is there any evidence what-so-ever it will see a PC port?

People keep denying what's happening with Sony releasing exclusives to PC.. I guess because they don't want it to happen. In any case, keep an eye out for more ports... ;)

diffusionx

Gold Member
People keep denying what's happening with Sony releasing exclusives to PC.. I guess because they don't want it to happen. In any case, keep an eye out for more ports... ;)

Also MLB The Show already confirmed multiplatform, before any of their other marquee games.

Nope screw 'em they dont buy it they dont play. Thats the point of exclusives

Sony's job isn't to play console war on forums, but grow the business and maximize revenue.

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
Also MLB The Show already confirmed multiplatform, before any of their other marquee games.

Sony's job isn't to play console war on forums, but grow the business and maximize revenue.
And they will make even more having people buy the system, use services on their platform, buy third party games from licensing deals etc. All of that oans out more than say 70 people buying copies of horizon, probably even more

Stuart360

I'm in denial that what we've seen is evidence of a trend at the level you're suggesting. If it happens, it happens.
Thats just the way gaming is going imo, your games played on whatever device you want to play on.
People say Sony will lose sales on PS5 if they release all their games on PC, which is true to an extent, but there will always be PC only gamers, Console only gamers, and people that play on both. I doubt Sony and Microsoft will be making much money on next gen console sales, if any. Imo they will probably be losing money on console sales, at least in the first 2 or 3 years.. Making money from game sales and licenses is a real thing, and has always been the main way these companies make money, hense how they used to sell consoles at a loss in the old days.
So if Sony only sells 100mil PS5's instead of 120mil, because they release their games on PC (i'm talking hypothetically obviously), i'm sure tthe extra money they make from game sales and licenses would cover that many times over.

diffusionx

Gold Member
And they will make even more having people buy the system, use services on their platform, buy third party games from licensing deals etc. All of that oans out more than say 70 people buying copies of horizon, probably even more

I’ll just say it again, a PC gamer is doing none of that. They don’t buy the system, they don’t use PSN, and they don’t buy third party games for a system they don’t own. This is all gravy, selling to a new audience that would not have bought your game otherwise.

REE Machine

Banned
I’ll just say it again, a PC gamer is doing none of that. They don’t buy the system, they don’t use PSN, and they don’t buy third party games for a system they don’t own. This is all gravy, selling to a new audience that would not have bought your game otherwise.
They don't post they don't play simple, keep them amazing exclusives long enough a pc gamer well but in, one had three friends who wore off consoles, that's until they saw God of war, tloup2 and ghost of tsushima

Top Bottom