• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn confirmed for PC

ethomaz

Banned
That means Horizon Forbidden West will be out at PS5 launch then. 🤔 This original game will be out by September, I'm 99.9% certain.
I believe the first game on PC will release before the second game.
Maybe some 2-3 months of difference.

I believe HFW is a launch window game (it will be released in the first year).
Remember Sony usually releases a big title around March.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
On spot.

Like I predicted it will probably release near HZD2 hype to make PC users wants to play the sequel and buy PS5.

PS5 marketing plan.
Separate markets, if they waited this long to play the original they’ll wait for the inevitable release of the second one three years from now or however long it takes for the 60fps version.

The idea that Sony is releasing this one game to get PC gamers to buy PS5s and the sequels there sounds like a Sony fan coping mechanism rather than an actual strategy from Sony.
I don't know hear much of moving from pc to console or vise versa. It just doesn't happen anywhere as often as people move between Microsoft and Sony hardware.

Life

The idea that Sony is releasing this one game to get PC gamers to buy PS5s and the sequels there sounds like a Sony fan coping mechanism rather than an actual strategy from Sony.

I know it's a good game the same way I know Bloodborne is a good game. But one or two games are not gonna make me switch from PC to console man. Unless it was competitive online and I know I'd spend over 1000 hours on it.

Single player games are expendable - and there's simply not enough good ones to last a console's lifespan.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know hear much of moving from pc to console or vise versa. It just doesn't happen anywhere as often as people move between Microsoft and Sony hardware.
Bloodborne made a lot of PC users buy a PS4.

BTW PS4 Pro marketing strategy aimed PC users... now they are doing the same but with games.

Last edited:
I bought one for the game, as well as sold the console because of the game. Couldn't stand the horrendous frame pacing, and I'll continue to wait it out for a proper PC release.

My point was that no one abandons their hardware for another hardware as far as moving between pc to xbox/ps or vise versa. And i don't think "a lot" of PC users moved to console from the game. Probably a small handful of players in the grand scheme of things.

ethomaz

Banned
I bought one for the game, as well as sold the console because of the game. Couldn't stand the horrendous frame pacing, and I'll continue to wait it out for a proper PC release.

My point was that no one abandons their hardware for another hardware as far as moving between pc to xbox/ps or vise versa. And i don't think "a lot" of PC users moved to console from the game. Probably a small handful of players in the grand scheme of things.
Moved is a strong word.

People choose to buy a PS4 for these games... that doesn’t mean they stopped to play on PC.

Same with the Horizon... Sony is trying to show their games to PC users that never played a PS first-party... if they end liking Horizon then they will need to buy a PS5 and the sequel of wait 3 years to play on PC (probably around Horizon 3 launch).

sol_bad

It's not that far fetched as a strategy. Right now we know that Horizon is coming to PC and we know Detroit is on PC. Bloodborne is also rumoured. We don't know what else is down the pipeline, if they release Spider-Man, God of War, Uncharted Lost Legacy and Ratchet and Clank on PC and if people love those games, people may consider getting a PS5 if they have to wait another 3-6 years for the sequel to be on PC.

Lanrutcon

Did it? Is that a feeling you have or do you have some numbers for us? I'm interested.

BTW PS4 Pro marketing strategy aimed PC users... now they are doing the same but with games.

I don't see it. PC users have different standards, different things that make them tick, etc. The PS4 Pro never delivered to the point where PC gamers jumped ship. The current marketing also doesn't really seem targeted at PC users at all. None of the demos screamed "you can't do this on a PC" and all the talk about SSDs? We've had those for years. They're so commonplace in PC gaming it's not even a thing for us anymore.

I think Sony wants people to buy their stuff (obviously), I just don't think they're doing anything that's particularly aimed at PC gamers.

ACESHIGH

Banned
PS4 Pro aimed at a small subset of console "power" (yeah, don't laugh) users that could have jumped ship to PC gaming back then. Back in 2016 when the Pro was released you had the brand new Pascal and Polaris cards where even an RX 460 or a 1050ti ran circles over a base PS4.
These enhanced consoles weren't aimed at hardcore PC gamers. Picture a seasoned PC gamer having to wait for a dev to enable a patch to play at a higher resolution...

ZywyPL

Banned
BTW PS4 Pro marketing strategy aimed PC users...

With fake resolution and 30FPS? I don't think so. From what I remember many many people laughed at Pro and it's "4K". But I do know a guy who is a turbo PC nerd, who bought a PS3 to literally just play Demon's Souls and sell the console immediately after he finished/maxed out the game, But he was in fact pissed the game runs at 30FPS at best, he said it's one of the best games he ever played, but felt/played like dogshit due to shitty framerate and crappy controls, and he would pay any price to actually play the game on PC instead. I lost contact with him few years ago but I bet he did indeed bought a PS4 just to finish Bloodborne as well, I just know he did. And there are obviously more guys like him out there, but the question is how many really? Do they make any impact at all in the grand scheme of things? Which anyway, selling a console that doesn't bring any profit by itself, for guys who buy a single title, maybe two which they really desperately want to play, and then resell it all together once they're done is absolutely none business for Sony, they barely get anything from such customers. Not to mention when such people buy both the console and games from 2nd hand, it's like they never existed for Sony at all.

Same with the Horizon... Sony is trying to show their games to PC users that never played a PS first-party... if they end liking Horizon then they will need to buy a PS5 and the sequel of wait 3 years to play on PC (probably around Horizon 3 launch).

IMO as long as Sony 1st party titles continue to run at 30FPS they will never convince the PC guys to jump on their console no matter what games it will have. They will play them if they'll eventually appear on PC, or do like in above paragraph, but other than that, they couldn't care less. I mean, if PC guys really wanted to play PS4 exclusives they would get the console long time ago, but it's obviously not the case. Hell, most of the people who have PS4 don't care about Sony's exclusives to begin with, there are 110M users, and the 1st party games reach 10-20M lifetime sales, so there's a huuuge, 90-100M gap between the sold consoles and the actual exclusives sales, so if the PS4 owners aren't interested into Sony's games that much, why would PC guys do? Not to mention the PC guys are PC guys because they want to play the games with M+K setup, something the consoles will mosty likely never allow for, so by bringing the exclusives to PC, they can reach that audience, make a profit, but not the other way around.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't think PC gamers buy consoles just to play one or two games, as a general rule. Waiting 3 years for HZD2 is not a problem, go on any PC forum and you'll see people who waited 13 years to play Halo 3 for example.

The markets are different. Sony surely knows this, HZD is not being ported to PC to sell PS5s, it's to sell copies of HZD to PC gamers.

PS4 Pro aimed at a small subset of console "power" (yeah, don't laugh) users that could have jumped ship to PC gaming back then. Back in 2016 when the Pro was released you had the brand new Pascal and Polaris cards where even an RX 460 or a 1050ti ran circles over a base PS4.
These enhanced consoles weren't aimed at hardcore PC gamers. Picture a seasoned PC gamer having to wait for a dev to enable a patch to play at a higher resolution...

Late in the PS3/360 generation, I think the PC saw a lot of growth as gamers saw you could spend a relatively small amount of money and get a PC that just crushed everything. IIRC, spending like $500-$600 got you a PC that could run any 360 game at 1080p/60fps for a time. I think that's what the PS4 Pro was meant to head off... and I think it did, honestly.

As anyone who has played Dark Souls 3 or Sekiro on PC could tell you... Bloodborne locked to PS4 in that state is a damn crime against vidya.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I was hyped, but now I'm losing interest. I wish I had a date to look forward to or some news. Then again there's a global pandemic going on so I try not to get too frustrated.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Sony is selling their games on PC because:

1) They already have almost full version on PC anyway
2) They are moving from hardware selling model to software selling model. They want the same additional numbers as MS gets with their exclusives.
3) PC shows the best iteration of the game regardless of console generation.

Lastly, you won't be waiting 3yrs for a PC port. If it takes that long, it's not coming to PC.

Last edited:

Holammer

2) They are moving from hardware selling model to software selling model. They want the same additional numbers as MS gets with their exclusives.

Lastly, you won't be waiting 3yrs for a PC port. If it takes that long, it's not coming to PC.

Naughty Dog showed Uncharted running on PC builds almost a decade ago now. Getting more Sony first party titles (and Guerilla doing the port themselves) on PC will finally shatter the annoying myth of console games being developed on fabled Dwarven forged developer hardware.
Ironically we'll know if you're right on your second point when they trot out the Uncharted Trilogy on PC.

ClosBSAS

Honestly, if you ask me...while the game is good, the graphics when put on PC are not really that.... Sony games just have too much hype and ppl believe them to be the second coming of Christ, but when put on PC...its just...another pc game.

I mean, the low pc requirements is telling enough.

BRZBlue

Honestly, if you ask me...while the game is good, the graphics when put on PC are not really that.... Sony games just have too much hype and ppl believe them to be the second coming of Christ, but when put on PC...its just...another pc game.

I mean, the low pc requirements is telling enough.

It IS over 3 years old. HZD isn't exactly a spring-chicken graphically.

Look at the difference between DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal.

But isn't our only evidence any of this is true a three-year-old game receiving a PC port. If we start seeing more recent games getting PC ports I'd be inclined to believe this but at the moment the jury seems to be still out

Voidout

But isn't our only evidence any of this is true a three-year-old game receiving a PC port. If we start seeing more recent games getting PC ports I'd be inclined to believe this but at the moment the jury seems to be still out
Well even going by him not all titles will receive ports. If it isn't announced relatively soon after a port doesn't exist. Sony still wants to sell ps5s.

If I only had a time machine to go back and see the reactions to Twisted Metal 1 & 2, Jet Moto, or even the more recent Beyond Two Souls being released on PC.

History shows this is business as usual for Sony.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It IS over 3 years old. HZD isn't exactly a spring-chicken graphically.

Look at the difference between DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal.

And yet, it's still touted as looking better than any PC game to date. All the claims from Sony fans still hold water (apparantly).. any and all exclusives look better than any 3rd party PC game.

Naughty Dog showed Uncharted running on PC builds almost a decade ago now. Getting more Sony first party titles (and Guerilla doing the port themselves) on PC will finally shatter the annoying myth of console games being developed on fabled Dwarven forged developer hardware.
Ironically we'll know if you're right on your second point when they trot out the Uncharted Trilogy on PC.
I do believe consoles can benefit from being fixed hardware but this myth about console optimization is overblown. People still take John Carmack's statement about needing a PC an order of magnitude more powerful than a console to run a game with equivalent settings. This was true in the early 90's but as time went by, the edge console had diminished.

Nowadays that advantage is pretty damn slim. If PC hardware manufacturers bother updating their drivers, equivalent PC hardware will be generally capable of producing something quite close to consoles.

Sygma

I paid 150 euro for GOW collectors edition alone, again 150 for Death Stranding, I always buy their exclusives on launch and always at least the limited steelbook edition.

I spend a huge amount on PlayStation and as a customer deserve to be heard above PC gamers. It is PC gamers who are entitled since we bought a console to play such games and PC gamers just went on port-begging.

So my thousands of euro spent on PlayStation obviously doesn't mean shit to them.... too busy chasing people who don't want a PlayStation. I think the saying goes 'one in the hand is worth two in the bush'

My guess is that most PC gamers will wait for a Steam sale to buy the games anyway.

I mean technically speaking you played the game years before for something YOU VALUE

You're not cheated out of anything

REE Machine

Banned
Like I said, entitled babies. The PC version doesn't make your version of the game evaporate. It's just a way for more people to play it, and a way for Sony to make more money and make better games. It's good for everyone except fanboys.
They would make even more money by having people buy their hardware, games on said hardware linked with services, third party deals etc. And thats a fact

REE Machine

Banned
Does this mean that another PS4 exclusive - Spiderman will soon make its way to the PC as well?
Hope not, pc gamers should get their own good games. You want quality, buy the product. If i want to play at 4k and 120 frames then I need to buy a pc, pretty simple

I paid 150 euro for GOW collectors edition alone, again 150 for Death Stranding, I always buy their exclusives on launch and always at least the limited steelbook edition.

I spend a huge amount on PlayStation and as a customer deserve to be heard above PC gamers. It is PC gamers who are entitled since we bought a console to play such games and PC gamers just went on port-begging.

So my thousands of euro spent on PlayStation obviously doesn't mean shit to them.... too busy chasing people who don't want a PlayStation. I think the saying goes 'one in the hand is worth two in the bush'

My guess is that most PC gamers will wait for a Steam sale to buy the games anyway.
I’m also saddened to realize corporations care about my money more than they care about my well-being.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They would make even more money by having people buy their hardware, games on said hardware linked with services, third party deals etc. And thats a fact

If everyone who played games on Steam would get a PS4, Sony would be in great shape, yea. Not going to happen. PC gamers aren't going to go out and buy consoles, that's why MS is putting all their games on the platform.

Bryank75

Banned
I mean technically speaking you played the game years before for something YOU VALUE

You're not cheated out of anything
I'm not afraid of them cheating me... but they could eventually lose me as a customer. If they keep going down this road.

Top Bottom