• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn confirmed for PC

nowhat

Detroit, Dreams, Death Stranding and of course HZD so far.
Dreams hasn't been officially confirmed has it? And as Herman Hulst said, "releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC".

(Just to be clear, I have nothing against HZD coming to PC - but I wouldn't take this as an indication that every first-party title will come to PC, especially at launch. And of the games you listed, Detroit and DS are not first-party)

Last edited:

Dane

large.jpg

There was a Phil Spencer variant here

Cope

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
HZD is actually the first Sony’s IP except for the MMOs.

He said Sony exclusives. Those were Sony exclusives

Edit: I left out MLB The Show - and that one IS a Sony IP isn't it?

Last edited:

Fbh

Man I don't know what to do next gen anymore.

First I wanted a Ps5, then we get Death Stranding on PC just months after Ps4 and with Horizon we get the first 100% Sony exclusive coming to PC, which sort of opens the door for more Sony exclusives on PC moving forward, and PC became the obvious choice for next gen. But then we also get series X details and depending on how much it ends up costing it might blow PC away for couple of years as far as the price/performance ratio goes.

Last edited:
When was this confirmed? I know Detroit it's already on PC, DS soon

I know this is still rumours but after MLB Show, Detroit and now Horizon Zero Dawn the snowball seems to be rolling and it gets bigger..

People are already have second thought on everything...

Its posible for other game like Dreams or Uncharted to come to PC latter....(Or every other upcoming PS5 game)

Last edited:

nowhat

Which means it's better with keyboard and mouse :lollipop_kissing_smiling:
Any game with free camera movement = keyboard and mouse
Except if you have to dodge into a certain direction that is not easily achievable with a keyboard?

(I'm not sure if it applies here, usually dodging doesn't require that much precision in HZD. But something like NieR:A - I think you'd be insane to play it with KB+M. Fight me.)

daninthemix

Man I don't know what to do next gen anymore.

First I wanted a Ps5, then we get Death Stranding on PC just months after Ps4 and with Horizon we get the first 100% Sony exclusive coming to PC, which sort of opens the door for more Sony exclusives on PC moving forward, and PC became the obvious choice for next gen. But then we also get series X details and depending on how much it ends up costing it might blow PC away for couple of years as far as the price/performance ratio goes.
I mean, maybe wait for even one next gen game to be revealed before making a decision?

nowhat

So he made up the number for no reason at all.
The point about the best-selling new IP (at least exclusive one at that) this gen still stands - care to name any that'd have sold 10M+ units?

(this obviously doesn't include F2P games)

Last edited:

Vroadstar

Gold Member
I know this is still rumours but after MLB Show, Detroit and now Horizon Zero Dawn the snowball seems to be rolling and it gets bigger..

People are already have second thought on everything...

Its posible for other game like Dreams or Uncharted to come to PC latter....(Or every other upcoming PS5 game)

Kinda stretching it since Helmut also mentioned
releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases]

nowhat

The point is 15M =! 10M

Please stop posting fake sales data.
I didn't? I didn't make the 15M assertion - and as it was 10M a year ago, reasonable to assume it'd be higher now, but I digress. My point being, HZD did exceptionally well for a new IP, that's quite indisputable.

ethomaz

Banned
So he made up the number for no reason at all.
Probably.
But there are a slide from a company using with VGC data that could be what he is referring added some more due the time passed but I’m not sure.

It is probably over 10m shipment depending on how much they shipped in that year but nowhere close to 15m of course.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
There you go, even Sony's very own 1st party exclusives coming to PC as well, no need to own a PS5. /s

This and DS, curious to see Decima engine running on PC.

Kinda stretching it since Helmut also mentioned
releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases]

Indeed, not only it's a start of a new IP as oppose to other exclusives than have been exclusive to PS systems for decades even (GoW), but it's also made up from the ground up for PC-like components, so I guess there was very little to do to port the game to PC, and most of the time taken was to tweak the settings even higher than the game already offers on the PS4.

Last edited:

Entroyp

I really really wish that the people saying they’re interested in this game on PC follow through and the game is a success on PC. It deserves it.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Except if you have to dodge into a certain direction that is not easily achievable with a keyboard?

(I'm not sure if it applies here, usually dodging doesn't require that much precision in HZD. But something like NieR:A - I think you'd be insane to play it with KB+M. Fight me.)
I've found that precise movement has more to do with control of the camera than direct control of the character. Hence why you'll never see speedrunners choose to play anything with a gamepad, when kb/m is an option. Using my aim + keyboard gets me where I want to go better than steering my guy with an analog stick, if you ask me.

Aranea

I'm glad that more people are able to enjoy Horizon Dawn. I still don't understand why some people are against this idea of more games being ported to PC but i suppose console loyal fans will forever be a thing.

Akuji

giving pc players a taste of a great game so they gonna buy ps5 for the sequel. sounds good.
is there any pc footage online? always ps4 pro footage it seems. i dont think the game is very scaleable so probably pretty much the same. maybe bit better lightning + shadows and true 4k is all we can get + higher fps.
i would love to play this on my pc. but i dont have a nice way to hook my pc up to my home cinema ... hopefully ps5 will get an updated 60fps version as well. i was ike 10hours into the story when botw sidetracked me away from it. enjoyed it so far.

I didn't? I didn't make the 15M assertion - and as it was 10M a year ago, reasonable to assume it'd be higher now, but I digress. My point being, HZD did exceptionally well for a new IP, that's quite indisputable.
HZD
1st year 7.6M
2nd year ~2.4M(-67%)
3rd year ??

Probably around ~11.5 million units based on the sales trajectory far away from over 15 million units like he claimed.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I wish Sony just confirmed all games coming to PC would make it easier for me I'd just go PC and Nintendo. And cross play for all games would be the icing on the cake.

Currently I'm PS4 and Switch, I only pay for PSN Plus but I still don't like paying for online as I don't play it enough for it to be worth it.

The only thing keeping me away from going PC is lack of cross online play and PS4 exclusives. The cross online play seems to be getting better, if Sony just confirmed all games coming to PC (even if they are timed exclusives) I'd be interested going PC.

Unfortunately Horizon port isn't enough I don't want to take a risk going PC just over a few exclusive games going PC.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Indeed, not only it's a start of a new IP as oppose to other exclusives than have been exclusive to PS systems for decades even (GoW), but it's also made up from the ground up for PC-like components, so I guess there was very little to do to port the game to PC, and most of the time taken was to tweak the settings even higher than the game already offers on the PS4.

Decima engine was designed for PS4-exclusives from the start. The truth is every game these days is made from the ground up for PC-like components. Consoles are PC-like. God of War and everything else can be ported to the PC easily, and potentially make a lot of money, which is why I expect Sony to end up putting most if not all their games on the platform. It's the same reason why ostensibly PC franchises get ported to console - it just makes sense to do it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
What PC gamer is going to buy a 9 TF machine to play the sequel that he knows already will be coming to PC..? With worse graphics and performance than his PC?

Also bet the sequel comes to PC a year max after release.

I actually did this for Rise of Tomb Raider... liked the game but the sequel looked and ran worse on Xbox One than TR2013 did on my PC.

In for a penny in for a pound, Sony isn't doing this to push PS5s but to sell their games on PC and that's what they are going to do.

M0G

Having not played a lot of side shit and the expansion this makes double dipping very appealing. Gonna be so much more fun on PC it's gotta be said.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
when Sony releases games in other platforms, I like they do it as quietly as possible (like trying to hide it so they don’t get nailed by their own fans)

they did the same for MLB multiplat gaming coming in 2021. They didn’t even announce it.

VFXVet was right. For all the haters doubting him, got to admit he was right the whole time. He just had the info too early.
The Herman Hulst quote says different. It sounds like Sony is essentially giving PC a taste to try to entice them to play on PlayStation

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The Herman Hulst quote says different. It sounds like Sony is essentially giving PC a taste to try to entice them to play on PlayStation
When Sony is going to taste the sweet money from sales on PC, it's probably going to be different. If they would want to really entice them to play on PS, they would probably release TLoU. But it was probably harder to do that, since Decima is already ported to PC, thanks to Death Stranding.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Good for PC guys. Horizon 2 will probably be only on PS5 for years so instead of waiting this time, those PC guys might get a PS5

Flick

Banned
When Sony is going to taste the sweet money from sales on PC, it's probably going to be different. If they would want to really entice them to play on PS, they would probably release TLoU. But it was probably harder to do that, since Decima is already ported to PC, thanks to Death Stranding.

True. It’s super easy to release those games on PC. It’s like free money basically.
And console gamers != PC gamers for the most of the time.
There is only a fraction of those. And again, sold hardware doesn’t really matter that much anymore. It’s the sold software and services how sony makes money.

Top Bottom